ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The QB decisions Herman has to make... )

Texas needs that win that nobody expects them to win - a win that you look back on and say, "that game is where it changed."

Is that likely to occur this Saturday? Highly unlikely. But, you'd like to see them land a few blows that has everyone feeling confident going forward. You mentioned the great second half versus UCLA in 1998 down 31-3 at the half and coming out and playing much better after halftime.

That payed off later that season when they went to Lincoln later that year and stunned the college football world by beating Nebraska 20-16 ending their 47 game home winning streak.

That win and the later A&M win were turning points for how people and more importantly, recruits, looked at Mack and Texas.

They're not quite on the cusp yet, but at least you could see this past Saturday what the team could like look in the future, when they're capable and able to do that versus good/great teams.
great post. spot on.

Reactions: trophies2
I think the issue is who gives us a better chance to win the next game? Start whichever guy that is (with a little wildcat from Heard.)
In a narrow prism, yes.

Part of what's taking place is a conversation bigger than Saturday.

The point you seem to be missing is that neither quarterback is really ready.

That changes the dynamics of the conversation when that is the case.
The point you seem to be missing is that there are degrees of readiness. It's not like you're ready or not. Shane is more ready than Sam. That is a nuance you and others miss.

let's not get too carried away. The Giants were awful.
I'm not saying they are some great defense, but you and many others predicted the Cowboys would go 9-7 because their defense would be worse than in 2016. I still think they will be what costs the team a Super Bowl this season, but they aren't worse than last year.

In a narrow prism, yes.

Part of what's taking place is a conversation bigger than Saturday.
I have a narrow mind so the narrow prism probably makes sense. I don't really understand prisms that well. Come to think of it, while you're saying seems to make sense on the surface, when I break it down, I don't see how a prism is applicable at all. Are we shooting this situation through a triangle? WTH does that MEAN? Can we use prisms for linebackers? We should probably have prism-talk about kickers too. My head hurts.

In all seriousness, I don't know what we're going to get week to week as these two guys progress and deal with injuries and whatnot. I don't know how productive it is to prognosticate past week 3. So I stand by making decisions that give us the best chance of beating USC. And then we will have more info to do the same thing for Iowa St. And so on...

The point you seem to be missing is that there are degrees of readiness. It's not like you're ready or not. Shane is more ready than Sam. That is a nuance you and others miss.
except I wrote that in the column...

Nuance..

I'm not saying they are some great defense, but you and many others predicted the Cowboys would go 9-7 because their defense would be worse than in 2016. I still think they will be what costs the team a Super Bowl this season, but they aren't worse than last year.
Let's wait and see a little more before we make real determinations.

Shane is more ready to start in a night game at the Colosseum vs. a top 5 team. That doesn't necessarily mean Shane presents the most difficult assignment for the USC defense.

Reactions: Frank Pentangeli
He doesn't see the game as wellas he needs to and he's been hesitant at working key areas of the field, especially the middle and deep middle.
Ketch our QB is not on campus yet,2019 I hope RJ sticks to his commitment.

busted, I guess.
For contradicting yourself? Yes. I responded to your post that you think neither is ready, and apparently I didn't understand that. That shows a lack of understanding of degrees of readiness. Your words, not mine.

You haven't exactly been correct on any of this QB stuff no matter how often you try to say you have.

I think that's kind of silly.

Buechele is a quarterback with a 5-8 career record that has posted a sub 137-rating in 8 of his last 11 games.

He's far more unproven than most want to admit.

And yet Herman says he's the most accurate passer he's been around. As for his record, did you watch our defense and coaching blunders last year.

For contradicting yourself? Yes. I responded to your post that you think neither is ready, and apparently I didn't understand that. That shows a lack of understanding of degrees of readiness. Your words, not mine.

You haven't exactly been correct on any of this QB stuff no matter how often you try to say you have.
You said this: "Shane is more ready than Sam. That is a nuance you and others miss."

I wrote in the column that Shane is more ready than Sam.

You've just babbled since then.

And yet Herman says he's the most accurate passer he's been around. As for his record, did you watch our defense and coaching blunders last year.
a. I think he is very accurate with the throws he feels good about making. I can see Herman thinking that.

b. You're making excuses for poor play by blaming the defense and the coaching, while ignoring he also played with the best running back in the country, which should have lifted a lot of pressure.

You said this: "Shane is more ready than Sam. That is a nuance you and others miss."

I wrote in the column that Shane is more ready than Sam.

You've just babbled since then.

The point you seem to be missing is that neither quarterback is really ready.

That changes the dynamics of the conversation when that is the case.
Someone is babbling. Here is the quote I replied to.

Your quote makes ZERO sense. I pointed that out, and you then try to say that's what you already wrote. Then why did you write the quote?

You have been clueless on this topic for a long time. Babble on.

Last edited:
If Buechele had the pass protection and rushing attack gainst Marylland that Ehlinger enjoyed Saturday, we'd be 2-0 and sportswriters wouldn't have to contrive a QB controversy.

Ehlinger didn't turn the ball over, and was certainly adquate against a weak opponent. But, keep in mind that Lorenzo Joe's spectacular salvage of another off-target throw increased Ehlingers passing yardage 25%, and prevented his completion rate from being below .500. We've got to have more accuracy to be competitive against top defenses.

Right now, Ehlinger's best asset is his sturdiness. He has a LB's body and fans don't cringe when they see him scrambling. But, given proper pass protection and a good running game, Buechele is the best option, hands-down.

I have nothing against Sam, and I think he will be great when he develops. But, stating a plus for Sam is that he didn't turn the ball over is ludicrous. He threw three passes that would have been interceptions against Maryland or USC this week. He was just fortunate that his opponent was SJSU, and their DB's couldn't catch a cold. If he keeps bouncing the football off of DB's chests, he will pay for it this Saturday night.

Reactions: MadDogKC
I was looking so forward to this football season. After two games I dread what I fear is going to happen next week and the following weeks. This team is just not very good. Defensive backfield is scary bad. Offensive line and defensive line not very good. Linebackers leave a lot to be desired. Maybe it's just the aftermath of Harvey but I don't have a good feeling that we will be much better than last year. That said I will give them all I got.

I certainly felt this way after Maryland. A 56 - 0 performance is pretty darn good, even against SJSU. Maybe, just maybe, the team jelled and we will play a respectable game this weekend. I am going into this game with the hope that we will stay on the field, and the real Texas is somewhere in between what we saw in the last two weeks.

Reactions: Kermit68
Someone is babbling. Here is the quote I replied to.

Your quote makes ZERO sense. I pointed that out, and you then try to say that's what you already wrote. Then why did you write the quote?

You have been clueless on this topic for a long time. Babble on.
1394650150_dachshund_puppy_running_around_in_circles.gif

I have nothing against Sam, and I think he will be great when he develops. But, stating a plus for Sam is that he didn't turn the ball over is ludicrous. He threw three passes that would have been interceptions against Maryland or USC this week. He was just fortunate that his opponent was SJSU, and their DB's couldn't catch a cold. If he keeps bouncing the football off of DB's chests, he will pay for it this Saturday night.

Against Maryland, Shane had 3-4 balls that either should have been intercepted or were buy were negated by a penalty. Do those count the same as Sam's?

Against Maryland, Shane had 3-4 balls that either should have been intercepted or were buy were negated by a penalty. Do those count the same as Sam's?
Not really. You're exaggerating the number, plus one was in the face of great duress, the other wasn't.

]You have been clueless on this topic for a long time. Babble on.
I've actually been pretty much 100-percent right on the quarterback stuff.

Knock yourself out on listing things related to the quarterback discussion this year I've been wrong on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT