ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Boy, that escalated quickly...)

I'm sure that's true, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.
Historically in Seminole, when the kids "drag Main," and they make their turn, at I think the courthouse, the girls go around in one direction, the boys in the opposite. Maybe that's no longer the case, but that's the kind of stuff that's vitally important out this way.
I went to see a football game in Seminole in 1983 and we dragged main street. We thought it was strange only seeing girls dragging main. We finally figured out the system.

I don't think anyone drags main in small towns in West Texas anymore.

Reactions: NativeTex
Please rank Shane's three best games on the road and against teams with winning records. Please list his stat lines as well. I'll hang up and listen.

It's absurd to suggest that any one player was responsible for last season. Let's just focus on the quarterback play, though. That's what matters in this conversation, not making up things that were never said as a way of spinning your perception.
He was a bloody true freshman! Something you conveniently fail to mention. What true freshman quarterback has ever gone on the road and played well consistently? Historically speaking, not many.

Furthermore, aside from MZ being an upperclassman and perhaps more mature, he hasn't played a lot of football in the last two years.

True or not true?

Shane's not a finished product by any means, but the spring game (in a brand new offense) showed tangible growth as a quarterback. Something you yourself acknowledged.

Reactions: JinSOTEX
I'm sure that's true, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.
Historically in Seminole, when the kids "drag Main," and they make their turn, at I think the courthouse, the girls go around in one direction, the boys in the opposite. Maybe that's no longer the case, but that's the kind of stuff that's vitally important out this way.
That's how it was done in Lamesa up until around 1990, but it died out shortly before I entered high school. In my day, we hit Sonic on Friday nights. You wanted to get there early enough to park on the cool side.

Reactions: NativeTex
Wow. You just really don't think much of Shane Buechele.

Zero evidence? That's a bit extreme.
a. I think he has the upside to be an All-American. I don't know why you would say what you say. The indictment is on his play from a season ago and the uncertainty of what he brings to the table currently.

b. Very little.

You don't think Shane is that good. We get it. No one has said Shane didn't struggle in some games on the road last year. He was also playing on a horribly coached team backed up by one of the worst defenses in Texas history. That kinda matters. Why would anyone expect a true fish to overcome all that? As does him being a guy right out of high school that was asked to sink or swim and still managed To put up almost 3k and 21tds.

No is saying don't bring in a guy for depth and someone who can likely be a backup but based on what Malik has done in college to outright say he's a clearly a better option to start next year over Shane is highly premature.
You didn't do the task requested? Why not?

I think Shane can be very, very good. He wasn't very good for most of last season. Yes, injuries were a factor.

Apparently you can't separate scheme from performance.

When someone is put into a position to fail it's no shock when they do.
I guess you don't want to do it, either.

I understand why. It's ok to say it.

He was a bloody true freshman! Something you conveniently fail to mention. What true freshman quarterback has ever gone on the road and played well consistently? Historically speaking, not many.

Furthermore, aside from MZ being an upperclassman and perhaps more mature, he hasn't played a lot of football in the last two years.

True or not true?

Shane's not a finished product by any means, but the spring game (in a brand new offense) showed tangible growth as a quarterback. Something you yourself acknowledged.
You didn't do it, either.

Damn, it's almost like it's personal or something. You won't even acknowledge anything good about Shane's performance last year.
what were the good things other than the Notre Dame performance?

"Whether he had it perfect..."

Oh boy.

I never said no other coach took steps towards trying to fix it.

There was still a massive perception problem when Mack arrived and he fixed it in almost no time.

Not sure what's so difficult to understand about that...

UT's recruiting problems stemmed from uncompetitive academic requirements for athletes that the UT faculty instituted in 1983, and which were the principal factors behind the program's mediocrity from 1985-1995.

In 1997 the BOR pushed through the Gateway Program to assist student-athletes with under-developed academic skills. The Gateway Program and the alleviation of UT's uncompetitive academic requirements made it possible for Mack Brown to get Texas back into recruiting hotbeds that had been closed by academic concerns.

Reactions: Fansong77
UT's recruiting problems stemmed from uncompetitive academic requirements for athletes that the UT faculty instituted in 1983, and which were the principal factors behind the program's mediocrity from 1985-1995.

In 1997 the BOR pushed through the Gateway Program to assist student-athletes with under-developed academic skills. The Gateway Program and the alleviation of UT's uncompetitive academic requirements made it possible for Mack Brown to get Texas back into recruiting hotbeds that had been closed by academic concerns.
That was certainly some of it, but there was more to it than that.

Former UT Basketball Assistant and Player Chris Ogden was also out of Seminole TX, Texas Mr. Basketball in 1999....just a little fun fact

Reactions: Holy Cow
a. I think he has the upside to be an All-American. I don't know why you would say what you say. The indictment is on his play from a season ago and the uncertainty of what he brings to the table currently.

b. Very little.
I know you've said part a, but I think I (we) almost have to remind you that youve said that. Your rhetoric or rather, your tone towards Shane makes it hard to discern that you actually think SB can be an all American.

I understand you're trying to be honest about Shane's performance last year which admittedly was uneven.

BUT, he was NOT the reason Texas only won 5 games. Can I get a confirmation on that?

No one said anyone was hostile to inner-city blacks. Texas had a reputation problem. No single coach or two coaches were responsible. It was an institution issue.
I imagine the coach most responsible for the "Texas is racist" perception would have been none other than Barry Switzer.

Carney-Lansford.jpg

giphy.gif

Reactions: ScoutMLM
You didn't do the task requested? Why not?

I think Shane can be very, very good. He wasn't very good for most of last season. Yes, injuries were a factor.
I think I fully acknowledged Shane wasn't that great in some road games last year. Posting on a phone at work here. I know you likely have his games ready to post.

You seem to totally cast off the coaching staff, system and horrible defense as being legitimate roadblocks to a true freshman coming in and setting the world on fire which doesn't make sense imo. Shane still put up numbers most anyone would consider at least decent for a guy right out of high school with bad coaching.

If you had said Texas needs to bring in more depth at QB and that guy should be allowed
To compete I don't think anyone would take issue with that but you're flat saying if Malik comes he IS a better option to be UTs starter next year and the numbers don't really show that is some clear manner

what were the good things other than the Notre Dame performance?
Played well against UTEP.

He got hurt vs Cal, but was certainly better than Swoopes in that game. That was a bit incomplete.

He played solid against OK State. He and the offense did their part in the first half, and they stalled in the second half when Foreman and Warren got hurt. Threw a pick in his own territory, but recall that was some poor play calling with runs on 1st and 2nd down and then an inexplicable pass play called on 3rd and long if my memory is correct.

Was good/solid in games vs OU, Iowa State, Baylor and Tech. Not great, but good, steady performances. There were a lot of drops vs Tech. Good enough to win vs OU imo - offense put up 40 points. Threw several long bombs.

Uneven in games vs Kansas State, West Virginia - some good and bad. Remember the dropped pass in the end zone vs Kansas State that might've won them the game late?

Moved the ball well against WV, but the offense couldn't score touchdowns. Threw for 300 yards.

That's not accounting for dropped passes, questionable playcalling at times and this maddening practice of not throwing over the middle of the field, in addition to a limited and simple passing game, not properly utilizing some of his strengths, even as a true freshman.

Kansas and TCU - he played poorly. No sugarcoating that. He threw three picks vs Kansas, but DF also fumbled three times. Regardless, those were poor performances.

Did I mention that he also played hurt and gutted it out and never complained?

Rebuttal I'm sure is coming my way.

Last edited:
Played good against UTEP.
He had no other quality games in your mind after Norte Dame, even in games Texas lost?

He got hurt vs Cal, but was certainly better than Swoopes in that game. That was a bit incomplete.

He played solid against OK State. He and the offense did their part in the first half, and they stalled in the second half when Foreman and Warren got hurt. Threw a pick in his own territory, but recall that was some poor play calling with runs and 1st and 2nd down and then an inexplicable pass play called on 3rd and long if my memory is correct.

Was good/solid in games vs OU, Iowa State, Baylor and Tech. Not great but good, steady performances. There were a lot of drops vs Tech.

Uneven in games vs Kansas State, West Virginia - some good and bad. Remember the dropped pass in the end zone vs Kansas State that might've won them the game late?

Moved the ball well against WV, but they could score touchdowns. Threw for 300 yards.

That's not accounting for dropped passes, questionable playcalling at times and this maddening practice of not throwing over the middle of the field, in addition to a limited and simple passing game, not properly utilizing some of his strengths, even as a true freshman.

Kansas and TCU - he played poorly. No sugarcoating that. He threw three picks vs Kansas, but DF also fumbled three times. Regardless, those were poor performance.

great post

Please rank Shane's three best games on the road and against teams with winning records. Please list his stat lines as well. I'll hang up and listen.
Only had 2 road games against teams that ended up with winning records, so I threw in OU.

OU
19 of 36 (53%) for 245 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT

K State
17 of 24 (71%) for 222 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

OSU
21 of 33 (64%) for 239 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT

Played well against UTEP.

He played solid against OK State. He and the offense did their part in the first half, and they stalled in the second half when Foreman and Warren got hurt. Threw a pick in his own territory, but recall that was some poor play calling with runs on 1st and 2nd down and then an inexplicable pass play called on 3rd and long if my memory is correct.

Was good/solid in games vs OU, Iowa State, Baylor and Tech. Not great, but good, steady performances. There were a lot of drops vs Tech. Good enough to win vs OU imo - offense put up 40 points. Threw several long bombs.

Moved the ball well against WV, but the offense couldn't score touchdowns. Threw for 300 yards.

Kansas and TCU - he played poorly. No sugarcoating that. He threw three picks vs Kansas, but DF also fumbled three times. Regardless, those were poor performances.

Yeah, that wasn't really what I asked for.

Rank the top three games on the road and against ranked teams in order with stats.

Once you do that, I feel like you'll understand (or not) where I'm coming from.

Only had 2 road games against teams that ended up with winning records, so I threw in OU.

OU
19 of 36 (53%) for 245 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT

K State
17 of 24 (71%) for 222 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

OSU
21 of 33 (64%) for 239 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT
That's not really what I asked for, but we're getting closer.

That's not really what I asked for, but we're getting closer.
Yeah, huh? That's EXACTLY what you asked for. See below.

"Please rank Shane's three best games on the road and against teams with winning records. Please list his stat lines as well. I'll hang up and listen."

Edit: Ok so you want two lists? Come on man. I gave you three games on the "road" against teams with winning records, which is a better indicator than 3 games on the road AND three games against teams with winning records.

Put it this way, Shane is like pool. Started of strong then faded down the stretch.

Reactions: KatyKid
ADVERTISEMENT