ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Players I'd stand on a small mound of dirt for...)

Random Prince stories

In 1989, Prince put out a 12-inch single called The Scandalous Sex Suite, which featured vocal contributions from Kim Basinger, including some moaning and groaning that was rumored to be taken from recordings of a sex romp between the two stars.

“Then there was the night Madonna showed up at Prince’s Radio City Music Hall gig in New York -- front and center -- and the way I remember it, he couldn’t resist the temptation to needle her. During a breakdown in a song near the end of the show, he looked right at her and said something like, ‘I can sing and dance at the same time. I don’t lip-sync.’ Whether it was in fun or not, Madonna ran out of the gig in a huff. And although I didn’t witness this, I heard that she waited for Prince to leave and chased his limo halfway down 51st Street with her dancers in tow.” — Prince’s former publicist Michael Pagnotta

“ABC network executive producer David Saltz approached us about the Super Bowl. We talked to Prince and set up a meeting at his house. It was just Prince, Saltz and [Concerts West co-president] Paul Gongaware and I. His chef made us a very nice dinner, then Prince suddenly produced this portable DVD player, and he started critiquing all these previous halftime show performers. He was saying, ‘I wouldn’t have done that,’ stuff like that. Finally, one of us said, ‘Well, what would you do?’ He replied, ‘I will show you. Follow me.’ He walked us upstairs to the living room and the entire band was in there, all set up and ready to play. They had been there the whole time. So he played us a 15-minute halftime show, just for the three of us. At one point, David held up his lighter during ‘Purple Rain.’ ” — John Meglen, co-president of Concerts West, which worked with Prince from 2004 to 2008

“Prince once fired me from a DJ gig in a nightclub and instead blasted the Finding Nemo DVD on the screen.” — Questlove (2015 tweet)

“Once I was in a club with Prince in L.A. When 2 a.m. came, he kicked all the dudes out; it was just us and the women. Then he read from the Bible.” Talib Kweli (Twitter, 2016)

Ketch: "This is a feed the beast kind of school."

Ingram is a good back, but not really a beast...yet.
I know he had some injury problems and some good games, but
LSU 10/29 with a critical drop
WV 11/18
OU 2/9
ISU 8/9

is not 'beast' mode.

Personally, I liked RJ better last year. Ingram will get plenty of carries whenever we play next, but he has a ways to go to be seen as a 'beast'...jmho.
Neither were beasts a year ago. Bijan might be the true beast.

Reactions: BigDDD
I couldn't agree with you anymore on all of this Ketch. BJ Foster is a freaking beast when healthy. Re-watch the Sugar Bowl game vs Georgia. You can't tell me he wasn't the best player on the field that game. Being healthy is everything for BJ. He stays healthy he's a first round talent. It's all most like the game comes so naturally to him. He was born to play this game at the highest level.

Huff, he was a style icon for four decades.

Prince as goofy?

Hoo-boy...
Style icon? Please tell me you weren't the guy at the club with the jeri-curl mullet, and the Three Musketeers shirt, unbuttoned to your waist, with the extra large ruffly "sword-fighting" sleeves.....?

He was cool because he played guitar and sang....hell, Boz Skaggs got chicks....but that doesn't make him go to the top of a coolest list....

Totally agree on Pickryl. I was so pumped when we recruited him out of Jenks HS, one of the only two football factories in OK at the time. I haven't heard the "Where are they now" on Pickryl, but I think he graduated with a Medical Scholly and majored in Mechanical Engineering. Anyone know 17 years later?

I think some of you guys are expecting way too much from eagles this year.

Agree. I’ve never gotten the love or expectations for Eagles. Kid has some talent for sure, but he’s always seemed too sloppy in his mechanics to ever reach that next level... just my opinion.

Style icon? Please tell me you weren't the guy at the club with the jeri-curl mullet, and the Three Musketeers shirt, unbuttoned to your waist, with the extra large ruffly "sword-fighting" sleeves.....?

He was cool because he played guitar and sang....hell, Boz Skaggs got chicks....but that doesn't make him go to the top of a coolest list....
tenor.gif

Agree. I’ve never gotten the love or expectations for Eagles. Kid has some talent for sure, but he’s always seemed too sloppy in his mechanics to ever reach that next level... just my opinion.
I'm confused by these posts. He made numerous highlight reel plays a year ago as a sophomore, while posting historically above average numbers to go along with his position, and some of you act like his coach hasn't gone out of his way to throw a lavish amount of praise on his talent/ability.

Totally agree on Pickryl. I was so pumped when we recruited him out of Jenks HS, one of the only two football factories in OK at the time. I haven't heard the "Where are they now" on Pickryl, but I think he graduated with a Medical Scholly and majored in Mechanical Engineering. Anyone know 17 years later?
Looks like he got his Masters at Baylor and is currently the Sr. Vice President of Operations at Adeptus Health.

Darn good read Ketch.
re Hudson Card - he had me when he was rushed off the bench in the state finals after Lake Travis QB lost a knee. He kept them in that game against a vastly superior squad (was it Katy?)

Amazing game. He actually slid over from his starting WR position to fill in at QB, after playing WR the whole season at an elite level: over 1100 yards receiving and 13 receiving TDs.

Random Prince stories

In 1989, Prince put out a 12-inch single called The Scandalous Sex Suite, which featured vocal contributions from Kim Basinger, including some moaning and groaning that was rumored to be taken from recordings of a sex romp between the two stars.

“Then there was the night Madonna showed up at Prince’s Radio City Music Hall gig in New York -- front and center -- and the way I remember it, he couldn’t resist the temptation to needle her. During a breakdown in a song near the end of the show, he looked right at her and said something like, ‘I can sing and dance at the same time. I don’t lip-sync.’ Whether it was in fun or not, Madonna ran out of the gig in a huff. And although I didn’t witness this, I heard that she waited for Prince to leave and chased his limo halfway down 51st Street with her dancers in tow.” — Prince’s former publicist Michael Pagnotta

“ABC network executive producer David Saltz approached us about the Super Bowl. We talked to Prince and set up a meeting at his house. It was just Prince, Saltz and [Concerts West co-president] Paul Gongaware and I. His chef made us a very nice dinner, then Prince suddenly produced this portable DVD player, and he started critiquing all these previous halftime show performers. He was saying, ‘I wouldn’t have done that,’ stuff like that. Finally, one of us said, ‘Well, what would you do?’ He replied, ‘I will show you. Follow me.’ He walked us upstairs to the living room and the entire band was in there, all set up and ready to play. They had been there the whole time. So he played us a 15-minute halftime show, just for the three of us. At one point, David held up his lighter during ‘Purple Rain.’ ” — John Meglen, co-president of Concerts West, which worked with Prince from 2004 to 2008

“Prince once fired me from a DJ gig in a nightclub and instead blasted the Finding Nemo DVD on the screen.” — Questlove (2015 tweet)

“Once I was in a club with Prince in L.A. When 2 a.m. came, he kicked all the dudes out; it was just us and the women. Then he read from the Bible.” Talib Kweli (Twitter, 2016)

@Ketchum

I'm not trying to pile on here....your opinion is as valid as mine

But I feel like I just watched that Barstool Sports clip and you said - Like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State...

Weird and interesting stories? yup absolutely....

Coolest Dude Ever stories? Uh no I might have to bump him down my list even further now

Reactions: leej4445
I'm confused by these posts. He made numerous highlight reel plays a year ago as a sophomore, while posting historically above average numbers to go along with his position, and some of you act like his coach hasn't gone out of his way to throw a lavish amount of praise on his talent/ability.

I mean - you could be right. He’s just always seemed sloppy to me; talented, but sloppy.

We shall find out this year, what exactly he is...

Simms could throw those slants and skinny posts with the best of them back then, but his ability to spray the ball all over the field from a variety of angles isn't on Card's level.

Simms overall arm strength was also a bit overrated. He had a good arm. But when they put him on the radar gun at the combine it was middle of the pack. Middle of the pack of NFL combine participants means he had a really good college arm.

You are also correct he wasn't the best at all of his passes. His deep balls were too flat and inaccurate.

Colt and Vince threw much better deep balls.

No. 5 - One of the all-time "What Could Have Beens" ...

Don't ask me why, but I was thinking of former five-star defensive end prospect Bryan Pickryl this weekend and wondering if he might be the biggest talent loss to injury for the Longhorns over the course of the last 20 years.

Yep.

Marco Martin is another guy I wish had not been injured. He had quickness most really big guys don't have.

Michael Williams could have been Von Miller had he kept his head on straight.

Simms could throw those slants and skinny posts with the best of them back then, but his ability to spray the ball all over the field from a variety of angles isn't on Card's level.

You’re willingness to make that statement prior to Card throwing a single college pass is bold.

Michael Jackson was one of the greatest musician/entertainer talents of all time, but "cool dudes" do not do to their bodies what Michael did to his through cosmetic surgery. And then of course, there is Neverland, the questionable relationship with kids and let's not forget Bubbles the Chimp.

Cool dude needs to be more of a lifetime achievement award and Michael just couldn't keep it together throughout his life to earn that award, despite moments in the Sun like when Thriller came out in '82.

He wasn't just cool, he was insanely cool in 1983. As insanely cool as anyone has probably ever been.

I can't just ignore that this happened.

tenor.gif

Or that it led to things like this.

DybZE9oWsAA-paN.jpg

I mean... the dude walked around with Brooke Shields, Bubbles and Webster at the same time and everyone was like, "Makes sense."

51rbps9bKQL._AC_SX385_.jpg

And now we know why he carried Webster around.

Reactions: WTexasHorn
@Ketchum

I'm not trying to pile on here....your opinion is as valid as mine

But I feel like I just watched that Barstool Sports clip and you said - Like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State...

Weird and interesting stories? yup absolutely....

Coolest Dude Ever stories? Uh no I might have to bump him down my list even further now
ok.

ADVERTISEMENT