ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Stop being Fredo, start being Michael)

I now have proof that CDC is a double agent sent to us by TCU to completely f*ck up Texas’ Athletics Dept. And he is doing a better job than anyone in purple had dared hope!
Level 1,000.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Most Depressing Texas Losses ...

Let's just turn this into a therapy session and talk out loud about all the quiet things we keep to ourselves.

I can only really speak from the 1984 season on as something of an expert of living through all of these games in some sort of first-person experience. If I'm leaving a game out, say it out loud and join me in this therapy session. I know the 1984 Cotton Bowl has to be on a few lists.

Also, I don't mean automatically the worst losses as much as I'm talking about the ones that left you the most deflated in your soul.

10T. 2015 at TCU
10T. 2003 vs. Oklahoma
9. 1988 vs. Houston
8. 1991 vs. Miami (Cotton Bowl)
7. 1997 vs. UCLA
6. 1994 at Rice
5. 1989 vs. Baylor
4. 1984 vs. Iowa (Freedom Bowl)
3. 2001 Colorado (Big 12 Championship)
2. 2008 at Texas Tech
1. 2010 Alabama (National Championship)
I can't quarrel with your list, but the 6-0 loss to TCU in 1961 and 14-13 loss to Arkansas in 1964 are at the top of my list. Those losses cost Royal 2 more national championships. Sports Illustrated labeled the TCU loss the biggest upset in college football history. The loss to Bama in 2010 was brutal on many levels, particularly my pocket book. The price I paid to watch a high school QB play after McCoy got knocked out was ridiculous. McCoy would have won that game. The play call to have him charge into the line was so stupid, followed by the dumb shovel pass at the end of the half. The loss to Georgia that cost Texas another national title was awful. My sons still joke about the things I broke when that punt was fumbled. I had just landed in Singapore when I found out about Texas losing to Tech in 2008. A grown man choking back tears in the airport. The loss to Colorado in 2001 is #6, with Sims holding the football with an outstretched arm and the punt fiasco denying Major a shot at an amazing comeback. Finally, 2006 A&M when Brown played McCoy when he couldn't throw the ball 10 yards. Sneed would have won that game. Those are my top 7, because they all cost us titles.

If that is your criteria for ranking, probably. But for me the Alabama lost led us to where we are today. We win and Mack stays emotional involved and coaching bat Texas. Our downfall commenced after that loss. Has to be most influential loss in our football history.

I think if we win that game, Mack rides off into the sunset, and Muschamp becomes the HC (and then we would’ve been replacing him in ‘12-13).

No. 4 - About the officiating ...

I don't know what you guys expect at this point because it feels like every year there are at least a couple of Texas games that turn into absolute refereeing shit shows.

Too many times, Big 12 officials have seemingly made the games about them and nothing ever changes and now we're in a world where these crews are makeshift because of the Rona? What the hell does anyone expect?

More than anything, I'm warning you that with seven games to go, this is almost certainly not the last time I use a section on the horrible nature of Big 12 officiating.

Ketch, to your knowledge, has CDC ever brought this up with Bowlsby? It feels like this is something that TX could force the conference to fix (or am I wrong?).

Ketch you’re the man but putting a nick Wright tweet up. That guy is absolute trash. Also notice how he didn’t reference Lebron leaving the court early

The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that there's any real tangible difference between a regular ol' four-star prospect and a three-star prospect. Whatever advantage exists can be mitigated by great coaching and development with relative ease.

Onward with my crusade, I go!
So much truth here.

And it reminds us why the ability to develop players well is as important as the skill to recruit elite difference-makers, because that ability speaks to how the core of a team is formed.

Texas losing to Kansas in Charlie's last year and losing to Iowa State the year Mack went 5-7. 🤮

Wow Ketch....do you think recruits think your way as well? This is the most frustrating thing I’ve read since the loss. However, I’m afraid you’re correct with that thinking.

“That's not really among my biggest concerns with Herman. I'm more concerned that he just doesn't know what he's doing.”
Recruits have been hitting the pause button for 12 months.

Loved the column but man the 1984 Cotton Bowl on a “ few lists” as one of the top ten most disappointing feelings after a game? i Felt much Worse after that game than the Freedom Bowl game. The 84 team was circling the drain after being drubbed by Baylor and A&M to end the season
Honestly only the Colorado Big 12 Championship game rivals the disappointment of losing that game for me
But we darn sure seem to have a program that loves to say “ hold my beer“ with respect to crushing losses
I just didn't live it. Otherwise, I'm sure it's high up the list. I was seven at the time. Cut me some slack. :)

2004 TX/OU game. 12-0 loss. Only loss of the season. Our offensive game-plan was absolutely atrocious not letting Vince do his thing. We were the better team and should have won by 10 points.
where do you slot it on the list?

A keen observation.

I put my cards on the table with the new coordinators. In any year, no matter who else was in the field of candidates, Yurcich and Ash had all the countenance of home-run hires.

In six years at Oklahoma State, Yurcich put innovative offenses on the field that ran up big yards and big scores. He moved to Ohio Sate, and in his one year there, Justin Fields turns into the nation's No. 1 passer. Ash's addition to the Ohio State staff brought great improvement to the pass defense and team defense stats, and the Buckeyes won a national championship.

I thought there was enough talent on hand that these two would achieve a level of play and consistency that simply was not possible with the old staff. I thought they would induce the tide that raised all boats.

And, man, it just ain't happening. At least, not enough. We may yet see improvement over the course of the season that overcomes some amount of the missed off-season reps, but you're right - the evidence says the rest of the season is going to be a weekly 50-50 pick 'em with this team, and who knows how those fall.
Great post and the source of all that frustration points at the one common denominator in all of this.

So based on your no.3 there really no need for ranking services?
Ha, that's not quite what I'm saying. :)

What I am saying is that where everyone places its importance needs to be fine-tuned. The next time Texas signs a low four-star player ranked No.249 in the country, you should understand that Texas basically signed a three-star with a shiny sticker on it.

Of course, all of this might FEEL slightly different if you're following a program that develops above the national rates.

That ain't Texas.

Yesterday was the 5 year anniversary of the 2015 TCU game and the day the Texas Rangers made it very clear where they stood on the trajectory of the University of Texas' football program.

I'm not as old as a lot of you guys so I wasn't even born or conscious for most of your list.

I will add that 2015 Cal was a major nut kick when Nick Rose missed the XP. That was probably the biggest mind F football game I've seen.

The next year when they lost to Cal after beating ND was also pretty deflating.

Maryland 2.0? God damn I was mad at them that day too.

Taysom Hill was also the first time I really got a pit in my stomach like "holy shit man.....it's over."

Charlie Strong pissed me off but I felt bad for him because it was 100% clear the job was too big for him from pretty much Jump Street. Good dude in a job he had no chance at. Tom, however, I might actually revel in. He talked such a big damn game, and was such a cocky doosher at times.

He still has time to right the ship. Weirdly, I felt more confident after the TCU loss than I did the Tech win. Our defense was noticeably better, I felt like our OC had some good shit schemed up, but we didn't execute well and the referees were out of this world. There were like 6 bad breaks that had to happen for Texas to lose that game and they all added right up. NOW, that is on the fckin head coach. But, hopefully they can get it cleaned up well enough that the coordinators can take some of the Tom Herman out of this team. Cause they clearly have an identity, and it's not one any of us are pleased with.
I'm glad you were able to talk that out into the world. Woo-sah!

@Ketchum I understand your point on the ratings but here’s the difference - at texas, you have a much higher likelihood of choosing the players you want (vs others besides OU). There are not 10 guys on the tech roster as an example that texas would have taken. Therefore, you have an evaluation problem (in addition to development and coaching).
Texas has so many damn problems, none of us can keep up with them all.

Reactions: longhornboy
I love the Ted Lasso show. It literally is in a class by itself. It appeals to men and women, young and old. Its got international flair as well as a dozen different feel good storylines at once. The writing and jokes are just ok, but they seemed to have captured lightning in a bottle with the show's timing given how f'd up the world is right now.

On to UT football. We have fallen for two coaches in a row that were "made" by a great QB who could transcend the typical college athlete and lead their teams into battle. Both CS and now TH hoodwinked our AD into thinking they were the next Saban. If we do look for a new head coach after this season, we have to hold out for someone who does not need superman at QB to win games. We also have to find someone who gets their kids into the NFL. Doesn't have to be Urban, Look at BU and IA St the last two years. They somehow found gifted coaches. Its not easy but CDC has to start looking now and prepare for what could be a difficult decision at the end of the season.

As it relates to Sam, you have to leave and make your mark in the NFL. Pls dont hang around for a 5th year. Do yourself a favor and get out. You have given and we are forever thankful.

As it relates to the fanbase. Chill out about songs and if some player quits one day. The world is going through a ton of crap and we need to be a place where young men can get into the NFL and if not, will become grown men who contribute to the world in a positive way. College coaches have a huge responsibility...much more than the NFL. It is the toughest job in sports.

As it relates to our AD and Presidente...you guys screwed up giving so much money to one person who had not proven himself yet. You painted us into a financial corner and you have to take responsibility for this mess that may happen. Last season I blamed TH for the poor performance. This year, I blame CDC.

Hope is not a strategy. We (BMD, Pres, AD, etc.) have to have a strategy, put in the work and that starts from the top down. We are not seeing it yet from you CDC and if we continue to stink it up this season you better be ready. Instead, all we/he does point to is some 100 foot screen in the stadium or new hoops arena that will wreak of rich money for a program that has not done crap in almost 15 years.

Its time for the AD to grow a pair and if necessary after this season make the tough decisions you are paid to make.
Good post.

Reactions: MauiHorn
Agreed...the difference between what happened with Strong in the year he beat OU is that Strong hadn't just turned over almost all of his staff...Herman just replaced all his coordinator and assistant coaches save one. If Herman beats OU, yeah, it might calm the water a bit, but not much. There's nothing to look forward to at this point other than a head coaching change...Strong still had yet to use his mulligan. I remember when Mack did that, and when Charlie did that, and it didn't change a damn thing (except when Mack brought in Greg Robinson). Now that Herman has done the same, with literally no results, WGAF!?

I think most of us knew that the result of this would be bad and not make one difference, maybe some of us didn't want to acknowledge it though, including most of the mods. I never had high hopes for this season but I was and still am pulling for Sam to have a good year.

I'm done with Tom though.
Winning is a hell of a drug. The problem is we don't get to take it enough around here.

Reactions: hutchenc
full disclosure I haven’t read the comments so sorry if this is repeated.

2015 being SHUT. OUT. @ iowa State. that was soul crushing and ego dissolving.

2013 BYU is still one that reigns supreme. I wasn’t on OB but for two minutes after the former Espn forum shut down. first try at a Texas site. so naturally I never had a realistic view on things and I was on the pumping wagon. 19 returning starters. Hype videos. Knowing what Texas used to be not long ago(back then). Taysom hill took a piece of my soul that night.

he then spit it at me the next year in DKR
where would you slot them?

I disagree with you about the talent disparity but I do get your reasoning. We are more talented (Higher ranked and higher ceiling) whether it’s 5 or 50% at almost every position so compounded we hold a significant edge as a team. If we are better across the board that should mean *if* we are getting the max out of our players that should translate to more wins against lesser talented teams. We also have the significant edge in experience and talent at QB probably the most critical single position. The lack of recruiting and development of our OL hinders us more than anything imo and that falls squarely on Herman too. Just like in most sports it’s the self imposed mistakes and careless errors that even the playing field and we have seen it consistently against the likes of TCU, Iowa state, and Oklahoma state. If it’s not tackling it’s missed assignments. If not missed assignments, it’s penalties. If not penalties, it’s drops, conservatism, turnovers, and flat inconsistency. In year 4, after multiple coaching changes we know what we have and it ain’t good enough.
I know where you're coming from, but we're still talking about players that hit at rates of 8:1 vs. those that hit at 10:1 or 12:1

Devious coaching minds can mitigate that advantage, especially since a lot of that advantage isn't athletic upside, but athletic development at the stage of 17-18.

Reactions: Coach_Bass
Miami Cotton Bowl, Route 66, 2000 OU, and 2003 OU are at the top no matter what metric you use. It was bad to lose to Tech in 08 but not demoralizing and we finished strong.
People still talk about the Gideon drop and the Crabtree loss like a family member died that day.

I can't quarrel with your list, but the 6-0 loss to TCU in 1961 and 14-13 loss to Arkansas in 1964 are at the top of my list. Those losses cost Royal 2 more national championships. Sports Illustrated labeled the TCU loss the biggest upset in college football history. The loss to Bama in 2010 was brutal on many levels, particularly my pocket book. The price I paid to watch a high school QB play after McCoy got knocked out was ridiculous. McCoy would have won that game. The play call to have him charge into the line was so stupid, followed by the dumb shovel pass at the end of the half. The loss to Georgia that cost Texas another national title was awful. My sons still joke about the things I broke when that punt was fumbled. I had just landed in Singapore when I found out about Texas losing to Tech in 2008. A grown man choking back tears in the airport. The loss to Colorado in 2001 is #6, with Sims holding the football with an outstretched arm and the punt fiasco denying Major a shot at an amazing comeback. Finally, 2006 A&M when Brown played McCoy when he couldn't throw the ball 10 yards. Sneed would have won that game. Those are my top 7, because they all cost us titles.
Great post! It was if I touched your head and all the memories and pain went through my body.

So much truth here.

And it reminds us why the ability to develop players well is as important as the skill to recruit elite difference-makers, because that ability speaks to how the core of a team is formed.
It becomes even more critical when you are at a place that needs that development because of the faux edge everyone thinks it has in recruiting.

I'm wondering right now whether you're better off having 50 low four-star and all of that inflated importance or 50 high three stars that hate the world for their perceived unimportance and are dying to prove points.

Reactions: SkullSplitter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT