ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Hey, Kirk... this is Tom... I gotta scoop for you...)

Just don't understand your doubts for SB. Sets freshman passing records at UT and he is just okay. Zaire hasn't even passed for 1000 yards in his career.
So far, Shane has shown little improvisational skill to break the pocket and make plays (like Colt or VY). Herman wants his QB to have the quickness and mobility to do exactly that. Shane excels when he has all day to throw from the pocket, especially in a Spring Game where he's protected from heavy hits.

We have to hope Shane's poor performance the final 3 games last season was attributable to the injuries he got in the Cal game or to the strait jacket limitations (shallow pocket/ throw only to 1/2 the field) of playing in Sterlin Gilbert's Veer & Shoot O. Last, Shane's small physique and lack of quickness makes him more highly exposed to injury.

I'm on the record that the SEC will vote to allow MZ to Florida.
First, I simply don't believe there is a coach in the SEC that isn't fully aware that Florida is after him.
Second, every coach in the SEC wants that rule to go away, so they can persue graduate transfers without the incumberance. Kirby Smart and the rest could give a rats ass as to whether MZ ends up at FL. A third string QB on a team that went 4 - 8 is not worth losing the ability to bring in your choice of grad transfer when you need one in the future.

My prediction as well. The other coaches know about MZ. They even know what size shoes he wears

So far, Shane has shown little improvisational skill to break the pocket and make plays (like Colt or VY). Herman wants his QB to have the quickness and mobility to do exactly that. Shane excels when he has all day to throw from the pocket, especially in a Spring Game where he's protected from heavy hits.

We have to hope Shane's poor performance the final 3 games last season was attributable to the injuries he got in the Cal game or to the strait jacket limitations (shallow pocket/ throw only to 1/2 the field) of playing in Sterlin Gilbert's Veer & Shoot O. Last, Shane's small physique and lack of quickness makes him more highly exposed to injury.
To these eyes Shane looked much more swift than Sam in the spring game. His pocket awareness was better as well. I am not sure some of his issues last year with running were not due to injuries.

Good read sir. Well done.
I sure hope that we can get one of those JUCO lineman. If they read about our woes they should come a runnin'

It doesn't take an Encyclopedia Brown, White, Black or Purple to figure out that if Tom "Every Detail" Herman hasn't spoken to the guy in weeks, he ain't coming to Texas. This whole storyline is starting to wreak of click bait.
ok.

I've actually read that he might, especially if they draft Josh Jackson.

Be interesting to watch.
I don't think Saric is untouchable. Plus,.he's a Hinkie guy and the Colangelo will do everything they can to whitewash what he collected.

I don't consider what Zaire is doing "stringing Texas along publicly" at all, nor do I consider that some threat to Texas if he were doing that.
You might feel different if it was clear that he was just using Texas' name for attention. I have a feeling Tom would.

Ketch

Is there a signing period for Jucos?
Has Texas made contact with any of those DL players?
Also any possible Juco TEs worth pursuing?
For guys in 2017 or 2018?

None of those guys are for this year.

Help no! People are tripping if they think Zaire is gonna waltz in here & start over Shane! Based on what? He's taller & is a better runner? Phuleeze.
again, he might just be better. Period.

Not bad. The take on the Spurs was ridiculous, though. They beat Houston by 40+ in a closeout game w/o Kawhi or Tony, and they lost game 3 to the best team in the world by 12 points without either of those players. They, even without Kawhi and Tony, are who the 76ers, in their wettest dream, aspire to be. As for Zaire, I think he has a chance to be a very good player, but I am not certain he is the shoe in starter. Buechele was pretty good, although nowhere the transcendent Freshman QB some act like he was, last season. That is with a completely feckless leadership in place. I think he has a chance to grow up a bit. Competition will help that, as well.
k. if you say so.

To these eyes Shane looked much more swift than Sam in the spring game. His pocket awareness was better as well. I am not sure some of his issues last year with running were not due to injuries.
Shane did look superior to Sam in the Soring Game, but Sam was going against the salty 1st Team D with the vastly inferior 2nd Team O-Line. As a result, Sam had no time to see the field and throw while Shane was never hit and seldom even pressured. Huge difference.

It's pretty easy to see that Zaire is all in on UF if they overturn their grad transfer rule, if he wasn't then why wait. Also, in this day and age how could these other programs in the SEC not already know about Zaire waiting in the balance pending their rule change?

I have little faith that the SEC will uphold the rule, not so much in relation to Zaire but in all of their programs interest in being able to get in the best grad transfers they can without anything holding any of them back.
This! It's no secret about Zaire waiting on the rule change. He's in at Florida. No way SEC doesn't change the rule to allow this one exception.

If you were Shane you wouldn't want your backup true freshman QB to have the ability to train and continue to develop his skills at the practice facility?
You completely missed the nature of what he was trying to get across.

"A former Mississippi State signee, Gooden failed to qualify coming out of high school..."

It must have been awfully humid in the room when he took the "fog a mirror" test. Did he misspell his own name on the SAT? It was my understanding that outside of Vanderbilt, SEC schools weren't too tough to get into and that most of them accepted non(or partial) qualifiers?

IMO if Zaire comes to Texas it will be big moral downer and it might undo all the alignment work Herman has done. Team has been through a lot psychologically. and IMO Zaire is not that good, hasn't shown anything special statistically or high light moments than Shane. And if Herman is who he thinks he is, what the football world thinks he is, then he is who is and will work his magic on Shane. No need for Zaire.Hook'em

Reactions: WTexasHorn
Zaire as a starter ugh! I can say for certain that Shane throws a much better, and accurate ball.
Watching Ward Jr. play I'm not sure Herman is concerned about the prettier ball flight as much as he is the dual threat. I think everyone is falling back in love with the type of QB play we saw out of Louisville last year.

Reactions: cnapp
This isn't remotely close to that idiot's behavior.

It does seem like there could be an opportunity to impact the situation through social media, but I'm not on twitter and not connected to media outlets to help out. If I was I would carpet bomb every sec east coach and AD about the situation.

That's the point, in order to be an objective member of the media (and to ensure he retains his press credentials) @Ketchum can't attempt to impact the situation in any way.

Passing the story to the national guys or to SEC East coaches absolutely crosses a journalistic line that you can not cross if you want to regarded as an unbiased reporter.

He'd be taking action that would directly influence the decision of Texas recruit. Not a good look if you own a Texas recruiting website.

Writing that piece as the lead story in one of the more popular columns on OB, which you can rest assured members in TH's social media department monitor, is about as far as he can and should go with it.

Just like listing the names of JUCO DT recruits in the same column... if he actually reached out to the top JUCO DTs and said "Texas really needs DTs next year you should get in touch with Oscar Giles and start a dialogue" that would be inappropriate.

That makes sense. While I can see the coaching staff seeing the article I don't see them calling a bunch of SEC east coaches to inform them of the situation. I could see them trying to get the story to national press. Point being we need some OB twitter influencers to start carpet bombing the Sec about this.

Reactions: iluvdahorns
bingo. PAID subscribers is the name of our game.
And PAID advertising...I mean "partnerships". You are a business, I get it, but making your final thought around this is cheesy (putting it lightly). I have no problem with an announcement that is tagged but it devalues the content of your article. Just my opinion not that you will care. But good thoughts otherwise.

Reactions: PaulieD
Do you think Tom would let Zaire string Texas along publicly if he didn't want him and value him greatly (more than a body)?

I think he definitely wants Zaire. two questions:

A. Herman has preached that he wants players that want to be here. How do you think he and the staff feel knowing Florida is his first choice if all things are equal?

B. Why isn't he more involved in the recruitment? That much trust in Beck?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT