ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The true task that awaits Tom Herman...)

My "most depressing movie ever" has to be The Hours. Starts off with a suicide and goes downhill from there. Of course, that doesn't mean it was a bad movie. I have found myself thinking about it years later which means that maybe it was very good movie though not uplifting...
Yeah, I think folks will feel that way about Manchester By The Sea.

Yeah, I think folks will feel that way about Manchester By The Sea.

For depressing movies, don't forget The Piano. After seeing that film, the Mrs. and I decided we needed to watch Schindler's List again to cheer ourselves up.

Reactions: cooleyo
I get multiple questions each week about this team and the playoff.
Well those people are unrealistic. I guess to me it just comes down to i don't think last years team would have been a 5 win team and lost to Kansas under Herman/staff. I'm not expecting a miracle year one but this program struggling to eek out 7-8 wins under a big time coach would be subpar without some circumstances like big injuries.

Starr's not even an NFL quarterback in 2017.
No, and neither are the rest of the men who played 50-60 years ago, because the size, strength, and speed of human beings has changed everything about the game. Hell, there were linebackers and linemen who were not as big as some of the qb's and rb's of today. However, on a relative basis he was one of the very best qb's playing at that time. And, against comparable competition he stood out; and, he outplayed the others well enough to win five nfl championships.

Reactions: DanielSucks
No, and neither are the rest of the men who played 50-60 years ago, because the size, strength, and speed of human beings has changed everything about the game. Hell, there were linebackers and linemen who were not as big as some of the qb's and rb's of today. However, on a relative basis he was one of the very best qb's playing at that time. And, against comparable competition he stood out; and, he outplayed the others well enough to win five nfl championships.

Well said. That's what I was trying to get at.

Not sure where the Jarrett Allen draftexpress number is coming from. Last update was from last week and Allen is projected for the '18 draft at #13. Nothing in '17. Not saying he's not rising back.

The culture in this program has been an issue for seven seasons. 2016 didn't happen overnight.
I think all the attacks are because of your avatar. Change back to previous one.

Just kidding of course. Keep up good work, my son. o_O

Interesting thoughts on Bamba. Hard to believe he wasn't watching on Saturday.

Bolden can't get off the bench at Duke because he's apparently lazy. If Bamba's wired mentally from the neck up and he appears to be, then he won't have any problem playing at Duke next season.

Hard to believe we're getting ready for an all-time great Super Bowl when this has been one of the worst series of playoff games ever.

Reactions: PaulieD
Starr wasn't good enough to even be mentioned in same sentence, other than being a Packers player.

The requirements of the position are light years different.

The Falcons offensive personnel is pretty scary.
Faclons offense is very impressive with crazy skill position overall, but let's not forget who they played against the last couple games at HOME. one of the worst pass defenses you will ever see in GB (31st against in yardage) and a Seattle defense who is much weaker on the road and without what i would argue is the glue of their secondary in Thomas (to the point they excluding the Rams and SF, they gave up an average of 279 yards a game passing on the road (i know you can't exclude teams in reality, but for reference, that ypg is more than the worst pass D overall)). I'd be surprised if a Bellichick D that has been pretty good overall and just throttled Pitt gave up 34 to Atlanta. of course, i was at the super bowl where an over confident pats team gave up 29 to to Jake Delhomme.

Fully expect a boring SB. Atlanta's offense will get seriously stymied by Belichek. Brady will be treating this like any other game. Ryan will be nervous as hell and likely make mistakes. Not expecting much at all.

Faclons offense is very impressive with crazy skill position overall, but let's not forget who they played against the last couple games at HOME. one of the worst pass defenses you will ever see in GB (31st against in yardage) and a Seattle defense who is much weaker on the road and without what i would argue is the glue of their secondary in Thomas (to the point they excluding the Rams and SF, they gave up an average of 279 yards a game passing on the road (i know you can't exclude teams in reality, but for reference, that ypg is more than the worst pass D overall)). I'd be surprised if a Bellichick D that has been pretty good overall and just throttled Pitt gave up 34 to Atlanta. of course, i was at the super bowl where an over confident pats team gave up 29 to to Jake Delhomme.
Can they take Julio out of the game?

Fully expect a boring SB. Atlanta's offense will get seriously stymied by Belichek. Brady will be treating this like any other game. Ryan will be nervous as hell and likely make mistakes. Not expecting much at all.
debbie+downer.png

There should be a rule against "one and done" if your team had a losing record. Just kidding obviously, but the whole one and done thing has dramatically reduced my interest in college basketball. Why even bother recruiting kids that expected to stay just one year? It makes no sense to build a team around them and have to restart each year.

I always felt this way about the year KD was at UT. Really what was the point? We all watched KD ball hog and throw up a gazillion shots. And yes, when he was hot, we won a few games we shouldn't have and it felt good in those moments. But no other players developed ... you know the ones that were going to hang around the next few years trying to win. They mainly stood around watching a one man highlight reel like the rest of us. And the team was obviously going nowhere in the tournament. It just seems like we all blew off an entire year of doing a sport the right way just so we could watch some highlight reel play - kind of like watching an NBA All Star Game.
I feel exactly as you do regarding the one and done thing, but a lot of it is timing. If Kevin Durant's "year" had been the one before his actual year, Texas might have won the NCAA. It was in overtime to go to the final four as it was. And I think we made the final 8 the year after Durant. But we just weren't as good during the year he was here.

Starr wasn't good enough to even be mentioned in same sentence, other than being a Packers player.

The requirements of the position are light years different.
Man, I disagree with you on Starr, assuming you take him and give him modern training, nutrition, being coached in the current systems, etc...Obviously you can't take Bart from 1966 and Marty McFly him 50 years to 2016 and expect he would play. I doubt if Bob Lilly from 1966 could play today, because of course he would weigh between 240 and 260 at defensive tackle.

But I don't think that means you say that QB X, Y, or Z of today is better than Bart Starr. Would QB X, Y, or Z be as good if he were born in 1936 as he is right now having been born in 1987?

I will give you this point, however. A Bart type QB today would need commensurate talent as he had in the 1960's around him to win Super Bowls.

Reactions: DanielSucks
Man, I disagree with you on Starr, assuming you take him and give him modern training, nutrition, being coached in the current systems, etc...Obviously you can't take Bart from 1966 and Marty McFly him 50 years to 2016 and expect he would play. I doubt if Bob Lilly from 1966 could play today, because of course he would weigh between 240 and 260 at defensive tackle. But I don't think that means you say that QB X, Y, or Z of today is better than Bart Starr. Would QB X, Y, or Z be as good if he were born in 1936 as he is right now having been born in 1987?

I will give you this point, however. A Bart type QB today would need commensurate talent as he had in the 1960's around him to win Super Bowls.
It's just a different game with respect to the quarterback position. The game is much more complicated and the level of chaos that quarterbacks deal with in terms of opposing defenses is night and day. It's chess vs. checkers.

It's just a different game with respect to the quarterback position. The game is much more complicated and the level of chaos that quarterbacks deal with in terms of opposing defenses is night and day. It's chess vs. checkers.
Ok, but I think Bart Starr could handle the complications of today's game if he had come up in the systems of today's game, like the quarterbacks you say he isn't as good as. And I think those quarterbacks have the same problems you are saying Bart would have.

Like a guy who catches 90 passes a year in today's offenses could be called better than Bob Hayes, who might catch 40 passes in a good year. I just don't necessarily buy it.

Ok, but I think Bart Starr could handle the complications of today's game if he had come up in the systems of today's game, like the quarterbacks you say he isn't as good as. And I think those quarterbacks have the same problems you are saying Bart would have.

Like a guy who catches 90 passes a year in today's offenses could be called better than Bob Hayes, who might catch 40 passes in a good year. I just don't necessarily buy it.
we'll just have to agree to disagree.

who you got in mind?
I totally get your point that no national headliners might be available but the Bleacher Report picks up: Kyle Allen (obvious), Cooper Bateman and David Cornwell (Alabama), Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston), Anu Solomon (Arizona), Thomas Sirk (Duke), Shane Morris (Michigan) and Max Browne (USC). I haven't really followed any of them and am not sure if they are true competition for Buechele or not but I can also turn the question around: if Buechele sinks against USC who does Herman turn to on the bench without gulping?

I totally get your point that no national headliners might be available but the Bleacher Report picks up: Kyle Allen (obvious), Cooper Bateman and David Cornwell (Alabama), Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston), Anu Solomon (Arizona), Thomas Sirk (Duke), Shane Morris (Michigan) and Max Browne (USC). I haven't really followed any of them and am not sure if they are true competition for Buechele or not but I can also turn the question around: if Buechele sinks against USC who does Herman turn to on the bench without gulping?
Ehlinger.

None of those other guys jump out at me, but if one would come, I would certainly consider it.

a. Personally, I think 8 wins is a huge step forward and would set the table in 2018 when he has a senior class worth a damn.

b. He makes every linebacker in the program better because of the fear of his arrival.

c. I think Klopp almost prefers to have underrated guys that will die on the pitch for him over the best talent. It's why Sturridge can't really find a role. He's got more pure talent than a guy like Firmino, but he won't run his ass ragged every match in terms of work-rate and Klopp won't stand for it.

d. I really need the Lakers to win some games. I'm not worried if that pick is in the 4-7 range.

Interesting thoughts on Bamba. Hard to believe he wasn't watching on Saturday.

Klopp clearly likes that style of guy for sure. I think that's the kind of player the Liverpool fan base identifies with too.

Fultz, Jackson, Ball probably go 1-2-3... but there are superstar talents still waiting after.

Klopp clearly likes that style of guy for sure. I think that's the kind of player the Liverpool fan base identifies with too.

Fultz, Jackson, Ball probably go 1-2-3... but there are superstar talents still waiting after.
My dream is for Sacramento to win the lottery and then we flip the pick on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT