ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The QB decisions Herman has to make... )

giphy.gif

History shows that '98 NU was hardly a top 10 team. The '96 team subsequently won the national title (half) the following season. This SC team is MUCH closer to '96 NU team than '98 NU.
I'm not being as literal as you. I'm simply thinking about the dynamics.

Texas had its ass handed to them earlier in the year back in 1998 and came into that game with a super young quarterback.

That was the day Major became Major.

If Texas were to beat USC, I think the quarterback that leads them enjoys the same spoils.

Replace "Buechele" with Strong, and you've got the world's first ever time machine.
Yup. Fan is short for fanatic and sometimes honest conversations are the toughest to have because fans can't see outside of the emotions.

Anytime people start talking in absolutes... "shane is the best there is ZERO question. you dont know football if you dont agree! its shane, hands down. you are a moron if you cant see shane is the best. you are delusional, etc etc."

i kind of tune out. usually that sort of response shows people dealing with some cognitive dissonance ...

i think sam will be the eventual starter based on watching the first two games and that he gives us the best chance to win.
and since we won with sam and lost with shane, there is no cognitive dissonance here...

Well, so far it seems you were totally wrong about both the team you cover and your favorite NFL team. Cowboys are coming for it this year and the Horns will be fighting to get to a bowl. When you were commenting on the Cowboys I was wondering why you were being so negative. Glad I was right and you were wrong. We get through the bye with one loss max. Maybe to Denver next week, but I doubt it. They have a more pop gun offense than the Giants do.
I wasn't completely wrong about Texas. A number of my predictions have already come true.

Well, it is a long season and the jury is out on both teams. @USC and @Denver will tell us more, but looking at the Cowboys scheduled we have a solid shot at 6-0 going into bye.

Anytime people start talking in absolutes... "shane is the best there is ZERO question. you dont know football if you dont agree! its shane, hands down. you are a moron if you cant see shane is the best. you are delusional, etc etc."

i kind of tune out. usually that sort of response shows people dealing with some cognitive dissonance ...

i think sam will be the eventual starter based on watching the first two games and that he gives us the best chance to win.
and since we won with sam and lost with shane, there is no cognitive dissonance here...

Yep. The truth is, the best option TODAY is probably a platoon.

Reactions: Sixth Street
I did not think Shane played well at all against Maryland. His deep passes were overthrown. His decision making was bad on the goal line as he threw to quickly when he had secondary receivers open in the end zone (blame coaching too). He is also no running threat so teams don't to account for him running.

Sam made some really bad passes and should have had a couple more picks. USC would have eaten him up. I think you have to start Shane since he won't make as many mistakes, but PLEASE play Heard or Sam near the goal line. I think Shane starts and gets pulled early. Then it's Sam's job to lose.

Our defense better stop the run against USC or this will get ugly early. We have to win the turnover battle to have any shot. I didn't think OU had a shot either.

Reactions: tnfnerd
Well, it is a long season and the jury is out on both teams. @USC and @Denver will tell us more, but looking at the Cowboys scheduled we have a solid shot at 6-0 going into bye.
Hope you're right,but I need a larger sample size.

No one is slobbering? Could've fooled me. Assuming its a wash, you go with the experienced QB over the greenhorn {who is more of a risk at this point.}
Only if he's physically ready to play. Don't risk further injury with conference starting soon.

Reactions: Baguette
Only if he's physically ready to play. Don't risk further injury with conference starting soon.

This. My gut tells me Buechele will be held out for SC with an off week looming before start of conference play. This season isn't really about SC. Sure, at some point in the future it will be about just such a game. But not this season. This season is about making real progress within the conference, and frankly that starts with the roadie to Ames on a Thursday.

This. My gut tells me Buechele will be held out for SC with an off week looming before start of conference play. This season isn't really about SC. Sure, at some point in the future it will be about just such a game. But not this season. This season is about making real progress within the conference, and frankly that starts with the roadie to Ames on a Thursday.
another thing we agree on.

Agreed.

But it sure would be nice to beat those guys from Southern Cal.

As Jimmy Johnson said to his Cowboys in 1991 before playing 11-0 Washington,

"When you ever go after a big gorilla, you don't ever hit him lightly... you hit him with everything you've got!"

what did you think of Buechele in week one?
Buechele mover the ball well between the 20's but his decision making was very disappointing. He has to dump the ball to avoid sacks when necessary, and learn to hit secondary receivers when we does have time. The play calling and execution on the goal line was atrocious.

Also it's concerning that he got injuried without really taking a big hit. No one can even tell when he hurt it. We need a running QB to compete at a high level. Sadly, Shane is not that guy. Throwing 50 times a game only invites holding penaties and mistakes.

Reactions: tnfnerd
I think it's funny that some view honest conversation about Buechele as some sort of attack on him.

Back up your "honesty" with some objectivity and facts and this isn't an issue. Many people have posted that your opinions on Shane are just contrarian or pot stirring. Even Such jumped on your lopsided views on the two QBs. Your two biggest supporters on the Sam bandwagon are CS and UTwiz, that should concern you.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Hope you're right,but I need a larger sample size.

Of course. Broncos Cards Rams 9ers skins all should be W's. Packers at Dallas will be a war. Let's call it 4-1 through the bye and then the Skins go down in week 7. Week 15 at raiders is going to be a SB preview. You heard it here first.

Agreed.

But it sure would be nice to beat those guys from Southern Cal.

As Jimmy Johnson said to his Cowboys in 1991 before playing 11-0 Washington,

"When you ever go after a big gorilla, you don't ever hit him lightly... you hit him with everything you've got!"
I can see that Alvin Harper Hail Mary in my mind right now.

Buechele mover the ball well between the 20's but his decision making was very disappointing. He has to dump the ball to avoid sacks when necessary, and learn to hit secondary receivers when we does have time. The play calling and execution on the goal line was atrocious.

Also it's concerning that he got injuried without really taking a big hit. No one can even tell when he hurt it. We need a running QB to compete at a high level. Sadly, Shane is not that guy. Throwing 50 times a game only invites holding penaties and mistakes.
fair enough. no learning curve grades for you and I'm ok with that.

Back up your "honesty" with some objectivity and facts and this isn't an issue. Many people have posted that your opinions on Shane are just contrarian or pot stirring. Even Such jumped on your lopsided views on the two QBs. Your two biggest supporters on the Sam bandwagon are CS and UTwiz, that should concern you.
I posted facts for months. Let's not play the pretend game where that hasn't happened.

I can send you a link for a refresher course if you need me to.

You did not see him push the ball down the field in areas that Shane has been hesitant to do so for much of his young career?

Don't feel bad, most on this board did not notice it and are in denial that it happened. Heck if Shane attacked those areas of the field successfully the job would most likely be his till he left campus.

Fingers crossed that the competition will yield positive results for both quarterbacks and our offense.... but on this board, expect an Applewhite vs. Simms dynamic to develop and fester.

Easy now...
Fair enough. A few tackles against SJSt doesn't make Gary Johnson an NFL HOFer. But I loved the way he attacked upfield, which was a hallmark of DJ. I haven't broken down enough film to say which LBers need to be getting more playing time and who should sit. But better LB play would have won the Maryland game, there is no doubt in my mind.

I can see that Alvin Harper Hail Mary in my mind right now.
Texas needs that win that nobody expects them to win - a win that you look back on and say, "that game is where it changed."

Is that likely to occur this Saturday? Highly unlikely. But, you'd like to see them land a few blows that has everyone feeling confident going forward. You mentioned the great second half versus UCLA in 1998 down 31-3 at the half and coming out and playing much better after halftime.

That payed off later that season when they went to Lincoln later that year and stunned the college football world by beating Nebraska 20-16 ending their 47 game home winning streak.

That win and the later A&M win were turning points for how people and more importantly, recruits, looked at Mack and Texas.

They're not quite on the cusp yet, but at least you could see this past Saturday what the team could like look in the future, when they're capable and able to do that versus good/great teams.

Reactions: Frank Pentangeli
If Buechele had the pass protection and rushing attack gainst Marylland that Ehlinger enjoyed Saturday, we'd be 2-0 and sportswriters wouldn't have to contrive a QB controversy.

Ehlinger didn't turn the ball over, and was certainly adquate against a weak opponent. But, keep in mind that Lorenzo Joe's spectacular salvage of another off-target throw increased Ehlingers passing yardage 25%, and prevented his completion rate from being below .500. We've got to have more accuracy to be competitive against top defenses.

Right now, Ehlinger's best asset is his sturdiness. He has a LB's body and fans don't cringe when they see him scrambling. But, given proper pass protection and a good running game, Buechele is the best option, hands-down.
The only way this post could be more right is if it spelled Maryland correctly.

The issue is which can get there first and which has a higher ceiling within the offense.
I think the issue is who gives us a better chance to win the next game? Start whichever guy that is (with a little wildcat from Heard.)

And please, please, please don't give me any, "we may need to sacrifice a few games and let Sam get game experience because we'll be better next season" nonsense. If Sam has the "IT" factor, and is a better runner, and more durable, etc. then as soon as Herman thinks he gives us the best chance to win the next game then start him.

Herman doesn't owe Shane or Sam anything. He owes the entire team and fanbase the best chance of winning each and every football game.

fair enough. no learning curve grades for you and I'm ok with that.
I'll give Sam a better grade on the curve since it was his first start. Buechele made more bonehead plays than Sam and this is his second year. I agree that neither is ready for USC. We have to stick to the running game and quick passes even if we get down early, and execute in the red zone.

If both healthy, I'd start Buechele since he has the experience. Better to bring Sam off the bench (remember Garrett having to play against Alabama). Let's not ruin Sam if we can avoid it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT