ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The time Eric Bieniemy almost kicked my ass ...)

Yea I’d take that trade if I were the Spurs. Not sure I would like it as a Sixers fan. That 2021 pick is huge.

I've never seen Heat.

3401898489.gif
Shame on you! You should go watch it now!

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
Do yourself a favor and watch Heat when you're on vacation. DeNiro in peak DeNiro mode.

Solid list. For your consideration....

Kevin Kline as Otto in A Fish Called Wanda
Kevin+Kline+A+Fish+Called+Wanda.PNG

Brad Pit as Mickey in Snatch
Mickey-ONeil-Snatch-Brad-Pitt-e.jpg
Mickey off the list is a huge fail

giphy.gif

Also @Ketchum any reason for the aggy cheating question. Not saying they don’t have a good class so far but the star average isn’t amazing and there is a long way to go.

Reactions: reddoor
@Ketchum

I can’t think of another question I’d like to ask Herman, that was a pretty good and salty list -

Heat is a definite must see heist movie, one of Robert DeNiro’s best roles. Also, the one where he teams up with Edward Norton to rob the Canadian customs house is pretty good. Can’t freaking remember the title.

Jeremy Renner in The Town was also pretty good, if you haven’t seen that, it’s worth it.

Last edited:
BUY or SELL: Texas wins 2 out of 3 during the upcoming football season: Oklahoma, TCU, and USC?
(Sell) Can't ... drink ... the ... Kool-Aid.
If the Longhorns don't win 2 of those 3, Herman's seat will be warm.

I'm on fumes heading into this final week before a little vacation.

So much so that I don't have an opening opus for you this week. Don't worry, it's still a billion words. I just didn't have two billion in me. Certainly nothing requiring serious brain activity.

No. 2 - Since I'm basically writing as a delirious person ...

I started wondering what I might ask Tom Herman if I could get him alone in a room and drunk on truth Kool-Aid.

What would I ask if I could eliminate the care that sometimes has to be present when asking a tricky question, so much so that it often waters down the actual question?

Nothing off limits. Just asking away and him telling me what he thinks. The only thing is ... I'm only limited to seven questions. Not eight. Not 10. Seven.

Here's what I came up with.

* On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hate people asking you about your offensive coordinator and if you could set the people asking those questions on fire, would you offer to toss water on them to put the fire out?

* Do you think one of the true freshmen is your real quarterback of the future?

* If you don't win eight games this year, should you be on the hot seat?

* Mack Brown always said he kept a list of potential coaches for his staff always handy every year. Who are your top three candidates to replace Todd Orlando when that day comes?

* What regrets do you have about any decisions you've made since becoming the Texas coach, especially in terms of the way you built your staff?

* Is Texas A&M cheating under Jimbo?

* Do you think a member of your Houston staff tried to sabotage your chances of getting the Texas job?

No. 3 - Three Texas players I'd buy stock in if I could ...
usa_today_10268452.0.jpg

Sam Ehlinger - I went back and watched the Kansas State/Oklahoma games from last year this week to get a reminder of what Ehlinger looked like at his best as a true freshman, since his best work transpired before the calendar flipped to November. He flat out carried the team at home against the Wildcats. It was striking to see how much command he had in that game, considering he didn't always exhibit the same amount of poise and production down the homestretch of his first season. As for the Oklahoma game, you could make the case that he was one of the five best players in that game. It's easy to forget that in a marginally perfect world, he'd be a redshirt freshman instead of a sophomore and his best football should be ahead of him. I wonder if he's being slept on as a potential difference-maker in the Big 12 because if those two performances that I'm referencing had occurred at the end of the season, rather than the middle, the conversation about him this off-season would be quite different.

Malcolm Roach - A year ago, I thought Roach had a legit chance of emerging as the best defensive player in the Big 12 under Todd Orlando. Then, Roach dealt with a turf toe injury in training camp and he just never seemed to truly take off during a time when he played through not being 100 percent. Well, I'm going back to the well in 2018. If he can stay healthy, I think Roach is the potential star on this team that very few people are talking about as a star.

Josh Thompson - Everyone is focused on the kids from the 2018 class, and justifiably so, but don't take your eyes off of the second-year sophomore who was last year's future star in the making. This is a kid with a Sunday ceiling, so get your stock while it's as low as it's ever going to be.

No. 4 - Story-time with Uncle Ketch (the time Eric Bieniemy almost kicked my ass) ...
story-time.png

For those of you that think I run my mouth a little too much, this story is for you.

I'm not quite sure what year this occurred, but I believe it was back in 2003. The setting was the Nike Camp in College Station and this particular year was particularly fascinating because it was the first year that college coaches were allowed to attend the event, which meant that there were out of state college coaches all over the place.

One of the coaches there was UCLA assistant coach Eric Bieniemy, who had previously infamously played and coached for Colorado.

I was especially disgusted by Bieniemy's presence at the camp, given his history at the time, which included a notorious reputation as a questionable character as a player, a ban from the Colorado campus that had to be lifted when he became a coach there and questions about his role in a number of unsavory stories that had emerged from the CU program while he was coaching there.

Keeping it 100, I just didn't believe that Bieniemy should have been a guy that was allowed inside of a college football program and for whatever the reason, I decided I was going to voice my disgust at the event. Standing among a group of reporters (@Suchomel was there), I let my mouth take center stage, as I started offering my thoughts on the charges that he was an ex-gang member, his ban from the CU campus and all of the other mostly sordid stories I had heard.

As I'm going off on my tangent, I looked up at one of the people in the group I was in and I could see it on his face ... good grief ... Bieniemy was standing right behind me. Of all the gin joints in all of the world, he had to be right behind me, didn't he?

Slowly I turned around, and sure enough, Bieniemy was standing behind me.

He didn't speak, but if looks could kill, this one would have earned him another ban from the CU campus.

Not knowing what to say, I just kind of gave him an attempted tough guy look that was dripping with disgust and walked away. Let's be clear, though ... I got away with one. I'm under no delusions that under different circumstances, I would not have walked away without a blemish.

It's the only day I've ever been on the clock as a media member when I can say with certainty that I was lucky not to come away with an ass-kicking.

For those wondering, Bieniemy is the new offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.
i

No. 5 – Down year for Big 12 Basketball in 2019 ...

The guys over at DraftExpress released their early 2019 NBA Mock Draft over the weekend and it was hard not to notice that the Big 12 lacks some star power going into next season.

The only names from the Big 12 projected to be first round picks in 12 months?

Kansas freshman guard Quentin Grimes (No. 6 overall), Texas Tech sophomore guard Jarrett Culver (No. 21 overall) and Iowa State sophomore guard Lindell Wigginton.

Texas guard Kerwin Roach is projected as a second-round pick (No. 37 overall)

No. 6 – Buy or Sell …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: The Texas football offense national ranking (whatever ranking you prefer) increases 20+ spots from last year?

(Buy) Yeah, pick whichever one you want. I think that's a fair level of expectation and if it doesn’t happen ... woof.

BUY or SELL: Man for man, Texas football can compete with every team on its schedule?

(Buy) Competing is a pretty low bar, though, no?

BUY or SELL: OBs will be full of 10+ win predictions by August?

(Buy) The silly season is truly here. Be prepared to be shouted down if you issue reasons for pause. Ain't nobody want to see or hear that.

BUY or SELL: Coach Giles, despite some sentiment on this board, knows how to recruit as evidenced in part by last year’s class?

(Buy) Of course, Giles knows how to recruit. His resume in that department strongly suggests that he's not incapable, but he is not a top-level recruiter. Typically, an assistant is either a good coach or a good recruiter, but not always both. The guys that can do both are worth their weight in gold and move up the ladder of success quickly. I look at Giles as a very good football coach.

BUY or SELL: 2020 looks to be a strong year for RB but Texas can’t wait that long for a stud running back. It’s imperative we land Trey Sanders or Noah Cain this year?

(Buy) It's actually imperative that Keontay Ingram be really good. The sense of urgency needs to exist now, before 2020.

BUY or SELL: If Tom Herman was to become the play caller for the season prior to the first game against Maryland, you would raise your season forecast by at least 0.5 games?

(Buy) I would view Herman calling plays as a significant upgrade in that area of the game. No offense to Tim Beck, but if he was as good at Herman, he'd be a head coach right now.

BUY or SELL: By the time Ehlinger is done with his eligibility, he will be a top 10 all-time quarterback at Texas?

(Buy) What the hell. Yes, I'll go out on a limb and say that when his career is over, he'll be rated higher than Chance Mock.

BUY or SELL: Texas wins 2 out of 3 during the upcoming football season: Oklahoma, TCU, and USC?

BUY or SELL: With the new redshirt rule, every true freshman safety and one freshman QB will play at some point this season?

(Buy) Why not?

BUY or SELL: Kawhi becomes a Sixer?

(Buy) The decisions the Sixers made on draft night told me they are about to come strong with a package. Moving him out East and to someone with a Spurs pedigree makes a lot of sense. I think we're going to see a trade that looks something like this:

Sixers receive Kawhi Leonard

Spurs receiver: Robert Covington, Markelle Fultz, Zhaire Smith, the 2021 Miami first round pick and maybe another first round pick.

That gives them a very good wing starter on a great contract, last year's overall No. 1, a poor man's Leonard starter-kit and a potential mega-watt non-protected pick in a draft that might include high school kids.

No. 7 - A Few Things on the World Cup ...

I. The depth of the true low that was created when the USA failed to qualify for the World Cup was hammered home in England's 6-1 win over Panama. Say what you want about Panama because they were dreadful on Sunday morning, but that dreadful team qualified for the World Cup because it finished AHEAD of the Americans. Absolutely embarrassing.

II. I have a feeling that the entire world is going to regret Sweden not being able to step on Germany's throat. That was an urgent team over the weekend. Tony Kroos FTMFW!
00b15284-22f5-4c23-9015-eba3db3438ff.gif

III. England/Belgium for the No. 1 spot in its group has a chance to be a Premier League all-star game that could be a hell of a lot of fun, but will both teams rest a few players with the knowledge that being the No. 2 team in the group might be the best recipe for future advancement?

IV. Romelu Lukaku has been brilliant in the first two games, but being brilliant against the Sunderlands and Crystal Palaces of the world has never been an issue with him. He has a chance to completely rewrite the career narrative in the next couple of weeks.

V. Man, Poland sucks. One of my best predictions before the start of the World Cup was my pick of them not getting out of the group stage.

VI. I want Liverpool to sign Chucky Lozano.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... If Jameis Winston was the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, I think I'd be off the boat forever. I just couldn't cheer for a team with him at quarterback. I pity Tampa Bay fans.

... One way or another, the Lakers are about to be the No. 2 team in the Western Conference. You can see it coming a mile away.

... The Astros have a +169 run differential as they approach the midway point in the season, which is a spectacular +57 compared to the second-best team (Boston is +112).

... I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to think about this:

No. 9 - The List: Best Movie Heist Characters ...

Went to the movies this weekend to see Ocean's Eight with my wife (solid 3 out of 5 stars) and thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Below is my own personal list of the best Movie Heist Characters of all-time, based only on movies that I have actually seen. My only rule is that the character involved has to be the criminal and not a law enforcement character (Bruce Willis in Die Hard), although law enforcement characters who help commit crimes are eligible (Keanu Reeves in Point Break).

Let's not waste any more time.

10. Dalton (Clive Owen) in Inside Man

I don't know how many lists other than my own this character would make, but I have a secret crush on this movie and stop to watch it whenever it's on. Special points for calling his shot on walking out of the bank like a baller and then slipping Denzel Washington's character one of the Nazi diamonds.

9. Fred Fenster (Benicio Del Toro) in The Usual Suspects
benicio_del_toro.0.gif

I can't understand what the hell he's saying most of the time, but that's part of the charm. Del Toro's breakout role.

8. Willie (Billy Bob Thornton) in Bad Santa

Super guilty pleasure. I laugh at all of his terrible moments.

7. Bodhi (Patrick Swayze) in Point Break

I wouldn't put Point Break in a top 10 Heist Movies list, but Bodhi makes the cut as one of the best characters of the genre.

6. Mr. Blonde (Michael Madson) in Reservoir Dogs

"Stuck in the Middle With You" has never been the same song.

4T Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) and Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) in The Sting

I probably spent an hour on Sunday trying to decide between the two performances and I just couldn't make a determination.

3. Sonny (Al Pacino) in Dog Day Afternoon
giphy.gif

In a career of producing emphatic characters performance, this might actually be the most underrated performance of his career.

2. Keyser Söze (Kevin Spacey) in The Usual Suspects

Initially, I thought he would finish in the top spot, but then I got to thinking...

1. Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) in Die Hard

And it's not even close.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kinds words of encouragement following the loss of our beloved Spanky this past week. It actually helped the healing process by writing/talking about it.

In a last pouring out of a 40 for the little guy, I thought I'd end the column with something we can all smile about.

Meet Zsa Zsa the English Bulldog, the 2018 winner of World's Ugliest Dog
DgecJ45UcAA22cu.jpg
How can you leave out Cary Grant in "To Catch a Thief" or Denzel Washington in "American Gangster" of anyone from "Ocean's Eleven" new version ? And maybe the number one left out could be Bogart when he starred with Ingrid Bergman ??

* Do you think a member of your Houston staff tried to sabotage your chances of getting theTexas job?

So...are you trying to say here that applwhite was "the one"??

I just want to hear how he would reply.
LOL. I don’t buy it.

No reporter worth his salt asks a question like that just to get a reaction. You aren’t the “do you still beat your wife” type of reporter.

Take a look at the average star ranking. They've loaded up in lots of quantity. 3.39 compared to Texas at 3.7 on rivals. Haven't yet clicked on 247 rankings....

Just did. An 89ish avg compared to Texas 92ish only behind Bama and UGA. Having said that Jimbo has done a fine job of recruiting thus far.

Last edited:

I'm on fumes heading into this final week before a little vacation.

So much so that I don't have an opening opus for you this week. Don't worry, it's still a billion words. I just didn't have two billion in me. Certainly nothing requiring serious brain activity.

No. 2 - Since I'm basically writing as a delirious person ...

I started wondering what I might ask Tom Herman if I could get him alone in a room and drunk on truth Kool-Aid.

What would I ask if I could eliminate the care that sometimes has to be present when asking a tricky question, so much so that it often waters down the actual question?

Nothing off limits. Just asking away and him telling me what he thinks. The only thing is ... I'm only limited to seven questions. Not eight. Not 10. Seven.

Here's what I came up with.

* On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hate people asking you about your offensive coordinator and if you could set the people asking those questions on fire, would you offer to toss water on them to put the fire out?

* Do you think one of the true freshmen is your real quarterback of the future?

* If you don't win eight games this year, should you be on the hot seat?

* Mack Brown always said he kept a list of potential coaches for his staff always handy every year. Who are your top three candidates to replace Todd Orlando when that day comes?

* What regrets do you have about any decisions you've made since becoming the Texas coach, especially in terms of the way you built your staff?

* Is Texas A&M cheating under Jimbo?

* Do you think a member of your Houston staff tried to sabotage your chances of getting the Texas job?

No. 3 - Three Texas players I'd buy stock in if I could ...
usa_today_10268452.0.jpg

Sam Ehlinger - I went back and watched the Kansas State/Oklahoma games from last year this week to get a reminder of what Ehlinger looked like at his best as a true freshman, since his best work transpired before the calendar flipped to November. He flat out carried the team at home against the Wildcats. It was striking to see how much command he had in that game, considering he didn't always exhibit the same amount of poise and production down the homestretch of his first season. As for the Oklahoma game, you could make the case that he was one of the five best players in that game. It's easy to forget that in a marginally perfect world, he'd be a redshirt freshman instead of a sophomore and his best football should be ahead of him. I wonder if he's being slept on as a potential difference-maker in the Big 12 because if those two performances that I'm referencing had occurred at the end of the season, rather than the middle, the conversation about him this off-season would be quite different.

Malcolm Roach - A year ago, I thought Roach had a legit chance of emerging as the best defensive player in the Big 12 under Todd Orlando. Then, Roach dealt with a turf toe injury in training camp and he just never seemed to truly take off during a time when he played through not being 100 percent. Well, I'm going back to the well in 2018. If he can stay healthy, I think Roach is the potential star on this team that very few people are talking about as a star.

Josh Thompson - Everyone is focused on the kids from the 2018 class, and justifiably so, but don't take your eyes off of the second-year sophomore who was last year's future star in the making. This is a kid with a Sunday ceiling, so get your stock while it's as low as it's ever going to be.

No. 4 - Story-time with Uncle Ketch (the time Eric Bieniemy almost kicked my ass) ...
story-time.png

For those of you that think I run my mouth a little too much, this story is for you.

I'm not quite sure what year this occurred, but I believe it was back in 2003. The setting was the Nike Camp in College Station and this particular year was particularly fascinating because it was the first year that college coaches were allowed to attend the event, which meant that there were out of state college coaches all over the place.

One of the coaches there was UCLA assistant coach Eric Bieniemy, who had previously infamously played and coached for Colorado.

I was especially disgusted by Bieniemy's presence at the camp, given his history at the time, which included a notorious reputation as a questionable character as a player, a ban from the Colorado campus that had to be lifted when he became a coach there and questions about his role in a number of unsavory stories that had emerged from the CU program while he was coaching there.

Keeping it 100, I just didn't believe that Bieniemy should have been a guy that was allowed inside of a college football program and for whatever the reason, I decided I was going to voice my disgust at the event. Standing among a group of reporters (@Suchomel was there), I let my mouth take center stage, as I started offering my thoughts on the charges that he was an ex-gang member, his ban from the CU campus and all of the other mostly sordid stories I had heard.

As I'm going off on my tangent, I looked up at one of the people in the group I was in and I could see it on his face ... good grief ... Bieniemy was standing right behind me. Of all the gin joints in all of the world, he had to be right behind me, didn't he?

Slowly I turned around, and sure enough, Bieniemy was standing behind me.

He didn't speak, but if looks could kill, this one would have earned him another ban from the CU campus.

Not knowing what to say, I just kind of gave him an attempted tough guy look that was dripping with disgust and walked away. Let's be clear, though ... I got away with one. I'm under no delusions that under different circumstances, I would not have walked away without a blemish.

It's the only day I've ever been on the clock as a media member when I can say with certainty that I was lucky not to come away with an ass-kicking.

For those wondering, Bieniemy is the new offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.
i

No. 5 – Down year for Big 12 Basketball in 2019 ...

The guys over at DraftExpress released their early 2019 NBA Mock Draft over the weekend and it was hard not to notice that the Big 12 lacks some star power going into next season.

The only names from the Big 12 projected to be first round picks in 12 months?

Kansas freshman guard Quentin Grimes (No. 6 overall), Texas Tech sophomore guard Jarrett Culver (No. 21 overall) and Iowa State sophomore guard Lindell Wigginton.

Texas guard Kerwin Roach is projected as a second-round pick (No. 37 overall)

No. 6 – Buy or Sell …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: The Texas football offense national ranking (whatever ranking you prefer) increases 20+ spots from last year?

(Buy) Yeah, pick whichever one you want. I think that's a fair level of expectation and if it doesn’t happen ... woof.

BUY or SELL: Man for man, Texas football can compete with every team on its schedule?

(Buy) Competing is a pretty low bar, though, no?

BUY or SELL: OBs will be full of 10+ win predictions by August?

(Buy) The silly season is truly here. Be prepared to be shouted down if you issue reasons for pause. Ain't nobody want to see or hear that.

BUY or SELL: Coach Giles, despite some sentiment on this board, knows how to recruit as evidenced in part by last year’s class?

(Buy) Of course, Giles knows how to recruit. His resume in that department strongly suggests that he's not incapable, but he is not a top-level recruiter. Typically, an assistant is either a good coach or a good recruiter, but not always both. The guys that can do both are worth their weight in gold and move up the ladder of success quickly. I look at Giles as a very good football coach.

BUY or SELL: 2020 looks to be a strong year for RB but Texas can’t wait that long for a stud running back. It’s imperative we land Trey Sanders or Noah Cain this year?

(Buy) It's actually imperative that Keontay Ingram be really good. The sense of urgency needs to exist now, before 2020.

BUY or SELL: If Tom Herman was to become the play caller for the season prior to the first game against Maryland, you would raise your season forecast by at least 0.5 games?

(Buy) I would view Herman calling plays as a significant upgrade in that area of the game. No offense to Tim Beck, but if he was as good at Herman, he'd be a head coach right now.

BUY or SELL: By the time Ehlinger is done with his eligibility, he will be a top 10 all-time quarterback at Texas?

(Buy) What the hell. Yes, I'll go out on a limb and say that when his career is over, he'll be rated higher than Chance Mock.

BUY or SELL: With the new redshirt rule, every true freshman safety and one freshman QB will play at some point this season?

(Buy) Why not?

BUY or SELL: Kawhi becomes a Sixer?

(Buy) The decisions the Sixers made on draft night told me they are about to come strong with a package. Moving him out East and to someone with a Spurs pedigree makes a lot of sense. I think we're going to see a trade that looks something like this:

Sixers receive Kawhi Leonard

Spurs receiver: Robert Covington, Markelle Fultz, Zhaire Smith, the 2021 Miami first round pick and maybe another first round pick.

That gives them a very good wing starter on a great contract, last year's overall No. 1, a poor man's Leonard starter-kit and a potential mega-watt non-protected pick in a draft that might include high school kids.

No. 7 - A Few Things on the World Cup ...

I. The depth of the true low that was created when the USA failed to qualify for the World Cup was hammered home in England's 6-1 win over Panama. Say what you want about Panama because they were dreadful on Sunday morning, but that dreadful team qualified for the World Cup because it finished AHEAD of the Americans. Absolutely embarrassing.

II. I have a feeling that the entire world is going to regret Sweden not being able to step on Germany's throat. That was an urgent team over the weekend. Tony Kroos FTMFW!
00b15284-22f5-4c23-9015-eba3db3438ff.gif

III. England/Belgium for the No. 1 spot in its group has a chance to be a Premier League all-star game that could be a hell of a lot of fun, but will both teams rest a few players with the knowledge that being the No. 2 team in the group might be the best recipe for future advancement?

IV. Romelu Lukaku has been brilliant in the first two games, but being brilliant against the Sunderlands and Crystal Palaces of the world has never been an issue with him. He has a chance to completely rewrite the career narrative in the next couple of weeks.

V. Man, Poland sucks. One of my best predictions before the start of the World Cup was my pick of them not getting out of the group stage.

VI. I want Liverpool to sign Chucky Lozano.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... If Jameis Winston was the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, I think I'd be off the boat forever. I just couldn't cheer for a team with him at quarterback. I pity Tampa Bay fans.

... One way or another, the Lakers are about to be the No. 2 team in the Western Conference. You can see it coming a mile away.

... The Astros have a +169 run differential as they approach the midway point in the season, which is a spectacular +57 compared to the second-best team (Boston is +112).

... I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to think about this:

No. 9 - The List: Best Movie Heist Characters ...

Went to the movies this weekend to see Ocean's Eight with my wife (solid 3 out of 5 stars) and thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Below is my own personal list of the best Movie Heist Characters of all-time, based only on movies that I have actually seen. My only rule is that the character involved has to be the criminal and not a law enforcement character (Bruce Willis in Die Hard), although law enforcement characters who help commit crimes are eligible (Keanu Reeves in Point Break).

Let's not waste any more time.

10. Dalton (Clive Owen) in Inside Man

I don't know how many lists other than my own this character would make, but I have a secret crush on this movie and stop to watch it whenever it's on. Special points for calling his shot on walking out of the bank like a baller and then slipping Denzel Washington's character one of the Nazi diamonds.

9. Fred Fenster (Benicio Del Toro) in The Usual Suspects
benicio_del_toro.0.gif

I can't understand what the hell he's saying most of the time, but that's part of the charm. Del Toro's breakout role.

8. Willie (Billy Bob Thornton) in Bad Santa

Super guilty pleasure. I laugh at all of his terrible moments.

7. Bodhi (Patrick Swayze) in Point Break

I wouldn't put Point Break in a top 10 Heist Movies list, but Bodhi makes the cut as one of the best characters of the genre.

6. Mr. Blonde (Michael Madson) in Reservoir Dogs

"Stuck in the Middle With You" has never been the same song.

4T Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) and Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) in The Sting

I probably spent an hour on Sunday trying to decide between the two performances and I just couldn't make a determination.

3. Sonny (Al Pacino) in Dog Day Afternoon
giphy.gif

In a career of producing emphatic characters performance, this might actually be the most underrated performance of his career.

2. Keyser Söze (Kevin Spacey) in The Usual Suspects

Initially, I thought he would finish in the top spot, but then I got to thinking...

1. Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) in Die Hard

And it's not even close.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kinds words of encouragement following the loss of our beloved Spanky this past week. It actually helped the healing process by writing/talking about it.

In a last pouring out of a 40 for the little guy, I thought I'd end the column with something we can all smile about.

Meet Zsa Zsa the English Bulldog, the 2018 winner of World's Ugliest Dog
DgecJ45UcAA22cu.jpg

Ketch,
It seems you have always been able, at least in print, to take the high road and realize that you are viewed by most on here as the easy going big brother that always gets dumped on by his siblings. Having said that, you remain the rudder, the plumb and have done an admirable job charting the course of this company. When, on occasion you become vulnerable, it should stand to remind you and all of us that we are truly a fun, passionate, extremely dysfunctional family that will have your back. My condolences on your loss.
My prayer is that you make sure that you either get someone to introduce you to Jesus, or you just get alone and find for yourself that He is real. This way you’ll find not only eternal joy and happiness, but you will also have a buddy waiting on you up there when it’s your time.
Good article. We care buddy.

I may have missed it, but where do you rank Mock in regards to other Texas qb’s? Other than the Tech game what great moments did he have?
He has the third best career rating of anyone in school history with a minimum of 200 passing attempts.

- You should ask Herman what his OB handle is ;)

- Buying stock in Ehlinger isn't a bad investment. We just need to see if it pays off this year or next season.

- Are you going to ban anybody with a 10-win prediction?

- Kawhi to the Sixers is a good bet.

- Queen Latifah from Set if Off should be in your heist movie category. If not her, Jada Pinkett Smith.
a. Good question.

b. That "or next season" is a big rub huh?

c. No bans, just head shakes.

d. I agree.

e. I need to see it. Saw the old trailer at the Draft House.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT