ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman's big 2018)

Every post in this entire thread is from a white man, including myself, so I thought I would provide some perspective of the Hader situation from the very people he offended. Not the ones that weren't.

All you know of my "politics" is the following.

I am pro-women.
I am pro-people of all origins.
I am pro people of all races.
I am pro people of all backgrounds.
I am pro love.
I am pro human rights.
I am pro-truth and facts.

I push back strongly against ideology that fights against my pros.

I don't think you are always pro truth and facts.

Reactions: BufordUonDavis

This tweet makes a great point. It truly is something that everyone who has commented in this thread should take to heart in considering the situation.

Couldn't listen to the Bomani Jones podcast, so can't comment on that.

The Tyler Tynes tweet is intellectually dishonest because none of the kids who came to tragic endings has a thing to do with the situation involving Hader. Every single one of those kids' stories should be evaluated with their own nuances. No need to comment further on that tweet.

America has a lot of blind spots. On both sides of the fence. Wish we were all open to considering that we have them and open to discussing them.

This tweet makes a great point. It truly is something that everyone who has commented in this thread should take to heart in considering the situation.

The Tyler Tynes tweet is intellectually dishonest because none of the kids who came to tragic endings has a thing to do with the situation involving Hader. Every single one of those kids' stories should be evaluated with their own nuances. No need to comment further on that tweet.

America has a lot of blind spots. On both sides of the fence. Wish we were all open to considering that we have them and open to discussing them.
The point by the Tweet you find intellectually dishonest actually properly frames how young men of colored are presented and how young white men are presented.

It was the furthest thing from intellectually dishonest. It's important that people understand the perspectives of those that are the subject of the hate.

The non-offended don't get to decide how the offended are offended.

The point by the Tweet you find intellectually dishonest actually properly frames how young men of colored are presented and how young white men are presented.

It was the furthest thing from intellectually dishonest. It's important that people understand the perspectives of those that are the subject of the hate.

The non-offended don't get to decide how the offended are offended.
Twice now in this thread, I have looked for and found common ground with you. And twice now you have chosen to focus on the areas where we differ when responding. There is a reason that people think you are pig-headed, dude. You make a for a shitty diplomatic negotiator.

People are never going to agree on everything, but finding the areas that we agree on and move from there... that's how progress will be made.

It makes it evident that you just want to argue. Discussions that are fruitful occur when people acknowledge each other's views and build from there, not try and ram every single opinion down the others' throats.

Reactions: BufordUonDavis
The examples you string together, Ketch, are "apples and Buicks" -- to borrow a phrase -- but since I've got to earn a living I can't take time to sort it all out for you today.

Twice now in this thread, I have looked for and found common ground with you. And twice now you have chosen to focus on the areas where we differ when responding. There is a reason that people think you are pig-headed, dude. You make a for a shitty diplomatic negotiator.

People are never going to agree on everything, but finding the areas that we agree on and move from there... that's how progress will be made.
I'm trying to find middle ground, while explaining that there are some things that cannot be compromised.

It makes it evident that you just want to argue. Discussions that are fruitful occur when people acknowledge each other's views and build from there, not try and ram every single opinion down the others' throats.
Ironic post is ironic.

You've yet to acknowledge the points I've made. You just twisted the conversation to a different narrative and blamed me in the process for not going along with it.

Scary, feel free to quote the specific comment of mine that you disagree with as it relates to acknowledging the thoughts and opinions of those actually impacted by his hate.

Ironic post is ironic.

You've yet to acknowledge the points I've made. You just twisted the conversation to a different narrative and blamed me in the process for not going along with it.
I've yet to acknowledge the points you've made? I've acknowledged two, and looked for more, but couldn't get into the Bomani Jones podcast to listen (I don't have time to, but was willing to). You haven't acknowledged a single point anyone has made that comes from a different angle that I've seen. You didn't reply to the point in either post in which I acknowledged points you made. I'll reply to both of those posts again.

I haven't twisted a thing.

Reactions: DrothmanII
I've yet to acknowledge the points you've made? I've acknowledged two, and looked for more, but couldn't get into the Bomani Jones podcast to listen (I don't have time to, but was willing to). You haven't acknowledged a single point anyone has made that comes from a different angle that I've seen. You didn't reply to the point in either post in which I acknowledged points you made. I'll reply to both of those posts again.

I haven't twisted a thing.
Quote the specific section you'd like me to address? You'll have to forgive me, I'm having 100 conversations all at once.

Just out of curiosity, which black athletes were booed for protesting racial injustices? Are we talking like Jim Brown and Ali like 50-60 years ago?
THIS is the level of intellectual dishonesty I'm dealing with.

I guess the older I get, the more I care about specific examples where the nuances are. It's much easier to judge situations as it pertains to groups of people, and my empathies are always with individuals because it's their lives who are affected, not groups, in the specific situations.

In this specific situation, a guy (who has had teammates step up as character witnesses) is living his life then gets blasted out of nowhere for statements he made 8 years ago as a child (yes, 17 is close to an adult, but still a child). He owns up to them and apologizes, and his hometown team's crowd cheers for him.

I listened to espn radio on my way home, after I posted my initial thoughts in this thread and some points were made that made me raise an eyebrow. I do have empathy for the groups that he said such hateful things about. But no one in that group has been injured, and he's an individual who now suffers from what seems to be a permanent mark on his character. 1. I don't find that fair at all. 2. I have become ambivalent about the cheers from his home crowd. But ultimately, 3 they are his home crowd.

It's much easier these days to demonize people in a moment in time, and I am not a fan of that, regardless of which side of the political landscape they fall under. Had his twitter statements been made last year, I wouldn't find much empathy for him and would fall on your side of the eeked out aisle as it relates to the crowd's reaction. But they didn't. 8 years ago. I understand the crowd's reaction. I also understand your reaction to them.

Here's post number 1. You have to click the box to see all acknowledgements I've made both in this quoted post and the one below.

Here's post number 2 in which I look for common ground, find it and acknowledge it. You seem to read right past it, or don't care. You have to click the box to see all acknowledgements I've made.

What do you mean? I'm asking if that's what you're referring to.
I'm referring to the never-ending string of incidents. From before Jim Brown, through him and after him.

It's kind of been in the news, if you haven't heard.

100-percent agreed.

addressed previously. Feel free to engage.

I disagree that two sides of this have glaring blind spots. I feel like that is what one side of the fence keeps telling itself and suggesting out loud because it often excuses horrifying behavior, like claiming that nazis are good people, too. That was said in the name of both sides have blind spots. As it relates to pure politics.... sure... there could be some meeting in the middle, but ain't nobody really trying for that if we're being honest with each other.

Here's post number 2 in which I look for common ground, find it and acknowledge it. You seem to read right past it, or don't care. You have to click the box to see all acknowledgements I've made.
I addressed all of the post. I previously addressed the part that I believed was most in need of addressing.

Of course, those people make excellent points.

I'm referring to the never-ending string of incidents. From before Jim Brown, through him and after him.

It's kind of been in the news, if you haven't heard.

Ok. Can you give me an example of an athlete in the last 10 years who has been booed for protesting racial injustices?

I feel like that is what one side of the fence keeps telling itself and suggesting out loud because it often excuses horrifying behavior, like claiming that nazis are good people, too.

Who said nazis are good people?

100-percent agreed.

addressed previously. Feel free to engage.

I disagree that two sides of this have glaring blind spots. I feel like that is what one side of the fence keeps telling itself and suggesting out loud because it often excuses horrifying behavior, like claiming that nazis are good people, too. That was said in the name of both sides have blind spots. As it relates to pure politics.... sure... there could be some meeting in the middle, but ain't nobody really trying for that if we're being honest with each other.
No blind spots for you? Got it.

Everyone, we are done here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT