ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (UT kicked A&M's ass this weekend)

How about if you have the best running back in the game, bar none? Go look at his touches for the games we lost. Unlike a WR, you can just turn and hand it to a RB.
D'onta Foreman ran for over 2,000 yards and won the Doak Walker in 2016 ... and Texas went 3-6 in the Big 12. Having a one dimensional run based offense, no matter how dominant it is, isn't necessarily the key to resounding football success. Especially when you don't have an elite defense to pair with it.

D'onta Foreman ran for over 2,000 yards and won the Doak Walker in 2016 ... and Texas went 3-6 in the Big 12. Having a one dimensional run based offense, no matter how dominant it is, isn't necessarily the key to resounding football success. Especially when you don't have an elite defense to pair with it.
Don't forget Ricky's junior season in 1997 when he led the NCAA in scoring and rushing during a 4-7 season.

You said the four receivers caught a grand total of I think 11 catches. It would be very interesting to know exactly how many times they were targeted. Personally, I don’t think they were given many chances to do more than they could have.

Regarding Sark not using the portal as much as you think he should (I tend to agree)- is there a possible "we must keep the Texas HS football coaches happy" angle to it? In the past, I've read that during the Mack Brown years, Texas avoided recruiting out-of-state too much because of possible backlash from high school FB coaches...

You said the four receivers caught a grand total of I think 11 catches. It would be very interesting to know exactly how many times they were targeted. Personally, I don’t think they were given many chances to do more than they could have.
Not a ton, that's for sure.

Regarding Sark not using the portal as much as you think he should (I tend to agree)- is there a possible "we must keep the Texas HS football coaches happy" angle to it? In the past, I've read that during the Mack Brown years, Texas avoided recruiting out-of-state too much because of possible backlash from high school FB coaches...
I think he just prefers high school kids.

Ketch,
I really enjoyed the read. One of your bests.
What’s your take on Zini U attending the aggy Jr Day instead of Texas?
Why no mention Corian Gipson or Justin Williams in your list of significant attendees?

Ketch,
I really enjoyed the read. One of your bests.
What’s your take on Zini U attending the aggy Jr Day instead of Texas?
Why no mention Corian Gipson or Justin Williams in your list of significant attendees?

a. He's always been a guy that has said he's going to look around and isn't a look to follow his brother.

b. Both were mentioned in section 3.

I said replace the true freshman and that was not Conner.
The difference between Conner and Hutson wasn't enough to change UT's record or trajectory in the season IMO.

Clearly Kyle Flood agrees with me because he did not want Junior back.

Reactions: DrHorn98
Yet, there's a part of me that looks back on last season and realizes that the offense that Steve Sarkisian spent eight months working to put together in 2022 never even made it to the first game before Sarkisian was forced to reconcile with what is said about man's best-laid plans.

And you have highlighted my #1 concern about Sark.

He's a one trick pony. If he has outrageous talent, he can win. Duh, who can't?

But he came to TEXAS with a Heisman quality All American running back and instead of building the offense around him, he stuck with his pass happy, bombs away approach.

Not to mention, even with the lead in games, he abandoned the running game when what we needed was 1st downs and running out the clock.

He is a very rigid dude, I like him, I want him to succeed and he's a hell of a recruiter. I wonder if he is a good (not even going to say great as he's not close) HC.

☹️☹️☹️

Bar is set, CCG or bust for 2023. He's out of excuses.

And you have highlighted my #1 concern about Sark.

He's a one trick pony. If he has outrageous talent, he can win. Duh, who can't?

But he came to TEXAS with a Heisman quality All American running back and instead of building the offense around him, he stuck with his pass happy, bombs away approach.

Not to mention, even with the lead in games, he abandoned the running game when what we needed was 1st downs and running out the clock.

He is a very rigid dude, I like him, I want him to succeed and he's a hell of a recruiter. I wonder if he is a good (not even going to say great as he's not close) HC.

☹️☹️☹️

Bar is set, CCG or bust for 2023. He's out of excuses.
This is an understandable take.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
Meanwhile, Sarksiain can stop trying to turn Worthy into Cliff Branch 2.0

================================================================================

I've got to admit I had no idea you were old enough to remember Cliff Branch.

• Haha
Reactions: DrHorn98
Meanwhile, Sarksiain can stop trying to turn Worthy into Cliff Branch 2.0

================================================================================

I've got to admit I had no idea you were old enough to remember Cliff Branch.

Sadly, I am.

Plus, Branch shows up later in the article.

Although he doesn't have a background in recruiting, he is supposed to have a great personality that is expected to translate in recruiting. If nothing else, Sarkisian can just send him home to his old high school - Santa Ana (Ca.) Mater Dei.

Mater Dei is loaded in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

========================================================

Is the Mater Dei connection with Jackson just a nice coincidence, or do you think this actually played a role in Sarkisian being attracted to him as a candidate?

Although he doesn't have a background in recruiting, he is supposed to have a great personality that is expected to translate in recruiting. If nothing else, Sarkisian can just send him home to his old high school - Santa Ana (Ca.) Mater Dei.

Mater Dei is loaded in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

========================================================

Is the Mater Dei connection with Jackson just a nice coincidence, or do you think this actually played a role in Sarkisian being attracted to him as a candidate?
I don't believe in coincidences.

(Sell) I couldn't root for the Eagles if they played an all-star team of Aggies/Sooners.

======================================================

Though there are bigger needs in Rd 1, I would prefer the Cowboys take Bijan with their pick rather than Philly getting him with their 2nd 1st round pick. That is how much it would upset me if he goes there.

(Sell) I couldn't root for the Eagles if they played an all-star team of Aggies/Sooners.

======================================================

Though there are bigger needs in Rd 1, I would prefer the Cowboys take Bijan with their pick rather than Philly getting him with their 2nd 1st round pick. That is how much it would upset me if he goes there.

There might not be bigger needs if Polard goes. The offense needs playmakers.

1. Raymond Berry (Paris)

The former SMU star was one of the truly great receivers in the pre-modern era of the sport. A 6-time All-Pro selection , Berry caught 631 career passes for 9,275 yards and 68 touchdowns, while earning a spot on the NFL's 75th and 100th anniversary teams. Berry officially entered the NFL Hall of Fame 50 years ago this year.

===============================================================

My next door neighbor's mom growing up in Arlington was Raymond Berry's cousin. Betty Berry was her name before she got married. Raymond had a brief stint as the Cowboys' wide receiver coach, and he came over to visit them a couple of times. I guess you might say I was sort of in awe.

Yikes @ that scholarship board…..better cash in next year. Likely lose

Keilon
Whit
Jones
Sweat
Collins
Jahdae
Watts
Ford
Thompson
JSanders
X
Mitchell
Plus a few more

That’s a lot of production/star power.

1. Raymond Berry (Paris)

The former SMU star was one of the truly great receivers in the pre-modern era of the sport. A 6-time All-Pro selection , Berry caught 631 career passes for 9,275 yards and 68 touchdowns, while earning a spot on the NFL's 75th and 100th anniversary teams. Berry officially entered the NFL Hall of Fame 50 years ago this year.

===============================================================

My next door neighbor's mom growing up in Arlington was Raymond Berry's cousin. Betty Berry was her name before she got married. Raymond had a brief stint as the Cowboys' wide receiver coach, and he came over to visit them a couple of times. I guess you might say I was sort of in awe.
That's awesome.

He was supposed to be an incredible route runner. He could run a route and tell you by the inch how off your field was with regards to official size.

Yikes @ that scholarship board…..better cash in next year. Likely lose

Keilon
Whit
Jones
Sweat
Collins
Jahdae
Watts
Ford
Thompson
JSanders
X
Mitchell
Plus a few more

That’s a lot of production/star power.
Gotta keep recruiting like gangbusters

@Ketchum seeing Keenan McCardell's name in your "others receiving consideration" section was a blast from the past. I went to Waltrip with Keenan, actually played Little League baseball with him too. His story coming out of HS is crazy. I bet we didn't throw 20 passes his entire senior year. We were a wishbone/option team. But Coach Barron could get his guys recruited. Keenan went to UNLV and then had a really nice NFL career. Now he's coaching in the league. Great story from our little neighborhood on the north side of Houston.

@Ketchum seeing Keenan McCardell's name in your "others receiving consideration" section was a blast from the past. I went to Waltrip with Keenan, actually played Little League baseball with him too. His story coming out of HS is crazy. I bet we didn't throw 20 passes his entire senior year. We were a wishbone/option team. But Coach Barron could get his guys recruited. Keenan went to UNLV and then had a really nice NFL career. Now he's coaching in the league. Great story from our little neighborhood on the north side of Houston.
That's a great story. His final NFL numbers are really, really good

11,373 yards receiving and 63 touchdowns.

Reactions: Fatty Goodlander
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT