ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The QB decisions Herman has to make... )

The Longhorn camp wants the offensive personnel to be optimized with the scheme and play book that best fits the talent mix on the roster (and the philosophical beliefs of the coaching staff). And the Longhorn camp is open to all solutions on how to get the most optimal offense, regardless of experience level. If it makes the other team's defense's job more difficult, the Longhorn camp is going to be a fan of that.

The Longhorn camp wants what is best for the program. It isn't concerned with solutions of convenience or fairness. The Longhorn camp wants to win football games, something we haven't been good at in years. Every idea that gets us closer to that destination should be explored, no matter how outside the box it is, no matter how against the grain it is from conventional wisdom. This program is changing culture on the fly - all options are on the table to expedite that change.
Agree

I almost want Sam to start vs USC so many on here can have a reality check that will put an end, at least temporarily, to the teen crush slobbering, gush fest over Sam. Good Grief!
No one is slobbering. He's not YET a plus-player. Neither is Shane.

The issue is which can get there first and which has a higher ceiling within the offense.

@Ketchum - if the 'Horns were able to pull the upset this weekend, to what UT game would you most likely compare it in terms of the perceived disparity of the two teams going into the game? 1996 UT - Nebraska Big 12 Championship?
1998 in Lincoln.

Its just that some people are too quick to throw Shane under the bus, while other are too quick to sing Sams praises when he's only a true frosh with one start against a Crap team. Lets see how Shane does over the next few games with improved play from the O-line. At this point in time, Shane's a better bet when healthy than Sam. Herman thinks so. Who are you to presume to know better?
I don't think Herman thinks so, and I think we'll see this play out over the next month.

I don't think Herman thinks so, and I think we'll see this play out over the next month.

Oh? So Herman's lying to us now? Time to get a grip on reality, Wiz.

Well, so far it seems you were totally wrong about both the team you cover and your favorite NFL team. Cowboys are coming for it this year and the Horns will be fighting to get to a bowl. When you were commenting on the Cowboys I was wondering why you were being so negative. Glad I was right and you were wrong. We get through the bye with one loss max. Maybe to Denver next week, but I doubt it. They have a more pop gun offense than the Giants do.
I wasn't completely wrong about Texas. A number of my predictions have already come true.

Bingo. I think both QBs have high ceilings and can lead the team to big win seasons. I just accept the reality that Sam is far less experienced, and it showed Saturday. He did fine for his first game, and it was a perfect opponent for him to play in his first game. That experience is going to help him and the team.

I am not willing to dump this season however, unlike the Sam fans. I don't see either Sam or Shane as markedly better than the other long term. Both have high ceilings With the right supporting cast, including defense, either could win a game against ANY opponent. At this time however, Shane if far ahead of Sam on the readiness scale, so he gets the nod as long as he is able to play. Its really that simple.

I think you just struggle with the profile/projection of the QB position in general, and that makes it impossible to weigh the situation.

I just cant take your QB conversations seriously anymore. You and Alex have become Sam fanboys to the point of silliness.

Sam is bigger than Shane, yes. Sams body is not likely to wear down like Shane? No. First, facts matter, Sam went out for most all his senior year in HIGH SCHOOL because his body got hurt. Shane played all year in COLLEGE, and played every play, even if with dings that hurt his performance.

Second, Sam is a decent runner based on what we saw Saturday, but he is far from a Heard, let alone Vince. Lest see what happens when he runs against a team with a pulse. Frankly, I hope if he starts against USC he doesn't have to run often.

Your other point about Sam driving the ball down the field is equally misguided. I liked Sams aggressiveness Saturday. That said, I liked Shanes aggressiveness against Md. Its a better offense than last years, which was very limited. Rarely did a throw go over the middle last year. I get that, it was a simple offense built for Shane, a true freshmen. But even with that, Shane threw many, many downfield passes. His lack of arm strength is highly exaggerated by the Sam fans, like you.

Last week Shane threw lots of passes he didn't try last year. Over the middle, wide outs, intermediates. He did fine with them. Herman said that was the plan, to get his WRs the ball on the outside to run against Md. Clearly the plan against SJS was even more wide open, and Sam threw passes all over the field.

But while Sam threw those passes, he missed on many of them, including guys wide open. His touch was non existent, and his receivers missed balls that weren't very catchable, unlike the touch passes Shane throws. And if Sam throws those wild passes next Saturday, he is going to get lit up, because even SJS should have had three picks.

Bottom line, Sam has a lot of talent, and a pretty high ceiling. I love having him on the team, and I think in time he will be a very good QB. But his play Saturday wasn't near as strong as Shanes play was last year. Shane is an unusually mature kid, likely due to growing up in a major league family. He may not be a rah rah kid, but his intensity is fine. I saw it all day Saturday, even while he wasn't playing. Its unfair that you and a few Sam cheerleaders here are running down Shanes ceiling. The kid has every bit as high a ceiling as Sam. He is a different athlete, but you put him on Bamas team and he can win a Natty.

Stick to facts please Ketch, your hyperbole and desire to be the contrarian isn't a positive for the site.
speaking of hyperbole...

If Buechele had the pass protection and rushing attack gainst Marylland that Ehlinger enjoyed Saturday, we'd be 2-0 and sportswriters wouldn't have to contrive a QB controversy.

Ehlinger didn't turn the ball over, and was certainly adquate against a weak opponent. But, keep in mind that Lorenzo Joe's spectacular salvage of another off-target throw increased Ehlingers passing yardage 25%, and prevented his completion rate from being below .500. We've got to have more accuracy to be competitive against top defenses.

