ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (UT kicked A&M's ass this weekend)

No Idea Idk GIF by Muppet Wiki
The new shrug emoji!

You don't beat a&m in recruiting until you do, just because you have a blowout weekend and they didn't doesn't matter until they sign.
a&m will back up the $$ truck and sign a lot of guys,hopefully that won't happen.
Until Texas starts putting it on the field and win, it's just the same old BS.

Losing a top tier running back for Texas hasn't always been a detriment to the team the following season. The last two seasons following a running back from Texas taken in the top 3 rounds, where a coaching change didn't follow the season and the QB was returning, 2005 Season after Benson drafted and 2008 after Jamaal was drafted. We did pretty good those years.

That's not really a fair point.

Texas didn't need a day one player last year at the Z. It just needed to have something better than sub-replacement level.
Read the post I’m responding to. I get that’s not exactly what you were saying.

How about if you have the best running back in the game, bar none? Go look at his touches for the games we lost. Unlike a WR, you can just turn and hand it to a RB.
D'onta Foreman ran for over 2,000 yards and won the Doak Walker in 2016 ... and Texas went 3-6 in the Big 12. Having a one dimensional run based offense, no matter how dominant it is, isn't necessarily the key to resounding football success. Especially when you don't have an elite defense to pair with it.

D'onta Foreman ran for over 2,000 yards and won the Doak Walker in 2016 ... and Texas went 3-6 in the Big 12. Having a one dimensional run based offense, no matter how dominant it is, isn't necessarily the key to resounding football success. Especially when you don't have an elite defense to pair with it.
Don't forget Ricky's junior season in 1997 when he led the NCAA in scoring and rushing during a 4-7 season.

You said the four receivers caught a grand total of I think 11 catches. It would be very interesting to know exactly how many times they were targeted. Personally, I don’t think they were given many chances to do more than they could have.

Regarding Sark not using the portal as much as you think he should (I tend to agree)- is there a possible "we must keep the Texas HS football coaches happy" angle to it? In the past, I've read that during the Mack Brown years, Texas avoided recruiting out-of-state too much because of possible backlash from high school FB coaches...

You said the four receivers caught a grand total of I think 11 catches. It would be very interesting to know exactly how many times they were targeted. Personally, I don’t think they were given many chances to do more than they could have.
Not a ton, that's for sure.

Regarding Sark not using the portal as much as you think he should (I tend to agree)- is there a possible "we must keep the Texas HS football coaches happy" angle to it? In the past, I've read that during the Mack Brown years, Texas avoided recruiting out-of-state too much because of possible backlash from high school FB coaches...
I think he just prefers high school kids.

Ketch,
I really enjoyed the read. One of your bests.
What’s your take on Zini U attending the aggy Jr Day instead of Texas?
Why no mention Corian Gipson or Justin Williams in your list of significant attendees?

Ketch,
I really enjoyed the read. One of your bests.
What’s your take on Zini U attending the aggy Jr Day instead of Texas?
Why no mention Corian Gipson or Justin Williams in your list of significant attendees?

a. He's always been a guy that has said he's going to look around and isn't a look to follow his brother.

b. Both were mentioned in section 3.

I said replace the true freshman and that was not Conner.
The difference between Conner and Hutson wasn't enough to change UT's record or trajectory in the season IMO.

Clearly Kyle Flood agrees with me because he did not want Junior back.

Reactions: DrHorn98
Yet, there's a part of me that looks back on last season and realizes that the offense that Steve Sarkisian spent eight months working to put together in 2022 never even made it to the first game before Sarkisian was forced to reconcile with what is said about man's best-laid plans.

And you have highlighted my #1 concern about Sark.

He's a one trick pony. If he has outrageous talent, he can win. Duh, who can't?

But he came to TEXAS with a Heisman quality All American running back and instead of building the offense around him, he stuck with his pass happy, bombs away approach.

Not to mention, even with the lead in games, he abandoned the running game when what we needed was 1st downs and running out the clock.

He is a very rigid dude, I like him, I want him to succeed and he's a hell of a recruiter. I wonder if he is a good (not even going to say great as he's not close) HC.

☹️☹️☹️

Bar is set, CCG or bust for 2023. He's out of excuses.

And you have highlighted my #1 concern about Sark.

He's a one trick pony. If he has outrageous talent, he can win. Duh, who can't?

But he came to TEXAS with a Heisman quality All American running back and instead of building the offense around him, he stuck with his pass happy, bombs away approach.

Not to mention, even with the lead in games, he abandoned the running game when what we needed was 1st downs and running out the clock.

He is a very rigid dude, I like him, I want him to succeed and he's a hell of a recruiter. I wonder if he is a good (not even going to say great as he's not close) HC.

☹️☹️☹️

Bar is set, CCG or bust for 2023. He's out of excuses.
This is an understandable take.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
Meanwhile, Sarksiain can stop trying to turn Worthy into Cliff Branch 2.0

================================================================================

I've got to admit I had no idea you were old enough to remember Cliff Branch.

• Haha
Reactions: DrHorn98
Meanwhile, Sarksiain can stop trying to turn Worthy into Cliff Branch 2.0

================================================================================

I've got to admit I had no idea you were old enough to remember Cliff Branch.

Sadly, I am.

Plus, Branch shows up later in the article.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
Although he doesn't have a background in recruiting, he is supposed to have a great personality that is expected to translate in recruiting. If nothing else, Sarkisian can just send him home to his old high school - Santa Ana (Ca.) Mater Dei.

Mater Dei is loaded in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

========================================================

Is the Mater Dei connection with Jackson just a nice coincidence, or do you think this actually played a role in Sarkisian being attracted to him as a candidate?

Although he doesn't have a background in recruiting, he is supposed to have a great personality that is expected to translate in recruiting. If nothing else, Sarkisian can just send him home to his old high school - Santa Ana (Ca.) Mater Dei.

Mater Dei is loaded in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

========================================================

Is the Mater Dei connection with Jackson just a nice coincidence, or do you think this actually played a role in Sarkisian being attracted to him as a candidate?
I don't believe in coincidences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT