ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The underwhelming-ness of it all...)

I wonder how much sleep Herman is getting? If I was in his shoes I’d be up all day and night trying to figure out how to not be embarrassed the way he has been since Maryland. This program isn’t even a joke, we’re not even thought of around the country anymore.
Luckily, dumb ass takes like this take up zero thoughts in his head. Embarrassed SINCE Maryland? I have not been embarrassed to watch a single game we have played since Maryland. We compete and with this trash Oline and offensive coordinator it's all you can ask for.

It all starts with the O-Line. Until that improves, we won't do anything offensively. What we have now can hold its own against the middle of the road teams, but gets dominated by the top defensive units.
To be fair, we get dominated against slightly above average units as well. We can only hold our own against the worst defenses in the nation.

Some good points, Ketch, but UT finished 9-4, beat a 14th ranked team in the Alamo Bowl, and finished ranked #18 in the USA Today Coaches Poll in 2012. The 2012 (9-4), and even the 2011 (8-5) seasons were winning seasons with winning bowl performances. Very different from this year and the previous four.

We're really going on five "years of this", if you include this year and 2013, which I do. Horrible finish in 2013 with gutless blowouts against Baylor and Oregon to finish the season.
yeah, those seasons were so much fun...

Didn’t affect Sam Bradford . Sorry but you’ve got this one wrong. You don’t need more film on a top 10 player at line and Williams isn’t risking another injury and then being labeled injury prone.

He’s gone.
Yeah, because you just made an apples to apples comparison.

Williams was not a top 10 pick against Maryland.

He needs to return.

Reactions: MATF
No. 10 – And Finally…

Reporter on CNN just said..."this is the largest mass shooting in the United States in...35 days".
The price we have to pay so that guys can get the AR-15s, amiright?

Reactions: MATF
I'm not saying they'll be dominant, but all of these guys will have another year in the system and weight room, plus a bit of playing time. Shack and McMillon will be 3 year starters, Vahe a four year Starter. Kerstetter seems solid. Between Rod, Hudson, and Okafor, they should be able to make something work.
Giving bad players or average players an extra year does not mean that they'll be better.

We started saying that about those young linemen in 2007 and we've been saying the same thing for 10 years.

Herman was quoted after the game saying he has been told Sam was clear from concussion issues but was having an inner ear issue he’s dealing with. Is he lying? As someone that has inner ear problems And taken meds like sam is they aren’t fun.

I’m always going with medical professionals over message board posters every single time though.
k.

He said he had a set back. He does not have a inner ear infection, like we might get if we get sick.

I will use my last day of my cancelled subscription to say this. It's 9 games!! Saban was 6-6 with a loss to La Monroe his first year at Alabama. Hook 'em and be well.
source.gif

There's no reason to mince words here at the top.

In the first 10 months on the job leading into the season, Tom Herman warranted an A-grade for his performance off the field with respect to his role as CEO of the program. From recruiting to social media presence to high school coaching relationship building to getting facility upgrades in full-swing, Herman knocked it out of the park for the most part.

In the first nine weeks of the actual football season, the performance has been very underwhelming.

How underwhelming?

Well, his teams play hard and with much more effort than Charlie Strong's Island of Misfit Teams, but outside of moral victories and mostly avoiding the big butt-kickings, the Herman impact on the field has been uninspiring. When those in the Texas administration that supported his hire fought for him, the expectation was that his hire would forever eliminate the issues of ugly offensive football that have plagued the program for almost the entirety of this decade.

He was hired to fix it. Period.

It hasn't happened. Far from it, actually.

I'm not making any hyperbolic claims. I'm not ignoring the impact of his off-field accomplishments. All I'm saying is that we're nine weeks into this season, the team is 4-5 and isn't making the kind of strides late in the year that most expected.

It's all been pretty meh.

No. 2 – The elephant in the room ...

Late in the game on Saturday night, moments before TCU scored its final touchdown with an all-too predictable defensive bust after the defense had played so well for 80-percent of the game, a thought flashed in my head that stopped me in my tracks.

It wasn't something that hasn't been discussed before, but for whatever reason it hit me like a ton of bricks as Gary Patterson sucked the life out of the game like a parent that lets the air out of a balloon because they feel like their child has played with that balloon enough.

Forgive me for the all-caps, but ... IT'S BEEN EIGHT YEARS OF THIS!

EIGHT. Eight. eight. 8. 4+4.

The reality of it all just washed over me.

"My God, this thing is approaching a decade. F*** me."

Seconds later, TCU scored to send the final dagger into the heart of Tom Herman's team and I couldn't help but think of all of you, especially those of you that I've known on this site for almost 20 years. If I'm feeling like this, what must all of you be feeling in this exact moment of exasperation?

Suddenly, I started thinking of the quarterbacks in those years ... Garrett Gilbert, Case McCoy, David Ash, Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard, Shane Buechele ... there's been so much false hope at every turn.

It's just been rough to watch and I know it's been tough for you guys to accept.

I don't really have anything profound to add to this, other than to say that I feel you guys and more than anything, I appreciate you being in the Orangebloods family when the very passion that makes everyone sign up in the first place has been battered for far too long of a stretch of time.

Believe me, I appreciate the hell out of you guys, perhaps never more so than on Saturday night.

Good grief ... e-i-g-h-t y-e-a-r-s.

No. 3 – I said it a week ago ...

You can't be too safe when it comes to concussions. I don't care what anyone says, three days of concussion-free symptoms opening the door for a return to football is simply not responsible and I feel emboldened in making the comment after hearing Tom Herman confirm that Sam Ehlinger suffered complications from his concussion issues from the last two weeks AFTER he was cleared to resume football activities.

Count me in the crowd that believes that Ehlinger should be shut down for the rest of the season, so that he can have a full year to get right before testing the waters in another full-contact setting. Let him get right and put him in a position where he can truly put this behind him with some time on his side. The risk just isn't worth the reward in any capacity at this point.

I don't care if the doctors clear him because they've been getting this wrong for decades and they seemingly got it wrong again last week.

No. 4 - One thing I would do if I was Tom Herman ...

Search under every rock and tree in the JUCO scene for more offensive linemen. It won't be easy, but it has to be done because if there's one really concerning thing about the 2018 season, it's the reality that immediate help might not be on the way from the ranks inside the program.

If Connor Williams returns next season as I expect that he will, how many linemen do you feel good about riding with from the current linemen in the program? Two? Three?

Connor Williams, Derek Kerstetter and Patrick Vahe?

Denzel Okafor is a work in progress to say the least. Patrick Hudson is coming off of a major injury. There aren't any other big-time prospects waiting in the wings.

What this program currently has on the books for 2018 with this position isn't good enough.

No. 5 – Three really good things that happened on defense against TCU ...

a. The Malcolm Roach of 2017 looked a lot like the Malcolm Roach of 2016 for maybe the first time this season.

b. Very quietly, Gary Johnson might have had his best extended snaps performance of the season.

c. Antwuan Davis replaced P.J. Locke and no one even noticed.

No. 6 - Gary Patterson delivers the velvet sledgehammer ...

Poor little TCU.

Just a poor little squirrel trying to find an acorn, while owning a 153-33 edge over everyone else's perception in the last four years.

I see you working, Daddy.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
buy_sell.jpg

BUY or SELL: There will be 5 or more de-commitments from the current 2018 class before the first signing date in December?

(Sell) Recruiting is and will be fine for the most part.

BUY or SELL: We have enough offense to outscore Tech and make a bowl game?

(Buy) Tech is garbage. Texas is at least good enough to handle garbage.

BUY or SELL: Beck finishes the year calling plays?

(Buy) Tom Herman does not view Beck as his biggest problem. He's view Beck as a guy that has been dealt terrible circumstances.

BUY or SELL: Off-season attrition will be higher than normal?

(Sell) Normal around here is one of the highest attrition numbers per year of any school in the nation over the last decade.

BUY or SELL: Roschon Johnson will walk on campus and almost instantly be the best QB option Texas will have had since Colt ?

(Sell) Maybe, but I'm not ready to say that.

BUY or SELL: Tom gives Jerrod a shot at QB, for a full game, at some point over these last few games?

(Sell) Not unless he's out of healthy options.

BUY or SELL: Last week you said Tim Beck should be given credit for a good performance by his players, and therefore this week it reasonable for Texas fans and you to call him out for a very poor performance?

(Buy) Of course.

BUY or SELL: Texas will hire an AD before the 2018 football season?

(Buy) I think.

BUY or SELL: Our offensive design is more difficult both to learn and to execute. Put another way, if we ran a version of the air raid, we would see partial ineptitude, and not complete ineptitude?

(Buy) Texas has been trying to force square pegs into round holes all season.

No. 8 – If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. TCU
7. Wisconsin
8. Miami
9. Washington
10. Auburn

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Never before has Bedlam been more Bedlam that it was on Saturday. Man, Oklahoma fans have to love having a head coach that can call plays and lead his offense to 62 points on the road against a top 10 team.

... Baker Mayfield for Heisman ... I think it's going to happen.

... The Big 10 is full of slightly above average teams it seems and very little else.

... As a football fan, I found myself missing Deshaun Watson on Sunday. The Texans have gone from must-watch to barely watchable.

... For the first time this season, the Dallas Cowboys impressed the hell out of me. That was a big-boy performance.

... I was wrong about Carson Wentz. Way wrong. He good.

... Dear New York Giants, what the hell was THAT?

... A.J. Green definitely watched UFC217 this weekend.

... Speaking of UFC217, a few thoughts: George St Pierre was going to get knocked out if that fight went five more minutes. I'm not knocking him at all because it was a brilliant performance for him, but the tank was starting to empty right before he went in for the finish. Man, I'm guessing T.J. Dillashaw slept well on Saturday night. You KNOW that meant a lot to him. Damn, Rose! You go, girl!

No. 10 – And Finally…

This tweet kind of spoke to exactly what I was feeling all day on Sunday. The people that were slaughtered at a place of worship deserve better than for us to have moved on by next Sunday. My heart aches for each and every family that had its world shattered today. I wish we were better.

source.gif

In the first 10 months on the job leading into the season, Tom Herman warranted an A-grade for his performance off the field with respect to his role as CEO of the program. From recruiting to social media presence to high school coaching relationship building to getting facility upgrades in full-swing, Herman knocked it out of the park for the most part.

In the first nine weeks of the actual football season, the performance has been very underwhelming.

How underwhelming?

Well, his teams play hard and with much more effort than Charlie Strong's Island of Misfit Teams, but outside of moral victories and mostly avoiding the big butt-kickings, the Herman impact on the field has been uninspiring. When those in the Texas administration that supported his hire fought for him, the expectation was that his hire would forever eliminate the issues of ugly offensive football that have plagued the program for almost the entirety of this decade.

I'm not making any hyperbolic claims. I'm not ignoring the impact of his off-field accomplishments. All I'm saying is that we're nine weeks into this season, the team is 4-5 and isn't making the kind of strides late in the year that most expected.

Late in the game on Saturday night, moments before TCU scored its final touchdown with an all-too predictable defensive bust after the defense had played so well for 80-percent of the game, a thought flashed in my head that stopped me in my tracks.

It wasn't something that hasn't been discussed before, but for whatever reason it hit me like a ton of bricks as Gary Patterson sucked the life out of the game like a parent that lets the air out of a balloon because they feel like their child has played with that balloon enough.

Seconds later, TCU scored to send the final dagger into the heart of Tom Herman's team and I couldn't help but think of all of you, especially those of you that I've known on this site for almost 20 years. If I'm feeling like this, what must all of you be feeling in this exact moment of exasperation?

Suddenly, I started thinking of the quarterbacks in those years ... Garrett Gilbert, Case McCoy, David Ash, Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard, Shane Buechele ... there's been so much false hope at every turn.

It's just been rough to watch and I know it's been tough for you guys to accept.

I don't really have anything profound to add to this, other than to say that I feel you guys and more than anything, I appreciate you being in the Orangebloods family when the very passion that makes everyone sign up in the first place has been battered for far too long of a stretch of time.

Believe me, I appreciate the hell out of you guys, perhaps never more so than on Saturday night.

You can't be too safe when it comes to concussions. I don't care what anyone says, three days of concussion-free symptoms opening the door for a return to football is simply not responsible and I feel emboldened in making the comment after hearing Tom Herman confirm that Sam Ehlinger suffered complications from his concussion issues from the last two weeks AFTER he was cleared to resume football activities.

Count me in the crowd that believes that Ehlinger should be shut down for the rest of the season, so that he can have a full year to get right before testing the waters in another full-contact setting. Let him get right and put him in a position where he can truly put this behind him with some time on his side. The risk just isn't worth the reward in any capacity at this point.

I don't care if the doctors clear him because they've been getting this wrong for decades and they seemingly got it wrong again last week.

Search under every rock and tree in the JUCO scene for more offensive linemen. It won't be easy, but it has to be done because if there's one really concerning thing about the 2018 season, it's the reality that immediate help might not be on the way from the ranks inside the program.

If Connor Williams returns next season as I expect that he will, how many linemen do you feel good about riding with from the current linemen in the program? Two? Three?

Denzel Okafor is a work in progress to say the least. Patrick Hudson is coming off of a major injury. There aren't any other big-time prospects waiting in the wings.

What this program currently has on the books for 2018 with this position isn't good enough.

a. The Malcolm Roach of 2017 looked a lot like the Malcolm Roach of 2016 for maybe the first time this season.

b. Very quietly, Gary Johnson might have had his best extended snaps performance of the season.

Poor little TCU.

Just a poor little squirrel trying to find an acorn, while owning a 153-33 edge over everyone else's perception in the last four years.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
buy_sell.jpg

BUY or SELL: There will be 5 or more de-commitments from the current 2018 class before the first signing date in December?

(Buy) Tom Herman does not view Beck as his biggest problem. He's view Beck as a guy that has been dealt terrible circumstances.

(Sell) Normal around here is one of the highest attrition numbers per year of any school in the nation over the last decade.

BUY or SELL: Roschon Johnson will walk on campus and almost instantly be the best QB option Texas will have had since Colt ?

BUY or SELL: Tom gives Jerrod a shot at QB, for a full game, at some point over these last few games?

BUY or SELL: Last week you said Tim Beck should be given credit for a good performance by his players, and therefore this week it reasonable for Texas fans and you to call him out for a very poor performance?

(Buy) Of course.

(Buy) I think.

BUY or SELL: Our offensive design is more difficult both to learn and to execute. Put another way, if we ran a version of the air raid, we would see partial ineptitude, and not complete ineptitude?

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. TCU
7. Wisconsin
8. Miami
9. Washington
10. Auburn

... Never before has Bedlam been more Bedlam that it was on Saturday. Man, Oklahoma fans have to love having a head coach that can call plays and lead his offense to 62 points on the road against a top 10 team.

... The Big 10 is full of slightly above average teams it seems and very little else.

... As a football fan, I found myself missing Deshaun Watson on Sunday. The Texans have gone from must-watch to barely watchable.

... For the first time this season, the Dallas Cowboys impressed the hell out of me. That was a big-boy performance.

... Speaking of UFC217, a few thoughts: George St Pierre was going to get knocked out if that fight went five more minutes. I'm not knocking him at all because it was a brilliant performance for him, but the tank was starting to empty right before he went in for the finish. Man, I'm guessing T.J. Dillashaw slept well on Saturday night. You KNOW that meant a lot to him. Damn, Rose! You go, girl!

No. 10 – And Finally…

This tweet kind of spoke to exactly what I was feeling all day on Sunday. The people that were slaughtered at a place of worship deserve better than for us to have moved on by next Sunday. My heart aches for each and every family that had its world shattered today. I wish we were better.

Not the point. Whatever.
It actually is the point. While those seasons weren't awful by this new standard that has been set, Texas fans have been watching unfulfilling football with little payoff for eight straight years.

I will use my last day of my cancelled subscription to say this. It's 9 games!! Saban was 6-6 with a loss to La Monroe his first year at Alabama. Hook 'em and be well.
Hope to see you back one day. Be well, indeed.

Well, when I was in the military, we got rid of bad apples. Mr Strong apparently picked a lot of rotten bad apples because these recruits have no killer instinct. I am sure happy that I got to watch real football at Texas until 2009. We are in the midst of a clown circus. I have always attended the Veterans Day football game, but alas, my heart is not in it this year just like our football team.

source.gif

How underwhelming?

Poor little TCU.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
buy_sell.jpg

(Buy) Of course.

(Buy) I think.

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. TCU
7. Wisconsin
8. Miami
9. Washington
10. Auburn

No. 10 – And Finally…

I noticed that Antwuan Davis played instead of PJ. No bad angles, no blown coverage.

D4horns

Reactions: TheAssquatch
@Ketchum I think a week or two ago maybe in this column you said TH had done a "very good job." At the time I thought "very good" was a definite overstatement and I guess you would too now.

Pretty awful that this strong defensive effort is being wasted on this year.

Giving bad players or average players an extra year does not mean that they'll be better.

We started saying that about those young linemen in 2007 and we've been saying the same thing for 10 years.
We've also said we need experience and maturity on the OL. Next year, we will have more of that than we've had in a while.

At any rate, do you really think Williams is coming back? What are you hearing, if anything?

@Ketchum I think a week or two ago maybe in this column you said TH had done a "very good job." At the time I thought "very good" was a definite overstatement and I guess you would too now.

Pretty awful that this strong defensive effort is being wasted on this year.
I think the very good comment is based on taking into consideration the off-field stuff, which I give him A-marks for.

We've also said we need experience and maturity on the OL. Next year, we will have more of that than we've had in a while.

At any rate, do you really think Williams is coming back? What are you hearing, if anything?
a. The experienced players don't have much higher upsides IMO, at least not the majority of them.

reinforcements are needed IMO.

b. I hear he's leaning towards leaving, but I think that would be a huge mistake.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
a. The experienced players don't have much higher upsides IMO, at least not the majority of them.

reinforcements are needed IMO.

b. I hear he's leaning towards leaving, but I think that would be a huge mistake.
I certainly don't disagree that we need reinforcements.

The price we have to pay so that guys can get the AR-15s, amiright?

Absolutely.

For the last 7 or 8 years the Texas Longhorns football program has been mired in absolute mediocrity and I have been wondering to myself, "Oh Lord, oh Lord, when is it going to become our time again?" And the answer from on high was a thunderous silence that left that question unanswered. You can only hope and pray for the future of this football program at this point as this year has pretty much become a big huge bust.
Making the hot and sexy pick of Tom Herman to run the Texas Longhorns football program is something akin to an NFL team making a high first round pick to draft a hot shot rookie QB or a Running Back and then to only have that player become a complete and total bust their first year in the League. Can anyone say Tony Mandarich, Rick Mirer, Health Shuler or Johnny Manziel?

QUOTE]
Well, his teams play hard and with much more effort than Charlie Strong's Island of Misfit Teams, but outside of moral victories and mostly avoiding the big butt-kickings, the Herman impact on the field has been uninspiring.
You're simply being to harsh. Before the season, did you think we would play USC, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State even, shutting down every one of those offenses (even TCU)? The defense has been inspiring and I think you need to admit it.

Search under every rock and tree in the JUCO scene for more offensive linemen. It won't be easy, but it has to be done because if there's one really concerning thing about the 2018 season, it's the reality that immediate help might not be on the way from the ranks inside the program..

Now you're into the real task at hand. Herman knew that his right tackle situation was a disaster, but had no time to fix it. Then he got hit on the left side. He needs to scour the graduate transfer market too, looking at every Big 10 and SEC offensive lineman that got beat out and every small school player that wants to improve his draft status. Same thing at QB. If we have to play another freshman in 2018 because of injuries to the top 2, that is on Herman.

As far as Beck, I think he got picked someone familiar with his offense and terminology and misjudged. I'll bet you $5 right now that Herman knows he needs to make a change. He's not going to tell a soul though other than his wife.

I just don't see Conner Williams coming back next year. I also don't think we have a bunch of scrubs. I would certainly like more depth, but Kerstetter, Vahe, Shack, McMillon/Hudson, Okafor/Hudson doesn't sound bad to me with Rodriguez being a versatile swing guy. Let's hope that another guy or two develops a bit, but I'm not too frightened here.
interesting...

Just roll out with the same group, thinking Hudson and Rodriguez up-grade it....

Bold strategy, Cotton.

Only on orangebloods can Elijah Rodriguez go from a 2 star recruit to All-american by not playing. The same way Dominic Espinoza became a huge star in 2014

ADVERTISEMENT