ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's Prediction Time!)

Damn near close to agree on the 10-2 (my expectation is 9-3 with 8-4 really not even entering my mind) and most certainly agree we aren't going worse than 2--2 in those 4 games. There's a better chance we go 3-1 than 1-3.

Tom Herman is notorious for losing big games, amirite?

I am still of the belief that the Mayweather/McGregor pattycake match was rigged. McGregor never threw a meaningful punch. And Maywesther never threw a punch for more than 3 rounds. It ended the only way it could which was Mcgregor getting KO'd. Only it should of happened inside of 5rds. They made McGregor look good and Maywesther look good. When does that happen? I will never believe that the greatest defensive, counterpuncher of all time would allow an MMA fighter to put a glove on him. The conned EVERYONE and giggled like school girls afterwards. Total sham.

Reactions: txfight
I have a feeling Shane is going to be to Ketch, what Swoopes was to Anwar.

People give anwar crap every day for reports about Swoopes being good. And people are gonna give Ketch crap every day after this season when Shane goes out and "does the damn thing".

Exactly, Ketch is trying to put more blame on the loses last year on Shane. But what he doesn't realize is when coaches are in trouble teams began to play like they are losing their coach. Whether they realize it or not, loses are easy to come by when a coach is on his way out the door. This year will be completely different. Shane will kill it this season, just watch.

Reactions: JinSOTEX
Thinking longer term big picture ...

I'll take 9 - 3 to the bank right now - especially if the associated optics are good - no blowout losses or stupid mistake losses and finishing strong.

That secures momentum under the Herman regime and a top 5 - 8 recruiting class.

It also probably helps us keep all but 1 or 2 of the Junior Starters for next year and gets us a preseason top 10 ranking.

Not trying to get that far ahead of myself, because I do want to enjoy this year and win as much as possible, but the key is rebuilding the program for the long term and 9 - 3 would get that process well on its way.

Thinking longer term big picture ...

I'll take 9 - 3 to the bank right now - especially if the associated optics are good - no blowout losses or stupid mistake losses and finishing strong.

That secures momentum under the Herman regime and a top 5 - 8 recruiting class.

It also probably helps us keep all but 1 or 2 of the Junior Starters for next year and gets us a preseason top 10 ranking.

Not trying to get that far ahead of myself, because I do want to enjoy this year and win as much as possible, but the key is rebuilding the program for the long term and 9 - 3 would get that process well on its way.

We'll do better than that.

Exactly, Ketch is trying to put more blame on the loses last year on Shane. But what he doesn't realize is when coaches are in trouble teams began to play like they are losing their coach. Whether they realize it or not, loses are easy to come by when a coach is on his way out the door. This year will be completely different. Shane will kill it this season, just watch.

The data shows our offensive efficiency was poor last year, even with the best RB in college football.

c. Personally, I wasn't overly impressed with Mayweather, regardless of the rare finish. This isn't the same guy that dominated guys like Miguel Cotto and Alvarez. Rather than outclass him from the start, the gameplan was to wait for McGregor's legs to fail him. I'm not saying it's not smart, I'm saying it's not the most impressive set of optics. It's time to step away when it takes him 10 rounds to finish off a novice to the sport.

PBF could have ended that fight in 2 rounds or 10.

I certainly hope Strong and Gilbert improve that area for us this season.

That's not really constructive to the conversation. I have zero doubt that the scheme will optimize the personnel, and that our players and units will be better coached, but asking the scheme and coaching to take the offense from 85th in FEI to a top 30 (or whatever number you're comfortable with) while overcoming the loss of Foreman is asking a lot.

Reactions: DanielSucks
So you're predicting that Collin Johnson will "only" have about as good a season as top 10 draft pick Roy Williams ever did, And then you say he comes back next year and blows that away?! Wow, the kool-aid is flowing!

Way to shoot for the stars!
This caught my eye as well. If CJ gets those numbers it's the best season for Longhorn receiver since Shipley.

That's not really constructive to the conversation.

Actually it is. While a bit flippant on my part, it's no different than the expectations this team can win 9+ games d/t a significant upgrade in coaching staffs. I'll gladly take a year of seasoning for the other 10 guys WITH an elite HC and staff than a return w/Foreman AND Strong.

After watching USF and being forced to realize at a truly visceral level how bad our game planning and coaching was last year... I'm really on board with the Kool Aid drinkers. I don't see anyone on our schedule that looks unbeatable if this team plays to its potential, stays healthy and maybe catches a good break or two.

You lost me at you can't do "the Little League World Series."
SMH. That's unamerican. A crowd of 26,500 who could do the LLWS packed historic Lamade Stadium in Williamsport, PA. on Saturday to watch the U.S. Championship game between Lufkin, Texas of the Southwest Region and Greenville, North Carolina of the Southeast Region. You missed a thriller as Texas scored 2 runs on a home run in the top of the 6th and final inning and won 6-5 in a game where they were down 5-0 after 3.

I was for San Antonio McAlister Park (Texas West) in the regionals, but they lost 2 tough one run games to Texas East (Lufkin) in the regionals. In their first game, S.A was one strike away from winning when Texas East hit a 2 run homer to tie it and then another run to win it. There's no doubt in my mind that S.A. had the 3rd best team in the nation after Lufkin and Greenville. I had no problem supporting Lufkin in the LLWS. Congrats to those boys.

Texas teams had lost 5 straight U.S. Championship games. Breaking the streak was sweet.

Unfortunately Texas, got steamrolled by the Japs in the World Championship, but there's little doubt in my mind that Japan cheated by recruiting players from outside their district's boundary. I wouldn't be surprised if Japan has to forfeit their title at some point in the future.
Usually a post with that many words seems too protracted for me to read all of it but the use of colored letters and the bold font kept me engaged. Nice job.

Actually it is. While a bit flippant on my part, it's no different than the expectations this team can win 9+ games d/t a significant upgrade in coaching staffs. I'll gladly take a year of seasoning for the other 10 guys WITH an elite HC and staff than a return w/Foreman AND Strong.

I think we are talking to different narratives. On the macro level, I think we can improve the team performance colllectively in ways that will positively impact the W/L record. At the micro level, offensively, I'm worried that certain defenses on the schedule will be able to contain an offense that needs numbers leverage to run the ball.

And I think both of those beliefs can coexist.

The feeling within the program with its starting quarterback is that it has a player it can win with, but there are still questions about how he will respond when the kitchen starts to get a little hot. It's hard not to envision the Texas offense impressing on the stat sheet in the first two games of the season, but that week three game in Los Angeles is the one where we're really going to learn where Buechele is in his development as a college football player. This is his football team as the season begins, but Tom Herman is not going to wait on any of these quarterbacks, which means that if Buechele blinks early in the season, I believe we're going to see true freshman Sam Ehlinger get a chance to make this his team. It's up to Buechele to not blink in Los Angeles and if he pulls it off, I have to believe Herman's confidence and trust will be in the starting to be earned phase.
Not worried about the stage boom too big or him getting rattled; it's literally his ability to find secondary receivers and make the throws against great athletes on the other side of the ball.

I think we are talking to different narratives. On the macro level, I think we can improve the team performance colllectively in ways that will positively impact the W/L record. At the micro level, offensively, I'm worried that certain defenses on the schedule will be able to contain an offense that needs numbers leverage to run the ball.

And I think both of those beliefs can coexist.

Sure. And those 1, maybe 2, defenses have the potential to do that with either QB at the helm.

With regard to your last point, @Ketchum, during the Charlottesville chaos, you made it known that was who we, as a nation and a people, are. I believe those were your exact words. Now, with your last point, you're showing a different picture of who we are. I would argue that we, as a nation and a people, are the images you're seeing in Houston and throughout Texas right now. We are seeing the very best examples of who we are. Don't turn away.

A lot of coaches, like other leaders, become too emotionally invested in their choices. Which is why I'm encouraged by your suggestion that Herman is keeping Shane on a short leash - it's yet another sign that he cares more about winning than about being right.

I agree that Texas is likely to lose to USC and then rebound in Dallas. I'm far more concerned about OSU the next week in Austin than I am about Riley-led Oklahoma.

By the way, @Ketchum, what's your take on TCU this year? They have the veterans to mount another 2014-style season, but they don't have Doug Meacham or a clear Boykin-level QB. They're the biggest question mark for me in the B12 right now.

There are more than 1 or 2.

Not a schedule chock full of elite defensive teams. I guess perhaps if you want to talk about TCU and WVU, but not convinced those teams are just THAT physically great defensively.

Not a schedule chock full of elite defensive teams. I guess perhaps if you want to talk about TCU and WVU, but not convinced those teams are just THAT physically great defensively.

TCU and WV were both in the top 30 in defensive FEI in 2016. KSU was 34. USC 37. OSU and Baylor both in the top 50.

By the way, @Ketchum, what's your take on TCU this year? They have the veterans to mount another 2014-style season, but they don't have Doug Meacham or a clear Boykin-level QB. They're the biggest question mark for me in the B12 right now.

Not ketch but this place overrates them more than anyone because Patterson owned charlie strong. I know tcu fans who are hoping they can win 7 maybe 8 games this year. Kenny Hill is straight trash and Patterson has lost his whipping boy in charlie

The quarterback play was less than inspiring in the final week or so of camp. The efficiency wasn't where it needed to be and there were too many unforced errors. Neither Shane Buechele nor Sam Ehlinger really seized the moment that was allowed due to each other's inconsistency.

Tom Herman just said shane has looked good the last few days so guess it's changed

d. In the event that anyone was wondering, Connor Williams and Jake McMillon are a cut above everyone else on the offensive line. McMillon might not be on the level of Williams, but he's ahead of the entire rest of the pack.
===================================================

Was Jake McMillon even on anyone's radar at this time last season? Other than a guy who was a last ditch fill in for someone who was hurt or ineligible?

I just remember hearing his name and wondering who he was. Not even remembering him from whatever class he signed in. And now, he's our second best guy.
Nope. He has been one of the real pleasant surprises in the last 15 months or so.

ADVERTISEMENT