ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (There Will Be Blood)

Enjoyed it @Ketchum Thanks for the work.

We just need "some" progress on the field. The story these coaches have sold has a few holes in it but they have KILLED it recruiting IMO. If, and that may be a big IF, they can put together a 9-3 type season...the story becomes reality and we can get back to stacking high school Blue Chips like Chord wood, we become a destination location for the PORTAL and coaches "magically" learn how to coach really well again.

Reactions: Ketchum
Oh, me too, but what are we replacing it with?
Granted it's all subjective, but for me the Top 5 would be...
  1. Terminator 2
  2. Predator
  3. Commando
  4. Terminator
  5. True Lies/Twins (interchangeable IMO)
I do love me some funny Arnold, though, so Kindergarten Cop is greatness. Speaking of funny Arnold, if you ever meet him in person, be sure to be on guard because apparently he has a standard punchline that crushes people every time.

@Ketchum No Running Man......Not even a mention! So, disappointed...

99c7e2f8-4e3f-4e8b-9a91-b18375e7db27_text.gif

7d9e94d0-e28b-4685-a99e-b03aa3453d86_text.gif

Reactions: a_hornsfan
Enjoyed it @Ketchum Thanks for the work.

We just need "some" progress on the field. The story these coaches have sold has a few holes in it but they have KILLED it recruiting IMO. If, and that may be a big IF, they can put together a 9-3 type season...the story becomes reality and we can get back to stacking high school Blue Chips like Chord wood, we become a destination location for the PORTAL and coaches "magically" learn how to coach really well again.
good post

Reactions: DKinnamon
Do we have a better shot with him if we do not land other guys?
It's hard to say. There some scuttlebutt that Texas is in a good spot there, but there's also reason to believe his recruitment has a long ways to go.

I'd say yes, but it's not emphatic,.

Granted it's all subjective, but for me the Top 5 would be...
  1. Terminator 2
  2. Predator
  3. Commando
  4. Terminator
  5. True Lies/Twins (interchangeable IMO)
I do love me some funny Arnold, though, so Kindergarten Cop is greatness. Speaking of funny Arnold, if you ever meet him in person, be sure to be on guard because apparently he has a standard punchline that crushes people every time.
I'm not sure I'm ever going to meet him, but if I do.... I'll be ready. ;)

I agree. You don't see me making a big deal out of it. It's excuse-making.

It’s not as much about when someone gets paid as it is about having a promised amount before you sign as opposed to merely knowing that NIL opportunities will be available as they are at any school. Sure, it wouldn’t be much of an advantage for one school over another to promise a kid some amount to enroll if a kid believed with equal certainty that he would receive an equal or otherwise sufficient amount at the other school. But aside from NIL deals like the pancake factory, a kid that only knows that NIL opportunities will be available to him at the other school (as they are at every school) doesn’t get that certainty with the other school. The speculative/conditional nature of the NIL amount at the other school can certainly result in an advantage to the school that promises before enrollment assuming that the recruit believes the promise will be followed through on.

It’s not as much about when someone gets paid as it is about having a promised amount before you sign as opposed to merely knowing that NIL opportunities will be available as they are at any school. Sure, it wouldn’t be much of an advantage for one school over another to promise a kid some amount to enroll if a kid believed with equal certainty that he would receive an equal or otherwise sufficient amount at the other school. But aside from NIL deals like the pancake factory, a kid that only knows that NIL opportunities will be available to him at the other school (as they are at every school) doesn’t get that certainty with the other school. The speculative/conditional nature of the NIL amount at the other school can certainly result in an advantage to the school that promises before enrollment assuming that the recruit believes the promise will be followed through on.
No doubt.

Good write up. Hill to aggy hurts but I do feel Texas lost out mainly because the product on the field has been so bad on that side of the ball. Win 10 games and prove everyone wrong. Do that recruiting in the defensive ball will start closing on these big targets.
It feels like we are in the Oklahoma 2016-19ish vicious cycle.

recruits are lining up to play on the offensive side of the ball but the defense they kept losing battles for elite recruits… and the defense kept being ass.

But I’d kill for a couple of those 12 win seasons where they outscored most teams despite historically bad defense.

Unless something big changes, that’s gonna be our basic game plan this year.

It feels like we are in the Oklahoma 2016-19ish vicious cycle.

recruits are lining up to play on the offensive side of the ball but the defense they kept losing battles for elite recruits… and the defense kept being ass.

But I’d kill for a couple of those 12 win seasons where they outscored most teams despite historically bad defense.

Unless something big changes, that’s gonna be our basic game plan this year.
OU won a lot of titles in that time.

All 3 were pretty accomplished at Texas. What happens after means squat
Malik had one accomplished year. He was pretty pedestrian as an inside LB his first two years. Orlando used him outside to his benefit and he had a great third year. Good enough to get drafted so perhaps it was a natural progression.

Malik had one accomplished year. He was pretty pedestrian as an inside LB his first two years. Orlando used him outside to his benefit and he had a great third year. Good enough to get drafted so perhaps it was a natural progression.
Good enough to be Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

we would KILL for ANY of those 3 types of talent on this squad

any of those three would significantly improve this defense.

I think you and I are on the same page in that War Daddies on D are more important relative to their offensive counterparts when it comes to building an elite unit.

Always enjoy seeing folks having difficult times get assistance from others. Going forward will there be a threshold, process to filter approve those type of requests? Typically this will encourage others to come forward with their ask. Just pondering the circumstances.

That's the big question that doesn't have a positive answer at the moment.
Here's the good thing, and also potentially the bad thing.

The product we put on the field this year will likely have as big if not a bigger impact on recruiting than any other season I can think of.
There is alot of time before signing day. If we go 9-3, only lose by a few points in each of the losses, and show a much improved defense, there is no telling what will happen with some of these kids.
One thing is for sure though, if we DO NOT show alot of improvement on defense, I believe we will see a few guys jump ship. At that point it would be a real scramble to finish with a decent class on that side of the ball.

I keep calling this upcoming season the most important & consequential season - in regards to the impact it will have on the future of the program. I'm not saying we have to be perfect or win a championship this year, but we do have to - at a minimum put on a better defensive product on the field, and continue to show we are an exciting - explosive offense.

If this season looks ANYTHING like last year, I believe things are going to get ugly in a way we have never seen.

Last edited:
I must say that as much as I dislike the Aggies, I think I would rather see Texas players go to them as opposed to OSU, USC or OU.
Not me. At least those are good programs. Their fans may be dicks but they aren’t delusional cult members with Milk men for cheerleaders. ACES.

Always enjoy seeing folks having difficult times get assistance from others. Going forward will there be a threshold, process to filter approve those type of requests? Typically this will encourage others to come forward with their ask. Just pondering the circumstances.
Good questions that I don't completely have the answers for. Yes, there is a vetting process.

Not me. At least those are good programs. Their fans may be dicks but they aren’t delusional cult members with Milk men for cheerleaders. ACES.
I think some have forgotten what Aggies success means for the Texas program, historically.

We’ve been through too much to be so thinned skinned to think it’s not a war in recruiting and that we will get everyone we want. What’s bothersome is the poor defensive results on the field and inability to get blue chip D players as you said. i love to know if Sark has a plan B with Gary to replace coach K during the season if he falters. You have to believe Sark had that discussion with Gary.
Doesn’t PK run a true 3-4 defense? GP was a true 4-2-5 believer. Seems like a big schematic difference

I assume you mean aggy success is bad for UT, correct? I can't ever remember a time when both programs were successful at the same time.
The two programs have never been really good at the same time... ever.

So when A&M has been really good... Texas has not been,

Reactions: stevenspaul1357
The two programs have never been really good at the same time... ever.

So when A&M has been really good... Texas has not been,

the 9 win stat you mentioned the other day is mind blowing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT