ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Chris Beard is a bad man...)

Another one I need to add to my list. Have never seen it.

The Usual Suspects was a great ending. A kind of under the radar movie that I would put on that list is The Last Seduction. Great movie, crazy ending.
Jason has seen a movie that I haven't? Wuuuuut?

Reactions: Tx Tailgator
I see absolutely no reason to think that your comments about the football team being years away is correct. I expect an apology column to the coaches and the players at the end of next season.
as in 2021?

Hard to argue with any of those in the Top 10.

McLovin's Honorable Mentions:
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- A River Runs Through It
- Monty Python The Life of Brian
- Point Break
- The Silence of the Lambs
Three of those were very close to making the list.

Gawd!! No. Probably one of the only movies I can think of that I will never ever watch again. (not saying it was bad .. but no, I will not watch it a second time - I will turn the channel if it's on somewhere).
I'm ashamed to say how many times I've seen it.

Loved Inception, but I'd switch it out for 'Planet of the Apes' (1968 version).
Another great call. Probably should have made the list, but I just don't like the movie all that much.

Never thought I would read a quote like this from your post today about UT Hoops:

"You'll likely see some line-ups where everyone on the floor can shoot better than 30-percent from three-point range and at least 73-percent from the free throw line. If this team makes the extra pass consistently, a good shooter is going to get a very good look a lot of the time."

If we can put a team on the floor with 4 legit shooters, real PG and our big man & hit our FT's...we will compete for the #1 seed. Simple.

Hit jumps hots, handle the rock, hit FT's and you get to the Final Four. Have any major weakness and you will be exposed in the tourney. Always has been this way. Especially for UT Hoops.

BTW, you are correct about the Bucks/Suns series. Incredible team play. Almost zero iso and Giannis is becoming a damn good passer. Go look at the 3 point stats from the last game on both teams. Off the charts good.

I cannot believe Portland is going to trade Lilliard. Why? Especially, with a new coach like Billups.
Phoenix is the first team in NBA history shoot 55-percent from three and 60-percent from the floor and lose a playoff game.

'Not a game in the Finals... any playoff game ever.

Crazy.

Reactions: srl
Bull.

If the fat sweaty man in Fort Worth, Matt Rhule, and Matt Campbel can take TCU, Baylor and Iowa State to the Big 12 championship with a bunch of nobodies, then we’ve done something wrong if Sark and this coaching staff can’t take Texas there.
It's not that he can't take them there. It's that it might not happen in year one.

Reactions: Juarez Your Problem
Going 8-4 would be just more of the same. Losing to less talented teams and getting out coached.
Are most of these teams really less talented?

I've spent a decade trying to explain to you guys that once you get beyond the top tiers in recruiting, which Texas has only a handful of players from, the talent in a mid-four star, low four star, high three star and mid four star isn't much different when it comes to developing into NFL players.

Reactions: Uncut Degenerate
Only two? OK two of FB, BsktBall, BaseBall. But what about those other Longhorn teams that were either winners or runnerups. Or waay close. Hook'em. By the way, Ketch, don't put me in the group that only counts the TOP 3 Longhorn Teams as the only ones that are important. :>)
Oh, if we're talking about any and all programs, the number is much higher.

Who has more talent in the Big 12 than Texas? Good coaching is supposed to maximize your roster’s potential. Did we hire a great coaching staff or not? It’s not delusional to expect that. It’s the reason we made the change.
If we're talking developed talent, Oklahoma and Iowa State by a margin.

Damn the hurdles. Damn the lack of national importance in the last decade. Damn needing to do something on the court before elite recruits take the Longhorns seriously. What we're watching right now is what happens when all gas and no brakes is boosted by nitrous oxide.

To put all of this in some kind of context, you need to understand that not even Mack Brown did this. While the Longhorns did sign the nation's No.1 recruiting class in Brown's first full recruiting class in 1999 and signed a respectable group 12 months prior to that, it took Ricky Williams winning the Heisman and the Longhorns snapping Nebraska's home winning streak before the momentum started bringing in the likes of Chris Simms and Cory Redding.

In the summer of 1998, Brown was so sure that he'd have minimal recruiting before signing day that he was handing out offers and accepting commitments from tryouts off the street at his first summer camp in an effort to fill a 25-man class.

In comparing Beard to Brown, the two biggest differences is Beard had national skins on the wall AND was not a complete stranger to Texas HS talent when he arrived. He's already proven himself to be an outstanding coach which is why he's managed to quickly get Texas back near or at the top in fierce in-state battles the likes of which Shaka was simply overmatched and really had become non-factor outside of the flukey run of of CenTex 5-stars.

Three quick thoughts...

... This team can shoot the basketball. You'll likely see some line-ups where everyone on the floor can shoot better than 30-percent from three-point range and at least 73-percent from the free throw line. If this team makes the extra pass consistently, a good shooter is going to get a very good look a lot of the time.

... The addition of Carr really filled the last void on the roster. Texas now has an All-America level point guard to control the game. We're talking about a player capable of dropping 30 on the opposition on any night.

... That's some kind of bench to work with. It has a scoring sixth-man, a do it all wing, a couple of glue guys and a young freshman ace to change a game every once in a while.

... The Longhorns have a back-up point guard who started 20 games as a freshman at Kentucky last year and it feels like he might be the No. 8 or No. 9 player on this team.

My first thought in general is this is simply a roster DEEP DEEP DEEP in rock solid players with a sh*tload of CBB experience.

Reactions: srl
No. 5 - Just a little something to file away with regards to Arch Manning...

Steve Sarkisian has the Longhorns in a very good spot, but there are two things that are really interesting in the midst of everyone in burnt orange feeling really good about his recruitment.

a. Clemson feels really good about its chances.

b. So does Alabama.

In speaking with multiple sources with Alabama connections this week, I get the sense that the Alabama staff likes where it sits in that recruitment, even if it isn't currently positioned by most as a favorite.

It's hard to imagine that this is close to over.

Agree with all that. Quite honestly, even IF by some miracle there's a commitment to Texas prior to September, it's hard to believe that will be a solid one until we show legit stuff during the season. I know I've said the Mannings are business-like in their approach and once a commit was made it would likely stick, but I think an early commit to Texas would be FAR more volatile than say one to either Bama or Clemson.

In comparing Beard to Brown, the two biggest differences is Beard had national skins on the wall AND was not a complete stranger to Texas HS talent when he arrived. He's already proven himself to be an outstanding coach which is why he's managed to quickly get Texas back near or at the top in fierce in-state battles the likes of which Shaka was simply overmatched and really had become non-factor outside of the flukey run of of CenTex 5-stars.
If Mack could have had it to do all over again, who would he hire instead of Chambers from the HS world?

Reactions: RLong68
Agree with all that. Quite honestly, even IF by some miracle there's a commitment to Texas prior to September, it's hard to believe that will be a solid one until we show legit stuff during the season. I know I've said the Mannings are business-like in their approach and once a commit was made it would likely stick, but I think an early commit to Texas would be FAR more volatile than say one to either Bama or Clemson.
1,000-percent agreed.

Were this 95-percent of the college football universe, an 8-4 or 9-3 season would represent a first-year season to feel good about and verification that the people in charge of the program were the right people
No doubt we have high expectations. But how many coaches have come in behind a fired coach that had a 7-3 record the year prior? My guess is the list is really short, most are taking over programs that are in the dumps. As you point out Texas is already a good football team. Why shouldn't we expect improvement over last year's 70% winning percentage?

but it also may take more time to get there than anyone on Orangebloods wants to think about.

It might take two years before this program is ready to compete for a conference title and it might be a couple of classes away before it has the momentum needed on the field to overcome 10 years of slop.

^^^ The Longhorn Universe needs a double shot of this.

Seems like with Beard, it all comes down to team chemistry this coming season. Can he make this incipient all-star team sync?

My, how far we’ve come since Dec. 31.

Funny you say that because he randomly popped into my head yesterday when thinking about recruiting. That dude was very good on the Texas 247 beat. Would be a great hire.
I hope we get E.J. Holland. He is very good at what he does.
I do recall that he moved up North due to his wife having a commitment.
If he can work remotely, we should grab him if possible.

No doubt we have high expectations. But how many coaches have come in behind a fired coach that had a 7-3 record the year prior? My guess is the list is really short, most are taking over programs that are in the dumps. As you point out Texas is already a good football team. Why shouldn't we expect improvement over last year's 70% winning percentage?
I understand, but that 7-3 team lost some incredibly key pieces, primarily quarterback, left tackle and pass rusher/best player on defense.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT