ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What I really think after 12 games...)

Honest to God, I really wasn't surprised, and for two reasons:

1). I felt like I'd seen that movie before, and more than once

2). The last 1 1/2 quarters or so, it just felt like we were going to swallow the olive. It was one bad play, dropped pass, poor throw, foolish decision, muffed punt, after another.

I love me some 'Horns.....but our team had "gonna lose this game" written all over it during the second half this past Friday night.

I hear ya.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
"While I completely understand not believing in the Texas ground game, the dynamics of the situation were this:

a. You're two yards away from securing a victory.
b. Running the ball would have insured that Tech would have needed to call its final timeout immediately afterwards, regardless of the result.
c. If you don't get the first down, the option to use your best player (Michael Dickson) in an effort to pin the Red Raiders 90 yards away from pay-dirt with no timeouts absolutely existed.

The only thing that couldn't happen was a turnover or an incomplete pass.

So, what did Texas do?

Herman and Co. called a play that was intellectually insulting to anyone with an eye on game management. It felt like the kind of decision that Charlie Strong would make.

This should be grounds for dismissal. Herman's incompetence is on full display. You can't blame Beck because Herman has full veto power, he's HC, and it's all on him. As a fan hoping that we had found and hired the right guy, it was a punch in the gut and a kick in the cajones. After watching that, how can any of us have any confidence in Herman.[/QUOTE]

Good lord. Overreact much? Do all boards at other sites have this high concentration of drama queens?

This should be grounds for dismissal. Herman's incompetence is on full display. You can't blame Beck because Herman has full veto power, he's HC, and it's all on him. As a fan hoping that we had found and hired the right guy, it was a punch in the gut and a kick in the cajones. After watching that, how can any of us have any confidence in Herman.

Good lord. Overreact much? Do all boards at other sites have this high concentration of drama queens?[/QUOTE]

Don't know about any of the other boards, but from the reaction from other posters, there are more than a few that agree with this drama queen. Evidently it didn't bother you very much. Maybe you didn't watch the game. And if you want to see real drama queens, get a subscription to Aggie Yell.

"While I completely understand not believing in the Texas ground game, the dynamics of the situation were this:

b. Running the ball would have insured that Tech would have needed to call its final timeout immediately afterwards, regardless of the result.
c. If you don't get the first down, the option to use your best player (Michael Dickson) in an effort to pin the Red Raiders 90 yards away from pay-dirt with no timeouts absolutely existed.

So, what did Texas do?

Herman and Co. called a play that was intellectually insulting to anyone with an eye on game management. It felt like the kind of decision that Charlie Strong would make.

This should be grounds for dismissal. Herman's incompetence is on full display. You can't blame Beck because Herman has full veto power, he's HC, and it's all on him. As a fan hoping that we had found and hired the right guy, it was a punch in the gut and a kick in the cajones. After watching that, how can any of us have any confidence in Herman.[/QUOTE]
Mistakes occur. Some just can't ever happen twice. There's some stuff that Herman has to clean up in year two.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
I agree with everything you said here, but the fact that the players performed as poorly as they did- and with a lack of maturity as you said- I put that squarely on Herman. After the WV game he immediately started talking about 8-5 and how much progress that would be. He took Tech for granted. I think he and the team exhaled big time after WV and that’s on him. He did not have that team ready for a game that he took for granted. And that’s consistently been a problem for him as a head coach. It’s also a reason people call him arrogant.
this exactly.....same with Maryland.

Hopefully well know more by the fall. The addition of Rising and Thompson as early enrolles should push Sam and Shane this off season. Red shirting one if not both and with Johnson in 2019 should solve this in my opinion. sure one or two of those 5 will transfer out at some point. But by next fall when was the last time Texas had those kind of QBs and competition on campus.
"Say whatever you want, but if A&M hires Jimbo Fisher away from Florida State with a contract worth more than $35 million, it'll be exactly the kind of hire I've suggested the Longhorns make in each of its last two openings. Fisher is an absolute guarantee on the box."

The dysfunction of the Forty Acres was on full display at the end of 2013. Vain, outgoing Mack Brown didn't want the greatest coach in college football history to succeed him. Mack first convinced new AD Steve Patterson that hiring Saban would result in Patterson eventually being fired. Then Mack, Patterson, and Mack's attorney Joe Jamail worked to persuade UT President, Bil Powers, that hiring Nick Saban would be bad for Powers' image and UT's reputation in the academic community.

What we saw then is the same thing Ketch saw at Bellmont now. Those in charge at UT are more concerned about their own personal interests than they are with winning championships.

Where does this stuff come from? Has there ever been a single non-anonymous source or shred of evidence, or was this just reported on CNN?

I don't doubt that Herman blew it with retaining Shane for next year, when it was painfully obvious to most that Herman/Beck needed to sit Sam's ass down & give Shane a shot. "So that's how its gonna be is it? Got it!" says Shane.

Sam throwing that interception at the end was truly mind-boggling. How many of us sat thee in stunned silence. Felt like an episode right out of "Twilight Zone."
Dude I thought Shane should get some time but 90% of this board wanted sam and said he was the reason we were even competing

Where does this stuff come from? Has there ever been a single non-anonymous source or shred of evidence, or was this just reported on CNN?

The Horns 247 staff did an extensive article last week explaining in considerable detail the lengths that Mack Brown went to in order to convince Bill Powers and and Steve Patterson to scuttle attempts to hire Saban in 2013. While Mack's supporters try to cast doubt about whether Saban could've really been hired, if Saban wasn't a strong possibility, why would Mack be personally campaigning so hard to keep Saban from happening As for claims that Saban may have been just playing Texas for more money, the contract terms Alabama published were the same he had been offered several months before Texas entered the picture.

What the 247 article points out is that Mack, Powers, and Patterson, each acting for their own selfish reasons, were responsible for scuttling Texas' chances to hire the greatest coach in the history of college football.

You can't consider the state of the program over the past 4 years without pondering how much more improved it might have been without the self-interests of 3 individuals, all of whom would be out of power at Texas in less than a year.

So, what did Texas do?

This should be grounds for dismissal. Herman's incompetence is on full display. You can't blame Beck because Herman has full veto power, he's HC, and it's all on him. As a fan hoping that we had found and hired the right guy, it was a punch in the gut and a kick in the cajones. After watching that, how can any of us have any confidence in Herman.
Mistakes occur. Some just can't ever happen twice. There's some stuff that Herman has to clean up in year two.[/QUOTE]
Obviously Herman won’t be fired over this and the opportunity to vent in a post is sometimes too easy to resist. But Herman has too many years as a D-1 coach to have let this happen. Watching this leads to questions that shouldn’t have to be asked at UT.

The Horns 247 staff did an extensive article last week explaining in considerable detail the lengths that Mack Brown went to in order to convince Bill Powers and and Steve Patterson to scuttle attempts to hire Saban in 2013. While Mack's supporters try to cast doubt about whether Saban could've really been hired, if Saban wasn't a strong possibility, why would Mack be personally campaigning so hard to keep Saban from happening As for claims that Saban may have been just playing Texas for more money, the contract terms Alabama published were the same he had been offered several months before Texas entered the picture.

What the 247 article points out is that Mack, Powers, and Patterson, each acting for their own selfish reasons, were responsible for scuttling Texas' chances to hire the greatest coach in the history of college football.

You can't consider the state of the program over the past 4 years without pondering how much more improved it might have been without the self-interests of 3 individuals, all of whom would be out of power at Texas in less than a year.

Is 247 Chip Brown?

Let's look at "could have easily been 10-2."

1. SC game. We gained 100 fewer yds on offense. We had a 5 minute deficit in TOP. never led until 45 seconds left after a miraculous final drive covering 91 yds.

2. Oklahoma. Gained 55 fewer yds on offense. 3 1/2 minute deficit in TOP. At one point was down 20 points. Another point down 13. Held one lead in the 4th quarter for 1 minute.

3. Oklahoma State. Outgained by 150 yds. A NINE minute deficit in TOP.

4. Texas Tech. Outgained by 60 yds. We did have a 3 minute advantage in TOP. Biggest lead we had was 10 points.

If you look at "game control" only ONE of those game could it be remotely argued we controlled the game. Against Tech. In the other games the other team scored first. We had significant deficit in TOP and yardage gained. Like it said, we didn't finish 6-6 by accident or "bad luck."

Nobody said it was an accident, better coaching and player decision making and we are possibly 10-2.

No they didn't say that. However, you said "easily" as did folks in Belmont apparently. That's what's laughable.

ESPN has about as much credibility as Austin Statesman or Ft Worth Star Telegram - ie none but the willingness to provide information from at best dubious sources.

Coach Brown and Patterson were never on the same page. Patterson wanted Coach Mack out.

Texas was 10-3 in 2007 and scored 52 points in the Holiday Bowl.

Comparing Sam this year to Colt in 2007 is stupid. Their stats are hardly comparable
No one made a direct comparison.

ESPN has about as much credibility as Austin Statesman or Ft Worth Star Telegram - ie none but the willingness to provide information from at best dubious sources.

Coach Brown and Patterson were never on the same page. Patterson wanted Coach Mack out.
Patterson walked into a hot kitchen not wanting to sweat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT