ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The impact of losing Ochaun Mathis)

It’s going to be a shame if Dicker doesn’t end up falling on a team in any capacity after deciding to forego his last season of eligibility at Texas… if NFL was truly his goal, you would think he could have continued to show teams that he had the skills in his last year but what do I know.
sometimes guys are just ready to leave.

Did I read correctly that Anwar in the Pulpit stated Sark has won most of the recruiting battles thus far while Ketch is saying he’s missing out on most key battles?
we do not agree on that point.

To be specific, I'm talking about the defensive side of the ball.

The offense is doing just fine.

Reactions: Standaddy88
@Ketchum Just thinking out loud but I wonder at one point do a lot of fans just checkout? Between

1. Season ticket prices

2. Longhorn Foundation payments

3. Now NIL payments

4. Gameday expenses. Food, hotels etc?

It seems coaches are getting rich, Athletic department employees are getting rich, Players are now getting paid big bucks, NIL agents are making money....

What is really in it for the fan at this point?

@Ketchum Just thinking out loud but I wonder at one point do a lot of fans just checkout? Between

1. Season ticket prices

2. Longhorn Foundation payments

3. Now NIL payments

4. Gameday expenses. Food, hotels etc?

It seems coaches are getting rich, Athletic department employees are getting rich, Players are now getting paid big bucks, NIL agents are making money....

What is really in it for the fan at this point?
I mean... the product is supposed to be the answer.

That Arsenal team was nowhere near as dominant as these two teams.

03/04 Arsenal ended with 90pts, which is just 1 win (3 points) off the 93 mark you mentioned, and they didn't lose a game. Until you play an undefeated season, you can't be the best.

03/04 Arsenal ended with 90pts, which is just 3 points off the 93 mark you mentioned, and they didn't lose a game. Until you play an undefeated season, you can't be the best.
They drew 12 games.

Didn't win either cup. Didn't even make the semis of the Champions League, mainly because it couldn't suck out a draw, I suppose.

sometimes guys are just ready to leave.
Yep. I could see that… however, I could also see him having received bad advise for those overselling his current perceived NFL value. It wouldn’t have been the first time (see Eagles even though I know that was a much different situation)

Yep. I could see that… however, I could also see him having received bad advise for those overselling his current perceived NFL value. It wouldn’t have been the first time (see Eagles even though I know that was a much different situation)
No doubt. It looks like a mistake at this point.,

Reactions: Standaddy88
Consider all this to be a lesson learned from yours truly with regards to the changes in forecasting decisions in this new Portal era.
NIL is officially a game-changer. I think every FutureCast will be risky going forward.

Let's be honest, the coaching staff coveted him significantly.
Not enough to match Nebraska. Look, he is a nice player, but a) he could step on the field for 1 play and get hurt, b) his production is almost a mirror image of Breckyn Hager's. A nice player. Love to have him. But there is a limit to how much you will pay for it.

Not enough to match Nebraska. Look, he is a nice player, but a) he could step on the field for 1 play and get hurt, b) his production is almost a mirror image of Breckyn Hager's. A nice player. Love to have him. But there is a limit to how much you will pay for it.
Texas got outhustled. Spinning the player into Breckyn hager is simply laughable.

Reactions: gold67
The baseball team won't save the season. They simply don't have the intestinal fortitude to pull it off
Nor the coach. We should have expected a major crash and burn going from Gus and Garrido to Pierce. Texas has very little to no pitching and you can't win without it

Reactions: Dwminear
@Ketchum is David Pierce the coach next an who will Texas go after for the baseball coach I would go after Tim Corbin an pay 3.5mil
Now that Corbin doesn't have first round talent on the mound any more he is pretty plain vanilla. I, for one, would gauge interest from the guy at Tennessee.

No. A free market is a free market. The NCAA does not want to get its ass kicked again and it doesn't want the players asking for the money the NCAA rakes in.
The guard rails all are looking for will be the IRS. Many of these kids with help from their parents will burn through the NIL money with no regard for the tax obligation. I can just see the portal threats coming from those that need money to pay the taxes

Wonder how much negative recruiting Thompson did.
But wait, this board wants to believe that it came down to only money, right? It didn’t come down to NIL money at all. The issue is the actual reasons that he chose the school he chose doesn’t move the needle for NEBRASKA recruiting, so the narrative to put out to help the school the most will be that Nebraska boosters went yard on NIL. You guys did the same with Ewers with zero facts. That’s what gets people’s attention as opposed to “I thought it was a good fit, I like the scheme, I like the coaches, I like the players, I liked the city.”

But wait, this board wants to believe that it came down to only money, right? It didn’t come down to NIL money at all. The issue is the actual reasons that he chose the school he chose doesn’t move the needle for NEBRASKA recruiting, so the narrative to put out to help the school the most will be that Nebraska boosters went yard on NIL. You guys did the same with Ewers with zero facts. That’s what gets people’s attention as opposed to “I thought it was a good fit, I like the scheme, I like the coaches, I like the players, I liked the city.”
ok.

So it’s harder for UT, who is the flagship school of the most talent rich state in the country and has more money than any other institution, is harder to get to 10 wins than getting a Kansas program to 7? Who hasn’t won more than 4 games in how long? The entire state of Kansas barely has 10 players that even play any kind of level of D-1 football.

Sometimes your takes Ketch, just wow. That is just a ludicrous statement especially when you have seen OU run off how many 10 win seasons? They have zero talent in their state as well and as always said on this board is a poor university that can’t even afford to leave the Big 12. So it’s easier to win at OU than it is at UT? That’s just crazy talk.

Just because the last decade plus has fallen short of expectations doesn’t mean the freaking job is hard. Look at the coaches who have been hired. There is NO excuse that UT can’t get to 10 wins a year and finish in the top 10 in the country year in and year out.

I mean my God how many top 5 recruiting classes has UT had? How many top 10? How many top 50 recruiting classes has Kansas achieved? Zero in how many years? Yet somehow it’s easier to win at Kansas.

So it’s harder for UT, who is the flagship school of the most talent rich state in the country and has more money than any other institution, is harder to get to 10 wins than getting a Kansas program to 7? Who hasn’t won more than 4 games in how long? The entire state of Kansas barely has 10 players that even play any kind of level of D-1 football.

Sometimes your takes Ketch, just wow. That is just a ludicrous statement especially when you have seen OU run off how many 10 win seasons? They have zero talent in their state as well and as always said on this board is a poor university that can’t even afford to leave the Big 12. So it’s easier to win at OU than it is at UT? That’s just crazy talk.

Just because the last decade plus has fallen short of expectations doesn’t mean the freaking job is hard. Look at the coaches who have been hired. There is NO excuse that UT can’t get to 10 wins a year and finish in the top 10 in the country year in and year out.

I mean my God how many top 5 recruiting classes has UT had? How many top 10? How many top 50 recruiting classes has Kansas achieved? Zero in how many years? Yet somehow it’s easier to win at Kansas.
Getting to 7 wins for any college program in the country is easier than getting to 10.

You can schedule your way into four wins pretty easily.

The fact that Texas has 10 wins just once in the last 12 years should be a sign and a clue for how hard it is.

Reactions: Hunter67
Texas got outhustled. Spinning the player into Breckyn hager is simply laughable.
Look at the game logs. Very similar. Mathis was wanted. If you call letting Nebraska pay top dollar for a slightly above average player out hustling us, we'll see how that ends up. You've tried to sell us that Mathis had a double digit sack seasons (he hasn't) and that he was a 2 time All Big 12 player (never 1st team). You are going all in on a player who is nice, but has only produced 10 out of 37 games. He has averaged 42.5 total tackles and 5.16 sacks per full season. He would have been nice, but he isn't a narrative changer. He isn't "lockdown game-changing" constant pressure in the passing game kind of player, and he is fairly pedestrian in the run game. He just isn't strong enough. Tell me the last time you've seen a 4th year college DLineman BOUNCING 135 off their chest like in his video.

Reactions: 1956_1976
Look at the game logs. Very similar. Mathis wanted wanted. If you call letting Nebraska pay top dollar for a slightly above average player out hustling us, we'll see how that ends up. You've tried to sell us that Mathis had a double digit sack seasons (he hasn't) and that he was a 2 time All Big 12 player (never 1st team). You are going all in on a player who is nice, but has only produced 10 our of 37 games. He has average 42.5 total tackles and 5.16 sacks per full season. He would have been nice, but he isn't a narrative changer. He isn't "lockdown game-changing" constant pressure in the passing game, and he is fairly pedestrian in the run game. He just isn't strong enough. Tell me the last time you've seen a 4th year college DLineman BOUNCING 135 off their chest like in his video.

Did Texas pretty much spend the entire off-season up until now working its ass off to bring him in to solve an issue, or not?

Yes or no.

Reactions: Stars over Texas
Did Texas pretty much spend the entire off-season up until now working its ass off to bring him in to solve an issue, or not?

Yes or no.
Not enough to pay him what Nebraska did. If we truly wanted him, we'd have paid for him. Yes or No?

Reactions: 1956_1976
Did Mathis want to play at Texas? No.
@Ketchum Do you want to work for the Baylor fan site if I pay you enough? Or is there more to you than chasing the highest bidder? It’s not always about the money. You keep missing that and missed it on Ewers as well.

Do you want to work for the Baylor fan site if I pay you enough? Or is there more to you than chasing the highest bidder? It’s not always about the money. You keep missing that and missed it on Ewers as well.
ok, champ.

Let me ask you... what changed Neyor's mind about his Tennessee commitment?

You didn't answer the question.
I asked the only pertinent question. Yes, we pursued him, UNTIL WE DIDN’T. Why is that? Because we made a conscious decision not to pay what Nebraska was offering in NIL. In all honesty, probably nowhere close to what Nebraska was willing to pay. Yes, or no?

Reactions: Codename: Rondo
I asked the only pertinent question. Yes, we pursued him, UNTIL WE DIDN’T. Why is that? Because we made a conscious decision not to pay what Nebraska was offering in NIL. In all honesty, probably nowhere close to what Nebraska was willing to pay. Yes, or no?
It's a little more nuanced than that.

There are/were implications for paying that much money that I don't think Texas was prepared for.

It's one of the complications all schools will have to juggle moving forward.

That wasn't the question, but yes, him selecting another school is evidence he didn't want to play at Texas.
If someone has a number from an NIL program that is not affiliated with Texas and that number is exceeded by an NIL fund at Texas (exceeded handsomely btw) with a complete understanding on both sides that if there is ever a situation where another number came out from the initial side that it is unlikely to cause heartburn, yet you never have a counter or a call to exceed/match/etc—- what does that tell you? You are thinking that the number offered by Nebraska NIL was so large that it blew anything we were offering out of the window despite the complete understanding by the player? Ha. Good news is that I have a lot of ties to Nebraska. I had multiple grandparents that attended and a great grandmother that was the longest season ticket holder in Nebraska history at one point before dying at 102. I know their numbers. Stop believing bullshit that they want you to believe to help themselves as an attractive destination for NIL offers.

Kill the NIL Texas vs Nebraska battle thought forever. Don’t believe it from the school, the family, etc. I don’t think the kid would say it either if he wants to be a honest person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT