ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Providing answers to what has happened with recruiting...)

Totally forgoth Desean Hales was so highly ranked. Such a shame he never contributed despite staying out of trouble. Was he plagued with injuries or did he simply fail to develop?

Reactions: M_A_G_A
You're missing out.

They’re owned by a guy fit for the looney bin, but I gotta pull for my boy. I just love watching EPL soccer in general, no matter who’s playing. I’m sure your Liverpool squad will be salty again.

Well done sir, solid read this week.

Texas using their resources on recruiting trail to get ahead is outstanding, to see the numbers like that is fascinating.

There’s a fine line obviously since Mack was filling up classes early as well. However, the difference being that the guys Herman is offering/taking seem to be no brainers.

Deshaun Hales and Chris Jones were two dudes that I whiffed on, thought they were going to be sure-fire playmakers..

If Texas finishes with anything less than a top 10 class, it’s an absolute failure overall. Elite programs don’t do so poorly. There are some very good prospects signed, however, if we want to compete with Bama and Clemson, then we need to sign top classes every single year.

Reactions: longhornguy247
I'm not ready to call Liverpool and Man City the 2 best teams in the world right now, but it's nice that the conversation has expanded outside just Barcelona and Real Madrid. Should be an interesting year. We'll see how the rest of the transfer window goes, but I'd give the nod to Barcelona and Juventus at the moment.

Amazing job! Tons of insightful, interesting info. Most interesting for me was the look at 2021 recruiting strategy and environment. 2nd was the freshman DL Coburn having the highest excitement rating. 3rd was that we should essentially have both the 3rd and 4th highest rated RB since 2002 on the team for 2020 and 2021.

So is the excitement over Coburn being highest because of need?

Topic #3 was quite eye-opening for me, @Ketchum . Thanks for pointing this out. Just when I thought I had this whole recruiting thing figured out...

By the way, from things that I’ve read from time to time on this board, it seems Samples was a very important catalyst behind Texas’ ability to turn the recruiting tide in several respects. Do you agree with this or am I giving it far too much credit?

Good stuff Ketch. I think Texas football can only get better under Herman. As you stated Herman learns from his mistakes. Again thanks for the hard work you guys do to keep us informed.

Reactions: c.c.rider
SEC schools will continue to have some sway with recruits in TX as long as they can point to an advantage of sending players to the NFL. It seams the Horns have more NFL capable talent on the roster than they have in 8-10 years. Start seeing them enter the NFL and what currently is the weakest link in TX recruiting goes away. Can't f'n wait for opening day! Hook'em

If Texas finishes with anything less than a top 10 class, it’s an absolute failure overall. Elite programs don’t do so poorly. There are some very good prospects signed, however, if we want to compete with Bama and Clemson, then we need to sign top classes every single year.

While I agree with you, it seems like “rebuilding” juggernauts have a class pattern... 2 great classes, 1 mediocre fill in the gaps type class.... at that point, wins either catch up to recruits or the system doesn’t work...

Not sure if I’m right, just what I seem to recall...

I'm not ready to call Liverpool and Man City the 2 best teams in the world right now, but it's nice that the conversation has expanded outside just Barcelona and Real Madrid. Should be an interesting year. We'll see how the rest of the transfer window goes, but I'd give the nod to Barcelona and Juventus at the moment.
lol... Barcelona doesn't want any. Liverpool broke that ass in the spring.

@Ketchum Excellent anayltics. Used to do maketing analysis before the whole Jesus gig so I really appreciate your methodology on this. You draw a correlation between the volume of early offers and recruiting success in Texas. Going beyond the numbers why do you thinks this is so? And, might there be some other factors to go along with this as well?

Reactions: Seminole1981
Amazing job! Tons of insightful, interesting info. Most interesting for me was the look at 2021 recruiting strategy and environment. 2nd was the freshman DL Coburn having the highest excitement rating. 3rd was that we should essentially have both the 3rd and 4th highest rated RB since 2002 on the team for 2020 and 2021.

So is the excitement over Coburn being highest because of need?
He's going to be really good.

Topic #3 was quite eye-opening for me, @Ketchum . Thanks for pointing this out. Just when I thought I had this whole recruiting thing figured out...

By the way, from things that I’ve read from time to time on this board, it seems Samples was a very important catalyst behind Texas’ ability to turn the recruiting tide in several respects. Do you agree with this or am I giving it far too much credit?
He was a monster in Dallas for the Longhorns.

Reactions: YodelingHorn
@Ketchum Excellent anayltics. Used to do maketing analysis before the whole Jesus gig so I really appreciate your methodology on this. You draw a correlation between the volume of early offers and recruiting success in Texas. Going beyond the numbers why do you thinks this is so? And, might there be some other factors to go along with this as well?
I think there has been an emphasis on urgency in 2021 that is more intense and stressed earlier than ever before. It's not just about the offers, it's about what goes with those offers from an attention standpoint.

Reactions: liturgical orange
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT