ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The times are a-changin')

giphy.gif

Angry Black And White GIF by BLoafX

• Haha
Reactions: King Jaffe Joffer
The Mannings aren’t like any other family in this matter. They know the importance of piling up experience in CFB. If they feel Arch is better served spending a 4th year in CFB to get a third year as a starter under his belt then they will. Regardless of draft projection after year 3.
Honestly, I read your post and thought "Thats bullshit, if he is a top 10 pick, he'd go."

Then I thought about it for a minute. Gotta figure he'll be making good money from NIL. In 2 years, I could see his NIL money breaking 8 figures (i.e. north of $10milly). Kids are getting low 7 figures today. That is up significantly from last year. It'll only grow.

Its not that he would need the money in the NFL.

I think you're right Rlong68. The family would view it as setting up success/legacy in the NFL and later in life.

A big factor might be who has the top picks in a given year, and what the family thinks of those teams. Cle has the top pick?! I could very easily see Arch deciding he needs another year in college.

There have been a lot of rumors of the family getting involved with an NFL team (ownership, front office), if Arch blows up, I wonder if we'll see Peyton or ELI land in a front office, as a way to try and land Arch?

Eli forced his way to the Giants from the Chargers. That was 20 years ago. I could easily see them doing something similiar with Arch.

Once you pick a team, it's your team for life.

I think those are the rules.
There are grounds for changing it.

This might actually be a good thread topic.

Grounds for changing:
#1 - Your team moves cities.

#2 - Your team management does something really terrible - like the Redskins with their me-too level shenanigan's.

#3 - Your kids picks a different team, and your team is and has been terrible for years, and you want to bond with your kid, but only after several years of trying to get your kid onto your team's bandwagon.

Does not qualify:
- Your team sucks but there is no "qualifying circumstances" like #3 above
- Your team sucks, and a hot chick likes another team, even if you marry said hot chick.
-Your college team's star player gets drafted by someone other than your NFL team.
-#3 doesn't work if you have multiple kids and one of the dipshits actually picks your crappy team, while the smart ones pick a good team.

There are grounds for changing it.

This might actually be a good thread topic.

Grounds for changing:
#1 - Your team moves cities.

#2 - Your team management does something really terrible - like the Redskins with their me-too level shenanigan's.

#3 - Your kids picks a different team, and your team is and has been terrible for years, and you want to bond with your kid, but only after several years of trying to get your kid onto your team's bandwagon.

Does not qualify:
- Your team sucks but there is no "qualifying circumstances" like #3 above
- Your team sucks, and a hot chick likes another team, even if you marry said hot chick.
-Your college team's star player gets drafted by someone other than your NFL team.
My son doesn't give a damn about football yet. I might be shit out of luck.

So as a Cowboy fan, you are preparing for the worst? Don’t worry. As a Cowboy fan living in Houston, you are the worst! BTW nice column.

My NFL rooting interests are entirely driven by Longhorns on a given team.
I feel like that is a different situation.

If you simply "follow" and NFL team because you're a fan of Tucker or Dicker, or Poona, and enjoy watching them and seeing them succeed...that is one thing. And I respect that. I do the same thing. I enjoy seeing Longhorns succeed in the NFL. Just not at the expense of the Cowboys.

It's another if your closet is full of Dak, Aikman, Emmett, and Staubach jerseys, and your man cave is covered in their posters and signed swag.

Then, Bijan gets drafted by the Eagles, and the next day you're loaded up with Cunningham and Reggie White swag like you've been a fan of the Eagles your whole life----I'm gonna call bullshit.

OU has really had a VERY good offseason with both recruiting and the portal. Rumors of their demise are greatly exaggerated. TCU did a very nice job with the Portal as well. There will likely be another team with 2-3 conference game losses in championship game next year again. Hopefully, Hill is a naturally instinctive LB like DJ was as a freshman and not just a physical specimen. If the D can be just slightly better with the expected growth of the QB and offense, Texas should be favored in every game except Bama just as they were this year. The losses like the Tech and OSU games MUST stop next year or Sark will be fighting for his job in year 1 of SEC play.

While it's going to make just about every game much more stressful and impactful, I am so looking forward to the expanded playoff.

My thoughts on Chris Jackson to WR coach are mixed with a lean toward thumbs down. While he seems like an elite up and comer with that NFL experience that recruits are looking for, I also wonder (i.e., am skeptical) about bringing in an unproven and not just INexperienced, but an UNexperienced recruiter with no ties to Texas. If he turns out to be an elite developer of talent with a personality to keep divas in line, that, plus NIL, may equate to plus recruiting, perhaps while he develops in-person recruiting chops. Samples, I think, represents the "safer" choice of near elite development with plus to elite recruiting, both with the track record we can see on paper. In Jackson's favor, I do respect a discovery the young, undiscovered diamond that comes in and blows everyone away (should that be the case). It's a tough one, but I have absolutely no input, so In Sark I Trust.

I was really happy to see Ford come back. I'm hoping that Ant Hill lives up to his hype and those two become the best LB tandem that Texas has ever seen, even in Hills true freshman year. Over the weekend, I saw a hype video of Derrick Johnson. It made me wonder why aren't our LBs taught to punch at the ball like DJ was legend for. That hype video must has shown at least 10 tackles where he punched the ball out. It was beautiful.

In my bones, I feel like Texas has, at least on paper, a high probability to play in and win the Big 12 next year, regardless of who ends up as QB1 (here, I'll repeat what has become my tag line - don't sleep on Maalik). Our young OL will be that much more seasoned and will have a little depth finally. If there are no sophomore stumbles or injuries (knock-wood), it should give QB1, Brooks, Baxter, and Robinson a solid and dependable plus wall. On top of that, in 2024, that OL should be young, elite, and a monster. If some of the young defensive talent we have develops into plus or elite players, I would go out on a limb and say Texas has a good chance to pull an elite generational twofer - winning the Big 12 championship the first year in and of the league and winning the SEC its first year in the league. If Arch is as good as the hype and has developed into QB1 in 2024, with what should be the most monster OL in the country, and if our defense is just a preponderance of a plus-D, I think our best chances for SEC championship and (whisper) national championship will be the 2024 and 2025 seasons. Mark it down here.

Finally, I watched The Banshees of Inisherin this weekend. Great movie! A very Irish movie, with the beautiful, expansive landscapes, somber Irish folk music, dark humor, great character development each with their own level of depression/difficulty, and oh so well acted. I would definitely rank it among the top movies of the year. BUT, I am still sticking with Puss In Boots: The Last Wish, as my No. 1 movie of the year, with Maverick in the No. 2 spot. I re-watched both Maverick and Puss In Boots this weekend too (Puss In Boots, actually 2 times - my 4 year old also loves the movie), to confirm my rankings. Even having watched it now maybe 7-10 times, it still makes me laugh, cry, and feel great/hopeful at the end of the movie.

Reactions: HkmTxsLnghrns
I feel like that is a different situation.

If you simply "follow" and NFL team because you're a fan of Tucker or Dicker, or Poona, and enjoy watching them and seeing them succeed...that is one thing. And I respect that. I do the same thing. I enjoy seeing Longhorns succeed in the NFL. Just not at the expense of the Cowboys.

It's another if your closet is full of Dak, Aikman, Emmett, and Staubach jerseys, and your man cave is covered in their posters and signed swag.

Then, Bijan gets drafted by the Eagles, and the next day you're loaded up with Cunningham and Reggie White swag like you've been a fan of the Eagles your whole life----I'm gonna call bullshit.
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

While it's going to make just about every game much more stressful and impactful, I am so looking forward to the expanded playoff.

My thoughts on Chris Jackson to WR coach are mixed with a lean toward thumbs down. While he seems like an elite up and comer with that NFL experience that recruits are looking for, I also wonder (i.e., am skeptical) about bringing in an unproven and not just INexperienced, but an UNexperienced recruiter with no ties to Texas. If he turns out to be an elite developer of talent with a personality to keep divas in line, that, plus NIL, may equate to plus recruiting, perhaps while he develops in-person recruiting chops. Samples, I think, represents the "safer" choice of near elite development with plus to elite recruiting, both with the track record we can see on paper. In Jackson's favor, I do respect a discovery the young, undiscovered diamond that comes in and blows everyone away (should that be the case). It's a tough one, but I have absolutely no input, so In Sark I Trust.

I was really happy to see Ford come back. I'm hoping that Ant Hill lives up to his hype and those two become the best LB tandem that Texas has ever seen, even in Hills true freshman year. Over the weekend, I saw a hype video of Derrick Johnson. It made me wonder why aren't our LBs taught to punch at the ball like DJ was legend for. That hype video must has shown at least 10 tackles where he punched the ball out. It was beautiful.

In my bones, I feel like Texas has, at least on paper, a high probability to play in and win the Big 12 next year, regardless of who ends up as QB1 (here, I'll repeat what has become my tag line - don't sleep on Maalik). Our young OL will be that much more seasoned and will have a little depth finally. If there are no sophomore stumbles or injuries (knock-wood), it should give QB1, Brooks, Baxter, and Robinson a solid and dependable plus wall. On top of that, in 2024, that OL should be young, elite, and a monster. If some of the young defensive talent we have develops into plus or elite players, I would go out on a limb and say Texas has a good chance to pull an elite generational twofer - winning the Big 12 championship the first year in and of the league and winning the SEC its first year in the league. If Arch is as good as the hype and has developed into QB1 in 2024, with what should be the most monster OL in the country, and if our defense is just a preponderance of a plus-D, I think our best chances for SEC championship and (whisper) national championship will be the 2024 and 2025 seasons. Mark it down here.

Finally, I watched The Banshees of Inisherin this weekend. Great movie! A very Irish movie, with the beautiful, expansive landscapes, somber Irish folk music, dark humor, great character development each with their own level of depression/difficulty, and oh so well acted. I would definitely rank it among the top movies of the year. BUT, I am still sticking with Puss In Boots: The Last Wish, as my No. 1 movie of the year, with Maverick in the No. 2 spot. I re-watched both Maverick and Puss In Boots this weekend too (Puss In Boots, actually 2 times - my 4 year old also loves the movie), to confirm my rankings. Even having watched it now maybe 7-10 times, it still makes me laugh, cry, and feel great/hopeful at the end of the movie.
My kids love the Puss in Boots. Same with the wife.

Banshees is a great freaking movie.

Excellent overall post!

• Love
Reactions: wchi
do you know if he ever feels conflicted?
Yeah, he does feel comflicted. He hates they left but so far it's still his team.

Similarly I still rooted for the Oilers for awhile after they left Houston but over time that wore off and I dont even consider the Titans my former team anymore

Has it always been that way? Did you give up on a team?
I grew up in Houston and loved the Earl era Oilers. When they moved, I didn’t really keep up with the Titans. As a kid, I also loved Staubach and Landry. Now I live in Dallas and am just north of neutral with Cowboys. Prefer they win but not that big of a deal.

Yeah, he does feel comflicted. He hates they left but so far it's still his team.

Similarly I still rooted for the Oilers for awhile after they left Houston but over time that wore off and I dont even consider the Titans my former team anymore
I need Jerry to move the team to Houston.

That would release me, I think.

I grew up in Houston and loved the Earl era Oilers. When they moved, I didn’t really keep up with the Titans. As a kid, I also loved Staubach and Landry. Now I live in Dallas and am just north of neutral with Cowboys. Prefer they win but not that big of a deal.

Sounds like a stress-free world you live in. ;)

good question. There can't be many. competing with Texas.
I would think California and Florida could give Texas a run.

California with OJ, Marcus Allen, Bush and Ricky

Florida with Emmitt, Derrick Henry, Frank Gore, Fred Taylor

...Moving forward, No. 12 UCLA losing to an unranked Arizona in November is a pretty massive deal. Same with No. 16 NC State losing to Boston College. Can you believe the hoopla that would surround No. 22 UCF beating No. 17 Tulane and the discussion about the impact such a win might have?
Hell, No. 9 Alabama beating No. 11 Ole Miss would represent the single biggest game of the weekend in such a way that none of the games outside of the TCU/Texas game would have mattered from the games previously receiving all of the focus. With teams like Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan all likely having a get out of jail card by being undefeated at that stage of the season, the collective focus on the season as a whole changes significantly.
Speaking of the match-up between No. 4 TCU and No. 18 Texas, can you imagine how much more weight that game would have carried for a team like the Longhorns, who would surely have playoff dreams entering that point of the season by only being a few spots away from No. 12?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Dal_Horn
As a kid I was a die hard Cowboys and Oilers fan (yes I loved both). My dad loved The Boys and decorated my room silver and blue but I've always loved my hometown Houston teams as well especially the Luv Ya Blue Earl/Bum era Oilers.

Even today I have a Tony Dorsette and an Earl Campbell jersey my two favorite players as a kid.

I never stopped rooting for the Boys but with the Oilers the move hurt, it left a hole in the city the Texans haven't and probably can't replace.

Maybe the first couple of years I still followed the Oilers in Tennessee because I liked McNair and Eddie George who both started in Houston. However, over time they changed the name and the colors, they just didn't feel like my team anymore

Consequently I moved out of state some 30 years ago and just never formed a bond with the Texans. Sure I could never root against a team from my hometown but when they lose (and boy do they lose) I just shrug and don't lose any sleep over it

Reactions: The Gnome Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT