ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Coaching update, Sam's meeting with Tom and more...)

A loss is a loss in the NBA. The score doesn’t matter. Once saw the lakers lose game one of the finals by 34 and then win four of the next 5. It’s more about how you respond to the Loss than the loss itself In Basketball.

Rich BMDs didn’t get rich loosely spending their money. They pay for quality. If UM is available you give a blank check. Not so much for a lower tier coach.

What part of this are you not getting?:
Make no mistake about it, the talk among BMDs (big money donors) is that change is on the way, come hell or high water. The talk is emphatic, defiant and cocksure.

Reactions: drunk randoke
Hardin hire is a good move by Auburn. And Elliott could be a good move for Texas.

But, I continue to wonder how long it's been since we saw a healthy Sam.
Sorry, but we’ve heard that for what seems like 10 years now. At some point you are what your record says you are. Love the dude...but it’s time to move on.

What’s Herman doing in 5 years IYO

ComplexImmenseAssassinbug-max-1mb.gif

... All it took for me to get into the Dallas game and root for a win was to see DeSean Jackson clowning on the Cowboys in the first quarter. Anger activated. Draft position be damned.

======================================================================

Among the certainties of life is that DeSean Jackson is a clown.

Reactions: harrylime
Not for me.
When Gus was fired I asked an Auburn fan who might not be BMD but who I think gives a decent amount to Auburn football what he thought about our pursuing Malzahn. He said, "You could do worse. Competing against Nicky is tough. I'd still look elsewhere."

He always comments in understatement unlike many comments by OBers here. I take that as a No Go suggestion.

You’ve made that clear in every thread you post in. It’s going to be fun to remind you how poor of a read you had on the situation when he’s fired in the next couple of weeks.
If so it will likely be the only thing fun that has happened this entire season.

I'm coming around Elliott for the very reasons why Urban isn't keen on the college game. The dude is all about the hustle and this sport is about to be a serious hustle.

It's hard for me to come up with names because this has to be based in some sort of reality.

I suppose Kelly would be right up there because he's a guarantee on the box.
A few weeks ago you posted a list of your top 5 "realistic" (I believe that was the term, or something close) possible HC replacements...I know you had Harsin on it, and I think Elliot was on it. I want to say the other 3 were Franklin, Campbell, and Sarkisian.

Harsin is now off the table. Assuming a change gets made, do you believe the next HC is going to be one of the remaining 4?

A few weeks ago you posted a list of your top 5 "realistic" (I believe that was the term, or something close) possible HC replacements...I know you had Harsin on it, and I think Elliot was on it. I want to say the other 3 were Franklin, Campbell, and Sarkisian.

Harsin is now off the table. Assuming a change gets made, do you believe the next HC is going to be one of the remaining 4?
I never assume anyone at Texas thinks remotely like I do.

When Gus was fired I asked an Auburn fan who might not be BMD but who I think gives a decent amount to Auburn football what he thought about our pursuing Malzahn. He said, "You could do worse. Competing against Nicky is tough. I'd still look elsewhere."

He always comments in understatement unlike many comments by OBers here. I take that as a No Go suggestion.
Texas could do worse. That I 100-percent agree with.

I never assume anyone at Texas thinks remotely like I do.
Do you remember the article I am referring to? Was this the 5 "realistic" candidates that you most preferred, or the ones you thought UT was looking at?

I still favor Mario Cristobal, but I guess that ship has sailed. I also think Texas will regret it.

There was nothing better in the 80’s than hearing Hall and Oates in the video game arcade while blasting shit up on Stargate, Robotron and Tempest...good times.
That must have been EARLY 80s.
Correct...the glory years of the arcade era. Hall and Oates were monsters at that time. Really miss those days sometimes...

Of course. For pre-teens/teens, being able to go to the arcade was a rite of passage. Not to mention it was the place to score Earth, Wind & Fire tix.

SOL for BOC tix though

Reactions: DrothmanII
I really liked the Harsin hire.

They were one Harsin second-guess away from a complete and total disaster. @RLong68 seems to believe talk of other offers was all smoke but respected guys like Thamel and Feldman reported that Napier and Venables turned down the job, among others. I don’t know what direction they would have gone if they missed on Harsin.

that’s the risk.

Texas should no better than anyone in the country now that you do not want a Charlie Strong. I’m fully convinced Mack would have had a better record 2014 through 2016.

Hook Em

They were one Harsin second-guess away from a complete and total disaster. @RLong68 seems to believe talk of other offers was all smoke but respected guys like Thamel and Feldman reported that Napier and Venables turned down the job, among others. I don’t know what direction they would have gone if they missed on Harsin.

that’s the risk.

Texas should no better than anyone in the country now that you do not want a Charlie Strong. I’m fully convinced Mack would have had a better record 2014 through 2016.

Hook Em

LOL. I mean, it's always just to spin thing. I never said Harsin was or wasn't Auburn's first choice. I simply said you can't believe every single report of Coach So and So turning down a job. We don't know who did or didn't get a legit offer. I mean, just because Auburn has the nerve to inquire about a HC services or even interview a HC, it doesn't mean they were "offered" the f'n job.

LOL. I mean, it's always just to spin thing. I never said Harsin was or wasn't Auburn's first choice. I simply said you can't believe every single report of Coach So and So turning down a job. We don't know who did or didn't get a legit offer. I mean, just because Auburn has the nerve to inquire about a HC services or even interview a HC, it doesn't mean they were "offered" the f'n job.

In my opinion there is a difference between what Auburn247 or Football Scoop or random Twitter guy reports, and Thamel and Feldman,who are usually pretty nails on this stuff Hook Em

I'm coming around Elliott for the very reasons why Urban isn't keen on the college game. The dude is all about the hustle and this sport is about to be a serious hustle.

Thinking outside the box, ie no established P5 head coach, Elliott is an intriguing prospect. I probably wouldn't pass on either Kelly or Campbell for Elliott. But, after those guys, I hope the powers that be take a hard look at him. College football is rapidly evolving and, like it or not, if UT wants to get back to being elite, it needs to evolve as well. He may be the best option to compete in the maket that is coming as opposed to what has been. Kelly is a good organizer and a pramatist and I expect that he will also adapt well. However, a younger man may be better suited to lead the effort.

Reactions: horns--21
In my opinion there is a difference between what Auburn247 or Football Scoop or random Twitter guy reports, and Thamel and Feldman,who are usually pretty nails on this stuff Hook Em

And exactly what did either report? Did EITHER say Coach So and So was OFFERED the job?

I don't know if it hurts or helps our program long term if Sam returns. We need to let the others grow up to keep the recruiting of QBs going. If Sam was a Trevor Lawrence, I would have a different opinion. But for two seasons in a row, he has been hit or miss on many games. Its probably why he entertains coming back. His resume still needs work. Are we as a program better off with another hit or miss year while not allowing the others to develop and play? I don't know the answer but I do wonder.

Reactions: Nac1
Do you remember the article I am referring to? Was this the 5 "realistic" candidates that you most preferred, or the ones you thought UT was looking at?

I still favor Mario Cristobal, but I guess that ship has sailed. I also think Texas will regret it.
Oh, of course. But, Tony Elliott is a perfect example of someone that I would look at that Texas will never look at right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT