ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Reviewing Tom Herman after 1,071 Days...)

Can’t blame the DL coach, the DB coach, the RB coach or any other assistant coaches. They do whatever the Coordinators game plan them to do.

Reactions: Kanut
You know LSU and their fans are thanking their lucky stars that Tom Herman chose Texas over LSU. They are ranked number two and playing their third Gameday matchup this year while Texas fans are justifiably scared too death of Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor.

A team loaded with 3,4 and some 5 star receuits cannot possibly have worst statisticaly measured defense in America unless there is a very serious coaching problem.
I suspect there are many DC's in America who would love to have this talent base!

Reactions: Kanut
I’m not sure if this falls in the category of “game management”, but I consistently find Texas to be one of the lowest IQ football teams that I watch every Saturday. And I’m not calling the players “dumb”.

It’s things like unnecessary penalties at inopportune times, weekly targeting penalties on supposed defensive “leaders”, pre-snap penalties putting us behind the chains and off-schedule, decisions on whether or not to field a punt (or kickoff), WRs not getting upfield to make a first down instead of trying to make a move on a DB, TE & OT not knowing who to take on an edge blitz, running a 190-lb WR out of Wildcat on 4th and 2, ball carriers not getting out of bounds in 2-minute offense.

And on and on.

I watch a lot of games each weekend, and I’m amazed at how consistently Texas is one of the lowest IQ teams I see weekly. It’s not just dumb coaching decisions / “game management”, it’s players who seem uninformed in critical aspects that contribute to winning and losing. Penalties are a dreadful indicator of team IQ at Texas.

SO MUCH THIS!

hammer meet nail

Reactions: Cattledog100
You know LSU and their fans are thanking their lucky stars that Tom Herman chose Texas over LSU. They are ranked number two and playing their third Gameday matchup this year while Texas fans are justifiably scared too death of Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor.
Never in a million years would I have believed Cookie Monster would turn out to be a vastly superior coach. Holy crap, I was dead effing wrong on that one.

It's hard to win games when your defense allows every quarterback to have a career game.
Exactly, and as far as I'm concerned, the TCU game is Orlando's Charlie Strong Kansas defeat. I mean, come on-- Texas was worse than the worst! Note that TCU immediately resumed losing the week after they feasted on Texas;s predictable and hopeless defense.

I do know that, but I’ll use one of your lines on you. He’s one guy (an entertaining action fighter no less) on a whole card of fights that you get for your...ahem $70. :D
ahem is right!

Ketch,
Did you see any of the Berlin derby? Historic stuff. Thought you would have mentioned in your footy section. The Union promotion story is incredible and the game (the Tifo, the flares reigning down, the entire stadium chanting the whole time, the goalkeeper keeping the hooligans from charging the opposing fans, etc) didn’t disappoint.
https://the18.com/soccer-news/berlin-derby-highlights-20191102-ultras-tifo

Story of the game:

Story of Union:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/50267677
Thanks for sharing. I knew only some of that.

• Does it seem like Herman excels more at running the program from day-to-day than in-game management?
  • Was anyone else amazed how SMU's defenders seemed to cover receivers tighter, close run gaps better, and swarm to the ball faster than the higher-ranked recruits Texas has

Herman split out Garrett Gray and whatever his name was from Syracuse instead of subbing a WR. 4 WR ain't gonna happen people.

This is the first commandment of Tomball.
Yep, I wanted to go back and watch, and see who he actually put out there when the TE got hurt.

Sounds like you already did that. And that’s scary. He would rather put out someone who doesn’t give us any chance, but they “fit” the position, than try to put his best players on the field. If he does that, we might be in trouble.

The thesis was proven correct from 2000 to 2010.

I recall you being excited Strong was going to recruit Florida. Other than the occasional John Burt cameo, how has that worked?

You remain excited about OOS w Herman but we are looking at a 7-5 year in Year 3.

There’s limited time w recruiting - the focus should be on TEXAS.
Sorry - this is just not doable. Yes, perhaps if we could cherry pick ‘every’ player we want from Texas every year, you have a point. But look around, there are other schools also recruiting the State of Texas. ‘Locking up’ to the extent needed is not reality. Wish we could but it’s just not possible.

Thanks for taking the time to say that. Appreciate it.
Sorry you’ve been sick(?) Virus? Energy return sometimes slow comeback. But it will come. Feel better & better. Oh, woke my wife to show her the horses video. Tears did fall.

• Does it seem like Herman excels more at running the program from day-to-day than in-game management?
  • Was anyone else amazed how SMU's defenders seemed to cover receivers tighter, close run gaps better, and swarm to the ball faster than the higher-ranked recruits Texas has
Yes

No

Sorry - this is just not doable. Yes, perhaps if we could cherry pick ‘every’ player we want from Texas every year, you have a point. But look around, there are other schools also recruiting the State of Texas. ‘Locking up’ to the extent needed is not reality. Wish we could but it’s just not possible.
On top of that, the state isn't producing elite talent at key positions consistently, such as defensive linemen, linebackers, etc..

It's insane to use only natural resource when other resources are also available.

I can guarantee you there will not be a new DC. This defensive problem is not being laid at the feet of Orlando because of the losses from last year and the injuries. A lot of the big boosters are actually more concerned about our predictable junior high offense than they are our defensive woes.

There may be some position coaches not retained because they are on 1 year deals, but we will not get a new DC, or OC for that matter because Herman is still protecting Beck.

Hook'em
That right there is scary! Because Orlando's Defense is flat out terrible. His scheme was letting OU's offensive linemen get a 10 yard running start to block our db's constantly! No wonder they are all hurt. No injuries upfront or linebackers so no excuse except coaching to help stop the run. Just take away something.

I do understand about the Offense as I see it regressing next year after it loses it's top 2 Wideouts and 2 offensive linemen also. Not a whole lot of creativity to the play calling. Surely we can find someone to help with that! Hell, LSU sure did.

I would think if TX finishes 7-5 some pressure would be applied.

Reactions: c'est la vie
great article! very good, very fair eval of the program as it stands today.

Yep, I wanted to go back and watch, and see who he actually put out there when the TE got hurt.

Sounds like you already did that. And that’s scary. He would rather put out someone who doesn’t give us any chance, but they “fit” the position, than try to put his best players on the field. If he does that, we might be in trouble.

Herman and the staff haven't demonstrated the ability to innovate or pivot on the fly. They are hell bent on one way of doing things and then cry injury when it doesn't work.

Herman split out Garrett Gray and whatever his name was from Syracuse instead of subbing a WR. 4 WR ain't gonna happen people.

This is the first commandment of Tomball.
This. I’m already preparing myself to be furious Saturday.

You put CJ, DD, Eagles, Smith, and Ingram on the field at the same time and tell KState good luck. Even if Smith has a fumbling issue, it forces the defense into a mismatch somewhere.

Instead, we will have CJ, DD, Epps, Leito, and Ingram on the field and run a flair into the flat for no gain, Ingram up the middle for 2 yards, and a quick slant to DD which everyone and their mother will know is coming on 3rd and 8, then punt. Rinse and repeat.

This. I’m already preparing myself to be furious Saturday.

You put CJ, DD, Eagles, Smith, and Ingram on the field at the same time and tell KState good luck. Even if Smith has a fumbling issue, it forces the defense into a mismatch somewhere.

Instead, we will have CJ, DD, Epps, Leito, and Ingram on the field and run a flair into the flat for no gain, Ingram up the middle for 2 yards, and a quick slant to DD which everyone and their mother will know is coming on 3rd and 8, then punt. Rinse and repeat.
The worst part about that is they claim they have a TE out there so the defense can’t sub and they can create mismatches....

....but the last 2 games, the defense was able to sub, anyway, even with a slow te out there. So that whole philosophy and reasoning goes out the window.

It’s infuriating

Still don’t understand the fascination w/out of state recruiting.

If TH can lock up Texas - and he can improve his game coaching - he can win Conf titles. Wasting time competing with Illinois for a STL kid or some prima donna LA kid is a waste of resources.
This is a lesson from the Mack years. Texas will always have a lot of HS talent, but different position areas are stronger/weaker in some years. And some in-state kids (e.g. Garret Wilson, Matthews brothers) flat out aren't going to consider UT no matter how hard you recruit them. So if there aren't championship caliber players in state at a position, and you want to build a championship-caliber team, you must go out of state for positions of need. Look no further than Bijan Robinson this year if you need an example.

ADVERTISEMENT