Right now, Ehlinger's best asset is his sturdiness. He has a LB's body and fans don't cringe when they see him scrambling. But, given proper pass protection and a good running game, Buechele is the best option, hands-down.

No.

my 13 year old aspiring qb asked me during the game why Sam can't throw a tight spiral. I can't throw one for shvt so I don't know.........is the tightness of the spiral an indication of arm strength or just mechanics. Most of Sam's passes wobble.

Another question.......why are all of our qb roll outs designed to roll left? Makes for an awkward throwing angle. See it over and over with both Shane and Sam. Why not roll right?
The left is better protected, I'm guessing.

Interesting to see the pretty firm Shane and Sam camps on here already. Hell the firm Shane guys have somehow convinced themselves sam didn't play well on sat. Silly. Both guys are longhorns. Both offers some strengths the other doesn't. I will support either one

If shane is still gimpy there is no decision...sam likely starts. You can't play a hobbled Buchele against USC.
exactly right

Not a Texans fan, but damned did I want them to win in a bad way to give the city of Houston something to feel good about. If you can't get your team up to play their best game ever in a situation like what has happened in Houston their must be some serious suckage on that team.
yeah, man, that was hard core to watch.

Props to the jags. That team has some players.

Reactions: Bevotex

Its just that some people are too quick to throw Shane under the bus, while other are too quick to sing Sams praises when he's only a true frosh with one start against a Crap team. Lets see how Shane does over the next few games with improved play from the O-line. At this point in time, Shane's a better bet when healthy than Sam. Herman thinks so. Who are you to presume to know better?

Oh? So Herman's lying to us now? Time to get a grip on reality, Wiz.

I don't think Herman is lying. I think he has two targeted audiences for his public comments - neither of which are fans - and he chooses his words very carefully.

Neither player is a plus-player at this point. That's the reality of the situation.

1998 in Lincoln.

giphy.gif

History shows that '98 NU was hardly a top 10 team. The '96 team subsequently won the national title (half) the following season. This SC team is MUCH closer to '96 NU team than '98 NU.

I would argue that there is a Sam camp and Longhorn camp. The Sam camp is unrealistic in what he brings as a true freshman and is overly critical of Shane to further their agenda.

The Longhorn camp simply wants to win and doesn't care who the QB is, but feels a true freshman is typically not the answer and is calling BS to the Sam camp's slobbering over Sam's play against a terrible team where he was bowling with bumpers on the lane. The Longhorn camp thinks Sam will have a rude awakening in LA, and doesn't want the kid to get thrown in way over his head.
The point you seem to be missing is that neither quarterback is really ready.

That changes the dynamics of the conversation when that is the case.

I would argue that there is a Sam camp and Longhorn camp. The Sam camp is unrealistic in what he brings as a true freshman and is overly critical of Shane to further their agenda.

The Longhorn camp simply wants to win and doesn't care who the QB is, but feels a true freshman is typically not the answer and is calling BS to the Sam camp's slobbering over Sam's play against a terrible team where he was bowling with bumpers on the lane. The Longhorn camp thinks Sam will have a rude awakening in LA, and doesn't want the kid to get thrown in way over his head.
The point you seem to be missing is that neither quarterback is really ready.

That changes the dynamics of the conversation when that is the case.

I was looking so forward to this football season. After two games I dread what I fear is going to happen next week and the following weeks. This team is just not very good. Defensive backfield is scary bad. Offensive line and defensive line not very good. Linebackers leave a lot to be desired. Maybe it's just the aftermath of Harvey but I don't have a good feeling that we will be much better than last year. That said I will give them all I got.

Ketch,

Please go back and watch Daniel Young's four runs. That is a grown man with some serious cuts and explosion for a bigger guy. I saw all I needed to see. He's the best RB prospect on the team, especially long term. He may not be a complete back right now, blocking etc but man I like him. He's better than Carter.
And Carter is better than Warren and Porter.
The two FR need to be on the field

No one is slobbering. He's not YET a plus-player. Neither is Shane.

The issue is which can get there first and which has a higher ceiling within the offense.

No one is slobbering? Could've fooled me. Assuming its a wash, you go with the experienced QB over the greenhorn {who is more of a risk at this point.}

Bingo. I think both QBs have high ceilings and can lead the team to big win seasons. I just accept the reality that Sam is far less experienced, and it showed Saturday. He did fine for his first game, and it was a perfect opponent for him to play in his first game. That experience is going to help him and the team.

I am not willing to dump this season however, unlike the Sam fans. I don't see either Sam or Shane as markedly better than the other long term. Both have high ceilings With the right supporting cast, including defense, either could win a game against ANY opponent. At this time however, Shane if far ahead of Sam on the readiness scale, so he gets the nod as long as he is able to play. Its really that simple.
I think it's funny that some view honest conversation about Buechele as some sort of attack on him.

Reactions: horns--21
But, given proper pass protection and a good running game, Buechele is the best option, hands-down.
Based on what? Hands down? I can tell you Herman doesn't believe the hands down stuff, no matter what he says in public.

The Longhorn camp wants the offensive personnel to be optimized with the scheme and play book that best fits the talent mix on the roster (and the philosophical beliefs of the coaching staff). And the Longhorn camp is open to all solutions on how to get the most optimal offense, regardless of experience level. If it makes the other team's defense's job more difficult, the Longhorn camp is going to be a fan of that.

The Longhorn camp wants what is best for the program. It isn't concerned with solutions of convenience or fairness. The Longhorn camp wants to win football games, something we haven't been good at in years. Every idea that gets us closer to that destination should be explored, no matter how outside the box it is, no matter how against the grain it is from conventional wisdom. This program is changing culture on the fly - all options are on the table to expedite that change.
+1

you and I are fully aligned

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT