ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Patterson has been UT's daddy lately and that needs to change)

Not every QB who gets a concussion (very common occurrence) turns into David Ash and has to stop playing. even then the ultimate issues that caused him to stop ended up being migraine related.

So just wrap Sam up in bubble wrap the rest of the year and ban him from playing just because? I’m inclined to go with actual doctors and if he’s been cleared to play then he should start
I'm only suggesting bubble wrap for an extra week.

I was making a general comment about concussions for college football players. If medical doctors clear Sam to play in this instance, I have no problem with him playing.

In general though, if concussion protocol changes so that there is a mandatory amount of time that must pass after a player is diagnosed with a concussion, I'd be in favor of erring on side of caution for players that are this young, for injuries that could affect them the rest of their lives.

I think championship college football teams need to be 2 deep at EVERY position.

As for Ash, I'm no doctor but could the migraines be a result of so many concussions? Do we even know at this point?
The science behind all of this is developing, which is why I'm dubious of doctors clearing kids days after suffering once because they were symptom free for a whole three straight days.

Great write up Ketch, soccer comments aside. I might have added that maybe Shane (or Sam) still can't get to a third read because this O-Line doesn't give him enough time.

I will admit to thinking Sam is the long term solution but I think both QB's need to keep developing; football is a violent game and Sam's style of play, and HS history, make me think his backup will always be an important position.

But is it me, or do we get the ball in the hands of CJ, RHM, and LJH more when Shane is in the game? I didn't break down film to verify that... I leave that to the experts. And I'm not saying that's Sam's fault, it could be the plays Beck calls when Sam is in the game. But I think it's very important to keep doing that, because every one of those receivers is 1 broken tackle from a TD on just about any pass.

The science behind all of this is developing, which is why I'm dubious of doctors clearing kids days after suffering once because they were symptom free for a whole three straight days.
I'm not disagreeing with that one bit. I think in 2-5 years, there will be a rule stating any player with a confirmed concussion will have to wait 7-14 days before any contact. I would be 100% OK with that rule.

I think comparing them at the same stage is not apples to apples. I'm just saying to be careful with those projections.

Technically, Kerstter is ahead of Justin Blalock if we're simply comparing year one of his body of work vs. year one of a redshirting Blalock.

andy.gif

Both played as true frosh. That's a much more "apples to apples" than Kerstetter playing while Blalock redshirted because we had the depth in '02.

I'm not disagreeing with that one bit. I think in 2-5 years, there will be a rule stating any player with a confirmed concussion will have to wait 7-14 days before any contact. I would be 100% OK with that rule.
+1

andy.gif

Both played as true frosh. That's a much more "apples to apples" than Kerstetter playing while Blalock redshirted because we had the depth in '02.
Apples to apples is applesto apples, whether the apples are green or red.

I do not see the next David Thomas in Cade Brewer, even if I think he has a chance to be a very good player.

Reactions: DrothmanII
Apples to apples is applesto apples, whether the apples are green or red.

I do not see the next David Thomas in Cade Brewer, even if I think he has a chance to be a very good player.

Just out of curiosity, what are you not seeing in Brewer? There's a very real possibility that Brewer was criminally underrated.

Scuttle talk (fact is) in Wichita Falls is that J T Barrett wanted to be a Longhorn and Texas never came calling....Mack had Swoops and remained content with pedigree names rather than make any attempt for the Rider H S standout....Mack got lazy from the moment "Bama defeated Texas in the National Championship game...the Tide ruptured his soul and the Longhorn coach let down has continued spiraling the Program in the wrong direction ...UNTIL NOW that is...Herman is the answer, I truly believe !!!

Just out of curiosity, what are you not seeing in Brewer? There's a very real possibility that Brewer was criminally underrated.
a. I'm not seeing David Thomas or a guy that ends up in that territory.
b. Was he underrated? Yes. Criminally? I dunno about that.

I don't know that we disagree on many things, but we have a slight disagreement here.

Scuttle talk (fact is) in Wichita Falls is that J T Barrett wanted to be a Longhorn and Texas never came calling....Mack had Swoops and remained content with pedigree names rather than make any attempt for the Rider H S standout....
That is true.

OK with me, but you will have to define "confirmed", "concussion" and "contact" to have a meaningful rule, plus defend why you have that specific time frame (why 7 to 14: why not 8 to 12?).

Concussions are always going to involve a LOT of judgment calls. I think a prudent, experienced doctor is the best person to make those calls.

Reactions: Walt Longmire
*FAKE NEWS*
You have my Badgers listed too low in the rankings.

a. I'm not seeing David Thomas or a guy that ends up in that territory.

Certainly you can give a specific. Is he adept at blocking? Yes. Particularly relative to his being a frosh, in which he's probably a plus blocker. Is he adept at catching the ball? Yep. Does he run well after the catch? Yep. Is he a physical runner after the catch? Yep. Is he bigger than Thomas a true frosh? Best I can tell, yep.

Wow. Your answers were so vague and in fact did not answer the questions but were just some remark that had to be figured out. Not good answers.

a. I won't quibble too much with your top three. You can absolutely justify that.

b. Nowhere in that second part did you mention that Oklahoma beat Ohio State in Columbus by two touchdowns.

Everyone knows OU beat tOSU in week two, but IMO they have regressed significantly since that win and tOSU has improved.

OK with me, but you will have to define "confirmed", "concussion" and "contact" to have a meaningful rule, plus defend why you have that specific time frame (why 7 to 14: why not 8 to 12?).

Concussions are always going to involve a LOT of judgment calls. I think a prudent, experienced doctor is the best person to make those calls.
a case can be made that experienced doctors have been getting this wrong for decades...

Everyone knows OU beat tOSU in week two, but IMO they have regressed significantly since that win and tOSU has improved.
It happened. The result still matters significantly.

I don't recall many taking this position when Texas got shafted exactly like this in 2008.

Certainly you can give a specific. Is he adept at blocking? Yes. Particularly relative to his being a frosh, in which he's probably a plus blocker. Is he adept at catching the ball? Yep. Does he run well after the catch? Yep. Is he a physical runner after the catch? Yep. Is he bigger than Thomas a true frosh? Best I can tell, yep.
David Thomas catches that ball for the first down against Oklahoma. He was special.

David Thomas catches that ball for the first down against Oklahoma. He was special.

I'm assuming you meant Okie Lite. The one where he got crunched between 2 defenders d/t to a poorly thrown ball. Stunning analysis.

giphy.gif

Weekend thoughts? 3 games of a fantastc world series and it doesn’t get a sentence in your top 10??

American Made looks awesome but I'm so torn. I watched "Going Clear" and I pretty much despise Tom Cruise. His very existence is a cancer on mankind.

Reactions: Walt Longmire
I'm assuming you meant Okie Lite. The one where he got crunched between 2 defenders d/t to a poorly thrown ball. Stunning analysis.

giphy.gif
My mental misstep doesn't change much. I view David Thomas as a special player and can't say Cade Brewer has convinced me he'll be special.

Forgive me for my slowness in jumping to the world of ridiculously quick all-time projections as fast as you have. I usually wait until a guy catches 10 passes in his career before proclaiming a guy a potential Longhorn Hall of Honor winner.

I saw both of these players up-close as high school players and remember what I thought then and not just with the ability to process some hindsight.

After re-watching the Texas-Baylor game today, I just don't see this happening if Shane is QB. Perhaps Texas should start Shane to see what he can do, but what I saw in the game is that Shane continues to hold on to the ball too long and he is not making the necessary reads if the first guy is not available. I think a healthy Sam (questionable that he is) gives Texas a higher probability of ending TCUs dominance over UT.

goodgrief_zps49matrdl.gif

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
I thought the Cowboys played sloppy ass football yesterday @Ketchum . This is practically the same team that Jimmy had in the early 90's with the OL, triplets, All Pro TE, young talented DBs, and killers at the pass rush positions. Certainly Prescott is not as good a passer as Troy, but he has way better legs. Yes, Lawrence and Irving are crushing it. We can argue about that, but what is clear is that they don't have a glint of killer instinct or dominance. What would Jimmy have done with this talent? It ALL comes down to the head coach. Garrett has to go. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT