ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What I really think after 12 games...)

He won the Rose Bowl coming from one of those conferences.

He's doing it at TCU.

He is graded on the curve because it’s TCU. Let’s see him win big games before we rank him. That’s how coaches are really judged. So far he has spit the bit in the Big 12. He has a chance this weekend.

Agreed on QBs. If I bet on which horse will get to that 135 to 140 QBR sooner--which is the place where a real QB competition begins, becuase if you have a group of QBs and only one of them is above that line, you don't have a competition--is Ehlinger.

But while both guys sit in the 120s, we don't have a QB.

His baby is the offense and if the offense was actually a baby, millions of Texas fans would've called CPS to report him in the last four months.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
He is graded on the curve because it’s TCU. Let’s see him win big games before we rank him. That’s how coaches are really judged. So far he has spit the bit in the Big 12. He has a chance this weekend.
I think this is crazy talk that is completely losing sight of the totality of his career.

He's the Bill Snyder of this state.

If listened to the "olds" about OT threads, this board would suck and I'd have less than half of the current subscribers we have.;)
Doubt that's an olds thing. It's just people who don't get what makes the board what it is.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
I think this is crazy talk that is completely losing sight of the totality of his career.

He's the Bill Snyder of this state.

You’re not wrong about Texas coaches, but after Mack and DKR there is a big drop off. If asked to support your ranking with just his Big 12 years i don’t think that he is better than Briles or Slocum. Î would give the edge to Patterson because he wins his bowl games, but his lower conf record shouldn’t count.

Patterson has had one really good year in the Big 12 and a couple of good years like this one. Even his overall record is always padded with very weak teams like Baylor’s always was. They have 2 gimme out of conference games a year that bigger programs like UT and OU don’t. Their non conference games this year were SMU, Jackson St, and Arkansas. In 2012 when that they were 12-1 they played Sanford, Minnesota, and SMU.

Last edited:
Hmm. I wonder if this decision was just another example of not having a feel for the game. Many of us have noted that at times it appears Coach Beck isn't tuned in to what is going on right in front of his eyes so to speak. I'll admit it is a stretch, but perhaps Tom Herman also has the same problem at times.
We (all of us) question everything when we lose.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
You’re not wrong about Texas coaches, but after Mack and DKR there is a big drop off. If asked to support your ranking with just his Big 12 years i don’t think that he is better than Briles or Slocum.

Patterson has had one really good year in the Big 12 and a couple of good years like this one. Even his overall record is padded with very weak teams like Baylor’s always was. They have 2 gimme out of conference games a year that bigger programs like UT and OU don’t. Their non conference games were SMU, Jackson St, and Arkansas. In 2012 when that they were 12-1 they played Sanford, Minnesota, and SMU.
Isn't the fact that his team is in the top 10 and playing for the conference title in 5 days, and yet you're calling that a "good year", an indication of the job he's done?

p.s. Briles enabled rape and isn't in the discussion.

I think Mack needs to have a heart to heart mtg with Herman about accountability, and what he needs to do to "get it fixed." And yes, I'm being totally serious.
Was not Mack Brown the picture boy of Entitlement ? ....maybe he can tell him how to loose a high paying job.

Isn't the fact that his team is in the top 10 and playing for the conference title in 5 days, and yet you're calling that a "good year", an indication of the job he's done?

p.s. Briles enabled rape and isn't in the discussion.

My guess is he loses so just a good year, not a great one. It’s still to be determined. If he wins I’ll agree with you. He, however, hasn’t historically won these games in the Big 12 which is why i’m pushing back. I’m waiting for him to actually do it.

Was not Mack Brown the picture boy of Entitlement ? ....maybe he can tell him how to loose a high paying job.

Actually, Mack took full responsibility for "checking out" and letting the program. languish. He also went all out to get the program back on track {new hires, conferring with every big time coach around, including Saban & Meyer, etc}. But for a variety of reasons, wasn't able to right the ship in time {given}.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
No more Kool-aid for me either. With perhaps the exception of Todd Orlando, history repeated itself. More often than not, even at the pro level, the young coaches just don't just don't seem to work out. Can't understand why we didn't go after someone with a long successful resume as a head coach in a power 5 conference.
We are in a better place now than we were last year and the way the defense played isn't something you can toss aside. The defensive improvement was HUGE.

I'm not saying you aren't right to be disappointed, but who should we have realistically gone and gotten? Mike Dantonio? Mike Gundy? Gus Malzahn? Are any of those slamdunks in Texas Recruiting? Are any of them realistic?

If A&M doesn't get Jimbo Fisher, who do they think is realistically coming to CS that is an improvement over Sumlin? By the way, why would Fisher come to A&M?

It’s easy to quit drinking the Kool-Aid, I’ve done it thousands of times.
Yeah, like now. Cold turkey, no desire for a sip. But after good to great recruiting, good news out of the strength and conditioning program, QBs and offense look good in spring, Gary Johnson is the new DJ, Patrick and Elijah and Denzel are monsters and Derek has grown up, and we have a wealth of great receivers, will I fall back off the wagon? Will you? Will all of OB? Probably.

My guess is he loses so just a good year, not a great one. It’s still to be determined. If he wins I’ll agree with you. He, however, hasn’t historically won these games in the Big 12 which is why i’m pushing back. I’m waiting for him to actually do it.
short-sighted perspective, my friend.

Actually, Mack took full responsibility for "checking out" and letting the program. languish. He also went all out to get the program back on track {new hires, conferring with every big time coach around, including Saban & Meyer, etc}. But for a variety of reasons, wasn't able to right the ship in time {given}.
i'm not sure he ever really did take responsibility, but he talked a lot about taking on the responsibility.

Reactions: HorntoWin
I don't doubt that Herman blew it with retaining Shane for next year, when it was painfully obvious to most that Herman/Beck needed to sit Sam's ass down & give Shane a shot. "So that's how its gonna be is it? Got it!" says Shane.

Sam throwing that interception at the end was truly mind-boggling. How many of us sat thee in stunned silence. Felt like an episode right out of "Twilight Zone."
Honest to God, I really wasn't surprised, and for two reasons:

1). I felt like I'd seen that movie before, and more than once

2). The last 1 1/2 quarters or so, it just felt like we were going to swallow the olive. It was one bad play, dropped pass, poor throw, foolish decision, muffed punt, after another.

I love me some 'Horns.....but our team had "gonna lose this game" written all over it during the second half this past Friday night.

Reactions: txfight

BUY or SELL: You can’t name three worse play calls in all the history of college football than 3rd and 2 against Tech?

(Sell) Kicking to Leeland McElroy in 1994. Calling for a Simms pass over the middle in the 2001 Big 12 Championship game with a 7-0 lead one play after Cedric Benson had rushed for 24 yards. Or either of the passes over the middle that were called/intercepted thereafter. And the decision-making in the final seconds of the 2009 Big 12 Championship game.

I'll take PR Craig Curry for $500 Alex...

Reactions: J Tull
"While I completely understand not believing in the Texas ground game, the dynamics of the situation were this:

a. You're two yards away from securing a victory.
b. Running the ball would have insured that Tech would have needed to call its final timeout immediately afterwards, regardless of the result.
c. If you don't get the first down, the option to use your best player (Michael Dickson) in an effort to pin the Red Raiders 90 yards away from pay-dirt with no timeouts absolutely existed.

The only thing that couldn't happen was a turnover or an incomplete pass.

So, what did Texas do?

Herman and Co. called a play that was intellectually insulting to anyone with an eye on game management. It felt like the kind of decision that Charlie Strong would make.[/QUOTE]

This should be grounds for dismissal. Herman's incompetence is on full display. You can't blame Beck because Herman has full veto power, he's HC, and it's all on him. As a fan hoping that we had found and hired the right guy, it was a punch in the gut and a kick in the cajones. After watching that, how can any of us have any confidence in Herman.

Reactions: longhornms
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT