ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The impact of losing Ochaun Mathis)

Interesting that none of that was ever previously brought up.
I would think being a few hours away from his brother would be more beneficial to the relationship. as opposed to moving away to another state. Oh well. It's over.

These players are about to find out about taxes. Might be a good lesson for them before going pro. Also, why would congress step in and stop NIL with taxes flowing?

Reactions: horns--21
I know, I know, I know.

I almost texted you to cut off this post. 😂 😂 😂

a194a418-fd83-47d0-bead-f5f3cf11fb05_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ketchum
Per the football team, yes we are going to need more on defense this year if we really want to compete. This team, as its stands right now, is just not good enough defensively to be considered a 9-win or better team. Maybe not even 8 if we can't score 40 points every game. The coaching staff needs to turn over every rock to find some sort of a solution because the mediocrity of our Big Three athletic programs has become mind-numbing.

And no, Ketch, this baseball season can't be saved...not when we have absolutely no one we can count on consistently from the bullpen. Let's quit kidding ourselves...if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and acts like a duck, it's a friggin' duck!
cartoon-killed.gif

Reactions: texcoast
Yes, competitive is a perfectly fine way of describing it.
  1. Are you saying UT's NIL program can win provide NIL contracts for all HS players on both sides of the ball for skill positions and in the trenches for 3, low 4, mid 4, high 4 and 5 stars that another program's NIL contracts would not beat UT's or are you saying something else?
  2. Are you saying UT's NIL program can win provide NIL contracts for all transfer players on both sides of the ball for skill positions and in the trenches that cannot find playing time in their current program that another program's NIL contracts would not beat UT's or are you saying something else?
  3. Are you saying UT's NIL program can win provide NIL contracts for all transfer players on both sides of the ball for skill positions and in the trenches who have distinguished themselves and are looking to showcase their talent for the NFL and looking to maximize their NIL value that another program's NIL contracts would not beat UT's or are you saying something else?

1. Are you saying UT's NIL program can win provide NIL contracts for all HS players on both sides of the ball for skill positions and in the trenches for 3, low 4, mid 4, high 4 and 5 stars that another program's NIL contracts would not beat UT's or are you saying something else?
  2. Are you saying UT's NIL program can win provide NIL contracts for all transfer players on both sides of the ball for skill positions and in the trenches that cannot find playing time in their current program that another program's NIL contracts would not beat UT's or are you saying something else?
  3. Are you saying UT's NIL program can win provide NIL contracts for all transfer players on both sides of the ball for skill positions and in the trenches who have distinguished themselves and are looking to showcase their talent for the NFL and looking to maximize their NIL value that another program's NIL contracts would not beat UT's or are you saying something else?
None of that specifically.

I'm saying that in the current ever-evolving NIL world, Texas is competitive.

It has helped provide money for guys that have signed out of high school, but not all deals are the same and not every player has received the same hook up.

Same with transfers.

On one hand, there's a Pancake Factory. On the other hand, there's not yet a Pick-Six factory.

It's evolving and has areas it needs to address, but it's not behind the rest of the country in these efforts

It was definitely the NIL money that lured Mathis away. I am no insider, but in this case I did have a pretty good "in" on the Mathis situation. And that source has always said he's a Texas lock. I haven't talked to that source in the past 4 or 5 weeks, so clearly Nebraska dipped into its piggy bank to make a very persuasive argument.

Exactly. But it also shows that no matter bad the DL is, the OL is probably worse.

Sark's 'contact courage, hang in the pocket' theme is going to decimate the QB room.
Or make football players out of them. Name one NFL QB who doesn’t have to stand in and take hits. It’s what separates good from great qbs. There is a happy medium but they have to be able to stand in, or improvise and throw accurately. It’s a essential skill.

This is fvcking unforgiveable if true.
In our live show today, his mom jumped in and made about 5 different claims about Nebraska being superior in its approach/recruitment.

That would weirdly bother me more than them outspending Texas for a player.

Now let's take a look at the four star prospects from the 2017-2019 recruiting classes. During those three recruiting cycles, the Longhorns signed 32 mid- and low-four-star players. The national averages on players inside of those tiers suggests that the Longhorns should have come away with 5-8 NFL players, just to hit the national averages. So far, that group of players has produced two NFL Draft picks - Sam Ehlinger and Joseph Ossai.
Which record is only eclipsed by one 5th rounder (Sterns) out of 10 five star and high four star players, although I suppose Whittington is still in the running to be drafted. What is the hit/miss rate on those?

I asked the only pertinent question. Yes, we pursued him, UNTIL WE DIDN’T. Why is that? Because we made a conscious decision not to pay what Nebraska was offering in NIL. In all honesty, probably nowhere close to what Nebraska was willing to pay. Yes, or no?
This is false

• Haha
Reactions: HuffTex
Having access didn't make us look like fools. Just being wrong did.
You said in your ten thoughts that you felt used (i.e., she played y’all for fools). I much prefer just getting reports from ”sources” than watching parents screw with y’all. Will you not be hesitant if parents join podcasts in the future or is the access just too juicy for you to ignore?

I’m not criticizing what you did…it did make for good viewing. I just think how it played out that on reflection it may be better to avoid parents on modcasts.

In our live show today, his mom jumped in and made about 5 different claims about Nebraska being superior in its approach/recruitment.

That would weirdly bother me more than them outspending Texas for a player.
FWIW< Bobby said the same thing per his sources a pod cast SAturday
.That we got out recruited . He also added that the IDEA that NIL deal that N Offred was something Texas couldn't// wouldn't do was something he "knew 1st hand " was not true.
Also referenced the fact we've already stepped up NIL deals with 3 key starters to keep them happy
His words were they out recruited Texas( PK and to a degree GP) per his sources and a lot was due to the narrative they told/sold vs the one we told.

Nebraska promised he'd be able to do exactly what he wanted ( confirmed with TCU sources)--hand in the dirt, pin his eras back and rush the passer where as PK wanting him standing up more in this scheme and playing in space more than he wanted. About a week ago when rumbles started PK tried to alter his stanceand give in some but it was too little too late.

a BB quote from that thread FWIW:

I think they were literally out-recruited and that “they” includes Gary P.

take it with a grade of slaw:)

You said in your ten thoughts that you felt used (i.e., she played y’all for fools). I much prefer just getting reports from ”sources” than watching parents screw with y’all. Will you not be hesitant if parents join podcasts in the future or is the access just too juicy for you to ignore?

I’m not criticizing what you did…it did make for good viewing. I just think how it played out that on reflection it may be better to avoid parents on modcasts.
I'm not sure how we can control that. She always showed up on her own accord. We were trying to have a conversation about other stuff today and she was literally hijacking the chat with discussion about Ochaun.

It wasn't completely ideal.

Reactions: Universal Horn
Texas still has a roster full of players that were highly ranked coming out of high school across most classification levels and most position groups.

College football is a high roster turnover world with maybe a 3 year average time span for a player. And most teams count every year on a lot of guys performing at a level that they have not yet demonstrated (maybe because they haven't had the chance) at the collegiate level.

Think about all of the guys that performed at Baylor last year at levels well above anything they had ever done at the collegiate level.

Think about Caleb Williams coming in off the bench in Texas/OU game as a Freshman and delivering against us. Think about Xavier Worthy delivering in the same game against OU.

Do we have Bama or Georgia talent lined up waiting their chance to deliver? No, but we've got guys with as much potential as probably anybody else in the Big 12.

My Point:

We're so beaten down over our recent history of guys not getting better year-over-year that we assume that what we saw from most everybody last year is as good as we'll get out of them this year. But that is not the general reality of college football and a bunch of teams will have "good" winning '22 seasons because of a bunch of guys on their term perform at a level above anything they have delivered on the field before ... so my question: "Why can't that be Texas this year?"

FWIW< Bobby said the same thing per his sources a pod cast SAturday
.That we got out recruited . He also added that the IDEA that NIL deal that N Offred was something Texas couldn't// wouldn't do was something he "knew 1st hand " was not true.
Also referenced the fact we've already stepped up NIL deals with 3 key starters to keep them happy
His words were they out recruited Texas( PK and to a degree GP) per his sources and a lot was due to the narrative they told/sold vs the one we told.

Nebraska promised he'd be able to do exactly what he wanted ( confirmed with TCU sources)--hand in the dirt, pin his eras back and rush the passer where as PK wanting him standing up more in this scheme and playing in space more than he wanted. About a week ago when rumbles started PK tried to alter his stanceand give in some but it was too little too late.

a BB quote from that thread FWIW:

I think they were literally out-recruited and that “they” includes Gary P.

take it with a grade of slaw:)
As I wrote in the column, the defensive staff isn't holding up its end of the bargain.

Texas still has a roster full of players that were highly ranked coming out of high school across most classification levels and most position groups.

College football is a high roster turnover world with maybe a 3 year average time span for a player. And most teams count every year on a lot of guys performing at a level that they have not yet demonstrated (maybe because they haven't had the chance) at the collegiate level.

Think about all of the guys that performed at Baylor last year at levels well above anything they had ever done at the collegiate level.

Think about Caleb Williams coming in off the bench in Texas/OU game as a Freshman and delivering against us. Think about Xavier Worthy delivering in the same game against OU.

Do we have Bama or Georgia talent lined up waiting their chance to deliver? No, but we've got guys with as much potential as probably anybody else in the Big 12.

My Point:

We're so beaten down over our recent history of guys not getting better year-over-year that we assume that what we saw from most everybody last year is as good as we'll get out of them this year. But that is not the general reality of college football and a bunch of teams will have "good" winning '22 seasons because of a bunch of guys on their term perform at a level above anything they have delivered on the field before ... so my question: "Why can't that be Texas this year?"
I think my main answer is that this program hasn't yet proven it has the development chops to make that happen,

Cruises’ top ten list without The Last Samurai just can’t be accurate Ketch!

just go done introducing my son to top gun last night.

They just got here in January of last year. They mostly individually have lot's of past track records of developing players and teams at various levels. Did they all forget how to when they got to Austin?

Reactions: SATXEX
They just got here in January of last year. They mostly individually have lot's of past track records of developing players and teams at various levels. Did they all forget how to when they got to Austin?
It's really hard to not feel like we're projecting Herman's failures, Strong's failures and Mack's failures late in his tenure on a new staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT