ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The contract for my No.1 expires soon)

Herman doesn't belong in the same thought pattern as Harbaugh.

That wasn't my point. The point was if your going to act like other coaches arent guarantees and come with questions then it's pretty absurd to act like a guy who hasn't been around the college game in almost 2 decades and has zero connections in recruting to Texas or anywhere else has no question marks.
HIs brother is happier in the college game than in the pros. His brother sees that.

Seemingly the only people that believe it is a complete fantasy are the people that don't know him.
His brother had also been very successful in college as a head coach at Stanford before going back to the NFL and got done dirty by the 49ers and left the league with an obvious bad taste in his mouth. He also went back to college due to a special opportunity to coach his alma mater and at a place where his dad coached. He didn't just leave to specifically get back to college. It's also widely speculated he will at some point go back to the league.

I'm not saying Harbaugh is a bad option but he certainly comes with some reservations and having spent most all of his career in the pros it's kinda funny to suggests he has no risks. Make a call but people are setting their expectations up for misery if they think UT can pull one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL away from the league. It's just not likely

@Ketchum ...You think Harbaugh's O's would score enough to win in the Big12? I agree with your thinking on him if we didn't play in a flag football league, but we do and that worries me a little.
Good question but maybe we should look at the bigger picture....

The Big 12 is full of high powered offenses and soft defenses. What would Harbaugh bring on both sides of the ball? He's had several elite defenses at Baltimore, would he bring the same level of defensive excellence that would break the cycle of shootouts we currently face? Would a top defense along with a balanced offense that has a power running game, play action, downfield passing and owns time of possession be a game changer in the Big 12?

There are many winning formulas. Why do we have to stick to the typical Big 12 formula?

What the hell has happened to the Class of 2015?

Remember that group? The one that seemed to plant the foundation for all of Charlie Strong’s future success? The one that provided starters at running back, wide receiver, left tackle, guard, middle linebacker, both cornerbacks and even the punter?

What the hell has happened to this group?
This goes to prove what a brilliant football mind I possess.

Big Ed has stated for months the belief here that the Horns are stacked with talent for our next coach could be complete hooey.

You at least have to consider that yet another of Charlie's shortcomings is his ability to judge high screwl athletes.

I don't see a lot of talent in Charlie's recruits - there are exceptions for sure but overall these boys look really average.

Big Ed has stated for months the belief here that the Horns are stacked with talent for our next coach could be complete hooey.

You at least have to consider that yet another of Charlie's shortcomings is his ability to judge high screwl athletes.

I don't see a lot of talent in Charlie's recruits - there are exceptions for sure but overall these boys look really average.
a. That's a pretty popular thought for a lot of people. No need to pat yourself too firmly.;)

b. The long-term evidence suggests that his evaluation skills are outstanding. He has a million other issues, but this is a strength.

c. Development of talent, not raw talent is the biggest issue as of today.

a. That's a pretty popular thought for a lot of people. No need to pat yourself too firmly.;)
Yeah, NOW there are a few considering my point, but Big Ed was among the very first. A good example is you are just now pondering it.
b. The long-term evidence suggests that his evaluation skills are outstanding. He has a million other issues, but this is a strength.
REALLY - so, you're trying to have it both ways - the majority of the 2015 Class may less than we were led to believe but Charlie has great evaluation skills. Hmmmm.

I'll be pissed if we don't at least wave 7-10 mill in Harbaugh's face. We soooooooooo need to "get back to where we once belonged"....at the top of the heap, and that guy would get us there! Of course, any one of the next 4 {particularly Peterson} on the list would be a good bet as well. Hook 'em!

Reactions: hornrific
Interesting takes as usual, Ketch. When Mack was let go, I said this was my Top-3 list:

1.) Nick Saban
2.) Jon Gruden
3.) John Harbaugh

A lot of people questioned whether I should have included Harbaugh on the list, especially after I argued that he was indicating interest behind the scenes. But I saw the same qualities in him that you did, which is why I'm glad to see him on top of your list now.

I agree that Gruden has one of the best gigs in sports and is unlikely to leave it. But if he did indicate interest, where would you rank him (apologies if you addressed this earlier; I'm far too busy today to read through all eight pages)?

As to your other picks: Chip Kelly is a non-starter with the brass, though I agree with you that he at least should be considered seriously. Dabo, in my opinion, is too much like Mack (great recruiter, average coach, wins big when he has a stellar QB). I like Petersen a lot, but I don't think his pro-style offense would be a good fit in the B12.

My list today looks like this, though I'm open to revising it:

1.) John Harbaugh (if he's willing to adapt to the spread)
2.) Jon Gruden (same stipulation)
3.) Tom Herman (the guy I really want, though I see his potential downsides)

Reactions: hornrific
You have to love when someone throws out a total fantasy option and then it's on the school and BMDs if they can't make it happen. I have nothing against Harbaugh but Texas would likely have to pay him 8-9 million minimum and he hasn't been around the college game in almost two decades

Only on this board is Texas grabbing one of the highest paid coaches in the entire NFL who is still young enough and likely in high demand NFL wise for many more years a real option.
Let me clarify, I don't think a coach of his stature says "wow, what an honor, Texas is calling" and leaves a highly successful NFL career because "we're Texas."

You have to admit it's bold thinking and while highly unlikely to happen it's worth pursuing if there's a real chance to get an elite coach. If his agent tells us he wants to remain an NFL head coach his entire career then there's no changing that and we move on.....but if he's entertained the thought that he's already been an NFL success, won a super bowl and relishes in a new challenge at the collegiate level then he just might listen and give it real consideration. That's our only hope, that college coaching is something he wants to try.

If that's the case then you don't have to pay $8-$9 million because if he's willing to make the career change then you're not bidding against NFL franchises for his signature. You'd have to put together a base + incentives package that gets him to $7M, equivalent to what Michigan pays his brother.

The likelihood is small, but not zero, and the upside is huge. Seems worth it.

Now, if some fans or BMDs start saying Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Urban Meyer or Nick Saban....that's flat out delusional.

Yeah, NOW there are a few considering my point, but Big Ed was among the very first. A good example is you are just now pondering it.

REALLY - so, you're trying to have it both ways - the majority of the 2015 Class may less than we were led to believe but Charlie has great evaluation skills. Hmmmm.
a. Are you speaking in third person a lot these days?

b. I suggested that he was going to be to Texas what Will Muschamp was to Florida more than a year ago.... sooooo

c. The last five NFL Drafts fly in the face of what you are suggesting, as do several examples on the current team.

Screw it. Biggest story in the entire sports world for 2017 is if you could convince Peyton Manning to take the reins.
Duh...I know he has never coached but he has run camps and there can be no doubt about his football IQ.
And he has a huge personality.
Texas is in dire need of something HUGE after Mack mailed it in for his last three years and Charlie being in way over his head for three years.
Gotta have HUGE.
Peyton.

Ha. Was talking with my wife yesterday and she asked who I thought UT would hire, I told I don't know but maybe they should try Peyton Manning.

That wasn't my point. The point was if your going to act like other coaches arent guarantees and come with questions then it's pretty absurd to act like a guy who hasn't been around the college game in almost 2 decades and has zero connections in recruting to Texas or anywhere else has no question marks.

His brother had also been very successful in college as a head coach at Stanford before going back to the NFL and got done dirty by the 49ers and left the league with an obvious bad taste in his mouth. He also went back to college due to a special opportunity to coach his alma mater and at a place where his dad coached. He didn't just leave to specifically get back to college. It's also widely speculated he will at some point go back to the league.

I'm not saying Harbaugh is a bad option but he certainly comes with some reservations and having spent most all of his career in the pros it's kinda funny to suggests he has no risks. Make a call but people are setting their expectations up for misery if they think UT can pull one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL away from the league. It's just not likely
I don't disagree with your thoughts, however, there are only 2 coaches that are sure things in college football - Saban & Meyer. After that, you can throw a few names around but you can probably find something on everyone - lack of hardware, lack of experience, not coaching in P5, etc. John Harbaugh is a great coach. There is no one right answer here besides Saban or Meyer...so you ultimately have look at each guy's ledger and see which guys has the most upside with the smallest downside. Harbaugh looks pretty good to me.

Reactions: kenkam
Rough weeekend at SMU, but Herman could still do great at Texas. Herman out-couched Stoops earlier this season and OU has a good shot to win the Big 12. He would help Shane take the next step and Texas has the personal to run the power spread (especially if Foreman stays). He's a lights out recruiter. Why make this harder than it needs to be?

Oh I know, I have lunch with a Regent from Baylor who I've known for a long time. He's a current federal judge in Dallas and he's pissed at Texas. I just have to keep eating when the talk turns to football.

More than a week. They had Kansas the week before. And a bye the week before that.

@Ketchum any thoughts on Sean Payton? Wasn't he a name that was circulated 3 years ago (again a wish list guy). Just curious how you see him/his situation now and fit in Austin.

Would Harbaugh bring in some boring pro style offense that doesn't fit our roster or our conference?
We have tried pro style and we have tried the spread. In the end, what style we choose does not matter. The only thing that matters is coaching. Period.

Reactions: horns--21

Talent is your innate ability to do something. It is your natural ability which is inborn.Skill is a learnt ability. It is acquired or developed after you put in a lot of time and hard work.

You like Dustin always harp on the word Talent. The difference between talent and skill is hard work. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

Being skilful is reaching a standard of competence in any field.Being talented is having an innate ability in any field but not necessarily being competent in it.

Getting so tired of hearing about the word talent on our team.

Mike MacIntyre is guy who won't be at Colorado very long. Bill Parcell coaching tree that has turned around 2 god awful programs, San Jose State and now Colorado. He is recruiting well and coaching up players. Runs a spread type offense with young co offensive coordinators with back grounds in the Texas Tech scheme.

1990–1991 Georgia (GA)
1992 Davidson (DC)

1993–1996 UT Martin (DC)

1997–1998 Temple (DC)
1999–2000 Ole Miss (WR)
2001-2002 Ole Miss (DB)
2003–2006 Dallas Cowboys (DB)
2007 New York Jets (DB)
2008–2009 Duke (DC)
2010–2012 San Jose State
2013–present Colorado

We have tried pro style and we have tried the spread. In the end, what style we choose does not matter. The only thing that matters is coaching. Period.

This

hey @Ketchum

I love the idea of going big on harbaugh. 50 over 5 years. But you have to admit 4mm/year with an expiring contract is a little different than 7mm/year with another season left right? Pretty big oversight.

Guys are we really doing this again? Saban, Tomlin Gruden? Come on, we got our 5th choice last time around and you think we are gonna swing NFL coaches to come here when Belmont is a dumpster fire? When a new AD isnt even in place yet? Get ready for another mid tier non splash hire. Only thing we have going for us is we found a QB. Our best shot right now is a limping Herman.

Reactions: txfight
They are attractive options but you seem to be only focusing on on UT's warts while completely ignoring USC's and LSU's. USC has a more dysfunctional athletic department than we do. Which includes have a drunk coach insult BMD, firing a coach on the tarmac, and being only a few months removed from one of the worst ADs in the modern history of major college football. And LSU fired a coach three games into a season after averaging double digit wins (or something close to that). Not to mention publicly held his job in limbo at the end of last season. Also, a lot of people not connected with UT have publicly cited UT is the best job in college football or a top 5 job in college football. I don't think LSU and USC are top 5 jobs IMO.
It seems like people here see how the sausage is made at Texas and rightfully aren't thrilled with the process. But when they look at other programs they never take the time to look behind the curtain. That creates a warped view and causes people to see Texas in a disproportionately negative light.
There is a case to be made that some might favor the LSU and USC opportunities over Texas right now. I personally don't think it is a very strong case and it seems like the majority of sport journalist and personalities view UT as the better opportunity. But it is a plausible argument IMO.
That's a fair criticism. Especially the USC stuff. Those guys are a mess.

Reactions: StrosBros
Harbaugh would be fine, but only if he brought in an elite college offensive staff. Bringing in any type of pro-style offense would be a disaster in this conference, with this personnel and especially in this state when you consider the offenses that most Texas high schools run. If he wants to run the Jim Harbaugh offense, no thanks.
This is a good point. I've been a big Charlie Strong supporter, but sadly, this has gone far enough. I've been watching Texas play since 1968, and this is some of the worst team energy and play I've seen. We need an athletic director and coach that is consistent with the quality of the university and its athletic programs.

Just once I would like to get on here and read something positive that a mod said about the football team and Strong.....Writing articles this time of year about who the next coach is going to be is sickening.....I would love to know how many coaches are on this board and how many people have actually played D1 college football or above....maybe if the people on this board actually showed support for this team the outcome of games might be better, I know if I had to read this shit week in and week out I would be down in the dumps as well.....Just think what you have to look forward too....in just about 3 years you will be talking about who the next head coach should be, seems to be the trend on here, fire a coach every 3-4 years....this make for great stability in a program.....oh and Stoops should have been fired Saturday for giving up some many yards and point to a sorry Tech team......lmao

Reactions: HornHeel
Just once I would like to get on here and read something positive that a mod said about the football team and Strong.....Writing articles this time of year about who the next coach is going to be is sickening.....I would love to know how many coaches are on this board and how many people have actually played D1 college football or above....maybe if the people on this board actually showed support for this team the outcome of games might be better, I know if I had to read this shit week in and week out I would be down in the dumps as well.....Just think what you have to look forward too....in just about 3 years you will be talking about who the next head coach should be, seems to be the trend on here, fire a coach every 3-4 years....this make for great stability in a program.....oh and Stoops should have been fired Saturday for giving up some many yards and point to a sorry Tech team......lmao
I agree... they should fire Stoops.

You don't have to have played D1 football to know that this coach took too long to get a QB, then took too long to find an OC and is about 10 games overdue on fixing the defense.

I've hung in there longer than most in supporting Strong. But this team isn't going to win 6 games. I don't think Strong was set up for success and it sucks because I think he's probably a real good guy. But we're giving him $25m and these aren't the results he needs to produce. And yes I agree, this board can be unfairly negative, but no, if we pumped sunshine up his ass 24/7 he wouldn't have beaten Cal, OkSt or K State. It's time.

Reactions: texas sixty nine
Damn straight. When teams are losing because of bad tackling, penalties, poor clock management and bad play calls then it's time for us fans to take the reigns, cheer harder than ever and give the coaching staff the big ole' hug they need to feel good about themselves again.

If we form a human chain and get every fan to hold hands and sing "I Will Always Love You" during the Baylor game our coaching staff will look up and find such inspiration that they'll pull their heads out of their arses and rise to the occasion. C'mon, who's with me?

Damn straight. When teams are losing because of bad tackling, penalties, poor clock management and bad play calls then it's time for us fans to take the reigns, cheer harder than ever and give the coaching staff the big ole' hug they need to feel good about themselves again.

If we form a human chain and get every fan to hold hands and sing "I Will Always Love You" during the Baylor game our coaching staff will look up and find such inspiration that they'll pull their heads out of their arses and rise to the occasion. C'mon, who's with me?
Wasn't referring to the coaching staff to support asshole....the players.....idiot

Talent is your innate ability to do something. It is your natural ability which is inborn.Skill is a learnt ability. It is acquired or developed after you put in a lot of time and hard work.

You like Dustin always harp on the word Talent. The difference between talent and skill is hard work. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

Being skilful is reaching a standard of competence in any field.Being talented is having an innate ability in any field but not necessarily being competent in it.

Getting so tired of hearing about the word talent on our team.
WOW - that's deep man.

Are we agreeing or what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT