ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Providing answers to what has happened with recruiting...)

@Ketchum Excellent anayltics. Used to do maketing analysis before the whole Jesus gig so I really appreciate your methodology on this. You draw a correlation between the volume of early offers and recruiting success in Texas. Going beyond the numbers why do you thinks this is so? And, might there be some other factors to go along with this as well?

"Before the whole Jesus gig . . . "

Is that really how you want to represent Him?

Would "Before I was called to be a Christ-follower . . . " or something like that be better?

No insult intended. Your phraseology just jumped out at me.

They’re owned by a guy fit for the looney bin, but I gotta pull for my boy. I just love watching EPL soccer in general, no matter who’s playing. I’m sure your Liverpool squad will be salty again.
Chelsea is an awesome team to root for. They always seem to finish better than projected in the pre-season. This year will be particularly fun for 3 reasons: 1) Pulisic 2) The best player in Chelsea history returning as the head coach 3) Chelsea academy players being forced to get playing time bc of the transfer ban. Ketch doesn’t remember the glory days (which weren’t that long ago) of Lampard , Drogba, Essien, Malouda, Cole, and Terry when we smashed teams like Liverpool and Tottenham on a weekly basis. Chelsea will be good again.

If Texas finishes with anything less than a top 10 class, it’s an absolute failure overall. Elite programs don’t do so poorly. There are some very good prospects signed, however, if we want to compete with Bama and Clemson, then we need to sign top classes every single year.

I would not agree with this at all. Clemson had a similar class a year or two ago, was ranked low due to overall volume and how many players signed, but the average ranking of each player was very high. It’s looking more and more to me like Herman is on going light with offers in 2020 and loading up in 2021.

Reactions: c.c.rider
Chelsea is an awesome team to root for. They always seem to finish better than projected in the pre-season. This year will be particularly fun for 3 reasons: 1) Pulisic 2) The best player in Chelsea history returning as the head coach 3) Chelsea academy players being forced to get playing time bc of the transfer ban. Ketch doesn’t remember the glory days (which weren’t that long ago) of Lampard , Drogba, Essien, Malouda, Cole, and Terry when we smashed teams like Liverpool and Tottenham on a weekly basis. Chelsea will be good again.
It's funny I was watching some video from 2004-05 last night.

Liverpool and Chelsea were in the semis of the CL and Lampard missed a sitter that cost his team a spot in the Final.

Good times.

Reactions: cordpetee
"Before the whole Jesus gig . . . "

Is that really how you want to represent Him?

Would "Before I was called to be a Christ-follower . . . " or something like that be better?

No insult intended. Your phraseology just jumped out at me.
Sorry if that offended you. I'm a devout follower of Christ and grateful for that call. St. Paul spoke of tailoring himself to his audience in order to be an effective evangelist. (1 Cor. 9.20) and that type of pious phraesology tends to turn nonbelivers off. Plus, I have a different sense of humor and this is a site where dudes hang out with dudes and talk dude talk. Again, sorry if that offended you but I assure of my commitment to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Seminole1981
good catch
It stood out at the time because it was the first time they had ever offered someone during their Freshman year.

On a related note, has Quinn Ewers been offered by Texas yet? I don't think so since he hasn't yet played varsity but I think it may happen within the first few weeks of the season.

It's funny I was watching some video from 2004-05 last night.

Liverpool and Chelsea were in the semis of the CL and Lampard missed a sitter that cost his team a spot in the Final.

Good times.
Nice clip, bro. Lampard is greater than any Liverpool player in my lifetime. Don’t downplay a legend. You literally started watching soccer as Liverpool was ascending so this doesn’t surprise me.

I would not agree with this at all. Clemson had a similar class a year or two ago, was ranked low due to overall volume and how many players signed, but the average ranking of each player was very high. It’s looking more and more to me like Herman is on going light with offers in 2020 and loading up in 2021.

i am not convinced that " going light with offers in 2020" was a deliberate move, or if it was that it was wise

i lean more to ketch's excellent theory below

"It will be interesting to see if Herman simply trusted his staff's evaluations so much that he bucked his own offer history on the fly, or if this was a direct response to the combat his staff has faced with the 2020 recruiting class. It's probably a combination of both."

"Regardless, for the first time in the history of Texas football, the Longhorns are leading the way with scholarship offers instead of dragging behind in an effort to historically make an offer feel like a ticket to Willy Wonka's. The foot is on the gas, and the aggressiveness has directly created recruiting momentum that wouldn't exist without it."

that my friends is insightful stuff

Last edited:
It stood out at the time because it was the first time they had ever offered someone during their Freshman year.

On a related note, has Quinn Ewers been offered by Texas yet? I don't think so since he hasn't yet played varsity but I think it may happen within the first few weeks of the season.
I don't believe so.

The early offer to Stone makes their pivot to Milroe even more fascinating.

Reactions: texasfight11
Nice clip, bro. Lampard is greater than any Liverpool player in my lifetime. Don’t downplay a legend. You literally started watching soccer as Liverpool was ascending so this doesn’t surprise me.
He wasn't better than Gerrard.

You literally started watching soccer as Liverpool was ascending so this doesn’t surprise me.
This is the type of fallacy that someone leans on when their argument doesn't hold up and they need something to grasp onto.

Reactions: HuffTex
If Texas finishes with anything less than a top 10 class, it’s an absolute failure overall. Elite programs don’t do so poorly. There are some very good prospects signed, however, if we want to compete with Bama and Clemson, then we need to sign top classes every single year.

Clemson has been outside the top 10 a handful of times the last few years

lol... Barcelona doesn't want any. Liverpool broke that ass in the spring.
More like Barcelona melted down and Liverpool made a historic comeback. Barcelona also signed Griezmann, De Jong, and Firpo to bolster their squad while Liverpool hasn't added anyone of consequence.

This is the type of fallacy that someone leans on when their argument doesn't hold up and they need something to grasp onto.
A.) He absolutely was better than Gerard.
B.) It’s the truth. Chelsea has been a better club than Liverpool in my lifetime and if you had watched soccer for more than 4 or 5 years you would know this. I’ve been a member of OBs since you started watching it and it was clear you only became a fan when Liverpool went out and hired Klopp and started turning it around. I can’t have an intelligent argument with you if you can’t recognize Lampard and Chelsea’s greatness as a historical premier league club. Liverpool is also great historically but they’re only recently consistently good in the past 20+ years

More like Barcelona melted down and Liverpool made a historic comeback. Barcelona also signed Griezmann, De Jong, and Firpo to bolster their squad while Liverpool hasn't added anyone of consequence.
Liverpool will simply play with Salah and Firmino this time.

A.) He absolutely was better than Gerard.
B.) It’s the truth. Chelsea has been a better club than Liverpool in my lifetime and if you had watched soccer for more than 4 or 5 years you would know this. I’ve been a member of OBs since you started watching it and it was clear you only became a fan when Liverpool went out and hired Klopp and started turning it around. I can’t have an intelligent argument with you if you can’t recognize Lampard and Chelsea’s greatness as a historical premier league club. Liverpool is also great historically but they’re only recently consistently good in the past 20+ years
a. G-e-r-r-a-r-d. Put some respect on that man's name by spelling it right. No one that ever played against both men in their peak would take Lampard over Gerrard.

b. Chelsea has been a better club than Liverpool as a whole for the last 20 years. Lampard was able to enjoy a lot of success because of that truth.

c. If we're going to keep it 100, my all-in interest with Liverpool started with the 2013-14 season.

d. I can't have an intelligent conversation with someone that can't spell Steven Gerrard's name correctly and generally doesn't know what he's talking about with regards to things like... details.

Reactions: MEP1992
While I agree with you, it seems like “rebuilding” juggernauts have a class pattern... 2 great classes, 1 mediocre fill in the gaps type class.... at that point, wins either catch up to recruits or the system doesn’t work...

Not sure if I’m right, just what I seem to recall...
I was thinking the same thing. Bama and Clemson blow that theory out of the water though over the last 5 years.

At Gerrard's peak, he was regarded as the best player in the world.

There's a reason why he was named to the World XI three times and Lampard was only named once.

There's a reason why he was named to 8 EPL Team of the Years, while Lampard was only named to three.

There's a reason why Chelsea constantly wanted to buy Gerrard.

Reactions: cordpetee
a. G-e-r-r-a-r-d. Put some respect on that man's name by spelling it right. No one that ever played against both men in their peak would take Lampard over Gerrard.

b. Chelsea has been a better club than Liverpool as a whole for the last 20 years. Lampard was able to enjoy a lot of success because of that truth.

c. If we're going to keep it 100, my all-in interest with Liverpool started with the 2013-14 season.

d. I can't have an intelligent conversation with someone that can't spell Steven Gerrard's name correctly and generally doesn't know what he's talking about with regards to things like... details.
That’s an interesting take bc you’ve provided zero details outside of a name spelling. Should I point out the spelling errors in OB articles as reasoning for my arguments - no. That’s dumb. Gerrard had a boot, but nobody, club or country would rather play with Gerrard over Lamps on the field. Just...don’t. What did Gerrard accomplish club or country? Details. Lampard won 3 premier titles, a uefa title and many others. He’s the leading goal scoring midfielder in Chelsea and premier league history and widely considered as one of the best midfielders of our time. He was THE leader of Chelsea during their run. Put some actual respect on that.

Reactions: trail403
That’s an interesting take bc you’ve provided zero details outside of a name spelling. Should I point out the spelling errors in OB articles as reasoning for my arguments - no. That’s dumb. Gerrard had a boot, but nobody, club or country would rather play with Gerrard over Lamps on the field. Just...don’t. What did Gerrard accomplish club or country? Details. Lampard won 3 premier titles, a uefa title and many others. He’s the leading goal scoring midfielder in Chelsea and premier league history and widely considered as one of the best midfielders of our time. He was THE leader of Chelsea during their run. Put some actual respect on that.
You just glossed over all of it because it's the only thing you have to lean on.

tenor.gif

It must be so frustrating to follow the sport for so long and to constantly get your ass handed to you by a newbie.

Reactions: MEP1992
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT