ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Pretty much all of this will make A&M heads explode...)

You were projecting that political ideologies were the determining factor on whether Osaka was an American. Kronic answered that his position was based upon her choice not his political beliefs. Add me to that list as well. Osaka chooses to be identified as Japanese and from what I have in verfifed info is she does not have American citizenship. She has Japanese citizenship. You can continue to declare her an American but you nor Ketch determine her citizenship and loyalty. She has made HER choice
What source says she does not have American citizenship?

This is AWESOME!! Orangebloods is turning to a subscription Facebook where people talk over one another on geopolitics and try to use bigger words.

Remember the Sugar Bowl Win over GA! Rember the jump to #3 in recruiting!! Remember the Bru switch!!

Me neither after reading this BS. It will be a LONG offseason at this rate.

Do men actually choose to go see that movie? Thankfully my wife would look at me like I had 3 heads if I somehow suggested we see it.

Wife and I make it a point each year to see every Best Picture nominee. Most of them are worth the price of admission. Some not.

The Oscars are a lot more fun to watch when you’ve seen all of the movies.

YNWTL noob.
giphy.gif

If one can determine their gender by identification then one can determine their nationality by identification. Her mother is Japanese and her dad Haitiian, She chooses to identify as Japanese. She is not an American citizen which she could chose to be if she wanted to be American. Like many other athletes and non athletes she chooses to live and train in America but still identify with another country. Until she wants to be identified as an American, she is not an American. Respect her choice.
She is an American citizen. That is her choice.

What source says she does not have American citizenship?

I said unverified as my sources are tennis people who are involved with tennis tournaments and tennis worldwide. Let me be clear. I have no amnoinsty against Osaka for her choice of identifying as Japanese. I respect her choice and I rooted for her in the Australian Open final. I do object to declaring her as the best American female athlete like Ketch did as she chooses to be Japanese. I think it is not right to claim her as American when she doesn't. If my sources are wrong and she has American citizenship as well as Japanese, I will still say she favors being called Japanese instead of American until she changes her choice as she enters tournaments as Japanese. She has lived in this country since she was three and is in her 20's so she could have easily become an American citizen by now. Hope she does.

Reactions: WapitiHorn
You're projecting your own biases on others with that statement. I'm a liberal-moderate who is forced to vote Democrat because the Republican party is just too far right on hot button topics (environment, gun control, weed, gay rights, abortion, universal healthcare, etc).

She's not American because she chooses not to be. She should be, and should choose to be american, but she doesn't.
She IS an American citizen.

She IS an American.

You are projecting your opinion that liberals are more open minded and socially aware, and thus willing to accept osaka with open arms.

You are projecting your opinionopini conservatives are all gun toting, snuff chewing slack jawed simpletons wearing MAGA caps and shouting 'Murca is for whites.

I'm not dug in, I just have an opinion.

Actually, I’m not projecting any of that spew. It’s you that just stated YOUR OPINION of what my opinion is.

My insinuation in my original post is that if you took a poll, I think the majority of the posters stating she isn’t “American” would be more conservative politically, while those saying she is American would be more liberal. Not saying EVERY conservative or liberal would think that way, just most. And hey, I admittedly may be dead wrong.

And for the record, I am an “endangered species”...a liberal republican, or a conservative democrat. Not really sure anymore. I’m more conservative on economic issues, and more liberal on social ones. I hate taxes, I’m a gun owner and a hunter, but I don’t believe the founding fathers had AR15s in mind when they wrote the Bill of Rights. I don’t think a wall is going to fix the immigration crisis. I believe in a woman’s right to choose, but I’d like to believe that if it was my daughter/wife/sister I’d help her with options that would bring the baby into the world. I hate handout programs, but know that there are people out there that deserve and need legit help. We spend too much money and resources fighting drug trafficking and losing lives, but I think drug legalization is more complex than just saying “weed should be legal.”
Is this philosophy what you thought I was when you jumped to what you thought I was saying? What ideology pigeon hole can you put me into conveniently? If you know one, let me know, because I sure don’t.

I’ve voted for both parties over the years, depending on the candidates and the issues at hand. But most folks don’t do that anymore.

You said earlier that you’re “forced” to vote democrat. No one is “forced” to vote for any side. But the fact that you stated that is part of the problem with our current political system...our two-party system is broken, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

We should be able to have this conversation without immediately telling the other what we think they’re opinion is or isn’t.

Back to the original topic...if Osaka is a naturalized US citizen and can hold a US passport, then she is American. That’s a fact.

Which country she should play for in international competition is completely different. To me, if she’s spent most of her life training in the US and using US resources to become the player she is now, then she should play for the US. But that’s just my OPINION, not a fact.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="UTDB, post: 11847322, member: 6042"I do object to declaring her as the best American female athlete like Ketch did as she chooses to be Japanese. \[/QUOTE]
I object to you misrepresenting what I said because I surely never said she was the best American female athlete.

Wife and I make it a point each year to see every Best Picture nominee. Most of them are worth the price of admission. Some not.

The Oscars are a lot more fun to watch when you’ve seen all of the movies.

Agree 100% on all points. The wife and I have only a couple more to go. "Cold War" may be the hardest because we can't find it anywhere.

And for the record, I am an “endangered species”...a liberal republican, or a conservative democrat. Not really sure anymore.

You sound like a lot of moderate Democrats or moderate Republicans. Moderates have a tough time these days because they frequently see both sides - all sides - of issues and tend to want to compromise so they can something done at 75-85% satisfaction rather than nothing at all. Too many seem to want everything they want without any consideration that others also have legitimate interests. At least that's my take.

Reactions: Kronic22
Love me some Jason Witten as a Cowboys Fan for his career achievements both on and off the field (NFL Man of the Year) over a very long and consistent period of time. I hope he makes it to Canton.

But boy is he dorky as a TV guy. I guess he could get better with time, but not sure ESPN or any other network can/will have that much patience, given how tough it is right now.

You were projecting that political ideologies were the determining factor on whether Osaka was an American. Kronic answered that his position was based upon her choice not his political beliefs. Add me to that list as well. Osaka chooses to be identified as Japanese and from what I have in verfifed info is she does not have American citizenship. She has Japanese citizenship. You can continue to declare her an American but you nor Ketch determine her citizenship and loyalty. She has made HER choice

Dude, Kronic jumped the shark by erroneously stating things he thought I meant which I in no way did.
I’ve said my peace. You can read it and disagree if you like.

Hook’em.

Last edited:
Definitely not apples to apples. Hazard does more for Chelsea than Mane does for Pool. Hazard gets his first possession minded/attacking coach and all of his sudden his "production" is better.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by doing more. Mane was the team MVP playing on the right two seasons ago and moves to the left with zero ease. He plays the No.10 at times, drops back into midfield frequently and always puts in a shift.

He doesn't require public callouts by the coaches. No one ever questions his attitude.

As far as Champions League play, Hazard has never come close to doing what Mane has for Liverpool.

I feel like it would serve you well to do more homework on this subject. I've found you wanting.

Lampard out produced Gerrard for more than a decade, so using goals and assist as the barometer to determining who is better is ridiculous.

Just to be clear...

Lampard average more goals per game than Gerrard by a 0.05 margin.

Gerrard averaged more assists, big chances created, tackles, tackle success, interceptions, clearances, recoveries and duals won in the air.

Please define outproduced because I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

Lampard played on better teams with better players, like Mane is now. Mane is probably the 3rd or 4th best player on Liverpool. If Hazard doesn't drop deep for Chelsea then Chelsea can't unlock the oppositions midfield. This puts him out of goal/assist range much like Gerrard because SG had to focus more on defending than Lamps did.
Mane ranks behind a top five player in the world for the last two seasons and the No.1 defender in the world. That's it. He's rated as the No.1 winger in the world, currently. Mane isn't to be punished because Chelsea lacks elite talent to pair with an elite talent in Hazard.

Hazard isn't better than either Salah or VVD.

The style of play, the manager, the supporting cast, etc. all play a key role in how much a player "produces".
that's stating an obvious.

Also, Hazard was the best or 2nd best player during the World Cup and is the only reason Chelsea aren't 10th or so. He's better and more valuable to his side than Mane.
Mane was the best starting player on the pitch in a Champions League final. He produces at levels in the Champions League that Hazard has never delivered.

I'm not sure why you are trying to marginalize the best winger in the world. You're making your argument look personal and not fact-based. Again, I find you wanting to be better at this.

Signed,
noob

Love me some Jason Witten as a Cowboys Fan for his career achievements both on and off the field (NFL Man of the Year) over a very long and consistent period of time. I hope he makes it to Canton.

But boy is he dorky as a TV guy. I guess he could get better with time, but not sure ESPN or any other network can/will have that much patience, given how tough it is right now.
I kind of love his dorkiness.

Reactions: RTR
This is AWESOME!! Orangebloods is turning to a subscription Facebook where people talk over one another on geopolitics and try to use bigger words.

Remember the Sugar Bowl Win over GA! Rember the jump to #3 in recruiting!! Remember the Bru switch!!

Me neither after reading this BS. It will be a LONG offseason at this rate.

Noted.;)

So, you reckon that I, as one of the great unwashed who served, and still stands and salutes, am a little too patriotic for such a refined palate as yours?
I just think things like what a person does in their life in terms of character matter more than the things we use to define which team is which in sporting events.

I'm simply more interested about the value of their daily deeds than I am about which team she plays for in the Olympics.

She IS an American citizen. I'm not sure why that's not enough for some.

You sound like a lot of moderate Democrats or moderate Republicans. Moderates have a tough time these days because they frequently see both sides - all sides - of issues and tend to want to compromise so they can something done at 75-85% satisfaction rather than nothing at all. Too many seem to want everything they want without any consideration that others also have legitimate interests. At least that's my take.

Amen, Brutha.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
I just think things like what a person does in their life in terms of character matter more than the things we use to define which team is which in sporting events.

I'm simply more interested about the value of their daily deeds than I am about which team she plays for in the Olympics.

She IS an American citizen. I'm not sure why that's not enough for some.
I have no idea what her nationality is, and I really do not care. But, please don't ever tell me that I'm too patriotic, or that I love my country too much, because I actually cheer for Americans (egad!) in international athletic competition. Alright?

Reactions: TheAssquatch
ADVERTISEMENT