ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What needs to happen with Metroplex recruiting ...)

Took my wife to 2001 in about 1979 at the Dobie. (I had already seen it a couple of times.)

She thought she was going to see something like Star Wars. It took her a while to understand and appreciate.

Last time I saw 2001 was at the Paramount. Last summer or two summers ago. It was presented just like it was originally presented at theaters. Waiting for the movie to start and before the curtain opened, there was probably 10-15 minutes of a slightly disturbing, low rumbling sound. The lights went down, the curtain came open, and the low rumbling turned into Also Sprach Zarathrustra.

I get chills just thinking about it!

And he was never as good as Emmitt Smith was in his sport.

You’re guilty of devaluing Ripken’s career in the same manner people do of Emmitt’s. Both were top five of all time at their respective positions.

Last edited:

2. Make the Metroplex a bigger priority

The truth of the Tom Herman recruiting model is that it doesn't place a very high level ofimportance on the Metroplex.

Reminds me of the Fred Akers days when he ignored the Metroplex and the okies and aggies cleaned up.

Hook’em!

Hahaha.....love # 10........My mind still thinks I'm that dude, but my body....no way. I just played a game of horse (basketball) with my daughter 2 weeks ago. Swear to God, my Achilles tendon is damaged for I don't know how long....and my bones and muscles in my feet and legs are on notice. Kills me every day. In my head, though, I'm that proud cop chasing that punk down. Please lord, don't wake me up from this dream.
You hurt yourself playing H-o-r-s-e?

Having the princess bride at number two, is like another man taking it up the poo -
per.
uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Reactions: Brewbacca
@Ketchum okay, Herman calls you and offers you a job on staff to oversee the DFW turnaround. Let’s pretend you accept. First day on the job.

What are the top 1 to 3 actual mover you make? What’s your strategy?
Assuming this has nothing to do with hires on the staff.

1. I host multiple DWF specific Junior, Sophomore and Freshmen days. Inside of those, I make sure every piece of Dallas influence that we have in the program is involved, from former players to current professors to famous alums.

2. I convince Tom to hire a Bryan Carrington type to be specifically focused on the area and this area alone. Texas needs a Mr. Dallas behind the scenes working these kids.

3. I would enhance the Dallas area social media presence by hiring someone specific for content related to that area.

You’re guilty of devaluing Ripken’s career in the same manner people do of Emmitt’s. Both were top five of all time at their respective positions.
emmitt smith was the engine behind one of the most dominant dynasties in the history of the sport. His most impactful moments are the legend of the sport. He's the record holder for the most significant career stat in all of NFL history.

Cal Ripken is George Blanda or James Lofton... not Emmitt Smith.

emmitt smith was the engine behind one of the most dominant dynasties in the history of the sport. His most impactful moments are the legend of the sport. He's the record holder for the most significant career stat in all of NFL history.

Cal Ripken is George Blanda or James Lofton... not Emmitt Smith.

Congratulations you just compared the second greatest SS of all time to James Lofton and George Blanda.

When the Kansas staff gets fired, hire Doug Meacham. Your metroplex plombems solved.

I think we see a dip in Ronaldo's goal-scoring this year.
Ron’s in the very small group of dudes that you count “older, and due for a drop off” at your own peril. Lebron and Brady-like; look at his physique and the results of his Juve physical. He’s a maniac who doesn’t drink, works everyday and looks the part unlike Brady. He could have taken a fat check and a leisurely stroll through the MLS retirement home, but he went to a European Power with some fire under his ass after being disrespected for too long by RM.

Assuming this has nothing to do with hires on the staff.

1. I host multiple DWF specific Junior, Sophomore and Freshmen days. Inside of those, I make sure every piece of Dallas influence that we have in the program is involved, from former players to current professors to famous alums.

2. I convince Tom to hire a Bryan Carrington type to be specifically focused on the area and this area alone. Texas needs a Mr. Dallas behind the scenes working these kids.

3. I would enhance the Dallas area social media presence by hiring someone specific for content related to that area.
Great comment.

Congratulations you just compared the second greatest SS of all time to James Lofton and George Blanda.
No, I compared him to Hall of Famers in their sport that got by much more on longevity than they did having a sustained level of elite form excellence.

Ripken had a few truly great years, but he average more than he was great.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...he-most-overrated-baseball-player-of-all-time

Ripken came up to the Orioles in 1981 and won the "Rookie of the Year" award in 1982, his first full season, an award he undoubtedly deserved for his .264 average, 28 homers, and good defense at shortstop. By his second full season, Ripken hit .318 with 27 home runs and 102 RBI, and won the "American League MVP" award. He led the Orioles to the World Series championship, batting a solid .273 in the playoffs. But after that, his career pretty much went downhill. He had a couple of more good years, hitting .304 with 27 HR in 1984, .282 with 26 HR and 110 RBI in 1985, and .282 with 25 HR in 1986. But by the late 1980s, he became a .260 hitter with 21 homers who simply played every day.

Oh sure, he still had his moments. He won the MVP in 1991 and hit .340 in 1999, at the age of 39. But for the most part he was just a disappointment year-after-year who continued to play every single game.

Ripken batted .276 for his career, as opposed to the league’s .264 mark, and reached base 34 percent of the time, only a small improvement from the league’s 33.2 percent. In other words, he reached base at about the same rate as the average ballplayer. In addition, he had no speed and holds the major league record for most times grounded into a double play (350).

And his numbers in themselves are deceiving. He hit over 400 home runs but only hit 30 once. He only batted .300 three times and never had an on-base percentage over .380. For his career, his OPS, a statistic that measures a player’s on-base percentage plus slugging percentage when adjusted to the league average and the ballpark, was just 12 percent better than the league average. In comparison, guys like Corey Koskie, Raul Mondesi, and Pat Burrell are ahead of Ripken on the all-time list.

If you take all the members of the 3000-hit club, Ripken has the lowest career batting average and on-base percentage. He and Eddie Murray are the only guys who hit 400 home runs without ever hitting 35 or more in a season, but Murray hit 30 or more in a season five times. Ripken did it once. Ripken collected 200 hits in a season just once. He scored 100 runs three times in his first four seasons, but then never again.

and that's with me thinking about it for 60 seconds.

A true emphasis needs to exist.
It baffles me how there isn't one already. Houston and D/FW need dedicated emphasis. Central and East Texas need serious attention.

"It can't be emphasized enough that Herman must make improving his program's influence in the Metroplex a priority, complete with special recruiting events aimed specifically at kids from this area. Hiring a new staff member or two is only the first step that needs to take place."

In about 5 months, one of the best recruiting monsters will be available when Ed Orgeron gets fired at LSU. Go hire him and sic him on the Metroplex. Recruiting will change instantly.

If you're keeping score at home, only one of the top 15 players in the Metroplex have picked an out of state school as we creep up towards Labor Day, which means kids are staying close to home this year, just not in Austin.
Bridges and Wease? Oklahoma is definitely NOT Texas.

Well, a FG from the 45 is a 62-yarder, so...

I was thinking that question should be changed to 25 - 35 yard line. Beyond 35 we'll be going for it or punting.

Obviously Herman expected to make a higher percentage of those short 4th downs on the plus side of the field. I expect better results either way this year - either having the O and right play calls to make a good percentage or kick the field goals and make a good percentage. Turning the ball over in plus territory with no points repeatedly was a kick the groin last year that can't be repeated again.

Reactions: Marsellus
How about winning some games in the DFW?

We haven't played in the Cotton Bowl Classic since 2003.

We lose a high percentage of the RRR games to BlowU

We lose a high percentage of TCU games in Fort Worth - often an embarrassing beat down

We lost to UCLA at Jerry World when we kicked off both halves and blew a lead late.

These games get more publicity in DFW than "other" games. So all DFW kids see us do is lose.

Reactions: cammac88
"It can't be emphasized enough that Herman must make improving his program's influence in the Metroplex a priority, complete with special recruiting events aimed specifically at kids from this area. Hiring a new staff member or two is only the first step that needs to take place."

In about 5 months, one of the best recruiting monsters will be available when Ed Orgeron gets fired at LSU. Go hire him and sic him on the Metroplex. Recruiting will change instantly.
Orgeron will never work at Texas IMO

Reactions: cammac88
How about winning some games in the DFW?

We haven't played in the Cotton Bowl Classic since 2003.

We lose a high percentage of the RRR games to BlowU

We lose a high percentage of TCU games in Fort Worth - often an embarrassing beat down

We lost to UCLA at Jerry World when we kicked off both halves and blew a lead late.

These games get more publicity in DFW than "other" games. So all DFW kids see us do is lose.
absolutely

ADVERTISEMENT