ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The reality of the moment for Herman's Longhorns...)

Way too early to reach your conclusions on Herman and UT. It took Mack Brown 7 years to win a conference championship. He then put together a 5 year run that was as good as any team not coached by Saban or Meyer. Too many of our olds live in a pre-desegregation world of Blair Cherry and Darrell Royal (who had a 4 year dry spell himself). Forget the media vibe and confidence coming into the year. We lost all 5 senior starters from DL and LB crew that put little pressure on the passer lost year. Somehow a defensive line with Ta’Quon Graham and Malcolm Roach was supposed to be a huge step up from Omenihu and Hager. McCullough was supposed to be better than Gary Johnson? We were down 2 young starters in the defensive backfield and one of our star safeties is playing with an arm taped to his side so he can’t raise it over his shoulder. I have never been a huge fan of Orlando’s defensive philosophy but to put Herman on some kind of warm seat after losing to the two best offenses in the nation? Shame on you for setting the expectations that anything other than a 1 loss season is a disaster.

Amazing how the entire tone from the win in the Sugar Bowl has changed to now....We've gone from on the verge of being elite to Herman is not the guy.....

This is the ultimate in what have you done for me lately, and lately we’re seeing something a lot closer to average than elite.

Total agreement but I think 10-2 is still an improvement.

Yeah Sooners grabbed a heisman caliber QB off the portal and beat us by 1 TD but the trend is still In our favor.

The whole we lost by a TD is such fools gold - we’re damn lucky, almost beyond belief that it was a one TD loss because we got completely dominated and outclassed in all three phases of the game. 9 sacks, 300 yards rushing, that’s a complete and total ass kicking.

I’m afraid maybe Mensa has the same mindset and will point to the score to try to lie to himself about what happened on Saturday.

Tom isn't a knee jerk reactionary. He will do what is best for the program even if it involves cutting some people loose. He hasn't got to where he is never seeing that and never making changes.

Ridiculous article and tired of the over the top negativity after this game on staff, outlook, expectations etc.

Let’s be real. This program and athletic department was in complete disarray over the past five years. Patterson and Strong were disasters. Period. Complete wipeout losses (remember BYU disasters, monster losses to TCU and Iowa State, I have never seen such an inept team that loss at ND and of course Kansas), the recruiting was a joke despite some decent rankings because a lot of players never even seemed to show up and the player development was non existent.

Bring in Herman and staff and three years we are already in the second level of top teams like Penn State, Michigan, Auburn etc.

We are doing this with a third string QB as our main RB, our best WR out for most of the season, to many injuries to count and most players sophomores or younger.

It’s hard to play a real 4-3 when we have very few real D lineman. We could not recruit these type of players due in large part to the fact that Texas has been terrible at putting players into the NFL this entire decade. That is also slowly starting to change. We are now recruiting top lineman this year and top offensive lineman this year and next.

This year has been a success so far when we realize this is a major rebuild project and we are building a solid foundation for the next 15 years. This year, We are finally beating down the teams we should, we beat the two teams that beat us last year and lost by 7 points to two top five teams. And yes, we haven’t even played that well. That shows a lot to me.

We go 9-3 or 10-2 and make the CCG that is very good success. BTW, I am pretty sure this team will be just as good as the past three coaches teams in year 3 (look at records) and this staff has had to bring a team from way further back than those coaches did.

Trying to compare Herman to a Lincoln Riley or Orgeron or someone like that at this point is completely in reasonable. Those guys followed Stoops and Miles who had their programs on pretty solid footing and real talent.

No disrespect to last couple of years to Mack Brown and Charlie Strong, but the program during those times was a real embarrassment to the University.

Anyone who thinks it’s easy to bring back a program from falling into the abyss like Texas did just take a look at USC, Nebraska, Florida State or Tennessee or someone like that. We are very lucky to finally have a program being built with a real foundation and towards a spot in that first level of teams. Hopefully we don’t help derail it by knee jerk reactions and unrealistic expectations at this point in the process.
Excellent post and response! Thank you sir!

Hey we lost to two top five teams by 7 points. Last year at this point we were 4-2 and we are 4-2 now. We beat two teams Oklahoma state and West Virginia that beat us last year. If we win out, win or lose the big twelve and win our bowl game then we are making progress. Let’s chill on the coaches and see how things play out.

The whole we lost by a TD is such fools gold - we’re damn lucky, almost beyond belief that it was a one TD loss because we got completely dominated and outclassed in all three phases of the game. 9 sacks, 300 yards rushing, that’s a complete and total ass kicking.

THIS! UT got it's ass kicked. Physically dominated, and out coached.

Baylor playing OU in the big 12 title game would represent such a colossal failure and speak volumes about this staff verses Baylor's staff. Forget comparing Texas to OU. That's what regression looks like for Texas and that's what a great hire looks like in Waco. That would be a gut punch to the folks in Austin but maybe more than that it means one of the highest paid staffs in college football with a year head start and much better recruiting isnt as good as a program that cant attract much talent and was an embarrassment just a few years ago.

I cannot comprehend just how bad that would be on so many fronts. That simply cannot happen.
Baylor has some losses coming. One should have occurred this weekend. The question is whether Texas delivers one.

If you don’t believe Tom will EVER win a Natty - then what the hell are we all doing here (on OB)??
I'm sorry you are surprised at my answer. It's the answer I give every time the question is asked and my answer is always the same. You can't assume national titles.

This coming from the guy that said Garret Gilbert was our next great “can,t miss” quarterback.
That's correct. I sometimes miss.

That was a decade ago. Gilbert is still on an NFL roster.

The comment that a successful season is not only making the CCG but beating OU as well. If not, you suggest that would cause some sort of unrest and than try and apply it to Mackovic, Brown and Strong.

We go 9-3 or 10-2 and make the CCG that would be a success taking into account all the points I mention. The progress continues. To act like it it’s a failure you don’t beat a team that has been to several playoffs in recent years and is a top five team doesn’t accept where this program was just three years ago.

I was at the UCLA game that basically led to Mackovic’s firing. Strong had a losing record for three straight years. When that happens to Herman than I will understand.

Loved Brown but he didn’t really pile up the conference trophies. I don’t think it makes sense to set over the top expectations st this point and when don’t make it suggest there is some controversy. I for one never want to go back to the Texas program of the last ten years so I am happy letting these staff get the time to develop a real foundation for a coming decade.
Not winning the Big 12 title puts pressure on Herman entering year four.

That was the point I made and it's true. It' is Fantasy land stuff to believe otherwise.

Hey Ketch why do you sell Kool Aid in the summer and then sell panic during the season? Happens every single year. Use a little more reality.
lol. sell Kool-aid? I was the one trying to tell everyone the defensive line was a real problem area.

I pretty much predicted a 9-3 season all summer, although I thought the greatness of Sam would get them over the hump in December.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
... I really thought that Ed Orgeron was going to fall on his face as the head coach for LSU and I have been 100-percent wrong in not giving him enough respect.

Does anyone actually think Orgeron is a better coach than Herman? Or did he just pay top dollar for great coordinators and is reaping the benefits? I think it's the latter. We are paying top dollar for coordinators, but they aren't yielding the kind of results we should demand this season. Herman has some tough decisions to make.
why do you think Herman is the better coach?

@Ketchum

1) What was your loss prediction at the beginning of the year? 3 or 4 wasn’t it? You think losing to two consensus top 5s by 14 total is curtains for us? Interesting.

2) Injuries could be important context for Sam. I’d buy that if I didn’t see the 5 guys in front of him and the 1 beside him in the last 2 games have their worst games of the season. I don’t care how good Sam is. It takes a village. He threw 4 really good balls at OU that 3 receivers dropped. Guy needs help.

There’s underlying context here that no one is talking about.

If you watched LSU play Florida, you saw the same team that played Texas. What you don’t see with Texas, however, is the same team that played LSU. Why is that? Are we physically spent and broken from injuries as a team? Was this just an anomaly? Why is there a negative trend developing?
1. I never said it was curtains for Texas. You just made that up in your head.

2. agreed to an extent. He definitely needs more help.

3. Everyone is talking about the underlying context you are suggesting they aren't.

Hey we lost to two top five teams by 7 points. Last year at this point we were 4-2 and we are 4-2 now. We beat two teams Oklahoma state and West Virginia that beat us last year. If we win out, win or lose the big twelve and win our bowl game then we are making progress. Let’s chill on the coaches and see how things play out.
I was merely laying out what's on the table. I'd contend some in this thread have overreacted to the article than I have overreacted to what's happened this season.

I've seen some serious reading comprehension failure.

I’m afraid maybe Mensa has the same mindset and will point to the score to try to lie to himself about what happened on Saturday.

This whole we got outclassed crap is tiring. If OU wanted to cover the spread they would have.

They couldn't. They never had a huge lead.

It's not like they were up 3 TDs and we got garbage points at the end.

We struggled on offense but so did they and we lost by one score. And it was a one score game for most of the game.

Reactions: cooleyo
Coach o and Herman will defend their bs scheme to the end. Hey coach, 3 down lineman ain’t working.

Signed. ( every longhorns fan).
Didn’t work for Mike Stoops at OU either. It was horrid. A true 3 down lineman will not work if they aren’t elite players. Pressure on the QB is a must in this league, all leagues

Reactions: cheeks3pk
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

I suppose I've got a bit of good and bad news for the 2019 Texas Longhorns.

In a message that Tom Herman will surely support, the Texas Longhorns still have a season with their biggest goal in front of them and obtainable. The most important task that needed to be executed this season was winning the Big 12 Championship. With one conference loss, a win over Oklahoma State and the Oklahoma game out of the way, a rematch with the Sooners would open the door for this season to still represent a very successful season.

In a message that Herman will almost certainly not support, this year's Longhorns have potentially used all of their "get out of jail" cards for the rest of the season if they want to call this season a success at the turn of the year.

Save me all the "1-0" remarks because when you're 4-2 at the midway point of the season and have lost the two most important games on the entire schedule, a little big picture reality is almost certainly needed. After winning the Sugar Bowl and appearing in the Big 12 title game last season, ready or not, the expectations have increased and the demands for more are higher.

That's the job. When you get into year three as the head coach at a school like Texas, excuses or reasons (whichever way you want to label it) for not achieving the outlined definition of the words "successful season" don't really fly.

It was that way for John Mackovic. It was that way for Mack Brown. It was that way for Charlie Strong.

Hell, it might just be the most consistent thing about the Texas football program, unless you want to suggest that allowing Oklahoma to consistently dominate the Big 12 is even more consistent, at which point I'd probably allow it.

Anyways, the Longhorns now have two steps that must be taken to save this season.

a. Do what it takes to get to Dallas in December for a rematch for the Big 12 Championship Game.
b. Beat Oklahoma for the Big 12 Championship.

Anything less than both represents a disappointing season. Anything less than making it back to Dallas would represent regression. Period.

As it relates to making it back to the Big 12 Championship Game, the Longhorns are in pretty good shape, but it's going to need the kind of consistent quality that existed in September and not the below-standards production of the last two games in all three phases of the game to get it done. More than anything, beating Baylor in Waco on November 23 probably becomes the most important game remaining on the schedule because a loss would mean Texas would need at least three Baylor losses in its other final five games because of the head-to-head tie-breaker the Bears would have over the Longhorns in the event of a tie.

Given the shape of the current standings and the fact that the Longhorns are the only Big 12 "contender" that has faced Oklahoma so far this season, that game in Waco is paramount. The game in Ames is right behind it in terms of importance.

For the sake of continuing to outline what needs to happen to save this season, let's assume the Longhorns navigate the final six games successfully and make it back to Dallas for the Oklahoma rematch.

They have to win that game. For countless reasons.

It was would give Oklahoma its 147th Big 12 title, at least I think that's the number (it certainly feels that way) and it would leave Herman with a 1-4 record against the Sooners, which would include an 0-2 mark in Big 12 Championship games.

What would the stakes be should the Longhorns come up short?

That's a great question. Outside of losing the sky high spirits that have existed around the program for the last nine months and wasting one of the upper-class years of arguably the third-best quarterback in school history in the making, Herman would likely enter the most important season of his career. A high-level Texas official told me when Herman was hired that if he hadn't win a Big 12 title by year four, it would mean they hired the wrong coach.

While that might sound harsh, we're talking about a school that fired Mackovic one year after he won a Big 12 title and Strong three years into a deal. This place doesn't really do the whole failing to meet expectations thing very well. It would make the 2020 season, which would be Ehlinger's senior season, extremely critical.

We're not at any sort of a crisis moment, but we are at a reality check moment.

It's year three. The time to become the program that you project the program to be is now. Not being able to do will lead to some unrest because that's the reality of the world we live in.

No. 2 - Let's talk about Sam ...

It was three weeks ago on Monday that Orangebloods first reported the rib injury that Texas starting quarterback Sam Ehlinger has been dealing with since the early part of the season.

It's not something Ehlinger or Tom Herman has made any kind of public issue with, likely because a rib injury isn't exactly the kind of thing you want to make a public announcement on when you take the shots to the body that Ehlinger already takes.

My own sources indicated that the injury occurred during the LSU game and remained an issue over the course of the next couple of weeks going into the bye week in September, even though he played very well, which is one of the reasons why there wasn't much of a fuss about the whole situation.

Yet, going into the bye week the injury remained enough of a problem that Ehlinger was given some rest during the off-week, which is when we first reported the ongoing issue. On Thursday, I reported in the TicketCity Podcast and and in a discussion on the Orangebloods message boards that Ehlinger reportedly had been bothered by the injury in the second half of the West Virginia game. Meanwhile, Anwar Richardson reported in Thursday's War Room that Ehlinger was also dealing with some sort of shoulder injury.

Again, Ehlinger hasn't complained about any of this, but it's important to note because his numbers from the last two weeks have declined considerably from the first four games of the season.

A week after posting a season-worst 122.2 efficiency number against West Virginia (by 43.5 points), Ehlinger's posted a new season-worst efficiency number (114.8) against the Sooners.

Of course, drops had a lot to do with that number, but the naked eye could see that Ehlinger wasn't 100-percent right in that game. So much of Ehlinger's success as a player is the escapability in the pocket that makes him sometimes impossible to corral for opposing defenses. Against the Sooners, Ehlinger looked a little stiff and seemed to lack some of his natural mobility, which absolutely contributed to the nine sacks that the Longhorns gave up against the Sooners.

What's the point of all of this?

I suppose it's to point out an elephant in the room. In order to be great, Texas needs Ehlinger to be great and in the last two weeks he hasn't been great while dealing with multiple physical ailments. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but is a thing and a thing we're all going to need to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.

No. 3 - Call me crazy ...

The next time the Longhorns play the Sooners, it might be a good eye to do as well of a self-scouting job as it will be to re-scout the Sooners, as least as it relates to the Texas offense.

I'm not automatically saying that the Sooners knew what the Longhorns were doing pre-snap, but it sure seemed that way, especially when the Longhorns tried to create anything with the east-west passing game. Every time the Longhorns threw the ball into the flat, Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray seemed to have a head start on the play.

As someone that has watched the Texas back alignment on almost every play for the last two years to get an idea of whether Texas is going to run or pass on each play (if the running back is lined up within a yard of Ehlinger in the backfield, it's almost always a pass play), I'd suggest the Longhorn coaching staff make every effort to make it harder for opposing defenses to know with certainty what's coming at them.

No. 4 - All Big-12 Longhorns ...

If we were to do an all-Big 12 team at the midway point in the season, these are the Longhorns that would earn first-team all-Big 12 mention:

Devin Duvernay and Sam Cosmi.

I'd ask if I'm missing anyone else, but I already know the answer to that question ... no. The fact that the Longhorns have only two true first-team all-Big 12 players at this point in the season in all three phases of the game is one of the reasons why the Longhorns haven't quite hit an elite stride this season.

No. 5 - Five Players I'm Still Thinking About 24 Hours Later ...

Anthony Cook - The only player on the Texas defense that I absolutely want to give an "attaboy" to on the defensive side of the ball is the sophomore from Houston Lamar. Playing in what would normally be Jalen Green's spot on the field, Cook not only made the biggest defensive play of the game with his forced fumble in the first quarter, but he played a winning brand of football throughout the game when he was on the field.

B.J. Foster - I thought he looked like a shell of the player I know exists inside that No. 25 jersey. Just how banged up is he right now?

Roschon Johnson - The true freshman has 216 yards rushing on 29 carries in the last two weeks, while sophomore Keaontay Ingram has rushed for 27 yards on 13 carries over the same timeframe. The Longhorn coaching staff can't wait until the third quarter this week to get him involved in the offense.

Derek Kerstetter - This makes two weeks in a row that Kerstetter has struggled in handling the players and tactics that opposing teams are throwing his way. Considering teams aren't even really bothering to attack the left side of the Texas line, Kerstetter is simply going to need to improve because the blue-print for going after this line is well-known at this point.

Zach Shackelford - For a senior captain that came into the season as a first-team all-Big 12 player, I just didn't think Shackelford played well enough on Saturday. Whether it was being unable to handle Neville Gallimore in one-on-one situations or recognizing the stunts that Oklahoma was running directly at him, Shackelford's fingerprints were all over the things that went down in the Texas backfield.

No. 6 - If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. Wisconsin
7. Florida
8. Penn State
9. Georgia
10. Notre Dame

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) Coming into this season, one of the things I've liked about Herman as a CEO is his ability to make changes quickly in areas that he needed to make changes. If this season goes sideways, he won't stand pat.

(Buy) You read my mind.

(Buy) I have no evidence to give you to support this belief, but surely the insanity will end.

(Buy) I know a lot of Texas fans believe that Texas can play much better in a rematch, but I kind of feel like Oklahoma played a C+ game on offense yesterday, especially with the mistakes it made in the red zone. I was confident of a Texas win in a rematch before yesterday, but now my belief has been shaken.

(Sell) Nah ... Typically, recruitments don't change on a dime because of the outcome of a single game. What happens the rest of the season greatly matters though ...

(Sell) Nah ...

(Sell) It's more than merely scheme. It's talented-related as well.

(Sell) I don't believe that at all.

(Sell) The guys that are missing haven't exactly been tearing it up when healthy.

(Sell) No, I don't see him doing that.

(Buy) Only DeShon Elliott has been a consensus all-American since 2009, so ... yeah ...

(Sell) That's always been my mindset, though, so nothing has changed.

(Buy) Half a decade is enough time to draw some conclusions, but we're still two seasons away from that particular standard.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Texas Tech was absolutely robbed in Waco. The Big 12 confirmed this on Sunday.

... I really thought that Ed Orgeron was going to fall on his face as the head coach for LSU and I have been 100-percent wrong in not giving him enough respect.

... Will Muschamp picked up the biggest win of his career on Saturday and it changes nothing about where that program is going as far as I can see. Consider that a one-off.

... I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about the Dallas Cowboys other than I feel slightly stupid for drinking just a bit of the Kool-aid. I was never thinking Super Bowl, but my goodness, I thought the team was better than what we watched on Sunday.

... DeShaun Watson didn't even have his A-game on Sunday and the Texans beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead. I don't know what it means, but the Texans have regained my attention, even though I know BOB will mess it all up at some point.

... The 49ers dominated the Rams. Dominated them.

... The Browns are 2-4 and that makes me smile.

... The Eagles still haven't covered Stefan Diggs.

... What must Bryce Harper be thinking right now with the Nationals on a potential World Series run? I'm sure he's happy for his former teammates, but man ...

... When I grow up, I want to be Sadio Mane.
EGs07LJXYAEgE69

... Gini with the Goal of the Weekend!

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Willie Joints ...

Taking into account all of the work over the span of decades and decades, here's a look at look at my Top 10 Willie songs, as performed by Willie.

Note: Before anyone asks, Crazy is one of my all-time favorite songs, but his version of the song isn't my favorite. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine, but it doesn't make my PERSONAL top 10 list.

The key word is PERSONAL.

10. Hello Walls
9. Night Life
8. Always on my Mind
7. Whiskey River
6. Goodhearted Woman
5. Pancho and Lefty
4. Angel Flying Too Close to The Ground
3. A Song For You
2. Blue Eyes Crying in the rain
1. Seven Spanish Angels

No. 10 – And Finally ...

My favorite Texas/OU photo from this weekend came via a friend's Facebook photo. Part of me sees the world's biggest Longhorns fan and the other part of me can't stop thinking about the dog from Little Nicky.

EGsG4eVXkAATDav

I would prefer ten songs written and performed by Willie. Me and

In a message that Tom Herman will surely support, the Texas Longhorns still have a season with their biggest goal in front of them and obtainable. The most important task that needed to be executed this season was winning the Big 12 Championship. With one conference loss, a win over Oklahoma State and the Oklahoma game out of the way, a rematch with the Sooners would open the door for this season to still represent a very successful season.

In a message that Herman will almost certainly not support, this year's Longhorns have potentially used all of their "get out of jail" cards for the rest of the season if they want to call this season a success at the turn of the year.

Save me all the "1-0" remarks because when you're 4-2 at the midway point of the season and have lost the two most important games on the entire schedule, a little big picture reality is almost certainly needed. After winning the Sugar Bowl and appearing in the Big 12 title game last season, ready or not, the expectations have increased and the demands for more are higher.

That's the job. When you get into year three as the head coach at a school like Texas, excuses or reasons (whichever way you want to label it) for not achieving the outlined definition of the words "successful season" don't really fly.

It was that way for John Mackovic. It was that way for Mack Brown. It was that way for Charlie Strong.

Hell, it might just be the most consistent thing about the Texas football program, unless you want to suggest that allowing Oklahoma to consistently dominate the Big 12 is even more consistent, at which point I'd probably allow it.

Anyways, the Longhorns now have two steps that must be taken to save this season.

a. Do what it takes to get to Dallas in December for a rematch for the Big 12 Championship Game.

Anything less than both represents a disappointing season. Anything less than making it back to Dallas would represent regression. Period.

As it relates to making it back to the Big 12 Championship Game, the Longhorns are in pretty good shape, but it's going to need the kind of consistent quality that existed in September and not the below-standards production of the last two games in all three phases of the game to get it done. More than anything, beating Baylor in Waco on November 23 probably becomes the most important game remaining on the schedule because a loss would mean Texas would need at least three Baylor losses in its other final five games because of the head-to-head tie-breaker the Bears would have over the Longhorns in the event of a tie.

Given the shape of the current standings and the fact that the Longhorns are the only Big 12 "contender" that has faced Oklahoma so far this season, that game in Waco is paramount. The game in Ames is right behind it in terms of importance.

For the sake of continuing to outline what needs to happen to save this season, let's assume the Longhorns navigate the final six games successfully and make it back to Dallas for the Oklahoma rematch.

It was would give Oklahoma its 147th Big 12 title, at least I think that's the number (it certainly feels that way) and it would leave Herman with a 1-4 record against the Sooners, which would include an 0-2 mark in Big 12 Championship games.

That's a great question. Outside of losing the sky high spirits that have existed around the program for the last nine months and wasting one of the upper-class years of arguably the third-best quarterback in school history in the making, Herman would likely enter the most important season of his career. A high-level Texas official told me when Herman was hired that if he hadn't win a Big 12 title by year four, it would mean they hired the wrong coach.

While that might sound harsh, we're talking about a school that fired Mackovic one year after he won a Big 12 title and Strong three years into a deal. This place doesn't really do the whole failing to meet expectations thing very well. It would make the 2020 season, which would be Ehlinger's senior season, extremely critical.

It's year three. The time to become the program that you project the program to be is now. Not being able to do will lead to some unrest because that's the reality of the world we live in.

It was three weeks ago on Monday that Orangebloods first reported the rib injury that Texas starting quarterback Sam Ehlinger has been dealing with since the early part of the season.

It's not something Ehlinger or Tom Herman has made any kind of public issue with, likely because a rib injury isn't exactly the kind of thing you want to make a public announcement on when you take the shots to the body that Ehlinger already takes.

My own sources indicated that the injury occurred during the LSU game and remained an issue over the course of the next couple of weeks going into the bye week in September, even though he played very well, which is one of the reasons why there wasn't much of a fuss about the whole situation.

Yet, going into the bye week the injury remained enough of a problem that Ehlinger was given some rest during the off-week, which is when we first reported the ongoing issue. On Thursday, I reported in the TicketCity Podcast and and in a discussion on the Orangebloods message boards that Ehlinger reportedly had been bothered by the injury in the second half of the West Virginia game. Meanwhile, Anwar Richardson reported in Thursday's War Room that Ehlinger was also dealing with some sort of shoulder injury.

Again, Ehlinger hasn't complained about any of this, but it's important to note because his numbers from the last two weeks have declined considerably from the first four games of the season.

A week after posting a season-worst 122.2 efficiency number against West Virginia (by 43.5 points), Ehlinger's posted a new season-worst efficiency number (114.8) against the Sooners.

Of course, drops had a lot to do with that number, but the naked eye could see that Ehlinger wasn't 100-percent right in that game. So much of Ehlinger's success as a player is the escapability in the pocket that makes him sometimes impossible to corral for opposing defenses. Against the Sooners, Ehlinger looked a little stiff and seemed to lack some of his natural mobility, which absolutely contributed to the nine sacks that the Longhorns gave up against the Sooners.

I suppose it's to point out an elephant in the room. In order to be great, Texas needs Ehlinger to be great and in the last two weeks he hasn't been great while dealing with multiple physical ailments. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but is a thing and a thing we're all going to need to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.

The next time the Longhorns play the Sooners, it might be a good eye to do as well of a self-scouting job as it will be to re-scout the Sooners, as least as it relates to the Texas offense.

I'm not automatically saying that the Sooners knew what the Longhorns were doing pre-snap, but it sure seemed that way, especially when the Longhorns tried to create anything with the east-west passing game. Every time the Longhorns threw the ball into the flat, Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray seemed to have a head start on the play.

As someone that has watched the Texas back alignment on almost every play for the last two years to get an idea of whether Texas is going to run or pass on each play (if the running back is lined up within a yard of Ehlinger in the backfield, it's almost always a pass play), I'd suggest the Longhorn coaching staff make every effort to make it harder for opposing defenses to know with certainty what's coming at them.

If we were to do an all-Big 12 team at the midway point in the season, these are the Longhorns that would earn first-team all-Big 12 mention:

I'd ask if I'm missing anyone else, but I already know the answer to that question ... no. The fact that the Longhorns have only two true first-team all-Big 12 players at this point in the season in all three phases of the game is one of the reasons why the Longhorns haven't quite hit an elite stride this season.

Anthony Cook - The only player on the Texas defense that I absolutely want to give an "attaboy" to on the defensive side of the ball is the sophomore from Houston Lamar. Playing in what would normally be Jalen Green's spot on the field, Cook not only made the biggest defensive play of the game with his forced fumble in the first quarter, but he played a winning brand of football throughout the game when he was on the field.

B.J. Foster - I thought he looked like a shell of the player I know exists inside that No. 25 jersey. Just how banged up is he right now?

Roschon Johnson - The true freshman has 216 yards rushing on 29 carries in the last two weeks, while sophomore Keaontay Ingram has rushed for 27 yards on 13 carries over the same timeframe. The Longhorn coaching staff can't wait until the third quarter this week to get him involved in the offense.

Derek Kerstetter - This makes two weeks in a row that Kerstetter has struggled in handling the players and tactics that opposing teams are throwing his way. Considering teams aren't even really bothering to attack the left side of the Texas line, Kerstetter is simply going to need to improve because the blue-print for going after this line is well-known at this point.

Zach Shackelford - For a senior captain that came into the season as a first-team all-Big 12 player, I just didn't think Shackelford played well enough on Saturday. Whether it was being unable to handle Neville Gallimore in one-on-one situations or recognizing the stunts that Oklahoma was running directly at him, Shackelford's fingerprints were all over the things that went down in the Texas backfield.

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. Wisconsin
7. Florida
8. Penn State
9. Georgia
10. Notre Dame

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) Coming into this season, one of the things I've liked about Herman as a CEO is his ability to make changes quickly in areas that he needed to make changes. If this season goes sideways, he won't stand pat.

(Buy) You read my mind.

(Buy) I have no evidence to give you to support this belief, but surely the insanity will end.

(Buy) I know a lot of Texas fans believe that Texas can play much better in a rematch, but I kind of feel like Oklahoma played a C+ game on offense yesterday, especially with the mistakes it made in the red zone. I was confident of a Texas win in a rematch before yesterday, but now my belief has been shaken.

(Sell) Nah ... Typically, recruitments don't change on a dime because of the outcome of a single game. What happens the rest of the season greatly matters though ...

(Sell) Nah ...

(Sell) The guys that are missing haven't exactly been tearing it up when healthy.

(Buy) Only DeShon Elliott has been a consensus all-American since 2009, so ... yeah ...

(Buy) Half a decade is enough time to draw some conclusions, but we're still two seasons away from that particular standard.

... Texas Tech was absolutely robbed in Waco. The Big 12 confirmed this on Sunday.

... Will Muschamp picked up the biggest win of his career on Saturday and it changes nothing about where that program is going as far as I can see. Consider that a one-off.

... I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about the Dallas Cowboys other than I feel slightly stupid for drinking just a bit of the Kool-aid. I was never thinking Super Bowl, but my goodness, I thought the team was better than what we watched on Sunday.

... DeShaun Watson didn't even have his A-game on Sunday and the Texans beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead. I don't know what it means, but the Texans have regained my attention, even though I know BOB will mess it all up at some point.

... What must Bryce Harper be thinking right now with the Nationals on a potential World Series run? I'm sure he's happy for his former teammates, but man ...

EGs07LJXYAEgE69

Taking into account all of the work over the span of decades and decades, here's a look at look at my Top 10 Willie songs, as performed by Willie.

Note: Before anyone asks, Crazy is one of my all-time favorite songs, but his version of the song isn't my favorite. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine, but it doesn't make my PERSONAL top 10 list.

10. Hello Walls
9. Night Life
8. Always on my Mind
7. Whiskey River
6. Goodhearted Woman
5. Pancho and Lefty
3. A Song For You
1. Seven Spanish Angels

No. 10 – And Finally ...

My favorite Texas/OU photo from this weekend came via a friend's Facebook photo. Part of me sees the world's biggest Longhorns fan and the other part of me can't stop thinking about the dog from Little Nicky.

EGsG4eVXkAATDav

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. Wisconsin
7. Florida
8. Penn State
9. Georgia
10. Notre Dame

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) You read my mind.

(Sell) Nah ...

EGs07LJXYAEgE69

10. Hello Walls
9. Night Life
8. Always on my Mind
7. Whiskey River
6. Goodhearted Woman
5. Pancho and Lefty
3. A Song For You
1. Seven Spanish Angels

No. 10 – And Finally ...

EGsG4eVXkAATDav

Ketch, great as always.
I have had a nagging question bothering me for a couple of years - is Lincoln Riley THAT good, or does he have a continuous wealth of players? He seems to do fantastic, especially offensively and QB development - and I wish we had a wizard on the offensive side like him. Thanks as always, and hookem.

O-line will be fine. Sam will heal up and be fine.

The two things that concern me are tackling and CTH’s seemingly lack of ability to entertain the fact that maybe he doesn’t hang the fvcking moon and that the arrogant Mensa schtick gets really old when you get out coached.

But I think if we can learn to tackle in the next two weeks, we should be ok.
I don't understand the comments people have about CTH hanging the moon and the Mensa thing. I've watched his news conferences and interviews and read just about everything reported on him and the team. I think he's wound pretty tight, not the most articulate person in the world and watches his words pretty carefully, but I don't see that as arrogance nor do I understand comments about a "Mensa schtick," which a number of OBers refer to from time to time. After a loss he essentially admits the need to do a better job with the players and game plan, i.e., special teams miscues last week. What am I missing here? The bottom line is simply he's been out-schemed and out-coached and, to me, that's the most troublesome.

Last edited:
Baconbeard said:
Well since only like 5 active coaches have won a national title, it’s a pretty easy position to take that any one coach won’t do it.
bingo. It's naive to ever assume he would win one.
Understanding in terms of absolutes. Asking a different question, do you think he "can"?

Not winning the Big 12 title puts pressure on Herman entering year four.

That was the point I made and it's true. It' is Fantasy land stuff to believe otherwise.

There is pressure to win the Big 12 title and compete for the national championship at Texas. I agree. However, I think it’s fantasy land to believe that we basically need to be at that level essentially now seeing that Texas hasn’t been relevant in over a decade. Also, I am surprised that you wouldn’t recognize just how lost and terrible the Texas program was under Strong that it sure seemed to look like it was to me. No way a program recovers from that to true elite status by this point.

I just felt the article was a little over the top in terms of negativity at this point. I am for the Herman 1-0 approach. Texas has always had an issue not looking at what is right in front of them. Best thing is put OU game behind them and seek to take it to Kansas. Make ourselves 5-2 and hopefully move up a spot or two in rankings. Than on to the next game.

I would also say along with my other points:

- We do need to realize that 4 important recruits who should be playing at the moment are not in McCoy, Floyd, Whittington and Brown.
- We have had clear deficiencies as a program in the last ten years in certain areas, but they are being addressed in RB, QB, both lines and depth through recruiting, active Juco and Grad Transfer approach and walk on program. These are new to Texas and exciting. However it does take a little time to realize the full effects.
- To suggest we are wasting Sam’s upper class years is a stretch. Sam is great and we can have great seasons with him at QB and he finally gives us a real QB we have not had in forever. However, I think going forward our QB position is going to be in much greater shape because of the coaching staff and we aren’t going to fall off a cliff when Sam graduates. In fact, some of our future QBs could give us more athleticism at the position with just as good as an arm.

In terms of the fantasy land comment, I expect and really believe that Texas will win several national championships and will have a great stretch run for well over a decade based on Herman’s age and commitment to the school. If not, I would be very disappointed. However, I do feel we don’t overreact to bumps such as this at this at this point which is how I perceived the article.

Ketch, great as always.
I have had a nagging question bothering me for a couple of years - is Lincoln Riley THAT good, or does he have a continuous wealth of players? He seems to do fantastic, especially offensively and QB development - and I wish we had a wizard on the offensive side like him. Thanks as always, and hookem.
To the victors go the spoils. He's on his way to a third consecutive Big 12 title with three different quarterbacks. Can't really begrudge him credit.

Reactions: PaulieD
Baconbeard said:
Well since only like 5 active coaches have won a national title, it’s a pretty easy position to take that any one coach won’t do it.

Understanding in terms of absolutes. Asking a different question, do you think he "can"?
Can?

Potentially, sure.

ADVERTISEMENT