ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Admitting I'm wrong isn't so hard after all...)

(Buy) That's not going to excite a lot of people, but in a five-year window, that's probably pretty realistic. You'll excuse me now if I step out of the way of any objects that might get thrown at me.
Us Texas fans don't normally operate in reality, so that's what I was aiming for in my B/S question. If the Horns are able to meet or exceed those accomplishments, I would be a very very happy Texas fan.

Especially considering Mack didn't win a conference championship, only playing in two, in his first seven years.

@Ketchum how does UT’s attrition average compare to top programs across the nation? Curious what Bama, Clemson, etc have averaged over the past few years.

Reactions: TD TX TD VY
I'd need to explore that. Don't have that data.
With UT trying to get back on top I think that would be an interesting case study to compare programs. Seems like attrition has slowed down a bit under Herman and players are buying in more. Those that have left haven’t really shown to be a loss to the program.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Tarantino flicks ...

With the opening of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend, Quentin Tarantino is drawing rave reviews for what is supposed to be one of his best movies yet.

Inspired by this article over at The Ringer, I've put together my Top 10 Tarantino scenes from over the years. For some reason, the article did a list without numeric ordering. I'm going to go where they didn't quite go.

(All of this is very not safe for work)

10. Pulp Fiction - The End Scene

I probably could have done a Top 10 list off of Pulp Fiction scenes alone. The bad mother wallet has inspired countless sports metaphors over the years from yours truly.

9. Inglorious Bastards - The Tavern Showdown

There are so many high points in this movie, but this World War II version of the Shootout at the OK Corral in a basement is near the top of the list.

8. Reservoir Dogs - The Diner Scene

It's a sin that this scene is this low because it's basically perfect.

7. Pulp Fiction - The Gold Watch

Christopher Walken gets the first of two mentions on this list.

6. Kill Bill Volume I- The Bride vs. The Crazy 88s

As far as I'm concerned, it might be the best fight scene of any movie ever created.

5. True Romance - The Sicilian

It's true that QT didn't direct this scene, but he did write it and it might just be the best scene in the careers of both Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken, which is saying a hell of a lot.

4. Reservoir Dogs - The Ear

You could make a case for this being No. 1, given that it's truly the scene that introduced us to the messed up upside that every QT movie that followed might have.

3. Pulp Fiction - Mr. Wolfe

My second favorite Pulp Fiction scene

2. Pulp Fiction - Apartment Scene

No actor does a QT scene better than Samuel L. Jackson and this is the scene that introduced us to the Samuel L. Jackson that we all know today.

1. Inglorious Bastards - The Opening

There's never been anything quite like it. Easy selection as No. 1 for me.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

This weekend was the last weekend without football until February of next year.

We made it!

The bathroom joke scene in Reservoir dogs is better than the ear scene. Straight up.

Also, The Sicilian is the best scene in True Romance, but the scene with Gary Oldman is a close 2nd.

No scenes with Pai Mei from KB2?

That was a great read and I’ve been around a while. Well done.

Now for your next project: A where are they now portion on the attrition guys since 2014

I’m most curious about how the dismissed and transfer guys ended up.

Reactions: marinehorn
I shouldn't be surprised by Chris Warren's laziness given that he gave up on school because the coaches wanted him to play TE. But I still kinda am.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

This weekend was the last weekend without football until February of next year.
giphy.gif

Reactions: TheIcebox
On attrition- how does the Texas rate compare to everyone else? There is some degree of it everywhere. Bama has a lot. I'm curious what the norm is.
Here is the attrition data for the 02-14 classes (current as of 3/2015). Our attrition rate for this period was slightly below the Big 12 average.

Not going to try to rank your QT scenes but your choice of #1 is an easy pick. That scene makes me so uncomfortable every time I watch it. Those two actors are incredible and the build up is bananas.

I think TH is in the verge of hitting some strides in recruiting for sure. We just need to get our players drafted once and for all in a major way because that is all that really matters is they have a good chance of making a living in the NFL. I think winning games is important but in today's college world showing young athletes we build you up to an NFL level player is critical to our program's success.

The attrition topic always triggers me. Some attrition is inevitable and healthy. But when you go past that point, it becomes a big liability and is a sign of systemic program failure - either in evaluating the talent, character or cultural fit of recruits and/or developing them once in the program by the entire football staff.

Every time somebody says were good but young and just another year away, they should instead be saying we failed with our current upper classes and thus will not be competing at the highest level in the upcoming year.

Having a "young team" is not an "act of god", but instead a failure of our program that should always be presented in that light.

omeire at 17 is laughable. he probably isn’t even in the list of the top 5 receivers in texas.. maybe not top 10.

The tension in the opening of IB is unreal. What an acting performance by Christoph Waltz, who I’d never seen before. And then the farcical pipe he pulls out was so Tarantino.

Aurevoir Shoshana!

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood wasn’t that great and it’s definitely not his best film.

Edit: I will say this times 10000%. Margot Robbie is a damn smoke show as Sharon Tate
It was far worse than being “not that great”. And I’ve loved other Tarantino films. I give it a 4 out of 10, the 4 being from DiCaprio, Pitt, Margot Robbie and the spot-on 60’s stuff. But the retro cars, tv shows and look alike stars could have been done in one or two scenes. The plot and everything else sucked IMO.

(Buy) Yeah, that's a big buy on all of it. I'll throw Jase McClellan in the running backs discussion as well.
@Ketchum Considering the importance of landing a top RB in this class, do you still view Collins as the most important prospect remaining on the (Texas) board? My view is that landing Evans (or Robinson) is the single most important priority for CTH in terms of 2020 recruiting. Thanks \m/

It would be an interesting to see a comparison of our attrition compared to other blue blood programs.

Attrition is natural when you have a high-performing team. Some guys just simply get passed up or don't want to compete. In most cases it's addition by subtraction. I'm ready for football!

PS - Your #2 is my #1 QT scene. LOVE that scene. Sam Jackson is the best.

The bathroom joke scene in Reservoir dogs is better than the ear scene. Straight up.

Also, The Sicilian is the best scene in True Romance, but the scene with Gary Oldman is a close 2nd.

No scenes with Pai Mei from KB2?
a. The Ear scene is all-time epic. The bathroom joke scene makes 11-20.

b. KB2 probably has a couple on the next 10 list.

ADVERTISEMENT