ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The Big 12 is soooooooo weak)

tenor.gif

In '15 OU got in ahead of 1-loss Iowa and 1-loss tOSU.
In the three-year history of the league, one Big 12 team has made the cut.

Oklahoma as the last team in back in 2015.

The trends for this league are not moving forward.

Please do. Unless there are 4 other undefeated conference champs, I pretty much like either ours or OU's chances of making the CFP w/no more than 1 loss and a conference title.
More times than not, you'll be right, I think.

The possibility exists in my mind where the league could prove costly at some point.

Carrying his team deep into the playoffs as the absolute alpha male on the team.

Was outclassed by KD a year ago in this round.

I guess you forgot that he was the alpha male that won the MVP and championship in 2014. Also KD and Westbrook played equally well last year against Kawhi to say he was outclassed by one player is not accurate. I would argue the refs helped okc as well. I have my avatar for a reason. Spurs are up 3-1 in that series if the refs make the call on my avatar. To say Kawhi was outclassed is comical frankly. Kawhi has already been the MVP in the finals going head to head against the best player in the game in his prime. He doesn't need to prove anything. He has taken his game to new levels even after that MVP. Everybody who follows basketball knows it. [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Anything from here on just makes him more great.

Reactions: BrushCountryHorn
I guess you forgot that he was the alpha male that won the MVP and championship in 2014. Also KD and Westbrook played equally well last year against Kawhi to say he was outclassed by one player is not accurate. I would argue the refs helped okc as well. I have my avatar for a reason. Spurs are up 3-1 in that series if the refs make the call on my avatar. To say Kawhi was outclassed is comical frankly. Kawhi has already been the MVP in the finals going head to head against the best player in the game in his prime. He doesn't need to prove anything. He has taken his game to new levels even after that MVP. Everybody who follows basketball knows it.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
He wasn't the lead dog on that team, even if he was the best player. That wasn't HIS team.

Reactions: gfrank50

I thought that your original post was fine, but in some of your responses to people's comments it seems like you are sitting down with a bag of popcorn and yelling fire in a theater.

"Back in 2015" as if that wasn't only 17 months ago. A one loss Texas or OU is almost always going to be in the playoffs. Other Big XII schools not so much. The committee has shown it favors the blue bloods.

[/QUOTE]
He wasn't the lead dog on that team, even if he was the best player. That wasn't HIS team.[/QUOTE]
Tim was the leader but in presence only. Kawhi was the lead dog when we needed a bucket. He was MVP for a reason. Not just on offense but defense- making life impossible for the best player in the game

I thought that your original post was fine, but in some of your responses to people's comments it seems like you are sitting down with a bag of popcorn and yelling fire in a theater.

"Back in 2015" as if that wasn't only 17 months ago. A one loss Texas or OU is almost always going to be in the playoffs. Other Big XII schools not so much. The committee has shown it favors the blue bloods.
It's just my opinion in conversation that the Big 12 is a bad date to try and attend the ball with. At some point, it's going to be a problem.

He wasn't the lead dog on that team, even if he was the best player. That wasn't HIS team.[/QUOTE]
Tim was the leader but in presence only. Kawhi was the lead dog when we needed a bucket. He was MVP for a reason. Not just on offense but defense- making life impossible for the best player in the game[/QUOTE]
That was not HIS team. Last year was really the first year when it became his team and he was played off the floor by another superstar.

Reactions: gfrank50
If the rumors are true and we do go to the BIG 10 the new rivalries we'd get would more than offset OU bit being in the same conference. We've played them before not in the same conference. I'm not one for believing we HAVE to go together.
I think more and more people are coming around to that idea.

Reactions: Dr. Leo Marvin
I am shocked and appalled that there was recognition of the the great Drew Pearson.

- The lack of respect for Big 12 football by NFL scouts is evident. That being said, Texas needs to start kicking ass in this conference at some point.

- It seems like when Rivals puts a 5-star ranking on a guy, it says a lot. If we are still seeing lots of 3-stars getting drafted, does that mean they're really good at evaluating elite talent, but struggle to see the upside in guys who they slap a 3-star label on? Innocent question.

- The Anwar Richardson Texas curse will be broken this year. If Tom Herman can't do it, there is no hope. However, if he doesn't, I will start a business where you can pay me to curse your boss, ex wife or husband, neighbor, judge, or anyone else who does you wrong.
tumblr_mcj5v32Q8I1qedb29o1_500.gif

- I am starting to like the upside of Holton Hill.

- Jameis Winston is starting to look like a fantasy option. I have Kirk Cousins as a sleeper, but not really thrilled with his receiving options.

- Casey Thompson ain't afraid of competition. I give him a lot of props for that.

* It didn’t get cute. Jerry likes a razzle dazzle whenever he can get a razzle dazzle, but the team seemed to play things out of a safe playbook, which is comforting because the Cowboys often make poor decisions when they look to create a razzle dazzle.
===========================================

I really don't think this has been the case since 2012, when there was the trade UP to pick Claiborne. If you want to say that picking Randy Gregory falls into this category or picking Smith last year does, I would disagree and call those picks calculated risks to get a guy at a spot he would never have been able to be gotten under normal circumstances.

a. I think it must suck to be a Bears fan right now.
=============================================

At the register to pick up my pizza at my favorite local Italian place Saturday night and two Bears fans are in line as well arguing. One is saying he's through, done, had it...renouncing his fandom. The other is telling him he can't do that, he has to tough it out. I thought it funny that two obvious Chicago guys (by their accents) were arguing about the Bears in Arlington, Texas.

Two different conversations.

Neither is very flattering.
The way the game is played in Texas has completely changed what types of players are created.

This state used to be the leader in lbs, offensive and defensive linemen and running backs. Now it is qbs, skill position players and DBs. Since football is won in the trenches, it seems like our OL and DL have gotten less dominant and our linebackers are meh at best since they very rarely have more than 2 on the field at any time and aren't ever playing against the old "pro style"/SEC offenses.

OF course, A&M has had several top flight DL and OL drafted the past several years and I wonder if that is about the perception that they are bigger/stronger/better than they really are because of the reputation of the SEC. I can't think of an OL that has done. They've had 9 OL/DL drafted since 2013 (3 in '17) and it is hard to think of any of them who have made much of an impact. Hell, they've had 4 OL drafted in the first round and only Jake Matthews has made much of a dent. Germain Ifedi starter as a rookie, but was also called the worst guard in the league by Pro Football Focus.

Anyway, this is all to say that football in the state of Texas probably produces enough talent at the skills positions and DE, but the big uglies and tough guys that kind of define NFL football seem to be produced less and less by this style.

While Texas high school qbs seem to put up great numbers in college, the only one I can think of who played in the Big 12 and has performed well in the pros is Tannehill, and he was in a more pro-style offense at A&M.

In other words, the spread puts up great numbers but it isn't doing the best at producing NFL talent. If Herman turns Texas into Ohio State, that will obviously change.

1. Well, I do like how you think 3 times is sufficient date.
2. I do like how "last team" and "back in '15" are somehow ancient history.
3. In the long illustrious history of the CFP, one Pac 10 team has made the cut. See what I did there.
4. This discussion has been based on OU and TX "having little to no room for error." Best I can, the 2 are batting a combined 1.000 when in contention for a CFP.

My guess is Texas, OU and KU and maybe a 4th team better get used to visits to Champagne, Madison , Lincoln, Chicago, Bloomington etc.

the BIG 10 desire to create BIG 10 WEST rivalries , the TV money and The Academic money and prestige will be where Texas leans.

Out of the entire 10 items, I choose to look at the positives. Spurs bout to outlast the Rockets (6 games) and Casey Thompson's responses are indeed comforting.

He also mentioned that McKee's visit wouldn't affect he or Rising because he's essentially a 2020 recruit b/c of his 2-year mission work requirement for the Mormon church.

Herman is all about these Cali QB recruits... I'm not mad about it.

He wasn't the lead dog on that team, even if he was the best player. That wasn't HIS team.
Tim was the leader but in presence only. Kawhi was the lead dog when we needed a bucket. He was MVP for a reason. Not just on offense but defense- making life impossible for the best player in the game[/QUOTE]
That was not HIS team. Last year was really the first year when it became his team and he was played off the floor by another superstar.[/QUOTE]
Ketch he was not played off the floor by ONE superstar. He got beat in six games by 2 super stars and with refs giving okc atleast one game. It was well ducumented.

So basically Texas needs to get out of the ratchet Big 12 conference soon as possible

Frankly this should come as no surprise - we are in a conference made up of mid majors (except ou) that has been kicking our ass for the last 8 years. We are the primary cause for the attrition of the conference and now we are paying the price.

If you were a top recruit why would you go to the big 12?

Ketch, I may be interpreting this wrong, but from the wording it sounds like rivals rated on average 33.67 5 stars per a year from 2012-2014. which would be a total of 101 five stars over the 3 year period. but when you worked out the draft numbers if looks like you only used 33 total 5 stars versus 101. example: 10 five stars were drafted in the first round. you said 30.30 percent of 5 stars(6.1) prospects were drafted in the first round. would that real percentage be 9.90 percent of 5 stars drafted in the first round? Please let me know if I am wrong.
II thought the same thing. Your stats are off, although it is hard to use three years worth of numbers because players can declare early for the draft. To get true percentages, you would have to wait until a particular class has completed all of its eligibility, including redshirts, and see what percentage of 5-stars were drafted in a particilar ropund

It's just my opinion in conversation that the Big 12 is a bad date to try and attend the ball with. At some point, it's going to be a problem.
Probably... which is why we all want out of it. And your analogy of building a mansion in a trailer park is good. But with the places where I think Herman is taking Texas, and you maybe do too based on recent commentary, Texas will again be nationally relevant and very hard to ignore, in spite of the trailer park that sits around us.

College Football loves it when schools like Florida, ND, Ohio State, and Texas are good.

Reactions: DrothmanII
as fast as Texas is growing and as many 5A and 6A high schools that are being built sifting through and evaluating talent will be of the utmost importance.

No Drew Pearson love Ketch? I see someone else questioned you, very disappointed.

Last edited:
The best news regarding Big 12 Suckage is that its a very, very good bet Herman will have his players going 110% no matter who they play, they won't play down to opposing teams level, and Herman will have the cream of the crop begging to sign in '18.

I remember going to Expo 67, the world's fair in Montreal in my distant youth and seeing their vision of the future of housing, which looked something like that. Found a picture online:

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT