ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The underwhelming-ness of it all...)

Bingo. My biggest fear is that our greatest enemy in this reboot is going to be stubborn arrogance. Love the Herman hire in a macro-sense, but I have a feeling he’s the type of guy who can’t stand to be wrong, and that has the potential to be very dangerous for any team/organization.
Agreed. Sometimes having the smartest guy in the room presents a different set of concerns than normal.

Exactly.

This is my issue. Everyone seems to be dumping the last 8 years of problems at Tom Herman’s feet.

8 years worth of problems and everyone wanted a quick fix despite the fact that this same roster went a blazing 16-21 over three years and got Charlie fired.

They were bad for a reason... and it wasn’t solely the coaching.

How can anybody not see this?
Most people do. It's just that the accumulation of those eight years has made people's patience very thin.

I’d bet Williams is still a first round pick junior film or not.
Name the last time an NFL team used a first round pick on a player whose only game film from his junior year wasn't good.

The question about Williams now is whether he's a bit of a byproduct of the offenses he played in during his first two seasons.

If he's truly healthy and ready to play then it would be nice to have him back, but hopefully we're not rushing him back at the risk of his health for 1 or 2 almost meaningless games (plus maybe a meaningless bowl). I know I'm asking you to essentially speculate, but what's your take on this?
I think Williams wants to play. I just don't like bringing a guy back with the dynamics in place.

Miami is too low at #8. Having seen them live against Virginia Tech, that's a really good team. Notre Dame might get them, but Miami is still better than Wisconsin and probably TCU.
I have my doubts.

Reactions: MATF
I just don't see Conner Williams coming back next year. I also don't think we have a bunch of scrubs. I would certainly like more depth, but Kerstetter, Vahe, Shack, McMillon/Hudson, Okafor/Hudson doesn't sound bad to me with Rodriguez being a versatile swing guy. Let's hope that another guy or two develops a bit, but I'm not too frightened here.
interesting...

Just roll out with the same group, thinking Hudson and Rodriguez up-grade it....

Bold strategy, Cotton.

Tell me where all these 4 stars are on our O line right now? Against TCU, we had a JUCo 2 star at lest tackle, a 4 star LG, a a low 3 center, a concerted d llinemsn at RG, and a 3 star true freshman at RT. This notion that the o line is littered with 4 and 5 stars that are under developed is just not true. It’s full of young players that also weren’t highly ranked. High ranked guys all transferred; D James, Raulerson, Delance
correct. I've written about it quite a bit.

Coaching has made a huge difference on defense. Why do we give the offensive coaching staff a pass (including Herman)?
For the same reasons most fans excused all of Charlie's critical mistakes in his first year.

Asking questions starts to crush the dream a little, like a little kid asking dad about the comments that Judy made at school about Santa Claus.

Miami is too low at #8. Having seen them live against Virginia Tech, that's a really good team. Notre Dame might get them, but Miami is still better than Wisconsin and probably TCU.
I have my doubts.
I did too. The offense needs to eliminate mistakes. The Manny Diaz defense is first rate. They beat VT up. We’ll know more after ND.

Hard Rock Stadium was really loud as well.

Forgive me for the all-caps, but ... IT'S BEEN EIGHT YEARS OF THIS!

Some good points, Ketch, but UT finished 9-4, beat a 14th ranked team in the Alamo Bowl, and finished ranked #18 in the USA Today Coaches Poll in 2012. The 2012 (9-4), and even the 2011 (8-5) seasons were winning seasons with winning bowl performances. Very different from this year and the previous four.

We're really going on five "years of this", if you include this year and 2013, which I do. Horrible finish in 2013 with gutless blowouts against Baylor and Oregon to finish the season.

Coaching has made a huge difference on defense. Why do we give the offensive coaching staff a pass (including Herman)?
For the same reasons most fans excused all of Charlie's critical mistakes in his first year.

Asking questions starts to crush the dream a little, like a little kid asking dad about the comments that Judy made at school about Santa Claus.
Makes sense.
My battered fan syndrome has drained me of all hope. This is the longest period of no success in the history of Texas football.

This season has been a disappointment, but I believe a big part of that was the unrealistic expectations a large portion of the fan base had heading into the season. This program has been crap for years. I still believe Herman was the right hire, but to expect him to completely turn this around in one year just wasn't realistic. That said, this team has been a hell of a lot more competitive than in years past. If the offense had a healthy Connor Williams, Andrew Beck, Elijah Rodriguez, and Patrick Hudson would that be enough for another win or two? Maybe. Injuries have devastated the offense. They lost a 2000 yard rusher to the NFL. They have started a true freshman at tackle, quarterback, tight end, and RB. The defense has played better than any of us could have expected. Finally, I keep reminding myself that Nick Saban went 6-6 his first year at Bama. That included a loss to Louisiana-Monroe.

Haha. Some guys just can't handle it.

No. 10 – And Finally…

Reporter on CNN just said..."this is the largest mass shooting in the United States in...35 days".

interesting...

Just roll out with the same group, thinking Hudson and Rodriguez up-grade it....

Bold strategy, Cotton.
I'm not saying they'll be dominant, but all of these guys will have another year in the system and weight room, plus a bit of playing time. Shack and McMillon will be 3 year starters, Vahe a four year Starter. Kerstetter seems solid. Between Rod, Hudson, and Okafor, they should be able to make something work.

Either we currently have enough talent to play significantly better on offense or we don't. If we do, then there should be a discussion about the performance of Herman vs Beck vs Warehime, etc. If we don't have enough talent, we need to find it before judging the staff. I'm in the camp that says we don't currently have enough talent to play significantly better. So, I'm not judging the coaching, yet. That said, I will be judging their effectiveness in finding talent somewhere quickly, i.e. the junior college ranks. Not sure why my "judgment" matters, but I enjoyed giving my 2 cents.
Problem is, OTHER teams do it with less star players

Reactions: fan49
@JinSOTEX Did your head just explode? Let’s hear your defense of the sideline doctors again.

Herman was quoted after the game saying he has been told Sam was clear from concussion issues but was having an inner ear issue he’s dealing with. Is he lying? As someone that has inner ear problems And taken meds like sam is they aren’t fun.

I’m always going with medical professionals over message board posters every single time though.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
I don't expect there to be changes. The coaches perceive this to be about the players available, not their methods or tactics.
Well, they're wrong. Just one example: Texas is the only team I've seen at any level that cannot execute the flanker screen pass. And typically, can't defend it either. There are many other examples of poor scheme or inability to coach -- all over the offensive side of the field.

ADVERTISEMENT