ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Ewers to run it back in 2024?)

I’m really nervous about next week. I was hoping to go into that game with swagger.

Does anyone remember the last time we played in Ames at night and had a comfortable win? Because I’ve been at every game in Ames and I don’t remember one.

Worse off, ISU started the season terribly (mostly the offense, the defense has been good all year) but seems to be hitting a stride. I feel like Texas is the exact opposite.
I'm worried about the game because we haven't done too well there lately. But they just lost to Kansas at home a couple weeks ago, and they only beat Baylor 30-18. They are a scrappy team but not world beaters. The Horns just need to bring it from start to finish, and if so I think they'll be alright. If Quinn is feeling good then I'd like to see us air it out. I''m not sure that we can run on them all game. We have to match their intensity. That place will be rocking.

Reactions: Baguette
I am happy to be 9-1 and I give Sark a ton of credit because without him, we would not have the talent on the field to be competitive in the first place. With that said, we could easily be 6-4. We have been both lucky and good to be 9-1. Giving up big leads, or barely hanging on, is hardly new to this year. I can't imagine Sark doesn't see the trend and question how he may want to change his approach to close out teams when up big. You really think he doesn't even consider he is part of the problem on his list of areas for improvement?
Yeah man, I know that was a simple B/S Q/A but Ketch's response to that one was jarring. I'm absolutely fine if Sark thinks the team's execution is lacking - it most definitely is, at times. But if he can't see that there are gameday issues that are 100% entirely on Sark (WC package, clock mismanagement, not taking common sense points, etc.), that speaks to a bit of a narcissism that I wasn't really picking up. Or worse, just a glaring misread of postgame post mortems that I'm not sure I'm ready to accept.

Agreed on thoughts QE would benefit on a return next year. Brooks coming back is a stretch because the injury takes a year to get better. I wish the best for both guys making their decision. Time for Red, Blue and Baxter too to fill in. Whoever blocks the best will play more, I believe 🤘🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: UofT
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
Tone deaf

I’m heartbroken for Brooks. The young man has had to bury his father and now his future career is in jeopardy. Here’s to hoping he rehabs fast, can regain his form and have a productive NFL career.

QE should return. He’s not NFL ready. If the upside of his rankings is really justified, which to date it hasn’t been, he’ll absolutely improve with another year at this level and under Sark.

Arch isn’t transferring either. The Mannings have the wisdom and financial security to be patient…and they want as much Sark development as possible.

As for Brooks, I feel terribly for him. Talk about a breakout year that exceeded anyone’s expectations. With the RB position be so much more devalued in the NFL I think his best option is likely to secure a strong NIL package and return next year…I’d anticipate he’d move up at least a round or two if so.

While I’m definitely wanting the most out of the rest of this year as I’m not ready to mail it in on winning convincingly our last two games and then a true beatdown of whatever other team we play in b12 CG, if Ewers and Brooks both returned next year, our RB situation for ‘24 is much stronger with the experience Baxter and Blue have in front of them this year. That’s the only silver lining of Brooks’ situation. Again, I absolutely HATE what happened though.

As for the Aggies, what is being completely discounted and what I see all the time with those more critical of Sark too, is the assimilation of talent. Say what you want but Jimbo is Mack Brown2.0 in terms of recruiting. He’s top 3….and that’s been representing College Station (lately).
The reality is whoever they replace Jimbo with will NOT be as elite of a recruiter as him, so I view this as a positive for Texas at least in that aspect. Yes, we’ll lose the laughing at that them for overpaying and just being Aggie and still sucking with all their talent (actually I seriously doubt we lose that, too), but Jimbo’s successor and Aggie NIL fund will have top priority to retain their roster and recruits.

…so any “fear” for who they hire is absolutely not present here. Recruiting will take a hit which only helps Texas win more state head to head battles.

As for the rankings, while I do absolutely think Bama is demonstrating they’re a better team today than we are, I just have to think/hope that the optics of them jumping us get harder and harder each week we remain where we do…but if I’m being honest, I think Ketchum’s rankings (with Bama the best one loss then Oregon and then us) is probably how I’d rank them best to worst. The question is are we ranking on what’s deserved or who looks to be the best?…as I definitely would be pissed if Bama was ever ranked one spot above Texas. Two spots above us is less offensive (though still would suck).

Again - we just need to control the controllables. And do what I said last week: win convincingly the games in front of us (which we didn’t do Sat). If we do that, I don’t think we’ll get jumped by Bama…and likely would just need one other loss (besides B10 non-champ) to make playoffs.

Yeah man, I know that was a simple B/S Q/A but Ketch's response to that one was jarring. I'm absolutely fine if Sark thinks the team's execution is lacking - it most definitely is, at times. But if he can't see that there are gameday issues that are 100% entirely on Sark (WC package, clock mismanagement, not taking common sense points, etc.), that speaks to a bit of a narcissism that I wasn't really picking up. Or worse, just a glaring misread of postgame post mortems that I'm not sure I'm ready to accept.
It should not jar you if you’ve been paying attention. It’s been a problem since he arrived. Have you really seen anything that remotely addresses the issue? It’s pretty much Groundhog Day the football movie.

The pattern is clearly the same. Now, there are plenty of people who will point to lack of execution, and all kinds of other events for the consistently blown leads, but the pattern remains the same . Early on, many wanted to point to lack of depth.

Ags may have a ton of money but pulling a 1/4 of a billion off the stack to shitcan Jumbo and reset will still sting a little and will be a fewer dollars less for NIL and the bagmen. They are the Jerry Jones of college football in thinking they can buy championships and culture and I for one hope they fall flat on their face.

Explain to me how Kansas State beats Houston and TCU 84-3. Loses to Texas than scores 59 and beats the crap out of Baylor. Yet we barely scrape by Houston TCU. Our win against Baylor we didn't even break 40 points.

Reactions: coldbrew
TCU last year was 6-1 in one score games. That only loss in the Big 12 Championship game last year. They are 0-4 this year. what a difference a year makes.

There was something with Archie and SI I believe and Archie said the best way was how Eli did it and that was to play his third year. They seem less concerned about playing early in college and more about being as ready as possible when he gets to the NFL

I think they have an understanding that the leap from Class 2A in La. to the high major level takes some time. With five years to play four, they have time on their side.

I legitimately don’t understand the point of playing the games if a team like Alabama can be ranked above a Texas team that beat them by 2 scores on their home field, when they both have the same record 10 weeks into the season and neither has lost a game in several weeks. I understand the “eye test” argument, but head to head HAS to take precedence in these scenarios.

Also feels a little contradictory to admit that Texas being without its starting QB for 2 of the last 3 weeks needs to be considered, but then you punish them by ranking a team they beat relatively handily in front of them.

a. I guess I would say that games in September mean a lot less if you don't play well in October or November.

b. I didn't punish Texas. I rewarded Alabama.

Ok, well I might get roasted, but this is what I feel:

1) Texas is 9-1 (I’m happy), TEXAS is a “just above average team“ They are not close to being top 3 or “Elite”. When we played AL … totally different team.

2) QE returning : I actually have mixed feelings. I think he is a good QB. Top 7. There is something about his mechanics that is off. NFL star … No. I truly think he does not have the zip on the ball That you see with other QBs. Call me crazy.

3) Why does Texas always have QB controversies? I guess others have them, but I just don’t care about other teams. It just seems, when big names choose Texas, there is an issue.

4) TEXAS used to be DBU ….. what happened? I‘m actually afraid for Texas to play Oregon if they do.

5) Has Sark always called plays for every team he has coached at? Do you think he would ever turn over the play calling responsibilities? Why do most HC call the plays anyways? Who calls the game is Sark can’t?

2. I think he has a much better arm than you are giving him credit for.

3. Is there a controversy?

4. Talent is on campus, it's just not playing at a really high level in every spot.

5. Yes, he has. No, he will not. He calls the plays because he's regarded as one of the best in the sport at it.

Reactions: hrsepwr
I agree. If they do it no one will ever schedule anyone worth a lick again.
Or everyone will understand that you can't just survive games later in the year and hope you can ride the coattails of one performance.

We're running into the "who are the best teams in college football right now" vs "who has earned the right to be here" argument.

Which the 12-team playoff solves. And it's looking like the 4-team version is kicking and screaming on the way out.
4 is not enough

Reactions: ARD438
I’m really nervous about next week. I was hoping to go into that game with swagger.

Does anyone remember the last time we played in Ames at night and had a comfortable win? Because I’ve been at every game in Ames and I don’t remember one.

Worse off, ISU started the season terribly (mostly the offense, the defense has been good all year) but seems to be hitting a stride. I feel like Texas is the exact opposite.

a. I guess I would say that games in September mean a lot less if you don't play well in October or November.

b. I didn't punish Texas. I rewarded Alabama.
I just remember how when Texas won all the pundits said this Alabama team was going to go 8-4. The worst Alabama outfit in 15 years. Texas beat Bama so soundly people were talking about replacing Nick Saban with Coach Prime. We won so bad they benched their QB. Just saying I think we are built to stop Alabama they are a running team and are greatest strength is stopping the run. I would be much more worried at Stopping Oregon and Washington.

Alabama might jump Texas but more than likely will lose to Georgia.

Our last ten years would have been a lot better if he had been hired instead of Charlie Strong. Then again, same is true if we had not forced Mack out. Pike Powers (may he rest in peace) was a coward and unable to stand up for anything except his staying in power. Never should have let Faulkner leave.
It's the brand of football that he plays that I was speaking of more than anything else.

It's painful.

I'm worried about the game because we haven't done too well there lately. But they just lost to Kansas at home a couple weeks ago, and they only beat Baylor 30-18. They are a scrappy team but not world beaters. The Horns just need to bring it from start to finish, and if so I think they'll be alright. If Quinn is feeling good then I'd like to see us air it out. I''m not sure that we can run on them all game. We have to match their intensity. That place will be rocking.
Exactly right. It's a scrappy team, but not one to be afraid of.

Reactions: Big Bertha
He's quite confident in himself and his abilities. Self-doubt just doesn't exist in large doses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT