ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Evaluating Herman's first (almost) 500 days...)

... Academy Award winner Kobe Bryant. Take that Mike.

You gotta admit that was completely inconsistent with the whole #metoo movement in Hollywood over the months since Weinstein was exposed, so to speak. They're against sexual assault and harrassment, except when they're not.

Really good column Ketch.

Reactions: Ppranger86
c. Aggressiveness: Herman hates field goals and he really hates field goals once the offense has taken the ball inside the opponent's 10-yard line. There was a lot of discussion about the binder that Herman would reference when discussing his decisions to go for it on fourth downs, which on occasion meant that the Longhorns left points on the field. If calling a football game was a game of blackjack in Vegas, Herman would always be the guy that hits on 16. Some people are always going to tell Herman to take three points, but I'd offer that he subscribes to the Doug Pederson School of Aggressiveness. Personally, I like it.

The issue I have with this super aggressive go for it all the time approach is Herman simply didn't have the offensive personnel or brilliant play-caller to be successful with this strategy. He went for it while ignoring the flaws built into his team's offense.

Sure his magic chart might work out if you have the 05 Texas or 05 USC offense, or Tom Brady or Carson Wentz at QB, but he failed to re-calibrate the chart for the 2017 version of the Texas offense. If he had, the chart would have told him to take points in most cases because your offense has only a 5% chance of converting 4th and goal from the 5 yard line.

@Ketchum Excellent thoughts about our sports programs. A prime example of your best work! You had me rereading it several times instead of my usual speed read.

Purple Rain and Prince's music in general has aged better than Thriller and MJ's music.

On a side note while Purple Rain was Prince's biggest commercial success. Most hardcore Prince fans consider Sign O' the Times his unquestioned best album.

Biased? I thought he played it straight down the middle last night.

First of all, if anyone thinks the entertainment industry is not bias needs to pull their head out of the sand. Of course they are. They all live in NY and LA. What do you expect.
Second of all, this year is the year of women in this industry and at least they are doing their best to actually drain the swamp, not just talk about it. So, yes Kimmel and others
talked about it soooo much it became stale. But hey, women have suffered a ton and deserve this year. The show was capped off by Kimmel saying he wished he was a woman...not sure why.

I heard little to no political banter from anyone so I view the overall show as Ketch says, very down the middle for the entertainment industry.

As for best pic winner. I personally thought Shape of Water was a stupid and somewhat demeaning to women. Why does a woman have sex with a sea lizard anyways? Loved the acting
by Mr Jenkins who was nominated, but the rest of the cast including Shannon were weak at best and the story was lame. IMO, Billboards, LadyBird, Phantom and Get Out were all
much better movies by far.

As for hoops, best game of the season since our early days at Duke and Gonzaga. It sure is odd we dont have any really good specific updates on Bamba's foot or Davis coming back. What gives??

Personally, MJ music sux. Dude is a creep and a pedo. Ever since he got charged the first time, I will never allow his music in my house or car. Guy is a criminal and hurt children, why anyone celebrates
this guys music is beyond my comprehension.

Clearly I disagree on that point. It hasn't been (the lack of) D Linemen that kept Texas in the land of suck for ~ 12 years.

For the record, the way you rate QBs as Job 1, I rate QB and OL as coequal Job 1. Without OL, you really never have a successful QB, notwithstanding Colt McCoy's ability to get rid of the ball in .5 seconds. No other QB has ever managed the feat, and none will (and it was still the limiting factor on Colt's teams). It's a stupid idea to even try, IMO, and was born of necessity, not strategy or anything like being optimum football.

No offense intended by my comments. Again for the record, I rank DL just behind OL in importance, so it's not like we have a complete disagreement. We have near-agreement. :)

(And where you can get by with a semi-cohesive or accomplished D-Line overall, an OL has to be successful as a group; 1 weak link can spoil the entire play of the unit, even when it's a different player each play).
Texas played fora national title in 2009 with great quarterback play, a dominant defensive line and a shitty offensive line.

You gotta admit that was completely inconsistent with the whole #metoo movement in Hollywood over the months since Weinstein was exposed, so to speak. They're against sexual assault and harrassment, except when they're not.

Really good column Ketch.
Kobe wasn't the only one with a checkered past accepting a trophy last night. Inconsistencies are as mainstream as it gets.

Reactions: MauiHorn
The issue I have with this super aggressive go for it all the time approach is Herman simply didn't have the offensive personnel or brilliant play-caller to be successful with this strategy. He went for it while ignoring the flaws built into his team's offense.

Sure his magic chart might work out if you have the 05 Texas or 05 USC offense, or Tom Brady or Carson Wentz at QB, but he failed to re-calibrate the chart for the 2017 version of the Texas offense. If he had, the chart would have told him to take points in most cases because your offense has only a 5% chance of converting 4th and goal from the 5 yard line.
Fair point.

Reactions: Buda Horn
As for best pic winner. I personally thought Shape of Water was a stupid and somewhat demeaning to women. Why does a woman have sex with a sea lizard anyways?
Because men are awful at every turn?

Note: I apologize to all men who are offended at the acknowledgment of so many terrible ones.

Hell yeah. Wife got me a record player for my wedding gift. Have a nice collection building. I didn't believe people who used to say it sounds different in a good way, but it does.
You little hipster.

Christopher Walken walked out and got a standing O. Hell yeah.

I was hoping he was going to say, "Need more cowbells!"

So,it's Texas and Baylor in the Big 12 women's Tournament final?

*gulp*

I'll watch, but I don't know for how long. After the win at Baylor, I thought Texas was finally going to depose the monster -- guess not.

At the same time, there are areas that need improvement

Like making sure the right personnel go with the right play call? Your earlier points were spot on.

Hook 'em!!!

Because men are awful at every turn?

Note: I apologize to all men who are offended at the acknowledgment of so many terrible ones.

Not sure what you are asking. Your point is about the movie or about Hollywood? If the movie, this thing was made 2 years ago or more. I don't think that was
their intentional message.

No host is better than Ricky Gervais. He will call anyone and everyone out to the point where it is truly uncomfortable but true.

Reactions: McLovin327
I was hoping he was going to say, "Need more cowbells!"

I'll watch, but I don't know for how long. After the win at Baylor, I thought Texas was finally going to depose the monster -- guess not.

Like making sure the right personnel go with the right play call? Your earlier points were spot on.

Hook 'em!!!
latest

Texas played fora national title in 2009 with great quarterback play, a dominant defensive line and a shitty offensive line.

You don't imagine either that I'm unaware of that fact, OR that it is a historical anomaly that I take pains to address in my post, at least by implication, YES?

Come on @Ketchum, it's not about winning a debate, it's about a reasonable and optimum approach to building a successful football program. SMDH.

You advocate building a football program with a shitty O Line. Good luck with that. Even 5 year olds are going to roll their eyes at that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT