ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (This is who Bob Stoops is...)

@ketckum I commented about your stance this morning on another thread and my opinion has not changed ..... my esteem for you went up 100% with the article and tweets on Stoops and OU hierarchy

Ketch, honestly, is there anybody that Herman could hire at DC who's appreciably better than Todd Orlando?

Is Dave Aranda that much better a coordinator than Orlando is and is he worth nearly a million more?

People here - skeptics - bring up the SMU, Navy and Memphis games to question Orlando's credentials while ignoring (intentionally?) the excellent defensive performances they had in Herman's 2 years at Houston. Your write up should quiet some of those folks. Some.

It amazes me how vicious posters are here with respect to Strong, while being equally forgiving with respect to Herman and his staff. Strong absolutely needed to be replaced. He had good talent that way underperformed and wasn't showing near the progress they should have. That said, he left the program in much better shape to win than he inherited. Mack left some very good players, but almost all were seniors and there was no depth beyond those top guys. We are returning almost an entire two deep with sophs and juniors for Herman.

Saying someone shouldn't be skeptical about multiple terrible defensive efforts by UH defenses this year is being blind. Sure they had some good games. But they play in a meh conference, and getting their asses kicked by SMU and Memphis types is exactly what got Strong fired. Navy is a one trick pony offense that others stopped cold, and UH looked lost against.

Bottom line, Orlando's writeup by Ketch sounded promising. And everyone here should want him to be hugely successful taking all the talent on hand and making it, as Ketch said, the best defense in the B12 next year. But until that happens, being skeptical about a guy who has never coached at this level, and has some ugly and recent warts on his resume is pretty reasonable.

I'm going to hope for the best. But I wish I had more confidence.

Reactions: Veritas10
Was it Thayer Evans that is always writing trash articles on other schools? Let's see what he can write on this OU stuff.

He was wild and crazy. It was 50-50 each Friday night as to whether he would last the entire game without getting thrown out, getting involved in a fight or generally acting like a fool, while dominating the game. His brother was a bad ass, too.
Not surprised this was the rationale for Texas taking a pass. Those Granger folks like to get it in for sure. Fun group to hang out with. Thanks for the explanation Ketch.

What also helped Stoops was that he had a very good staff back then too. IIRC Leach and Mangino and Venables were part of that staff. You also had a VERY fast buy in by that team.

It also helped that they played a disinterested FSU team in the NC game and beat them...if FSU plays anywhere near what they were capable of they would have beaten OU.

They beat a disinterested FSU team in the national championship game? Really? What was FSU preparing for their first game of the 2001 season? Serious burnt orange glasses in that post

Not surprised this was the rationale for Texas taking a pass. Those Granger folks like to get it in for sure. Fun group to hang out with. Thanks for the explanation Ketch.
His academics were also shaky. Came down to KSU and OU.

Affleck has been accused of sexual harassment multiple times. Just found it interesting with his mention in the same column as Stoops and OU.

It amazes me how vicious posters are here with respect to Strong, while being equally forgiving with respect to Herman and his staff. Strong absolutely needed to be replaced. He had good talent that way underperformed and wasn't showing near the progress they should have. That said, he left the program in much better shape to win than he inherited. Mack left some very good players, but almost all were seniors and there was no depth beyond those top guys. We are returning almost an entire two deep with sophs and juniors for Herman.

Saying someone shouldn't be skeptical about multiple terrible defensive efforts by UH defenses this year is being blind. Sure they had some good games. But they play in a meh conference, and getting their asses kicked by SMU and Memphis types is exactly what got Strong fired. Navy is a one trick pony offense that others stopped cold, and UH looked lost against.

Bottom line, Orlando's writeup by Ketch sounded promising. And everyone here should want him to be hugely successful taking all the talent on hand and making it, as Ketch said, the best defense in the B12 next year. But until that happens, being skeptical about a guy who has never coached at this level, and has some ugly and recent warts on his resume is pretty reasonable.

Bottom Line : Using the same logic how do we know if any of the sophomores and juniors left by Strong are good or capable of winning. Their wart is they have never had a winning season, lost to Kansas and are soft and undisciplined.

I going to hope for the best that the new staff is successful but they have a lot to overcome

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Remember when Texan fans were thumping their chest about their offseason QB acquisition - good times.

Congratulations to the Texans, they are the only sports organization that has flushed more money down the toilet than The University of Texas. $70 million down the shitter on one player - outstanding!!

I agree that the women's volleyball team sets a great example of Texas sports for the rest of the family. I would not bet against them winning it all in any season.

Same can be said for our Divers on a yearly basis.

@Ketchum Viola Davis will be in the mix for an Oscar for Fences. I thought Denzel was really good as well. Some very powerful scenes.

Greatest movie lawyer:

Paul Newman's Frank Galvin in "The Verdict"
960.jpg

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
They beat a disinterested FSU team in the national championship game? Really? What was FSU preparing for their first game of the 2001 season? Serious burnt orange glasses in that post

I watched the game and FSU DID NOT take OU seriously. That is not burnt orange glasses talking Bowden10 OK.......you get beat like they did that night WTH would YOU call it.

10 1/2 favorites and all that talent and I give OU credit on the D side of the ball for what they did.

Let me be BLUNT with you here.......I will leave to Bobby Bowden to say it best: "When I look at it now, I think it should have been Miami and Oklahoma," Seminoles coach Bobby Bowden said. "We didn't look like we belonged here."

He was RIGHT!

Ketch-here is the list of the Top Ten Greatest Trial Films according to the American Film Institute:

1To Kill a Mockingbird 1962

2 12 Angry Men 1957

3 Kramer vs. Kramer 1979

4 The Verdict 1982

5 A Few Good Men 1992

6 Witness for the Prosecution 1957

7 Anatomy of a Murder 1959

8 In Cold Blood 1967

9 A Cry in the Dark 1988

10 Judgment at Nuremberg 1961

I would move Kramer v. Kramer down to the end.and put Judgment at Nuremberg in the # 6 spot.

The Casey Affleck skit was hilarious. I went to College in Boston and spent a few hours studying there. It was a pretty good acting performance.

No Dr. Strange in the top 10 movies?

Dusty Dvoracek has a very successful radio show up here. He is an emerging talent. This is the sum of his statement on the air.

"Bob gave him a second chance now he is working for ESPN"

You can go with the hard line, but there are two things to consider. One, if the opinion is rooted in an advocacy for a competitor, the opinion is strongly devalued. Secondly, what has greater social impact, redeeming an individual or creating "throw away" people. There is nothing in Stoop's resume that even hints at tolerance of repeated transgressions.

The real work of an educator is to improve people. I'll take people that improve the social structure over the punishment crowd all day long. It's the superior thinking.

Straight out of the Dr. Tom Osborn playbook for player enablement. Almost word for word what he said after Lawrence Phillips dragged a girl down the stairs by here hair. Well done on the superior thinking angle.

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno
YOu are missing the point. HIs second chance should never have occurred at Oklahoma. Never. It wasn't his first or second or third violent offense. He crushed a guy's face.

You, good sir, are really missing the point. Enabling abusers doesn't become right because a guy hasn't been arrested or beaten anyone to a pulp in the last few years.

I hope you appreciate that I'm attempting to challenge your thinking on a societal level. I don't know the background of your formed opinions. I don't know you. I don't know your triggers. I'm certainly not trying to provoke you over team affiliation. Nevertheless, In my opinion, your thinking is wrong minded.

For context, I spent four years in Austin studying philosophy and criminology. I still love Austin and UT for the most part. I moved to Norman after we had our first child and I needed someone to pay me to work. Oil and gas was the ticket. I really don't care for Stoops personally, but that's more the occasional frustration with the role of sports in our educational system, the emphasis, the money, the privilege, etc. Nevertheless, I grudgingly acknowledge that whatever he works with gets better over time. His teams get better over the course of a year. The people under his direction become better people over their time in the program. Being in town over the duration of his coaching tenure, it's incontrovertible.

As for second chances, It's a violent sport. It's a violent sport that we embrace for it's ability to entertain us. It's a violent sport we tolerate for economic gain. Often, it is a sport best performed by aggressive people, maybe in some cases by aggressive people lacking the best influences in their life. Do we not have some obligation to give the guys a chance, to teach them proper conduct, to allow them to become better people. Teaching and betterment is not enabling. It's socially beneficial and morally sound. It's the purpose of education and mentoring. If someone proves irredeemable, or resistant to expectations, fine, you get rid of them. Your mistake, in my opinion is rooted in the notion that unacceptable behavior is tolerated and allowed to continue unchecked. In a lot of cases, that's just tribal thinking which influences others with the wrong information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplhorns11
I hope you appreciate that I'm attempting to challenge your thinking on a societal level. I don't know the background of your formed opinions. I don't know you. I don't know your triggers. I'm certainly not trying to provoke you over team affiliation. Nevertheless, In my opinion, your thinking is wrong minded.

For context, I spent four years in Austin studying the philosophy and criminology. I still love Austin and UT for the most part. I moved to Norman after we had our first child and I needed someone to pay me to work. Oil and gas was the ticket. I really don't care for Stoops personally, but that's more the occasional frustration with the role of sports in our educational system, the emphasis, the money, the privilege, etc. Nevertheless, I grudgingly acknowledge that whatever he works with gets better over time. His teams get better over the course of a year. The people under his direction become better people over their time in the program. Being in town over the duration of his coaching tenure, it's incontrovertible.

As for second chances, It's a violent sport. It's a violent sport that we embrace for it's ability to entertain us. It's a violent sport we tolerate for economic gain. Often, it is a sport best performed by aggressive people, maybe in some cases by aggressive people lacking the best influences in their life. Do we not have some obligation to give the guys a chance, to teach them to proper conduct, to allow them to become better people. Teaching and betterment is not enabling. It's socially beneficial and morally sound. It's the purpose of education and mentoring. If someone proves irredeemable, or resistant to expectations, fine, you get rid of them. Your mistake, in my opinion is rooted in the notion that unacceptable behavior is tolerated and allowed to continue unchecked. In a lot of cases, that's just tribal thinking which influences others with the wrong information.
Well thought out and reasonable response.

Well, at the very least, he can't be much worse than Strong was as a coach.

Strong was a culture guy and prepared these men well for off the field.

Unfortunately he failed miserably at preparing them for the games on the field. The proof is an ocean full of examples. There really isn't anywhere to go but up.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornBuc
The best Christmas song of all time was performed/recorded by Nat King Cole. Any other suggestion is equal parts insane and retarded.

Amen on our under appreciated Volleyball team!
Their NC loss crushed me. I really appreciate the talent, effort and hard work these girls put in every year. I hope they have the best of everything at their disposal because they certainly deserve it.
HOOK'EM and thanks to the volleyball team for providing a bright moment to close out the year!

k

By we, do you mean Oklahoma, because that's the site your profile is affiliated with?

How ironic...
I don't think Ketch's write up was indicating "we" are obsessed with ou anymore than his work on baylor and "we" being accused of being obsessed with baylor!
I think Ketch is justifiably obsessed with the manner in which men's college athletics continues to trump the unbelievable attrocities committed against women.
Lastly, go check out Ketch's facts and then we can talk about obsessing with ou. By the way, ou still sucks!

What are you talking about?

What is an example of what you're talking about?
Never used the words All Star but I think there is some letdown by posters after posts and tweets like this from you. Your post below is from a thread titled "Ketch: Dream Staff Coming Together?".
Couple that with Suchomel reporting not many UH staffers were expected to come over (he said early on but no one paid attention to that) and I think a let down was inevitable by some:

He's going to have a monster staff. It's one of the things pro-Herman Texas supporters loved about the idea.

A tweet from the same day:

Geoff Ketchum @gkketch

One Texas source told me this morning that Herman aims to creat the greatest assembly of recruiters in the history of the state.

9:28 AM - 26 Nov 2016

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT