ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Orangbloods is the modern American family ...)

- RIP @hornsfan65, thank you for your service. I wish you would have given OB a chance to respond. My condolences go out to his family.

- @Ketchum it’s not easy but I guarantee you that you and your family are better off without your father around because that story says it all. I recently found out my wife is expecting our first son, so that hit close to the heart. Thanks for sharing...hang in there.

- I have to disagree with you on Urban Meyer, he is going to be suspended 2 to 4 games but will still be the coach at OSU next year. I just do NOT see OSU getting rid of one of the best coaches in college football history. They are trying to figure out how to keep him.

Reactions: mirvin and coopdog
Thanks for sharing your story Ketch. It was a tough read, but (as previously stated) it was well written and very powerful. It touched close to home with me as I also grew up without a father figure in my life.
I'm sorry to hear of your grandfather passing (as well as the OBs that we just lost). I respect the huevos it took to demand a face to face with the POS listed as father on your birth certificate. You're a better man than I for not giving him a broken nose to remember you by. Too many men out there are never prepared to deal with the reality of being a dad - no matter how much time has passed.

You can take solace in the fact that you are a much better man and father than the one you never really had.
You've spoken highly of your mom over the years. I hope she's still a rock in your life.

This place is a modern (albeit often dysfunctional) family. It takes care of its own.

I pray for healing and comfort for Mary and her son as they grieve the loss of their beloved husband/father. I hope they have plenty of family and friends to step in and fill the huge void left by this loss.

hornsfan65. Thank you for your service. So sorry it ended this way. Rest in peace Ranger!

I don't participate much on the board anymore. A few posts now and then, and nothing very memorable or substantial. But, it's been a tough last couple of months around here. It's been magnified by some things I'm personally dealing with relating to my own family.

So, I admit that today I had myself a little bit of a cry. Over the unimaginable pain of a man alone in the darkness of his car, making the ultimate decision; the unimaginable pain of a wife and little boy left behind; the unimaginable pain of a family that lost a son to a senseless murder; the (personally) familiar but horrendous pain of a family that lost a good man to natural causes.

If there's a merciful God somewhere out there, my prayer is that he gives those tortured souls the peace, and perhaps understanding if possible, that they need. Peace of mind, peace of heart - the kind of peace that allows for fruitful lives filled with contented moments, appreciation for the ones still with us and the ability always to see light through the crowding darkness.

And yes, I have to admit, this community has seen me through some difficult times as well, which are neither here nor there. But, all this has made me realize that I'm grateful for it, too.

Geoff, I didn't know about your real dad. He sounds like a syphilitic dong. I'm very sorry, it must be difficult and shocking to hear those things that he said to you. You're a far better man than he is or will ever be, to the extent he even fits the definition of one.
Many great posts on here so far but I love this one, thanks.

Ketch, I am really sorry about your dad dude. The fact of the matter is that our dads, as a generation, were just really the suck. I mean, could you imagine acting like that to your children? My dad was pretty much just as bad. Anyway, I feel ya dude. Its a good thing that we are not passing down that family curse to our children. I never had the kind of relationship with my dad that I have with my kids. And at the end of the day, it is his loss Ketch. Your dad, and mine, missed out on what a joy it is to have a great relationship with their sons. I would not trade my relationship with my son for anything...anything!

Damn Ketch. First, I applaud the entire piece. Best ever which is a big ole mouthful.

As I read about your relationship with your father, I was dumbfounded. I am old school. I cannot fathom the audacity. You are a much better man than I. I feel lousy for you and know we all share that.
The heart and nervous system of Longhorn nation is a real site to behold. It is unique in that is is always actionable. Over my many years on this site, I’ve been moved to tears over the outcomes you miserable pricks are capable of producing together.

Wow Geoff, it is difficult to imagine your biological father's reaction. Thanks so much for having the courage to share. My only son died after 5 days, and there's been a hole in my heart ever since. Later I was blessed with two beautiful daughters, and my focus on them was healing to my wounds. Just focus on your wife and kids and love on them; that is your best revenge, becoming the father to them that you did not have. And I'm old enough to be your Dad, and even though we have never met, I admire your work and passion for this board. I would adopt you in a heartbeat! Love and hugs and prayers!

Love you to ketch.. OB is a family no doubt..just wish I could a get a break from paying 9.95 to be in the family..:)

I’m a creeper. My input to this site has and will always be minimal, however after reading the posts early this morning, this site amazes me. There is so many people that are so thoughtful and I just want to let all you guys know you are all amazing people. Thanks to everyone for giving me so much good content to keep up with. I’m happy to be a member here! And @Ketchum, man you really know how to bring a tear to an eye!!! RIP 65!

@Ketchum I have never shared publicly the story of my read dad. I am currently 51 years old and I met my real dad at the age of 40. Apparently he found my mom on a social media site and contacted her and asked if she knew if I was interested in knowing/meeting him. Now a little back story. I have always believed/known he was killed in a car accident when i was very young. My mom was told this by his family. So that is what she told me as I got older. Apparently he was a real piece of work and she never had a desire to really know if this was true. She just assumed it was and honestly she probably did not want him in my life... My grandparents took me in when i was around 12 so me relationship with my mom is what I call complicated as well.

So on to the meeting. Of course my mom was stunned to hear from him all these years later. She thought it was a hoax at first but after a little investigation it really was him. She then contacted me about month later and told me the news.. Yeah it was like WTF?
So after not wanting to meet him I decided to do so. Him, me and my mom met in Houston for about two hours. It was weird as hell. Do not want to bore anyone with the details of the meeting but is very superficial.. 11 years later I have not heard from him again. It is what it is at this point. He never told me I was a mistake etc etc but his actions pretty much tell me where I stand....

thanks for sharing your story Ketch. It has helped me get my story off my chest..

Last edited:
Your father has failed you. But despite that, “cooldaddy” from KENS has buIlt the No. 1 online site for Longhorn sports, married a beautiful woman, given birth and is loving with all his heart two beautiful children, and has shown himself to be a man of integrity, wisdom, hard-work, great heart, kindness, and humility.

That stranger in CA is blind to the best thing that ever happened to him, his arrogance & self-centeredness has warped him into a selfish bastard. Maybe God wanted you away from that dark soul so his poison wouldn’t infect you.

I’d be damn proud to be your father. Thank you for this site and making my life, and this whole freakin’ world, better, Ketch.
This x infinity.

Reactions: bobabbott
Without going into too much personal stuff, this was your best work, Ketch. Also, despite some differences in our philosophies that have caused us to clash on different topics, I have no doubt you and I would be buddies if I lived in Austin. You, and all the mods, but specifically Suchomel, have allowed and encouraged this awesome community to grow into the large, extended family that it is. Tonight was an example of your best work, and I am sorry it had to be led with such a crappy personal story. Not crappy because of anything you had to do with, but crappy because there is some idiot out there who believes his friends and the money he made in the tech world give him carte blanche to sh*t on his own flesh and blood. Meh, wash that crap right off. You were better than your old man when you slid out the womb, and no amount of stock options or fancy dinner parties in Silicon Valley is ever gonna change that. We love you @Ketchum , and, unlike your biological father, you are stuck with us.
Well said.

Reactions: HuffTex
I’m terribly sorry that your biological father said those things to you @Ketchum.

I don’t know how you kept from slamming his head down on the table to be quite honest. Those were hurtful, terrible things. He should have just said he was a piece a shit and he’s sorry. Maybe throw in that he feels too guilty to carry on a relationship. But he went with world class asshole instead.

I imagine you were much better off not having a person like that in your life.

Cheers to this family we’ve got here. I still can’t believe we lost @hornsfan65. I feel so terrible for his wife and son. I so wish he’d been able to fight through it somehow.

Reactions: bclear1
Ketch that beginning story was just heart wrenching but also very humbling because it lets me know I’m not alone....my biological father was never in my life and he never attempted unless you call a Facebook friend request when I was 16 an attempt but I was young and just wasn’t ready to have that one on one you had because I could not get over the fact he let my mom be a single mother and he never attempted to help he just wanted to do drugs and steal her money and he made other people fill the role he was supposed to have and he never paid child support...but the thing I find most humbling in that piece is when you list what he said to you...it takes a strong ass man to take that ketch and turn it into a positive and for that I can’t respect you enough ketch that is inspirational to me...my biological father passed away a couple years ago from heart failure and I was waking up to get to an 8am class only to see a random message from my sisters who were his children from another relationship and I just remember being stunned because I was not sure whether to be mad or sad...I never got to ask the questions I wanted to....but ketch you are damn good father and I believe those who go through the situations like ours turn out to be the men their fathers couldn’t and I look forward to the day I have kids so I can be what I thought a father was....Orangebloods is like a second family to me although I’ve only been on the site since 2015 I feel like I know some of the members on here better than some in real life and I will always have to thank my uncle @ronster66 for introducing me to this site and being that father figure that was always missing...for taking me to Texas games as a child and still to this day as an young adult...for that I can never repay him...some of my darkest days this board helped me get through them...I can’t wait to meet some of y’all at the meet ups or even at games...Hook’ Em fellas

In the immortal words of Will Smith from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when his dad leaves him yet again:

"Why should I be mad? At least he said goodbye this time. You ain't got to do nothing Uncle Phil, Ain't like I'm still 5 years old, you know. Ain't like I'm gonna be sitting up every night asking my my mom "hey when's daddy coming home?" ya know? Who needs him? Hey he wasn't there to teach me how to shoot my first basket, but I learned, didn't I? And I got pretty damn good at it, too, didn't I Uncle Phil? Got through my first date without him. Right? I learned how to drive. I learned how to shave. I learned how to fight without him. I had FOURTEEN...great birthdays without him, he never even sent me a damn card-THE HELL WITH HIM!!!!

I didn't need him then and I don't need him now. No you know what Uncle Phil? I'm gonna get through college without him (YOU DID @Ketchum ). I'm gonna get a great job without him (YOU DID @Ketchum ). I'm gonna marry me a beautiful honey (YOU DID @Ketchum ), and have me a whole bunch of kids (YOU DID @Ketchum ). I'm gonna be a better father than he ever was (YOU ARE @Ketchum ). And I sure as hell don't need him for that, CAUSE AIN'T A DAMN THING HE COULD EVER TEACH ME, ABOUT HOW TO LOVE MY KID!!"

Beautiful piece. One of life truths ,i have learned the hard way,is you can't chase ghosts. Maya Angelo spoke the truth when she said when someone shows you who they are, believe them . Stay hard

Dang Ketch, that was an intensely personal article. Thanks for opening up to the board, and all I will say is your dad is a total ass who doesn’t deserve you.

Was off the board the last day or so . Just read from your first thought what happened, and went and read those threads. What a sad time for OB, plain and simple. Bryce, so sorry for everything you went through. Thank you for your sacrifices and prayers to the family. Great work to those of you who helped last night. That gave me chills to see. I can’t seem to read beyond thought 1. Maybe tomorrow. RIP friend.

Be everything to your twins that your biological father was not to you.

Great column.
This is a fantastic point. One unintended outcome from your dad being such a dick, is that your kids are going to have an incredible father who makes sure they know how important they are to him. Silver linings Ketch!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT