ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The contract for my No.1 expires soon)

good+grief.png

10996-lol-face-meme_zpseb46bc36.gif

How would you know?
Because it doesn't pass very simple logical tests.

1) Harbaugh earns over $7MM, and is signed through next season. (apparently you thought he only earned $4MM and was only signed through this season, were that true, I would agree he is a possibility, but it's not). I don't know what website you reviewed, but we (collectively) discussed Harbaugh's numbers here last week. Texas is not going to pay its next coach $7MM, so he'd have to be willing to take a paycut.

2) Harbaugh has a record of 80-54 as HC of the Ravens, with a postseason record of 10-5. That is the 6th best record among active coaches with over 20 games as HC. Under Harbaugh, the Ravens have made the playoffs in 6 out of 9 seasons.

Far more likely than taking the Texas job is that the Ravens and Harbaugh will announce a contract extension this coming offseason. If he leaves Baltimore, it will be for another NFL franchise.

Harbaugh's salary is going well over $7MM if he leaves the Ravens. That's not happening at Texas.

He fired his OC after 3 games this year.. And has lost 4 in a row.. And has no offensive mind set...

We have that guy right now.... Why fire Charlie to go hire another Charlie..

Harbaugh won't be the UT coach in 2017, guaranteed... No need to worry..

More likely we'll have Fedora, Harsin, Fuente, Herman or an outside possibility of Gary Patterson.. Or someone like that..
He's an elite coach having a bad season. He doesn't control his roster, which isn't very good.

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno
Because it doesn't pass very simple logical tests.

1) Harbaugh earns over $7MM, and is signed through next season. (apparently you thought he only earned $4MM and was only signed through this season, were that true, I would agree he is a possibility, but it's not). I don't know what website you reviewed, but we (collectively) discussed Harbaugh's numbers here last week. Texas is not going to pay its next coach $7MM, so he'd have to be willing to take a paycut.

2) Harbaugh has a record of 80-54 as HC of the Ravens, with a postseason record of 10-5. That is the 6th best record among active coaches with over 20 games as HC. Under Harbaugh, the Ravens have made the playoffs in 6 out of 9 seasons.

Far more likely than taking the Texas job is that the Ravens and Harbaugh will announce a contract extension this coming offseason. If he leaves Baltimore, it will be for another NFL franchise.
a. It does NOT look like an extension is coming.

b. I've spoken with three people that know him or have covered him and they all believe he would listen.

He's been a guy that has changed offenses and coordinators. I don't think of him as having an offensive ideology that cannot be changed.

I see, interesting. I guess I think of a grind it out Ravens O when I think of him, possibly incorrectly. I like power football, but again, we play in a flag football league. I think B1G or SEC when I think of his style of football.

I see, interesting. I guess I think of a grind it out Ravens O when I think of him, possibly incorrectly. I like power football, but again, we play in a flag football league. I think B1G or SEC when I think of his style of football.
A year ago, they went to an offense similar to Atlanta's that would have leaned on Flacco being a high volume passer, but their personnel just hasn't allowed for them to do much. Their skill players are junk.

Reactions: Elliot Carlin
Actually a bunch of people are saying and acting like he is a guarantee without any questions or trying to read into 5 minute press conferences about why he's on the brink of stardom. You just haven't been paying attention if you've missed all of this.

Name them. As in those that say he's a total lock. They don't exist. The hire is going to likely be Herman anyway.
Harbaugh - too bold for our administration/BMDs to pull off

Nothing to do with being bold. It's an absolute fantasy. The guy is a nfl head coach and one of the highest paid in all the league. If something happened in Baltimore he'd instantly have other head offers in the league. Most all of his career has been pure NFL. He's not remotely a college guy and last had exposure in college almost TWO decades ago. It's totally ridiculous. People talk about other hires being a risk but Harbaugh isn't? He has no connections in recruting and has know hands on knowledge with anything going on in college in many many years. He seems like a great coach but waiting till January for that kinda risk seems like pure fantasy

IN on this one....would be a great pickup and talk about a name. I am not yet sold on Herman and still in the anyone but Strong camp.

Herman is still an unproven commodity to me and Texas should swing for a name like Harbuagh.

But, we will screw it up again and end up with neither Harbaugh nor Herman.
Harbaugh isn't remotely proven in college whatsoever. It's been almost two decades. If people want to doubt Herman then fine but at least be consistent

@Ketchum you're killing it in this thread. This is the most I've seen you post in a long time. Thanks for the insight. Love the idea of Harbaugh with Gilbert, Mattox, and Traylor running the offense. Let him hire an assistant HC like Tim Brewster to help the transition to the college game and I think we have a recipe for success. Harbaugh atleast knows what's going on enough to overrule Gilbert and run the ball on 3rd and 2 when you know you have to go for it on 4th down anyway. Could be beautiful. Plus he has insight on how to run a big time machine NFL and Jim at Michigan. One more thing watch his PC after the loss to the Jets. That's how a PC goes when you lose.

In the end I will be happy with Herman though!

3. Chris Peterson (Washington): It’s possible he’d be impossible to pry away from the Huskies, especially in the middle of what might be a special season, but if you’re Texas, I think you have to make the call and potentially make him say no. The man is regarded as all class and he’s a proven winner.

It's Petersen, not Peterson

Petersen doesn't run a spread system. He doesn't run a Pro style system. He runs a numbers game system.

How does it differ from some of the spread passing, pro style or zone-read types of offenses that are dominating the college landscape today? They simply run plays. They don't have an offense. The lack of a system is the kind of system Petersen likes to run.

His system whether at Boise State or at the Washington Huskies has remained the same. He runs a numbers game. He believes that athletic disadvantages can be neutralized simply by outnumbering your opponent at the point of attack. He wants to create situations where there are more blockers than defenders wherever it is that he wants to put the ball and he is willing to pull the levers of "formation" and "tempo" to do it.

How to create those advantages is they key question.

Petersen believes strongly in keeping his options open once he gets to the line of scrimmage both in terms of play calls and alignment of personnel. One of the reasons that you see so many formations and so much shifting of formations pre-snap is because Petersen and his players are reacting to whatever it is they see from the defense in order to gain an advantage.

By shifting a TE in motion away from the strong side of the defense over to the weak side, he can effectively create a new rushing gap for a ball carrier to run through where there isn't an extra defender. Pretty easy stuff and, frankly, pretty easy for the defense to adjust to. But, when Petersen has three players change their position pre-snap and then puts another guy in motion, the number of moving pieces are harder for the defense to follow and allow Petersen a better chance at creating an undefended gap for a ball carrier.

He is simply looking for leverage on every play. I don't think Texas fans are going to want to see this type of offense. Heck, even the Huskies fans were wondering what the heck he was doing back in 2015. But he wins and that is the key.

Reactions: McLovin327
I watched him in person interact with 100 five and dour stars and he worked the room like a champ. I came away incredibly impressed. I think he'd be a star.
I think he would be a star as well. I just hope we don't expect the whole Michigan and Jim H turnaround at Texas if we did get John

I would love to see what kind of staff he could put together. A solid mix of pro and college coaches could turn the heads of a LOT of people.

Reactions: hornrific
Just some thoughts...on Herman..Isn't his QB at Houston who make the offense go a senior...I have also read that coaches in the know feel he would be a great coach. If the players as a whole know he is leaving wouldn't this effect their play .

He fired his OC after 3 games this year.. And has lost 4 in a row.. And has no offensive mind set...

We have that guy right now.... Why fire Charlie to go hire another Charlie..

Harbaugh won't be the UT coach in 2017, guaranteed... No need to worry..

More likely we'll have Fedora, Harsin, Fuente, Herman or an outside possibility of Gary Patterson.. Or someone like that..
Charlie has done this? You don't win an effin super bowl by accident or being a less than really, really good coach. C'mon man.
article-2273088-1754FD21000005DC-694_634x435.jpg

Reactions: DanielSucks
Harbaugh would be fine, but only if he brought in an elite college offensive staff. Bringing in any type of pro-style offense would be a disaster in this conference, with this personnel and especially in this state when you consider the offenses that most Texas high schools run. If he wants to run the Jim Harbaugh offense, no thanks.
The conference is mediocre at best. Why are some so concerned about the conference.

Are you suggesting Michigan wouldn't be successful in the B12?

Reactions: horns--21
My hunch based on what we know of our administration, the real list looks something like this:

Tom Herman
Gary Patterson
Larry Fedora
Chris Petersen
Bryan Harsin

Harbaugh - too bold for our administration/BMDs to pull off
Kelly - not squeaky clean
Swinney - buyout is too much
Morris - the University of Texas isn't firing a black head coach to hire a white head coach who is 5-14
Damn good post.

I'm in complete agreement with @Ketchum about John Harbaugh that he's a potential home run hire, he has the highest ceiling and sadly our admin/BMDs don't have the foresight to develop the less obvious Harbaugh opportunity.

a. It does NOT look like an extension is coming.

b. I've spoken with three people that know him or have covered him and they all believe he would listen.
Of those 3 persons: Not who they are, but what do they do, and how knowledgeable are they of the situation?

Damn good post.

I'm in complete agreement with @Ketchum about John Harbaugh that he's a potential home run hire, he has the highest ceiling and sadly our admin/BMDs don't have the foresight to develop the less obvious Harbaugh opportunity.
You have to love when someone throws out a total fantasy option and then it's on the school and BMDs if they can't make it happen. I have nothing against Harbaugh but Texas would likely have to pay him 8-9 million minimum and he hasn't been around the college game in almost two decades

Only on this board is Texas grabbing one of the highest paid coaches in the entire NFL who is still young enough and likely in high demand NFL wise for many more years a real option.

Name them. As in those that say he's a total lock. They don't exist. The hire is going to likely be Herman anyway.

Nothing to do with being bold. It's an absolute fantasy. The guy is a nfl head coach and one of the highest paid in all the league. If something happened in Baltimore he'd instantly have other head offers in the league. Most all of his career has been pure NFL. He's not remotely a college guy and last had exposure in college almost TWO decades ago. It's totally ridiculous. People talk about other hires being a risk but Harbaugh isn't? He has no connections in recruting and has know hands on knowledge with anything going on in college in many many years. He seems like a great coach but waiting till January for that kinda risk seems like pure fantasy
HIs brother is happier in the college game than in the pros. His brother sees that.

Seemingly the only people that believe it is a complete fantasy are the people that don't know him.

Harbaugh isn't remotely proven in college whatsoever. It's been almost two decades. If people want to doubt Herman then fine but at least be consistent
Herman doesn't belong in the same thought pattern as Harbaugh.

Reactions: horns--21
Are you able to share any of those theories?
I think the big one is that there were a group of people that nearly had Nick Saban lined up for the taking, at least in their minds, and they were c-blocked by a variety of circumstances.

Not only that, but they were completely shut out once Patterson set up a committee that never received updates and he stopped answering the phone to everyone, from the folks in Dallas to the folks in Houston to the guy in San Antonio.

I think my conspiracy theory is that there was a bit of a gamble made in keeping Perrin around because powerful men believed that this possible Strong failure loomed and without an AD who believes he's totally in charge, they can potentially finish the business that was started in Mack's last year without a lick of interference.

Of course, the Saban dream is dead and I'm not sure who the coach would be that would fulfill the previous destiny and I don't know how Fenves would fit into any of that, so my theory somewhat falls apart without those answers.

Of those 3 persons: Not who they are, but what do they do, and how knowledgeable are they of the situation?
two media members that cover the team. one is an exec at a company he does business with.

You have to love when someone throws out a total fantasy option and then it's on the school and BMDs if they can't make it happen. I have nothing against Harbaugh but Texas would likely have to pay him 8-9 million minimum and he hasn't been around the college game in almost two decades

Only on this board is Texas grabbing one of the highest paid coaches in the entire NFL who is still young enough and likely in high demand NFL wise for many more years a real option.
You have to love when someone that has potentially never interacted with a person or anyone that person knows, yet acts adamantly that he knows more than someone who has interacted with said person multiple times and does know people that know that person well.

Is it a long-shot? Yes, for several reasons.

Is it a crackhead's fantasy dream? No, not hardly.

Reactions: hornrific
ADVERTISEMENT