ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Coaching update, Sam's meeting with Tom and more...)

So Texas has one of the smallest swinging peckers in cfb now? Things have changed dramatically in the past 10 years. UM family laughing at Texas pursuit now? Embarrassing

Reactions: dzsmvk
Lukewarm is a good description of my sense of this program. Or as Yeshua of Nazareth said So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. Herman and the Athletic Department have made too many mistakes in the last few years.

Lukewarm is a good description of my sense of this program. Or as Yeshua of Nazareth said So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. Herman and the Athletic Department have made too many mistakes in the last decade.
FIFY

The BMD don't have to actually get anything done. They can rant and rave and bitch and moan.

Urban didn't get closed.

I believe the slight disconnect between BMDs and CDC is that CDC understands that making a hire that represents a clear upgrade over Herman (complete with positive optics) is much tougher to accomplish than it is to talk about or wish for.

At the end of the day, I just don't believe CDC is going to fire Herman without his upgrade being more than guesswork.

That could absolutely still happen. Absolutely. I just don't think it's a layup.

“At the end of the day, CDC should not fire Herman without his upgrade being more than guesswork.”

Is how that sentence should read Hook Em

“Pull an Auburn?” You mean fire an underperforming HC and replace him with a rock solid hire?
That's not quite the way that expression is perceived.

You and I might see it that way. What Texas sees is a situation where the school embarrassed itself in public in many fashions, only to end up spending tens of millions so that it could land a solid hire that is less proven than the hire it had in a lot of ways.

That's not quite the way that expression is perceived.

You and I might see it that way. What Texas sees is a situation where the school embarrassed itself in public in many fashions, only to end up spending tens of millions so that it could land a solid hire that is less proven than the hire it had in a lot of ways.

Typical Texas. You know who the only people concerned with the optics of the Auburn search are Texas folks. Meanwhile, Harsin and Auburn are full speed ahead while Texas is trying to figure out how to get a little bit pregnant.

Meanwhile, the rhetoric coming out of the athletic department is less emphatic. My highest-level sourcing is somewhere in between, meaning that depending on the day and the source, the confidence level can range anywhere between 3 and 10.

Not surprising. CDC is not a guy who really desires to fire a HC. I'm sure he has spent the last couple of weeks or so selling Mensa and '21 to whomever.

Reactions: Millshorns2019
d. The Urban Meyer stuff is tough to get a handle on. There continues to be an expectation that the Longhorns will go after Meyer with an improved gameplan or offer, but ironclad details have been tough to come by. In talking with sources connected to Meyer's family on Sunday, there was laughter about the persistence of the Texas pursuit. Frankly, the folks in Ohio would be so shocked to see Meyer end up at Texas that the entire state would take it as a sign of the apocalypse. The NFL speculation this weekend is being taken more seriously than Texas when talking to non-Texas sources. Pay attention to anything YahooSports' Pete Thamel reports in the coming days.

LOL. Texas literally has become Lola in Copacabana.
BTW, I would also pay attention to anything @jshorn drops in the coming days.

* Improve his NFL draft stock with a second season under the care of Mike Yurcich and come out in a year when there aren't potentially 10 quarterbacks ranked ahead of him.

Year 5 isn't going to show us anything different from years 1-4. Jeezus, if you are a FOUR year starting QB and still regarding as "meh" by the scouts then year 5 won't change anything appreciably.

Reactions: dtarver
(Buy) It's just a game.

Don't underestimate the weakness of CDC. Not to mention history. Of the five previous HCs we've had since DKR, FOUR of them were canned with records of 5-6, 5-6, 4-7 & 5-6. Only Mack had a winning mark when he "resigned/fired." If Mensa finishes 8-3 including a 4th straight bowl win, rest assured that's something CDC is going to be selling as much as possible to people.

Typical Texas. You know who the only people concerned with the optics of the Auburn search are Texas folks. Meanwhile, Harsin and Auburn are full speed ahead while Texas is trying to figure out how to get a little bit pregnant.
I really liked the Harsin hire.

Reactions: horns--21
(Sell) I don't sense that the people in the program believe he's going to be THAT good.

Kansas or not, he showed out well as a true frosh. FWIW, I don't trust the people in the program for sh*t. So there's that.

Year 5 isn't going to show us anything different from years 1-4. Jeezus, if you are a FOUR year starting QB and still regarding as "meh" by the scouts then year 5 won't change anything appreciably.
I agree.

Kansas or not, he showed out well as a true frosh. FWIW, I don't trust the people in the program for sh*t. So there's that.
;)

Christian Jones being the projected left tackle from those behind the scenes was a pauser for me, but you may be right.

... This needs to be a reality TV show.

One of the trainers for Chris Johnson Hoops is a a guy by the name of Cory Smith. Played at Concordia. My kid trained with him for a time at WAYA as part of TJ Ford Austin. Great guy.

No. 9 - The List: Hall and Oates

I've been on a huge Hall and Oates kick over the course of the last few weeks. In fact, after decades of listing "Maneater" as my top choice, I've decided a change must be made.

10. Kiss on My List
9. I Can't Go For That
8. Say It Isn't So
7. Private Eyes
6. One on One
5. Rich Girl
4. You Make My Dreams (Come True)
3. She's Gone
2. Maneater
1. Sara Smile

Impressed you had a Hall and Oates list. IMO, Maneater is a bit high for my taste. Understand it was a massive hit but give me She's Gone every day over Maneater. Kiss On My List also (too low). BTW, have you ever done a Bee Gees list? If you haven't seen their documentary (How can you mend a broken heart) currently on HBO then you should run.

Sure starting to sound more and more that CDC is not up for the job of a big time program... I hope the BMD continue to apply the pressure....

@Ketchum why is CDC so hell bent on bringing Herman back?

Where have you been the last 20 months? ;)

With us having hard times in recruiting, Whatever happened to Bryan Carrington? I thought he was going be our ace in the hole for securing top players in the State.

LOL. At some point there's only so much a department gofer can do when your program isn't sh*t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT