ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Hey, Kirk... this is Tom... I gotta scoop for you...)

This isn't remotely close to that idiot's behavior.

It does seem like there could be an opportunity to impact the situation through social media, but I'm not on twitter and not connected to media outlets to help out. If I was I would carpet bomb every sec east coach and AD about the situation.

That's the point, in order to be an objective member of the media (and to ensure he retains his press credentials) @Ketchum can't attempt to impact the situation in any way.

Passing the story to the national guys or to SEC East coaches absolutely crosses a journalistic line that you can not cross if you want to regarded as an unbiased reporter.

He'd be taking action that would directly influence the decision of Texas recruit. Not a good look if you own a Texas recruiting website.

Writing that piece as the lead story in one of the more popular columns on OB, which you can rest assured members in TH's social media department monitor, is about as far as he can and should go with it.

Just like listing the names of JUCO DT recruits in the same column... if he actually reached out to the top JUCO DTs and said "Texas really needs DTs next year you should get in touch with Oscar Giles and start a dialogue" that would be inappropriate.

His career completion percentage is 59-percent.

He threw 23 passes last year and 40 the year before. I was at the ND game 2 years ago when he lit it up and he did look good. But aside from throwing against us the last 2 years he doesn't have much of a resume to consider. SB should not lose sleep over this. Not getting this one.

@Ketchum What do you think the likelihood is that Herman and company look at the JUCO ranks along the D Line?

So I assume you noticed his 52% comp and 110 QBR in said games then?
I don't really pay attention to QBR. I have enough of a time understanding the passer efficiency the NCAA uses.

I'm on the record that the SEC will vote to allow MZ to Florida.
First, I simply don't believe there is a coach in the SEC that isn't fully aware that Florida is after him.
Second, every coach in the SEC wants that rule to go away, so they can persue graduate transfers without the incumberance. Kirby Smart and the rest could give a rats ass as to whether MZ ends up at FL. A third string QB on a team that went 4 - 8 is not worth losing the ability to bring in your choice of grad transfer when you need one in the future.

I don't know how many times I have to say I don't really know before that becomes the correct vibe you sense.

I think there are areas of strength that Zaire could bring to the table, but it's an unscientific gut feel.
I don't think I've seen you say you say that.

I don't read every damn message by everyone!

Or do I?

I CANNOT REMEMBER!!!

What has my life become?!? :D

I'm on the record that the SEC will vote to allow MZ to Florida.
First, I simply don't believe there is a coach in the SEC that isn't fully aware that Florida is after him.
Second, every coach in the SEC wants that rule to go away, so they can persue graduate transfers without the incumberance. Kirby Smart and the rest could give a rats ass as to whether MZ ends up at FL. A third string QB on a team that went 4 - 8 is not worth losing the ability to bring in your choice of grad transfer when you need one in the future.
You make it sound like every school in the SEC has a gang of transfers about to be let in. I can assure you that isn't the case.

I don't think I've seen you say you say that.

I don't read every damn message by everyone!

Or do I?

I CANNOT REMEMBER!!!

What has my life become?!? :D
But, I literally said it in this thread!;)

I'm not sure the head coach agrees.
Because he didn't mention him in the pre-spring press conference or because he was dressed down in front of everyone on the first day of practice? As I said last week, this is straight out of Urban's playbook for creating a culture. But orangebloods seems to be falling for it just like when it claimed Shane was going to be in a dogfight all spring to hold off Ehlinger.

Reactions: InVinceable10
I'm equally, if not more unsure about MZ.
His athletic ability/build is his leg up. He's not a better passer short or long than Shane.
what about the in-between stuff and running the ball? and adlib playmaking?

Your concerns are more than fair.

Reactions: InVinceable10
Because he didn't mention him in the pre-spring press conference or because he was dressed down in front of everyone on the first day of practice? As I said last week, this is straight out of Urban's playbook for creating a culture. But orangebloods seems to be falling for it just like when it claimed Shane was going to be in a dogfight all spring to hold off Ehlinger.
because if Herman didn't really want Zaire, and he has indicated that he does, then he would have killed this discussion weeks ago by getting it out there he doesn't want him. the opposite indications have been given.

I'm not calling on anyone to do anything. I'm suggesting, though, if I was Tom Herman, that I would be passing along some info to have reported on very loudly.

Considering OB has reported that Herman hasn't taken the time in the last month to contact Zaire, I don't think he will be taking the time to contact Kirk Bohls about SEC rules either.

That said, we need Zaire, or someone like him, for numbers in the QB room. He isn't championship quality like Shane is when healthy, but he is better than throwing Sam in there if Shane goes down for the season.

I do think Zaire could win a game you might not expect, like OU or OSU. But he is also more likely to lose a game or two you shouldn't lose. There are good reasons he couldn't keep the starting job at ND, even though ND was losing as ugly as we were the past few years. Injuries were only part of the picture.

I don't care about the competition or hurt feelings issues. But Zaire coming will cost Shane needed snaps this fall in practice. And he will be way behind Shane in experience with the receiver crew. That timing matters, a lot, and Zaire wont have many snaps to get it going. Still, the lack of numbers in the QB room demands another guy with experience.

Reactions: Hill
I don't believe Zaire is now, and I'm not convinced he will become, as effective a passer as Shane was last season. And I expect Shane to be better this season. I believe passing effectiveness is the top criteria for QB at Texas this season (as opposed to run effectiveness). Shane starts and keeps the job as long as healthy, if I have to guess.

I don't mean it as an insult, but I'm not convinced Zaire beats out Sam in passing effectiveness either. I'd hope Texas wouldn't need three QBs, but if I was HC at Texas I'd be trying to develop three competent QBs.

Reactions: LonghornBuc
You make it sound like every school in the SEC has a gang of transfers about to be let in. I can assure you that isn't the case.

That is not at all what I said, nor what I intended to portray. I simply think that all of the SEC coaches want the flexibility to persue a grad transfer, without the hypocritical and pesky academic red tape getting in their way. They may not need to do it now, but they dont want something as silly as grades getting in the way when the time comes.

Reactions: WTexasHorn
because if Herman didn't really want Zaire, and he has indicated that he does, then he would have killed this discussion weeks ago by getting it out there he doesn't want him. the opposite indications have been given.
Who suggested he doesn't want Zaire? Of course he wants him. We have two injury prone scholarship qbs on the roster and nothing else. Herman wanting Zaire on his roster does not necessarily equate to Herman believing Zaire will win more games than Shane.

Buechele was just one issue. He shouldn't have been on the field. He played out of Charlie's desperation. I think he has a crazy high upside, but not be ready to hit it yet.

I agree, just like I agree Sam should redshirt this year, which is why another QB in the room would be huge for the program.

I also agree that Shane has a crazy high upside. He showed it a lot last year, especially before he had to play with bad ribs. He stepped up even more this spring. With Herman and Beck helping him this fall, he is set to break out to top tier in the conference this year. He may not be the best, but he can be close.

People questioning Shanes competitiveness and leadership are not only ignoring everything he did last year on the field and off of it, as a true freshmen. They are ignoring the home he grew up in with a dad in the majors and a whole family of athletes.

That is not at all what I said, nor what I intended to portray. I simply think that all of the SEC coaches want the flexibility to persue a grad transfer, without the hypocritical and pesky academic red tape getting in their way. They may not need to do it now, but they dont want something as silly as grades getting in the way when the time comes.
I think there are more that will instinctively be petty than maybe some realize.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT