Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Evaluating Herman's first (almost) 500 days...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
The first concert I ever attended was Prince at the Erwin Center, January 29th, 1985. I wasn't old enough to drive so my best friend and I had to convince my older brother to take us. My brother had a bit of Chet from Weird Science in him. He said, "Ok but you have to pay for me and my girlfriend, you guys sit in the back seat and aren't allowed to say a word on the ride there and back."

Prince in his prime. Still the best concert I've ever seen.

From the Erwin Center 1985:
princeerwincenter30jan1985byjaygodwin.jpg

From the Summit in Houston 1985:
rawImage.jpg
giphy.gif

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
I think MJ was a fantastic entertainer, but Thriller, along with most of his music, was tied to music videos. When you think Thriller, you think of the historic 14-minute video and dancing monsters. When you think of Beat It, it's about the choreography in a pool hall. When you think Billie Jean, it's about the sidewalk lighting up on every step, or his Motown performance of the song. We don't really think of how great the song was musically, which is why most of us prefer to play Prince over MJ nowadays.

MJ is a cultural icon who directly paved the way for Prince. Everyone knows that.

However, Purple Rain is the better music album.

drunk randoke

Keep your Horns raised high and proud. JimsTexas
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2004
Comanche County, Texas
Let's hear the argument.

I would offer that When Doves Cry and Billie Jean cancel each other out. So does "The Beautiful Ones and PYT.

Give me Darling Nikki over Human Nature.

Purple Rain the song smashes Thriller.

Let's Go Crazy stands taller than Beat It.

I haven't even mentioned I Would Die For You or Computer Blue. One banger after another.
Am I an old? I literally have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

BOLIO

Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Well, @Ketchum is correct on this one. Prince > MJ. One was an all time great musician and one was an all time great entertainer. But Ketch is right...about this. Other stuff, not so much. :)

McLovin327

Newsletter Editor
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2005
I think MJ was a fantastic entertainer, but Thriller, along with most of his music, was tied to music videos. When you think Thriller, you think of the historic 14-minute video and dancing monsters. When you think of Beat It, it's about the choreography in a pool hall. When you think Billie Jean, it's about the sidewalk lighting up on every step, or his Motown performance of the song. We don't really think of how great the song was musically, which is why most of us prefer to play Prince over MJ nowadays.

MJ is a cultural icon who directly paved the way for Prince. Everyone knows that.

However, Purple Rain is the better music album.
Bro hug headed your way Anwar. Both are great, just in very different ways.

I think of MJ as an entertainer and his MTV videos are among the greatest ever. An 80's icon beyond just music.

Prince was a musician and an artist through and through (BTW, a spectacular entertainer in his own right). MJ can't touch Prince's qualities as a musician.

Oh, and Prince didn't molest little boys.

99TexasEx

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Here's a reason it MIGHT go to Mo, and that is because of mo(mentum). See what I did there?

DeBrunye has scored one goal since 12/16. Since then he's added six assists(three coming in one game against Leicester).

Mo has scored 11 goals and five five assists in that same period. He's scored in 8 of the last 9 and simply been on fire. Clearly some good cases to be made, and the best player on the best team is always a solid one, but sometimes voters are also swayed by recent results.

Still some time to go and that could change either direction.

Mo is amazing but isn't he interchangeably special? The score/assist numbers for Kane and Aguero suggest that a capable striker at this age and stage in their career would succeed on that team in that system assuming the same contribution of everyone that plays behind them on the pitch.

In American football terms we are comparing 2 star WRs that play up top and are on the receiving end of someone else's work in the last 40% of the field to the work of a star QB/OL/DL/LB/K that plays 75% of the field and more minutes on a team full of talent that has been riddled with injuries this season.

They are all stars and any of the 3 winning shouldn't surprise anyone. Great season of football so far!

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

I think of MJ as an entertainer and his MTV videos are among the greatest ever. An 80's icon beyond just music.

Prince was a musician and an artist through and through (BTW, a spectacular entertainer in his own right). MJ can't touch Prince's qualities as a musician.

I'm not making a negative claim against Mike's music. He made historic pop music. I just find Purple Rain to be truly special.

pied

RIP meroney04
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Mo is amazing but isn't he interchangeably special? The score/assist numbers for Kane and Aguero suggest that a capable striker at this age and stage in their career would succeed on that team in that system assuming the same contribution of everyone that plays behind them on the pitch.

In American football terms we are comparing 2 star WRs that play up top and are on the receiving end of someone else's work in the last 40% of the field to the work of a star QB/OL/DL/LB/K that plays 75% of the field and more minutes on a team full of talent that has been riddled with injuries this season.

They are all stars and any of the 3 winning shouldn't surprise anyone. Great season of football so far!

I'm out at comparing Aguero/Kane/Salah to 2* Wrs.

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014

You are correct. I read something online comparing the two albums and if said if both musicians were on a desert island, Prince still could have made Purple Rain. Michael could have never made Thriller on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stealuface

CPHornfan

Holy hole in the donut, Batman
Jan 9, 2011
As much as I think Purple Rain is a better album objectively, Thriller is so ubiquitous that it almost feels wrong to say it loses to anything.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
You're supposed to unless the dealer shows a bust card. It's not balls, is math.

A ballsy Blackjack move is more like doubling down on 11 vs a dealer 4 or splitting AA against a dealer 8 or 9.
Herman would say going for it the way he does is math.

99TexasEx

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I'm out at comparing Aguero/Kane/Salah to 2* Wrs.
Haha ... Quantity and not ranking mate ... two 5* WR's ... ;-)

Trying to simplify it for our site owner that did not come to the sport until 2 or so years ago and has spent his adult life doing gridiron analysis ...

Reactions: pied

pied

RIP meroney04
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001

Trying to simplify it for our site owner that did not come to the sport until 2 or so years ago and has spent his adult life doing gridiron analysis ...

In contrast I’d offer the fact that every EPL player of the month except on has been a forward including your 2/5* examples. :)

Sadio Mane
Harry Kane
*Leroy Sane
Mo Salah
Harry Kane
Sergio Aguero

I’d bet on Mo for February as well. Not just Ketch that likes strikers.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

That's simply not an accurate portrayal of things, so if you're going to belittle my chops for the sport, at least get things like the details straight.;)

Reactions: 99TexasEx

txfight

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Cedar Rapids, IA
A ballsy Blackjack move is more like doubling down on 11 vs a dealer 4 or splitting AA against a dealer 8 or 9.

ALWAYS split Aces and 8's and always double an 11.

The rules of proper blackjack playing are constant. The difference between winning and losing is knowing when to get up from the table.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

The rules of proper blackjack playing are constant. The difference between winning and losing is knowing when to get up from the table.
That last part, I struggle with.

karankawajake

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2007
Disagree about Prince. Not worthy of any of the adulation he has received since he passed away. Also disagree with your take on the Oscars. Hollywood is so out of touch with mainstream America. Why does Hollywood and the music industry so compelled to politicize their awards ceremonies thus further creating division. Add the NFL to that list as well.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Disagree about Prince. Not worthy of any of the adulation he has received since he passed away. Also disagree with your take on the Oscars. Hollywood is so out of touch with mainstream America. Why does Hollywood and the music industry so compelled to politicize their awards ceremonies thus further creating division. Add the NFL to that list as well.
what do you mean by mainstream America? What is that?

Serious question.

BrushCountryHorn

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2005
Brush Country / Hill Country / Bastrop County
I love movies, but can no longer stomach watching the Oscars {one of my favorite things to watch not so long ago}, and subject myself to the liberal left's sanctimonious, hypocritical, stupid, outrageously biased/mis-informed diatribes that are vomited on the public on a yearly basis now. The great irony is that these fools don't realize they're part of the problem, and not the solution.
Yep. It would be so much better if the sanctimonious, hypocritical, stupid, outrageously biased/misinformed diatribes were vomited on the public from the reactionary right.

HllCountryHorn

Unofficial history mod
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2010
Every situation is different. I'm not a champion of Kobe, but I don't believe I would use the same colors to paint his situation as something similar to what happened in Waco. I find it curious you would in an effort to make an attempted "gotcha" point.

No gotcha. Just seeing what you've posted in the past -- and even in this thread -- about men and women, along with your interest in movies and the Oscars, I thought you might call out the Academy for its hypocrisy in giving Kobe with his history its highest award right in the midst of its #metoo moment, and was surprised when you didn't.

Xminus6

Mar 5, 2004
Moraga, CA

Yes. I know. But hitting 16 is more "basic" than splitting and doubling rules. I just thought it was a bad analogy.

Reactions: txfight