ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Hey, Kirk... this is Tom... I gotta scoop for you...)

This doesn't seem like the kind of sweepstake we ever win. IMO, the only way we get Zaire is if the SEC doesn't change its rule. Even then, I keep wondering whether Zaire would have started at ND this year, and if not, how excited should we get about this?

I think Zaire fits Herman's scheme better and gives the program a much better run threat, something this offense might need with the questions at running back and some depth issues on the line. He's an older, more mature player that has his entire life riding on this season.

I don't know that he's definitely better, but he might be, which is why Herman is interested. It's why Tim Beck is interested.

THIS! You have now made a clear case for Zaire. He does fit the offensive scheme better than Shane with his running abilities. I do believe Shane throws a better deep ball but, with Zaire's running abilities the defense must plan for his running and this allows Herman's offense to work better. This, I believe, is the only reason that Zaire might be a better fit at this time.

Agree the Aggies will never win the SEC. They will never be able to pull kids out of SEC country and have always struggled recruiting nationally. Relying only on Texas kids will always result in mediocrity. Especially at the DL, LB and OL positions.

It's June and we're all football starved enough to write 6 pages of replies about an average QB who really wants to go to Florida but can't yet.

He set a decision date (stupidly) and then pushed his decision based on the timing of the SEC rules committee. The kid wants to go to Florida.

Beyond that, it's a close enough race at QB at Texas that we can't even come close to a consensus as to whether he'd be better than the incumbent.

If he chooses some other school, are we really going to lose any sleep over it? Hell no, even Herman doesn't care enough to stay in contact with him.

I think Herman's time is MUCH better spent trying to sign some JUCO DL than worrying about a guy who probably isn't coming to Texas who might be better than what we already have. MZ would be a nice addition, but he sure isn't a highly needed addition relative to DL (or even OL).

Reactions: FriscoWolf
It's my understanding that the core of the legality of gambling is if the house takes a cut or not. Those Superbowl squares you can buy into at your neighbors house or at a bar downtown are fine because they pay out 100% of what gets paid in.

But I sell gas options for a living so you'd be SUPER-WISE to take legal advice from me.

I want Daniel to stay where he is.
I don't doubt his talent, I just don't think he can be relied upon from a fitness standpoint.

I'm surprised you want to hold on to him. Seems pretty clear he's a fish out of water in Klopp's system which doesn't have much use for a classic English #9.

IMO if Zaire comes to Texas it will be big moral downer and it might undo all the alignment work Herman has done. Team has been through a lot psychologically. and IMO Zaire is not that good, hasn't shown anything special statistically or high light moments than Shane. And if Herman is who he thinks he is, what the football world thinks he is, then he is who is and will work his magic on Shane. No need for Zaire.Hook'em
I don't see it as a moral downer at all. Any grad transfer no matter who they are and what position is going to be told by the coach recruiting them they have every equal chance to come in bust their ass, compete and try to earn a starting job. Any coach telling grad transfers they can automatically come in and start should not be coaching at all, they are flat out lying to the kid just to get them to sign on. Zaire knows he is not going to just be given the job, but he wants to go where he thinks will be his easiest path to start. IMO that would be Wisconsin, but obviously they are behind Florida and Texas on his list.

The fact of the matter is and I am sure most of the team knows in their mind that they need another QB body on the roster. If Zaire comes in and Shane out performs him and wins the job then that is great, Malik would just have to accept it and his role, he wouldn't have much of a choice right? It could happen at Florida also and Franks beat him out. If he were to beat Shane then he would have to accept it also and know his chance again is the next year because Zaire is a one year option only. I still in my mind think Herman could use both QBs a lot and not just roll with one only. What Herman did with Ward he can most certainly do with Zaire and even more. I personally just want another body on the roster so Sam can RS and may the best man win out.

Reactions: lightthetower0510
His negativity on Shane is just over the top. Strange situation
what am I over the top negative about? specifically?

quote any sentence I've written on the matter and tell me how it's over the top.

IMO if Zaire comes to Texas it will be big moral downer and it might undo all the alignment work Herman has done. Team has been through a lot psychologically. and IMO Zaire is not that good, hasn't shown anything special statistically or high light moments than Shane. And if Herman is who he thinks he is, what the football world thinks he is, then he is who is and will work his magic on Shane. No need for Zaire.Hook'em
The team just wants to win. If Zaire helps them do that, the team will be more than fine....

Reactions: BrobaFapp
I think he definitely wants Zaire. two questions:

A. Herman has preached that he wants players that want to be here. How do you think he and the staff feel knowing Florida is his first choice if all things are equal?

B. Why isn't he more involved in the recruitment? That much trust in Beck?
A. is a great point. I think Zaire just wants to have all his options laid out first before he chooses which includes knowing if Florida is an option for him. Maybe Herman respects this and is willing to wait a few more days so Malik can make the best decision for himself. We may not even know that Florida is he #1 choice over Texas. I think he is just sticking to his 4 choice destinations and wants to know if all 4 are legit options or if just 3 are, then makes his decision.

Reactions: Rex Manning
I don't doubt his talent, I just don't think he can be relied upon from a fitness standpoint.

I'm surprised you want to hold on to him. Seems pretty clear he's a fish out of water in Klopp's system which doesn't have much use for a classic English #9.
Until someone with as much class replaces him, I want him to stay.

I'm not sure Liverpool wins the last two games without him on the pitch. It wasn't an accident that the team scored seven goals in two games with his return to the line-up in those two games.

That's after scoring zero against Southampton, one against Watford, one vs.Palace, one vs. West Brom and two against Stoke,

Wishful thinking, Ketch? The only reason Malik isn't already on campus is he knows there's a good chance he won't be able to wrestle the starting job from Shane.
wishful thinking?

I can assure you that my thinking is more in line with Tom Herman's than most on this board.

A. is a great point. I think Zaire just wants to have all his options laid out first before he chooses which includes knowing if Florida is an option for him. Maybe Herman respects this and is willing to wait a few more days so Malik can make the best decision for himself. We may not even know that Florida is he #1 choice over Texas. I think he is just sticking to his 4 choice destinations and wants to know if all 4 are legit options or if just 3 are, then makes his decision.
completely fair.

It doesn't take an Encyclopedia Brown, White, Black or Purple to figure out that if Tom "Every Detail" Herman hasn't spoken to the guy in weeks, he ain't coming to Texas. This whole storyline is starting to wreak of click bait.
I don't think it's click bait but the whole story has been overblown. Even anwar admits Herman hasn't talked to him in months. The writing seems to be on the wall.

Outside of here it's not even a story. Another Texas outlet reported last week if he doesn't go to Florida as expected he won't be at Texas either.

Until someone with as much class replaces him, I want him to stay.

I'm not sure Liverpool wins the last two games without him on the pitch. It wasn't an accident that the team scored seven goals in two games with his return to the line-up in those two games.

That's after scoring zero against Southampton, one against Watford, one vs.Palace, one vs. West Brom and two against Stoke,
I'll never argue against his skill. As a transfer candidate I wouldn't want West Ham to spend a huge transfer fee on a player who was only healthy for 22 of the last 121 Liverpool games (according to NBC Sports commentators). I doubt he will ever be healthy for a full season again and already we're loaded with injury riddled #9's. Once guys get caught in that type of injury cycle it's extremely rare they get out of it. He's a luxury backup for a rich team, not a centerpiece for a mid-table team.

And congrats on top 4. Well deserved. Now go sign some defenders and a keeper!

Do you think Tom would let Zaire string Texas along publicly if he didn't want him and value him greatly (more than a body)?

I think you are really reaching here. Zaire isn't on the media radar much at all. Heck, if he wasn't a ND QB, no one would even know who he was. Even coming from ND he is just regarded as a failed prospect. You said it yourself in this story, Zaire going to Florida isn't even on the SEC radar for a team in their own conference. Zaire isn't stringing anyone along, he is non story for the most part, except for boards like this.

Much more likely Herman is using the mantra of needing another QB for the same reason he isn't naming Shane the starter, its his way of challenging players. He hasn't named anyone as a starter. Plus as others stated above, he knows he needs a third Qb and he needs a backup who isn't a true freshman that was hurt a bunch in HS.

Reactions: Baguette
I think I am officially retiring from reading anything more about Zaire until the final "Malik Zaire to ______ " thread pops up.

Reactions: txfight
You might feel different if it was clear that he was just using Texas' name for attention. I have a feeling Tom would.

I don't feel that injures Texas in the least. I can just as easily see it as the top available transfer QB in the country has Texas as one of his two top choices, a fact that indicates elite status as a transfer school. In any case I don't see it as hurting Texas. JMO.

Best part about the whole article

Actually pretty stupid to say aggy "never" will play for an SEC title. Pretty sure Nick Saban won't live forever, after 'bama, what else is there in the SEC West? Even aggy can luck into a good enough hire to win the West at some point.

so, the SEC is not too selfish to make a decision that block everyone?

Georgia voting to let the rule change THIS year?

Georgia reaped the benefit with grad transfer Maurice Smith from Alabama just last season so I doubt they're trying to block themselves from future opportunities over Malik Zaire. I repeat, MALIK ZAIRE. I highly doubt he'll be keeping Kirby Smart up late nights.

I'd be surprised if the rule isn't changed. This is a classic cut off your nose to spite your face scenario. Then again it's the SEC so nothing would surprise me. I just don't think Malik Zaire is spooking any coaches into backing off that (or any) rule.

ADVERTISEMENT