ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The contract for my No.1 expires soon)

How is it even possible that Jefferson, Davis and Hill, the three best players on the defense coming into the season, have fallen off a cliff? It defies all logic that this has happened to so many players all at once, but perhaps if we look hard enough, it does make some sense.

@Anwar Richardson This is a question that I would like Charlie Strong to answer for Monday press conference please.

No. 2– Who’s on deck?
While there’s a part of me that feels a little uneasy about discussing replacements for Charlie Strong when there’s still five games left in the season, there’s really not any getting away from the fact that most of the thirst on this site moving forward this season is going to center on what happens AFTER the 2016 season and not during from here on out.

With so much discussion focused on the future, I might as well go on the record. Assuming there is a change at head coach after the season, here’s a look at my personal list of favorites to replace Charlie Strong.

baltimore-ravens-super-bowl.jpg

1. John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): His contract expires after the end of this season and the Ravens do not look like a playoff team at this point. With a Super Bowl ring on his finger, he could be looking for a new challenge in his career and if the Longhorns wanted to break the bank, Texas could make him an offer Baltimore might not want to match. He’s making seven million a year in Baltimore. For those wondering if he would do well in college, I’ve told this story before, but I was around him for an hour in Baltimore a couple years ago when he spoke to 100 of the best high school players in the country and by the time he was done, he had those kids eating out of the palm of his hands. You’d never have to worry about a team being well-coached and not being great at the details ever again. Be bold and dare to be great.

2. Chip Kelly (San Francisco): The constant speculation about his return to college football won’t go away and if there’s an interest in a return, Texas should at least explore it. Yes, he’s got a little bit of dirt on him after his stint at Oregon, but he’s in a tier just below Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. That’s it.

3. Chris Peterson (Washington): It’s possible he’d be impossible to pry away from the Huskies, especially in the middle of what might be a special season, but if you’re Texas, I think you have to make the call and potentially make him say no. The man is regarded as all class and he’s a proven winner.

4. Dabo Swinnney (Clemson): I used to be a Dabo Doubter, but he’s moved himself up into the near-elite category of coaches with his recruiting and on-field performance over the last few years.

5. Tom Herman (Houston): All of the pieces seem to be there, but if you’re Texas, are you really going to hire another non-power five coach with a very short record of success as a head coach? He recruits lights out, he’s a great offensive mind/developer of quarterbacks and he checks a lot of boxes, but he does not come with a guarantee on the box.

6. Gary Patterson (TCU): He’s the coach that Charlie Strong is supposed to be.

7. Chad Morris (SMU): A future power five coach at some point down the road. He coached circles around Herman this weekend.

Great list Ketch! I thought we should of gone after Harbaugh are last go around when we hired Strong. May be tough to get him out of the NFL though as I'm sure there would be other NFL teams extremely interested in him if let go. He is not the head case his brother is.

No doubt there's a lot of butt hurt in fantasy leagues. It's comical. It's funny that people take so personal something that you can just go create another version of anytime, anywhere. It's fun to vent about it and have some good natured crowing, but man, I've never seen guys act so sensitive and take something to a whole other level that's so meaningless.

Nobody is saying Herman is a guarantee. Gursnteees don't exist unless you are hiring a total fantasy like saban or Meyer.

Herman is the most realistic choice and will be the likely hire in a short process IMO. He isn't perfect but his potential is high. It's a no brainer as lots of names being put out are fantasy. I mean John Harbaugh hasn't coached in college in a few decades and Texas would have to offer maybe up to 8-9m for a guy who is totally a NFL guy and has zero recruting connections or even much college experience outside being a position coach 20 years ago

Actually a bunch of people are saying and acting like he is a guarantee without any questions or trying to read into 5 minute press conferences about why he's on the brink of stardom. You just haven't been paying attention if you've missed all of this.

@Ketchum you've done a lot of music playlists over the years. Seems like the one genre you haven't ventured down much is EDM.

Conquer your fears and wander down the dark side. I can shoot a few artists/albums your way, if needed.

* Wide receiver John Burt, who was expected to be one of the Big 12’s top playmaking downfield threats, is buried on the bench.

That's not fair. He has been hurt. If you would have paid attention and watched him during warm ups, you would have known he wasn't going to play against Kansas State. His limping when he moved was quite noticeable.

While he did take a couple reps in the game, those reps must have been hurting reps pain wise.

Just got to my hotel room in Moore OK from Atlanta and ATL was leading when I boarded my plain, what did Dan Quin do? They call him Coach Bro on the radio in Atlanta
went for it on fourth and a long one on his side of the field in overtime.

That's because your source was right. On the other hand, mystery butthurt high level source, not so much. He was just butthurt and you got played.

He made you look bad, own up to the error in judgement and people will probably move on.
good+grief.png

I'm curious why Lane Kippin isn't on anyone's list. He certainly has had to learn much about being a head coach coaching under Sabin; he is a really a great offensive coach.
I don't think anyone wants to claim him.

Your list is a lot better than others around here. The book of Herman excuses is getting as long as Charlies.

I was hoping for some insight into the fall of the defensive core. Hill, Davis and Jefferson falling off the cliff is a huge reason why our D sucks.
I'm not sure the questions about those defensive guys is known yet. They all are playing like they haven't bought into what the coaches are selling.

John Harbaugh is pure fantasy and brings question marks. He hasn't coached in college for 20 years, doesn't know Texas, hasn't seen spread offenses like you see in the big 12. Is he a really good coach? Yes but not a good fit for Texas. Smh at any talk with him.

Don't get the Chip Kelly infatuation.

You make Saban, Meyer and Peterson say no. Then you go to Swinney, Harsin, and Herman
Some of those things are not like the others...

Reactions: Elliot Carlin
Did your source check in with analysis re: Perrin's support during the debacle in the Little Apple?
WE have dozens of sources. There's not one source that serves at the Oracle for all things we report on.

been a pretty great year for music.
1. chance
2. sturgill simpson
3. frank ocean
4. bon iver
5. ever changing Life of Pablo
6. wilco
7. todd snider

And andre 3000 is rapping again! Solo (reprise) and War Ready

@Ketchum, The last time John Harbaugh coach in college was 19 years ago. He was never a coordinator, outside of being a special-teams coordinator. I've never read anything about his recruiting prowess, but it may exist. I know you cant be relying on a speech to college kids as evidence that he will have a passion and success as a recruiter. What do you know that leads you to believe he would be an ace recruiter, which, if he isn't, will spell disaster for a college head coaching career?
I watched him in person interact with 100 five and dour stars and he worked the room like a champ. I came away incredibly impressed. I think he'd be a star.

Reactions: Hump34 and Horn1515
been a pretty great year for music.
1. chance
2. sturgill simpson
3. frank ocean
4. bon iver
5. ever changing Life of Pablo
6. wilco
7. todd snider

And andre 3000 is rapping again! Solo (reprise) and War Ready
that's what I'm talking about. bless you.

you can't get your head around it because it will never happen. They wouldn't let CS bring in Clint Hurt but are going to allow Chip Kelly with his more obvious cheating come to Texas....ummm.....no.
Well, it's not like he received a show-cause.;)

Ketch.. That is your wish list....
BUT.....
What list do you see as a serious list Texas will actually pursue hard ?

What if Harbaugh and Chip are not realistic this time around, and Dabo and Peterson make long runs in the playoffs and aren't interested until long into January if at all?

Who do you see us actually pursuing that we have a better than 50/50 chance of
landing ?

Do you see Texas going hard after Gary Patterson ?

Also did not see Harsin on your list ?
I think it's Herman, Herman and more Herman.

Reactions: BigGulpHorn15
1. John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): His contract expires after the end of this season and the Ravens do not look like a playoff team at this point. With a Super Bowl ring on his finger, he could be looking for a new challenge in his career and if the Longhorns wanted to break the bank, Texas could make him an offer Baltimore might not want to match. He’s making seven million a year in Baltimore. For those wondering if he would do well in college, I’ve told this story before, but I was around him for an hour in Baltimore a couple years ago when he spoke to 100 of the best high school players in the country and by the time he was done, he had those kids eating out of the palm of his hands. You’d never have to worry about a team being well-coached and not being great at the details ever again. Be bold and dare to be great.

2. Chip Kelly (San Francisco): The constant speculation about his return to college football won’t go away and if there’s an interest in a return, Texas should at least explore it. Yes, he’s got a little bit of dirt on him after his stint at Oregon, but he’s in a tier just below Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. That’s it.

3. Chris Peterson (Washington): It’s possible he’d be impossible to pry away from the Huskies, especially in the middle of what might be a special season, but if you’re Texas, I think you have to make the call and potentially make him say no. The man is regarded as all class and he’s a proven winner.

4. Dabo Swinnney (Clemson): I used to be a Dabo Doubter, but he’s moved himself up into the near-elite category of coaches with his recruiting and on-field performance over the last few years.

5. Tom Herman (Houston): All of the pieces seem to be there, but if you’re Texas, are you really going to hire another non-power five coach with a very short record of success as a head coach? He recruits lights out, he’s a great offensive mind/developer of quarterbacks and he checks a lot of boxes, but he does not come with a guarantee on the box.

6. Gary Patterson (TCU): He’s the coach that Charlie Strong is supposed to be.

7. Chad Morris (SMU): A future power five coach at some point down the road. He coached circles around Herman this weekend.

My hunch based on what we know of our administration, the real list looks something like this:

Tom Herman
Gary Patterson
Larry Fedora
Chris Petersen
Bryan Harsin

Harbaugh - too bold for our administration/BMDs to pull off
Kelly - not squeaky clean
Swinney - buyout is too much
Morris - the University of Texas isn't firing a black head coach to hire a white head coach who is 5-14

My concern with Harbaugh is that as far as I know he has no experience in recruiting/ That is a huge if for me. He is a very good coach, though. I am still down for Herman if it is not Urban Meyer
He'd kill it in recruiting. His an A+ personality.

Reactions: dshack
Ketch,
Do you think the reason Houston maybe be underperforming in recent weeks could be due to the fact his players know he might be leaving after the season and he is looking to far intot the future and coaching else where next year?
I think there's clearly something going on there.. That's a team going sideways at best.

You sure changed your opinion on who to go after pretty quickly. The other day I remember seeing you say something along the lines of "don't over complicate this go get your guy." In reference to Herman
The last few weeks have muddied the waters a little IMO.

Reactions: LonghornLew09
@Ketchum I think a name that is back on the rise after a couple of sub par years is Gus Malzahn. Guy is an offensive wiz and we need that in this league. Pair Malzahn with a DC like Chizik or Deyuter and Texas might have a winning combo.

Last edited:
I agree that John Harbaugh is my #1 phone call. In the college football coaching world, the only sure things are guys named Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh.

If you don't get one of those four guys, it doesn't mean that there isn't another guy out there who can't be just as great, but there is uncertainty in hiring anyone else. Herman could be the next Stoops, Chad Morris could be Art Briles without the rapey-ness... or either guy could be the next Charlie Strong. John Harbaugh looks like the only sure thing that we have any chance at hiring, so he would absolutely be my first call.

Money should be no issue for a school that has $15M more per year in TV revenue than any other school in the country from LHN.
Exactly. Let the LHN money pay for it and tell the world that's where it's coming from just to piss everyone off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT