ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Patterson has been UT's daddy lately and that needs to change)

You’re not a doctor Ketch, c’mon, and even if you were a brain surgeon you haven’t diagnosed Sam. It’s just so speculative for any of us to opine on complicated medical situations none of us know anything about.

Don’t you think the the UT doctors (and probably other doctors offering 2nd opinions) are being very careful with this young man?
You can't be too careful. That's what I'm a proponent of... carefulness.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Not a single thought, at least a word or two on the World Series?

Kind of odd IYAM.
I posted it in the middle of game five. Kind of hard to comment too much without knowing the outcome of a critical game five.

And I didn't feel like getting into it over a particular Astros player.

I posted it in the middle of game five. Kind of hard to comment too much without knowing the outcome of a critical game five.

And I didn't feel like getting into it over a particular Astros player.

Thoughts on @keving35 here

proxy.php

Reactions: txfight and teflojr
let's see your top five.

My response was not really about list 5 other decommits that were more important, but rather the gushing of what his presence would be to this offense, SPECIFICALLY in light of how Brewer has played. I have NO doubt that as early as next season, Brewer will be a better TE than Smythe has shown in his Domer career. Essentially Brewer is on course to be a bigger version of David Thomas.

* I hate that the Eagles are good.

I thought I would never see the day... :D

Jason Peters being out could really impact the Eagles chances later down the road. Vaiti (sp) is an okay filler but you can bet NFL teams are going to exploit his absence. Vaiti is going to need a lot of help from a RB in passing situations.

why would it be a joke?
I haven't seen anything from any Big 12 team that makes me think they belong in the playoff. Certainly not from OU. I'm as big a B12 homer as I can be, and I think our depth is as good as any conference in the land, but we don't have any clear powers at the top end. Texas will be there soon, but in the meantime I think the B12 will (and should) miss the CFP this year.

Reactions: txfight
My response was not really about list 5 other decommits that were more important, but rather the gushing of what his presence would be to this offense, SPECIFICALLY in light of how Brewer has played. I have NO doubt that as early as next season, Brewer will be a better TE than Smythe has shown in his Domer career. Essentially Brewer is on course to be a bigger version of David Thomas.
easy now. That's getting a little carried away IMO.

And Brewer is just a small peg in the offense THIS year. Smythe's presence would greatly impact the offense this year in a number of capacities. It's the difference between having a bunch of JAGs and a guy that will start for an NFL team some day.

I haven't seen anything from any Big 12 team that makes me think they belong in the playoff. Certainly not from OU. I'm as big a B12 homer as I can be, and I think our depth is as good as any conference in the land, but we don't have any clear powers at the top end. Texas will be there soon, but in the meantime I think the B12 will (and should) miss the CFP this year.
did you miss the flag planting in Columbus?

I'm not sure you're nearly the Big 12 homer you are claiming to be.

Oklahoma kicked Ohio State's ass in Columbus. You're letting confirmation bias take over if that doesn't stand out.

easy now. That's getting a little carried away IMO.

And Brewer is just a small peg in the offense THIS year. Smythe's presence would greatly impact the offense this year in a number of capacities. It's the difference between having a bunch of JAGs and a guy that will start for an NFL team some day.

I'm not looking at star ranking. I already see a guy in Brewer who's got what it takes easily to play in the NFL. He's already north of 230. He's an adept AND willing blocker. He's a physical runner after the catch. I mean, if you want to consider Brewer a JAG then feel free to do so. But he's more than that. Much more.

Reactions: slothrop
Posted this in incorrect thread:

After re-watching the game, I am concerned that the TCU defense will decimate our offensive line.

The OC better have a plan that fits the players capabilities (regardless of QB) or it will be a long night.

Please, no QB rotation, pick one and stay with him. The OC plan cannot be the same for both.

I'm not looking at star ranking. I already see a guy in Brewer who's got what it takes easily to play in the NFL. He's already north of 230. He's an adept AND willing blocker. He's a physical runner after the catch. I mean, if you want to consider Brewer a JAG then feel free to do so. But he's more than that. Much more.
I'm not the guy comparing him to the greatest tight end the school has had in at least the last 27 year after he's caught less than one pass per game this year.

He's not an impact player right now. He has a chance to be down the road, but I'd suggest slowing down with the hyperbole.

He'd never see the field with Smythe in front of him. He plays now out of pure need.

is there really.... really... a top four?
IMO it would be
1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. ND

4 - 10

To answer your question, no there probably isn't at this point. 1,2 and 3 are locks in my opinion and ND took Georgia to the end losing by 1 point to lock in the 3rd spot. Then there is Wisky, who hasn't played anyone yet so i'm throwing them in there just based on 8-0 record. Oklahoma narrowly escaped an awful Baylor team and descent Kstate team. Their defense is garbage and they lose at least one more game probably OSU. tOSU is looking stronger now than they did against OU and PSU still looks strong minus their debacle against tOSU.

I'm not the guy comparing him to the greatest tight end the school has had in at least the last 27 year after he's caught less than one pass per game this year.

He's not an impact player right now. He has a chance to be down the road, but I'd suggest slowing down with the hyperbole.

He'd never see the field with Smythe in front of him. He plays now out of pure need.

I'm comparing him to Thomas at the same stage and how he projects forward.

a. Who pretended that the staff works in a static universe.
b. No one ignored Mehringer moving up to the booth.
c. Let's not pretend that things were THAT dramatic, they were just better. More tactically tight.

Are you speculating that Mehringer ,a guy whose position has struggled all season in various answers, was the No.1 reason for improvement this week.

Don't be lazy, finish your thought.
Your position of it's all on Beck, good or bad can only be true if the roles of the staff are static. Improvement can be the result of assistance from others. It also either ignores any possible reason for and impact of Mehringer being in the both.

Things were dramatically different at times considering it was it was Shane, not Sam leading the offense. We have been lectured regarding Shane's inadequacies. It wasn't just tight, RBs received back to back carries. The ball was thrown deep and over the middle.

You took the position that if Beck is blamed, he is also the one to be applauded. I contend that he more likely had outside help than an epiphany.

The WR group needs to improve at blocking, and I suspect that has much to do with playing time. They have also saved the QBs and drives by making many toe in bounds catches on the sideline. The group is definitely not one of the glaring issues with this offense.

I am allowing for the possibility that improvement in playcalling is from Mehringer, Herman...,not just Beck finally figuring things out.

I don't know what caused the change, but to me, it was dramatic and could have resulted from several factors, not exclusively Beck. Your position, as written shuts the door on everything other than Beck being the reason.

Ask David Ash's opinion on this. Too much at stake for an 18,19, 20 year old to push the envelope. They have the rest of their lives to think about.
Not every QB who gets a concussion (very common occurrence) turns into David Ash and has to stop playing. even then the ultimate issues that caused him to stop ended up being migraine related.

So just wrap Sam up in bubble wrap the rest of the year and ban him from playing just because? I’m inclined to go with actual doctors and if he’s been cleared to play then he should start

Not every QB who gets a concussion (very common occurrence) turns into David Ash and has to stop playing. even then the ultimate issues that caused him to stop ended up being migraine related.

So just wrap Sam up in bubble wrap the rest of the year and ban him from playing just because? I’m inclined to go with actual doctors and if he’s been cleared to play then he should start
I was making a general comment about concussions for college football players. If medical doctors clear Sam to play in this instance, I have no problem with him playing.

In general though, if concussion protocol changes so that there is a mandatory amount of time that must pass after a player is diagnosed with a concussion, I'd be in favor of erring on side of caution for players that are this young, for injuries that could affect them the rest of their lives.

I think championship college football teams need to be 2 deep at EVERY position.

As for Ash, I'm no doctor but could the migraines be a result of so many concussions? Do we even know at this point?

IMO it would be
1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. ND

4 - 10

To answer your question, no there probably isn't at this point. 1,2 and 3 are locks in my opinion and ND took Georgia to the end losing by 1 point to lock in the 3rd spot. Then there is Wisky, who hasn't played anyone yet so i'm throwing them in there just based on 8-0 record. Oklahoma narrowly escaped an awful Baylor team and descent Kstate team. Their defense is garbage and they lose at least one more game probably OSU. tOSU is looking stronger now than they did against OU and PSU still looks strong minus their debacle against tOSU.
a. I won't quibble too much with your top three. You can absolutely justify that.

b. Nowhere in that second part did you mention that Oklahoma beat Ohio State in Columbus by two touchdowns.

I'm comparing him to Thomas at the same stage and how he projects forward.
I think comparing them at the same stage is not apples to apples. I'm just saying to be careful with those projections.

Technically, Kerstter is ahead of Justin Blalock if we're simply comparing year one of his body of work vs. year one of a redshirting Blalock.

ADVERTISEMENT