ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The QB decisions Herman has to make... )

Interesting to see the pretty firm Shane and Sam camps on here already. Hell the firm Shane guys have somehow convinced themselves sam didn't play well on sat. Silly. Both guys are longhorns. Both offers some strengths the other doesn't. I will support either one

If shane is still gimpy there is no decision...sam likely starts. You can't play a hobbled Buchele against USC.
I would argue that there is a Sam camp and Longhorn camp. The Sam camp is unrealistic in what he brings as a true freshman and is overly critical of Shane to further their agenda.

The Longhorn camp simply wants to win and doesn't care who the QB is, but feels a true freshman is typically not the answer and is calling BS to the Sam camp's slobbering over Sam's play against a terrible team where he was bowling with bumpers on the lane. The Longhorn camp thinks Sam will have a rude awakening in LA, and doesn't want the kid to get thrown in way over his head.

In one week USC will go from a sloppy underachieving team to juggernaut in the media.

USC's defense is not elite by any means and Stanford's loss of Solomon Thomas really hurt them. Tom said Texas starters can play with anyone (as, of course, they should) Good game to find out.

I guess we saw different things.

I agree on seeing different things. SB is more accurate but since the second half of last year the focus has been outs, flats, screens with an occasional deep sideline pass. SE working the mid to deep crossing routes that we have not done for awhile. It did appear that SE is not ready to throw a timing pass to a spot (whether the receivers do not run accurate routes or just not familiar with each other - not sure) - he waits until well after final cut is made to let loose. That will not work against a better DB group and better rush. Having said all that we are the best position at QB since Colt went down against Bama.

Damn good column. Not a Texans fan, but with all that has gone on in Houston over the last few weeks, I give them a 1 game pass. However, I think you are spot on regarding their HC.

Name a team on the rise with poor QB Play?
Cincinnati? Andy Dalton played poorly so I guess there coach doesn't have it...
And man That Russell Wilson stunk so Pete carrol is junk then that guy in New England couldn't beat the chiefs so now we know Belickiky is finished.
Houston still doesn't have a QB

san-jose-st-texas-football-54694-jpg.

Over the course of the first few weeks of training camp in August, Tom Herman tried to give every impression that he had a legit quarterback competition, as he waited until camp ended before naming Shane Buechele as his starter.

Over the course of the last week or so since Buechele injured his throwing shoulder, Herman has seemed to give every impression that he doesn't really have an active quarterback competition.

Well, I have a message for Herman ...

Ready or not, he absolutely has an active quarterback competition on his hands.

Personally, I don't know what the right answer is because it's complicated.

If healthy, I think ... I think ... Shane Buchele is his best option heading into game three of the season. He's the more experienced player, the game is probably is a little slower for him and he's currently a more accurate passer. So, if he's healthy, I totally understand Herman feeling like Buechele is the right call.

Yet, there are a few things about Sam Ehlinger that make me wonder if he will be the answer to this question by the time week 10 rolls around.

1. Ehlinger gives the offense more of a rushing component that is more natural to Tom Herman's offense than Buechele does, partly out of willingness and partly out of the constant fear that Buechele's body has shown a tendency to wear down. Having a runner at the quarterback position that knows exactly when to tuck the ball and get up-field is a critical piece of any college offense in 2017 because those are often the plays for which opposing defenses can't account.

2. Ehlinger will push the ball down the field in the passing game more than Buechele, who is much more comfortable working the underneath areas of the field. In his very first start, Ehlinger attacked areas of the field that Buechele typically does not with the same level of confidence. Ehlinger's ability to stretch the field, especially down the seams, opens up windows and doors for the entire offense in a way that is also critically needed.

3. Ehlinger is the more natural alpha. That's not really my opinion. That's based on everything that Herman has ever said about the two players, as one he is constantly asking for more of in that department, while the other seemingly has exactly what he wants.

In a perfect world, Ehlinger would have redshirted this season, but the genie is out of the bottle and isn't going back in.

The staff will have to weigh all season long the value of playing the guy who is the best option for today versus the value of playing the guy that is potentially the best player in two months.

What's the right call? Again, I'm not sure.

The hope would be that the guy being paid millions to make the right call knows exactly when to pull the strings, IF the strings need be pulled.

No. 2 – The elephant in the room going into this week ...

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAl3AAAAJDY0YjQxYzZjLThjYmUtNGU2NS1iYzVkLTg4NGY1ZTUwZTAzYg.jpg

It remains to be seen whether Buechele will be able to play this week. As of Saturday, he hasn't been throwing the football for a week because of an injury to his throwing shoulder.

While Herman seemed optimistic about Buechele's return, he seemed to choose his words carefully on Saturday in the post-game when painting a picture of the situation.

If Ehlinger starts at USC and plays well ...

No. 3 - The thing that stands out in a good way 24 hours later ...

Anwar mentioned it on the Facebook Live post-game show and Dustin mentioned it on the message board on Sunday, but Tom Herman, his coaches and (most importantly) his team deserve credit for playing a full 60-minute game on Saturday.

It would have been easy for the team to let its guard down or for the back-ups to finish the game in sloppy fashion. We're certainly seen enough of that over the years, even with the best Texas teams, to know that it is a real possibility, especially with the crowd thinking about post-game beers at that point.

Yet, you can make a case that the Longhorns played a better fourth quarter than first quarter, which indicates that Texas imposed its will in the game and never let up.

It's not the kind of thing to throw a parade over, but 24 hours later it's still a standout moment from Saturday.

No. 4 – One thing that absolutely must improve ...

The Texas wide receivers have to play better.

In addition to too many balls hitting the ground that hit the hands of receivers, there were times when I didn't think they fought for the ball hard enough when it was in the air.

This Texas offense can get away with leaving big plays out on the field at home against San Jose State, but it will prove to be incredibly costly should Saturday repeat itself in Los Angeles.

Specifically, I think Collin Johnson needs to flip his switch into "grown-man" mode if possible because I thought he was missing some "junkyard dog" attitude against the Spartans. Texas needs him to be one of the best players on the field in its big games this season.

No. 5 – Buy or Sell …
buy_sell.jpg

BUY or SELL: Texas can lose to USC, but still win a "moral victory?"

(Buy) Texas got drilled by UCLA in Mack Brown's third game as head coach in Austin back in 1998, but the team played its guts out and at the end of the day, 20,000+ Texas fans gave the team a standing ovation in the Rose Bowl. A moral victory isn't a check you want to have to cash often, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

BUY or SELL: Kyle Porter is still top two on the RB depth chart by November?

(Sell) Toneil Carter just needs more touches and he's going to climb the depth chart.

BUY or SELL: Shane Buechele starts vs USC?

(Sell) It's possible, but until I see him practicing, I will err on the side of caution.

BUY or SELL: Both USC and Texas score over 35?

(Sell) That's a level of benefit of the doubt I am not willing to give this Texas offense.

BUY or SELL: In your opinion, Chris Warren should receive at least 40 percent of the total offensive touches moving forward?

(Sell) I think he probably needs 25+ touches this week for Texas to have a chance, but over the course of the season, I'd like to see your number spread out to some of the younger backs on the roster.

BUY or SELL: Those young Texas running backs should get on the field against USC based on what we saw in the game against San Jose State.

(Buy) You can't show fear. You have to play to win, not to lose.

BUY or SELL: CTH will have a better five-year overall record than Lincoln Riley ... assuming they are both around for five years?

(Sell) The way this season could go, it's possible Riley will have twice or nearly twice as many wins in year one, which means Herman would need to outperform him to the tune of close to two wins per season over the following four years and I haven't seen enough from this Texas to assume that will take place.

No. 6 – Giving props where props are do ...

Damn, Oklahoma, that was seriously impressive.

After a pretty uninspiring first half, Lincoln Riley's boys took that game in Columbus by the throat in emphatic fashion.

THAT IS HOW YOU SEND A FREAKING STATEMENT!

You want to know how you change someone's mind about a team with a new coach? Just do that.

Also, did anyone else find it amusing to watch Bob Stoops go YOLO as a fan at the game? I don't know that he ever allowed himself to feel that good about any win he ever had.

No. 7 – How Bout Them Cowboys?

Either the New York Giants are awful or I've underestimated this Dallas Cowboys team.

Regardless, any time the Cowboys beat the Giants, it's a good day, especially when it occurs in dominating fashion.

Dak Prescott was being nitpicked by some during the game, but I thought he was excellent in what will be remembered as just a pretty good game.

He's a better football player and that is reason for real optimism.

No. 8 – You know what Sheriff Buford T. Justice would say about the Texans ...

Woof.

You can't make too much out of any first game, and I would stress that in this situation, but that opener looked a lot like the Longhorns opener. Pretty much everything was bad, except Texas had much better quarterback play than the Texans.

I guess the bottom line for me on a Hot Take Sunday Night is that I don't believe in Bill O'Brien as a head coach.

He's not the guy.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... There's going to be a lot on the line in Bedlam this year, possibly the pole position for a spot in the college playoff and the Heisman Trophy race.

... Baker Mayfield planting the OU flag in Columbus will live on in Oklahoma folklore for the next 100 years.

... Sam Darnald was 21 of 26 for 316 yards and four touchdowns against Stanford. Todd Orlando is going to have his hands full this week.

... Damn, James!

... Lamar Jackson is currently a 9/5 favorite to repeat for the Heisman.

.... DeAndre McNeil caught three passes for 103 yards and a touchdown for Florida Atlantic at Wisconsin.

... There's a very good chance that Kansas State will be a top-15 team when it comes to Austin a few weeks.

... I am so glad I'm not a Bengals fan because I'd claw my eyes out over Andy Dalton.

... If I'm a Jordan Howard fantasy owner, I'd be a tad nervous right about now.

... The Lions looked like hot garbage for a quarter and then looked like a playoff team for the final three quarters. The reverse was true of Arizona.

... Malcolm Brown scored his first touchdown of his career for the Rams on Sunday. Attaboy, Malcolm.

... Rafa. Freaking. Nadal. He's still coming for you, Rog.

... What happened with Sloane Stephens the last two weeks of the US Open was nothing short of being a future Disney movie. Six weeks ago she was barely a top 1,000 player in the rankings. Wow.

... I paid absolutely zero attention to UFC 215 on Saturday night.

No. 10 – And finally …

I''ll leave you with the most Kasey Studdard thing Kasey Studdard could possibly do this weekend.

No soccer thoughts? 5-0 and a GD of 0?

I love that we had 50 messages about the QB debate when you could have swapped both QBs in our first 2 games and the outcomes would not have changed.

Why aren't we talking about the defense, more specifically the LBers? I thought the way Johnson attacked downhill reminded me of old DJ footage.

The simple facts are QB play didn't cause us to lose against MD. LB play absolutely did. We have a LB controversy right now and my thoughts are keep Gary Johnson on the field.

The staff will have to weigh all season long the value of playing the guy who is the best option for today versus the value of playing the guy that is potentially the best player in two months.
This was my thought exactly. Shane may be our best chance to win next week (or look good losing) but I'm not sure that Sam or even Jerrod wouldn't give us a better chance to be a good football team by the end of the season. Glad I'm not the guy stuck with that choice.

Reactions: frink1951
Name a team on the rise with poor QB Play?
Cincinnati? Andy Dalton played poorly so I guess there coach doesn't have it...
And man That Russell Wilson stunk so Pete carrol is junk then that guy in New England couldn't beat the chiefs so now we know Belickiky is finished.
Houston still doesn't have a QB
This ain't Bill's first game, or 1st year with the Texans. He owns Savage and his inability to be competent, even if it hurts your feelings...

If Shane is healthy Herman is going to start him. He's already said that right? I'm a big believer in Ehlinger, but we just have to trust TH knows best.

I'm curious to see how much we will see of Leitao this weekend. What kind of impact can he have on the offense? Is it possible they may actually have a play maker at the TE position? Can he flash in his first game?

I would argue that there is a Sam camp and Longhorn camp. The Sam camp is unrealistic in what he brings as a true freshman and is overly critical of Shane to further their agenda.

The Longhorn camp simply wants to win and doesn't care who the QB is, but feels a true freshman is typically not the answer and is calling BS to the Sam camp's slobbering over Sam's play against a terrible team where he was bowling with bumpers on the lane. The Longhorn camp thinks Sam will have a rude awakening in LA, and doesn't want the kid to get thrown in way over his head.

Bingo. I think both QBs have high ceilings and can lead the team to big win seasons. I just accept the reality that Sam is far less experienced, and it showed Saturday. He did fine for his first game, and it was a perfect opponent for him to play in his first game. That experience is going to help him and the team.

I am not willing to dump this season however, unlike the Sam fans. I don't see either Sam or Shane as markedly better than the other long term. Both have high ceilings With the right supporting cast, including defense, either could win a game against ANY opponent. At this time however, Shane if far ahead of Sam on the readiness scale, so he gets the nod as long as he is able to play. Its really that simple.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
The slamming of Sam is reaching comical levels. I've seen so many say that Sam isn't accurate and all I can do is laugh. There really isn't enough evidence one way or the other, but he was very accurate at Westlake. On Saturday, he started slow, had a few drops, and still finished 15 of 27 for 222 yards. What would his stats have looked like had he thrown 54 times? Did he face much pressure? No he didn't, but he has a feel for when and when not to leave the pocket, and knows when to run. I've also seen someone say that he doesn't have moxie or whatever. I guess they never played football and don't understand what it means. Because the kid does have it. He displayed it all through high school. As for Shane, I love the kid. Great young man, very accurate, not a runner at all, but makes great throws. Both are going to play, and both will do well. I don't see any reason to play Shane this week if he not very close to being fully healed. Conference starts on the 28th at Iowa State and he needs to be fully healthy by then, hopefully. I just want the Horns to have a winning season and end this 7 plus year nightmare and we are going to need Shane, Sam, and Jerrod to get there.

I just cant take your QB conversations seriously anymore. You and Alex have become Sam fanboys to the point of silliness.

Sam is bigger than Shane, yes. Sams body is not likely to wear down like Shane? No. First, facts matter, Sam went out for most all his senior year in HIGH SCHOOL because his body got hurt. Shane played all year in COLLEGE, and played every play, even if with dings that hurt his performance.

Second, Sam is a decent runner based on what we saw Saturday, but he is far from a Heard, let alone Vince. Lest see what happens when he runs against a team with a pulse. Frankly, I hope if he starts against USC he doesn't have to run often.

Your other point about Sam driving the ball down the field is equally misguided. I liked Sams aggressiveness Saturday. That said, I liked Shanes aggressiveness against Md. Its a better offense than last years, which was very limited. Rarely did a throw go over the middle last year. I get that, it was a simple offense built for Shane, a true freshmen. But even with that, Shane threw many, many downfield passes. His lack of arm strength is highly exaggerated by the Sam fans, like you.

Last week Shane threw lots of passes he didn't try last year. Over the middle, wide outs, intermediates. He did fine with them. Herman said that was the plan, to get his WRs the ball on the outside to run against Md. Clearly the plan against SJS was even more wide open, and Sam threw passes all over the field.

But while Sam threw those passes, he missed on many of them, including guys wide open. His touch was non existent, and his receivers missed balls that weren't very catchable, unlike the touch passes Shane throws. And if Sam throws those wild passes next Saturday, he is going to get lit up, because even SJS should have had three picks.

Bottom line, Sam has a lot of talent, and a pretty high ceiling. I love having him on the team, and I think in time he will be a very good QB. But his play Saturday wasn't near as strong as Shanes play was last year. Shane is an unusually mature kid, likely due to growing up in a major league family. He may not be a rah rah kid, but his intensity is fine. I saw it all day Saturday, even while he wasn't playing. Its unfair that you and a few Sam cheerleaders here are running down Shanes ceiling. The kid has every bit as high a ceiling as Sam. He is a different athlete, but you put him on Bamas team and he can win a Natty.

Stick to facts please Ketch, your hyperbole and desire to be the contrarian isn't a positive for the site.

No.

And Ketch and Alex aren't the only UT mods predicting a transition to Sam.

The slamming of Sam is reaching comical levels. I've seen so many say that Sam isn't accurate and all I can do is laugh. There really isn't enough evidence one way or the other, but he was very accurate at Westlake. On Saturday, he started slow, had a few drops, and still finished 15 of 27 for 222 yards. What would his stats have looked like had he thrown 54 times? Did he face much pressure? No he didn't, but he has a feel for when and when not to leave the pocket, and knows when to run. I've also seen someone say that he doesn't have moxie or whatever. I guess they never played football and don't understand what it means. Because the kid does have it. He displayed it all through high school. As for Shane, I love the kid. Great young man, very accurate, not a runner at all, but makes great throws. Both are going to play, and both will do well. I don't see any reason to play Shane this week if he not very close to being fully healed. Conference starts on the 28th at Iowa State and he needs to be fully healthy by then, hopefully. I just want the Horns to have a winning season and end this 7 plus year nightmare and we are going to need Shane, Sam, and Jerrod to get there.
You're delusional.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
This says it all for how agenda driven you are. There was one drop of a good ball and others where the pass was bad to terrible, but could have been caught.

Sam was wildly inaccurate. It was to be expected for his first start. He will get better. No need to make shit up.

The drops note came from Eric, not me. Take it up with him.

If Buechele had the pass protection and rushing attack gainst Marylland that Ehlinger enjoyed Saturday, we'd be 2-0 and sportswriters wouldn't have to contrive a QB controversy.

Ehlinger didn't turn the ball over, and was certainly adquate against a weak opponent. But, keep in mind that Lorenzo Joe's spectacular salvage of another off-target throw increased Ehlingers passing yardage 25%, and prevented his completion rate from being below .500. We've got to have more accuracy to be competitive against top defenses.

Right now, Ehlinger's best asset is his sturdiness. He has a LB's body and fans don't cringe when they see him scrambling. But, given proper pass protection and a good running game, Buechele is the best option, hands-down.

Reactions: txfight and RJWaxa
Its just that some people are too quick to throw Shane under the bus, while other are too quick to sing Sams praises when he's only a true frosh with one start against a Crap team. Lets see how Shane does over the next few games with improved play from the O-line. At this point in time, Shane's a better bet when healthy than Sam. Herman thinks so. Who are you to presume to know better?

I don't think Herman thinks so, and I think we'll see this play out over the next month.

If Shane is healthy Herman is going to start him. He's already said that right? I'm a big believer in Ehlinger, but we just have to trust TH knows best.

I'm curious to see how much we will see of Leitao this weekend. What kind of impact can he have on the offense? Is it possible they may actually have a play maker at the TE position? Can he flash in his first game?
Even if Shane is cleared, I think the wise play would be to start Sam. Our QB is likely to get banged around a bunch this week, and Sam is much better able to endure that punishment and still be available for conference than Shane is IMO.

Kasey Studdard WOULD do that, and WOULD NOT wear anm gear in "My All American"...

Got to love Kasey Studdard!

Everyone does. But he's not been that guy yet. He flashes but he's not been a guy that's demanded the ball or man handled small dbs like he should. As Herman has said, he needs to become more physical.
oops, we're talking about different guys. I agree with you.

Reactions: El Mahico

The Longhorn camp wants the offensive personnel to be optimized with the scheme and play book that best fits the talent mix on the roster (and the philosophical beliefs of the coaching staff). And the Longhorn camp is open to all solutions on how to get the most optimal offense, regardless of experience level. If it makes the other team's defense's job more difficult, the Longhorn camp is going to be a fan of that.

The Longhorn camp wants what is best for the program. It isn't concerned with solutions of convenience or fairness. The Longhorn camp wants to win football games, something we haven't been good at in years. Every idea that gets us closer to that destination should be explored, no matter how outside the box it is, no matter how against the grain it is from conventional wisdom. This program is changing culture on the fly - all options are on the table to expedite that change.

In some ways it's similar to back in the day during the you know when QB controversy. Except a bit in the reverse ironically. One group was much more a fan of the QB and the other much more the team. One group STILL thinks certain games don't exist.

So sick of the "alpha" narrative. Completely media driven BS. Just stop it. Stick to the stats, and Shane is simply better right now.
a. That's your coach that keeps bringing that up.
b. Is Shane? He's posted a 5-8 record in his career with sub 137 ratings in 8 of his last 11 games.

Reactions: horns--21
Based on Herman evaluated both all summer and started Shane in the opener.

There was never a question who would start against Maryland. Locker room dynamics required that. Every snap Sam takes now erodes that dynamic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT