Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Ewers to run it back in 2024?)

We're running into the "who are the best teams in college football right now" vs "who has earned the right to be here" argument.

Which the 12-team playoff solves. And it's looking like the 4-team version is kicking and screaming on the way out.
4 is not enough

Reactions: ARD438
I’m really nervous about next week. I was hoping to go into that game with swagger.

Does anyone remember the last time we played in Ames at night and had a comfortable win? Because I’ve been at every game in Ames and I don’t remember one.

Worse off, ISU started the season terribly (mostly the offense, the defense has been good all year) but seems to be hitting a stride. I feel like Texas is the exact opposite.

a. I guess I would say that games in September mean a lot less if you don't play well in October or November.

b. I didn't punish Texas. I rewarded Alabama.
I just remember how when Texas won all the pundits said this Alabama team was going to go 8-4. The worst Alabama outfit in 15 years. Texas beat Bama so soundly people were talking about replacing Nick Saban with Coach Prime. We won so bad they benched their QB. Just saying I think we are built to stop Alabama they are a running team and are greatest strength is stopping the run. I would be much more worried at Stopping Oregon and Washington.

Alabama might jump Texas but more than likely will lose to Georgia.

Our last ten years would have been a lot better if he had been hired instead of Charlie Strong. Then again, same is true if we had not forced Mack out. Pike Powers (may he rest in peace) was a coward and unable to stand up for anything except his staying in power. Never should have let Faulkner leave.
It's the brand of football that he plays that I was speaking of more than anything else.

It's painful.

I'm worried about the game because we haven't done too well there lately. But they just lost to Kansas at home a couple weeks ago, and they only beat Baylor 30-18. They are a scrappy team but not world beaters. The Horns just need to bring it from start to finish, and if so I think they'll be alright. If Quinn is feeling good then I'd like to see us air it out. I''m not sure that we can run on them all game. We have to match their intensity. That place will be rocking.
Exactly right. It's a scrappy team, but not one to be afraid of.

Reactions: Big Bertha
Yeah man, I know that was a simple B/S Q/A but Ketch's response to that one was jarring. I'm absolutely fine if Sark thinks the team's execution is lacking - it most definitely is, at times. But if he can't see that there are gameday issues that are 100% entirely on Sark (WC package, clock mismanagement, not taking common sense points, etc.), that speaks to a bit of a narcissism that I wasn't really picking up. Or worse, just a glaring misread of postgame post mortems that I'm not sure I'm ready to accept.
He's quite confident in himself and his abilities. Self-doubt just doesn't exist in large doses.

Tone deaf

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

Reactions: LonghornLawyer89
Explain to me how Kansas State beats Houston and TCU 84-3. Loses to Texas than scores 59 and beats the crap out of Baylor. Yet we barely scrape by Houston TCU. Our win against Baylor we didn't even break 40 points.

It's a hard to explain sport sometimes.

TCU last year was 6-1 in one score games. That only loss in the Big 12 Championship game last year. They are 0-4 this year. what a difference a year makes.
They've regressed to the mean. It eventually happens.

I just remember how when Texas won all the pundits said this Alabama team was going to go 8-4. The worst Alabama outfit in 15 years. Texas beat Bama so soundly people were talking about replacing Nick Saban with Coach Prime. We won so bad they benched their QB. Just saying I think we are built to stop Alabama they are a running team and are greatest strength is stopping the run. I would be much more worried at Stopping Oregon and Washington.

Alabama might jump Texas but more than likely will lose to Georgia.
Why do you think it's likely they lose to Georgia?

It's weird prior to the season the narrative was if Quinn comes back something terribly wrong has happened. But here we are Texas 9-1 top ten in the nation. Quinn having a solid season and he might come back because things have gone quite as planned but definitely not terrible.

Why do you think it's likely they lose to Georgia?
Because its my overreaction Monday Take. Georgia is finding their stride. Georgia is still Georgia. Not buying Milroe against a stout Georgia defense. But I do remember Alabama smashing Georgia in the SEC championship game a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Ketchum
Or everyone will understand that you can't just survive games later in the year and hope you can ride the coattails of one performance.
Here's my argument, if you take away a head to head matchup you're going off the opinion that the team that lost the head to head is now better than the team that won. I wouldn't argue that Bama would beat Texas if they played today, but if you set this precedent where does it end? What's the difference in saying a head to head matchup doesn't matter and saying record doesn't matter. What if there's a 10-2 conference champion that lost 2 games early and then played well down the stretch, what's stopping them from going in over an 11-1 conference champion, that won their last 6 games by a few points each?

I just don't think you can give the committee that much leeway without setting a precedent where they can disregard whatever they want. Opinion comes in when all other things are equal (records, conference championship, etc). Bama and Texas can't be equal because Texas beat them when it mattered.

What are the chances that X, Mitchell and Sanders come back with Quinn. Since all aren't having the type of seasons they expected. The NFL is hard even a guy like Bijan who looks generational is having a so so year in the league. If they all come back plus some transfer portal guys we can hit the SEC running.

Explain to me how Kansas State beats Houston and TCU 84-3. Loses to Texas than scores 59 and beats the crap out of Baylor. Yet we barely scrape by Houston TCU. Our win against Baylor we didn't even break 40 points.
Here is what I think (Not that would care) bc I think everyone has thoughts like this.

Texas lives rent free in a lot of teams, fans and haters heads. No matter who or where other teams are playing, you always see the ”horns down“. Literally everywhere. I love to see it b/c I know they are thinking about UT!

When these teams play Texas, they are pumped up and we absolutely get their best game. Every week. In turn, I do not think Texas gets pumped up playing Baylor, Houston, etc …. They just barely squeak by and are ok with that. Texas was crazy good when they played AL, b/c that is a team that was at the top of the pecking order.

Just my opinion …..

TCU last year was 6-1 in one score games. That only loss in the Big 12 Championship game last year. They are 0-4 this year. what a difference a year makes.
Which just goes to show that the biggest determining factor in close games is luck and that over the long haul, you can expect to go about 50/50 in close games.

We had bad breaks in close games last year and the year before and have had mostly good breaks this year.

Reactions: Rockhornfan
Because its my overreaction Monday Take. Georgia is finding their stride. Georgia is still Georgia. Not buying Milroe against a stout Georgia defense. But I do remember Alabama smashing Georgia in the SEC championship game a couple of years ago.
I'd handicap it as a 55-45, either way.

Reactions: ARD438
Here's my argument, if you take away a head to head matchup you're going off the opinion that the team that lost the head to head is now better than the team that won. I wouldn't argue that Bama would beat Texas if they played today, but if you set this precedent where does it end? What's the difference in saying a head to head matchup doesn't matter and saying record doesn't matter. What if there's a 10-2 conference champion that lost 2 games early and then played well down the stretch, what's stopping them from going in over an 11-1 conference champion, that won their last 6 games by a few points each?

I just don't think you can give the committee that much leeway without setting a precedent where they can disregard whatever they want. Opinion comes in when all other things are equal (records, conference championship, etc). Bama and Texas can't be equal because Texas beat them when it mattered.

It's a precedent that has existed for 15+ years.

What are the chances that X, Mitchell and Sanders come back with Quinn. Since all aren't having the type of seasons they expected. The NFL is hard even a guy like Bijan who looks generational is having a so so year in the league. If they all come back plus some transfer portal guys we can hit the SEC running.
I think they both go pro.

a. I guess I would say that games in September mean a lot less if you don't play well in October or November.

b. I didn't punish Texas. I rewarded Alabama.
A. I get the logic but the game still has to matter. Alabama can’t just be off the hook for a head-to-head loss (by 2 scores on their home field) simply because they’ve started playing well. Texas has also won 2 more games against ranked teams since playing Alabama, which should help but feels like it’s being discounted while Alabama’s ranked wins are boosting them up.

B. Imo by rewarding Alabama you are in turn punishing Texas.

Last edited:
Keilan Robinson was a good change of pace guy last year and ran hard. Is he in the dog house?

Here is what I think (Not that would care) bc I think everyone has thoughts like this.

Texas lives rent free in a lot of teams, fans and haters heads. No matter who or where other teams are playing, you always see the ”horns down“. Literally everywhere. I love to see it b/c I know they are thinking about UT!

When these teams play Texas, they are pumped up and we absolutely get their best game. Every week. In turn, I do not think Texas gets pumped up playing Baylor, Houston, etc …. They just barely squeak by and are ok with that. Texas was crazy good when they played AL, b/c that is a team that was at the top of the pecking order.

Just my opinion …..
That’s absolutely right.

Just my opinion …..
yup. We are every other schools super bowl and get their 110%. Where Texas doesn't seem to have this mentality and plays down to the competition all the time. Sucks but we need the killer attitude every game as if every team was Bama..or #1