ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's have an honest talk about where things stand...)

Sign me up
I hate Urban’s history with moral program issues...but the guy can coach and win instantly...Right now there’s 2 elite coaches that can turn a program around to NC level in 1-2 years...Saban and Meyer...(Dabo took some time to get there)

Saban will retire at Bama and Meyer will prob be at USC or ND in the next year or so...I’m just wondering who the next guy is after Herman...bc if he’s replaced we’d better get someone elite...that can win in less than 2 years...I just don’t know who that is...

Reactions: MB-HORNS
Thats why IF CDC cares about winning, you have to at least talk to Urban and let him know, before you do anything let us know.

Hes too good. Besides Him, its only Saban and Dabo.

BTW screw it Im almost thinking in 2 years maybe Brady LSU could be the guy.

Regarding d "People and They". Didn't you predict that he would be the best player on the field in every game and that he would be in New York for the Heisman ceremony?
Yes, as explained, I was wrong.

If that is by the book then it is the one book in existence that should be burned. Those play calls were doomed to failure. I predicted both them and their outcomes correctly. Apparently so did the opponent D-Co.
I meant the traditional, run the ball and make them use their timeouts book.

It's the traditional reaction.

I didn't say it was a good book.

I hate Urban’s history with moral program issues...but the guy can coach and win instantly...Right now there’s 2 elite coaches that can turn a program around to NC level in 1-2 years...Saban and Meyer...(Dabo took some time to get there)

Saban will retire at Bama and Meyer will prob be at USC or ND in the next year or so...I’m just wondering who the next guy is after Herman...bc if he’s replaced we’d better get someone elite...that can win in less than 2 years...I just don’t know who that is...
He's a Hall of Fame football coach and an abortion of a human being.

He'd win a national title at Texas.

And his tenure would end in scandal.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
The Sam criticism is fair, but I also don’t think this system is QB-friendly. Or maybe it’s just not offense-friendly. When I see OU with giant holes to run through and wide open receivers to throw to, while Sam seems to have to thread the needle on every throw or count on a great catch, and we grind out four yards a carry on the ground, something is wrong with system. And college football is a system sport. Herman’s system just seems to be too difficult. I think Sam, DD and CJ would dominate in OU’s system. I don’t think Herman will ever admit that his system is fallible, unfortunately.

I’ve said plenty as it relates to Herman in other threads that you’ve probably seen. He’s not what I thought we were getting in almost every regard. I’ll leave it at that. The changes need to be drastic.

The Sam points are spot on. He’s not regressing, he’s just not progressing to the elite level. This staff needed him to be more VY and less Tim Tebow to win all the games and he’s just not. They can still win the Big XII with him and maybe more, but they need real coaches.

I know everyone wants Orlando gone tomorrow, and I'm not saying he shouldn't be. But Saturday's loss is not on him. How many times did the Offense suck so fast that the D went right back on the field? I think it was like; a million.

And I have a new off-season policy. I'm not reading another word about any recruit who is listed as an Athlete, WR, or DB. I'd like to know how many sacks our front 7 has? Name a successful college program that doesn't have someone who can pressure a QB without an all-out blitz? We need a Cory Redding or Tony Brackens.
Saying I agree with you, my biggest frustration is that once again his defense did not do what was needed from it with the game on the line on the last drive. When we have to DEPEND on orlano's defense, we know what we are going to get.

Anyone who thinks having Sam throw MORE to fix the offense hasn't really been paying attention.
Sam throws just fine especially when we have some routes called to the middle of the field that are quick hitters. In addition, he does well when he have players other than number 1 on the field. The general lack of mis-direction pass-plays is also incredibly frustrating. When we see all of those things on the table, which is basically never, Sam has a harder time as the pass defense knows exactly what's coming.
I just think Tom struggles outside of his preconceived comfort zone, which makes making on the fly adjustments and changes really hard.

You can have a quarterback with a 151 rating if the surrounding parts are all elite.
If Sam's surrounding parts were all elite, his same exact performance this season would probably have a rating in the mid-160s. Amazing what guys who can consistently come down with reasonably difficult catches, a great offensive line, and guys who turn called screens into touchdowns (which requires better blocking at the WR position). Really not that difficult to extrapolate for Sam on this imo.

"Fine" is a broad word. The point people were making was him coming back could push him into round 1. The reality is he's never shown legit first round 1 ability. Now he's very much damaged goods. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still available after round 3.
Lots of non-TX people in Chicago area last year were thinking of him as a first round draft pick. I heard it often. Granted, I'm not talking about nfl scouts (I don't know any), but these are really solid football people (radio/TV/internet etc) that I saw with very high opinions of CJ. It surprised me, because their views of him were much higher than mine.

Reactions: McGuapo and txfight
Unwound. The song by George Strait. Not the way every Longhorn fan is feeling is #1.

Graham Harrell is about to be looking for a job maybe......does that move the needle for anyone.

I'm just throwing it out there.

Why am I not surprised you have a dumb ass take when it comes to Sam.

LOL.

Sam's highest pass attempts this season:
LSU - 47
TCU - 48
KU - 44
ISU - 40
OU - 38
La Tech - 38

Sam's highest pass attempts last season:
Okie Lite - 42
MD - 39
WVU - 36
OU (CCG) - 36
KSU - 36

Our record in those games? 3-8.

LOL.

Sam's highest pass attempts this season:
LSU - 47
TCU - 48
KU - 44
ISU - 40
OU - 38
La Tech - 38

Sam's highest pass attempts last season:
Okie Lite - 42
MD - 39
WVU - 36
OU (CCG) - 36
KSU - 36

Our record in those games? 3-8.
Man you just proved my point and you don't even know it. Clueless.

Oh, no doubt that there are a ton of reasons at play, but the bottom line is the bottom line. He's left some plays out on the field in the last six weeks.
Fair or not, we need him to be the best quarterback on the field to win. In our four loses, he wasn't the best quarterback on the field. I am a big fan of Sam's leadership and qualities as an individual. We could and have done a lot worse at QB position over the last several years. The scheme holds him back some - like a late game sack in the Iowa State game where the receivers ran no patterns - just go past the first down marker and turn around. When both on the left side were totally covered, they both just stood there. That's not even junior high good. That's not on Sam. There were also drops on good throws - again not on him. But IMO, there are too many passes that require the receivers to make circus catches, turn 360 degrees or inhibits YAC. Go back and look at the ISU game and you'll count several. Again, it may not be fair to expect him to be great every game - that's a big ask.

IMO, specials teams have played a huge part in our four loses. That's on TH and he must get it fixed. I am not sure about TH's logic of putting the coach he demoted from offensive line coach to be the special teams coordinator. I don't know the background or his experience or how he was doing in this area prior to this year. I think all of us can agree that the kick off return and punt return teams have been wretched. The kick off coverage team is close to the same (in a "hold your breath and pray" way). That's on the coaches to put the right guys out there and instill the discipline for each player to do their assignment. I see too many cases where one or more players try to play the hero and a breakdown the teamwork/coordination needed to do the job happens.

Pretty good job on the Strait list....never will everyone agree since he’s had 60 number one hits! Not including Amarillo by Morning, which is also my number 1 and I think George’s also, based on comments he made at the Las Vegas show I was at. One I like that hasn’t been mentioned is Baby’s Gotten Good at Goodbye....

Reactions: Big Bertha
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

Before we get very far into this column, let's make sure we stress a very important point - no one is screaming "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

That's not to say that there's not currently a fire in the theater because there is. We can all see the flames.

We're just not going to panic. If there's anything we've all become accustomed to over the last decade it’s damn fires inside the theater of the Texas football program. Basically, we've all unknowingly become volunteer fire-fighters without ever meaning to do so. So, instead of acting like a bunch of rookies, we're going to exit the current 6-4 theater like a bunch of professionals that have been around a fire or 10 as followers of all things burnt orange.

So, let's talk about the fire with the understanding that because we all survived Charlie Strong, we can survive anything.

We good? We ready? Everyone got their favorite beverage handy?

With two regular-season games to go in the 2019 season, the Longhorns are 6-4 and unlikely to play another game this season that the rest of the nation pays any attention to. A 7-5 record feels like a very real possibility. So is 8-4. So is 6-6.

The bottom line is that Tom Herman wasn't hired to be 6-4 in his third season in charge of things, let alone a 6-4 team that lacks the kind of discipline that should carry it across the weekly finish line against average football teams or a team that has so few definitive positive things occurring inside of it that not a single assistant coach has any legitimate job security heading into the off-season.

Three years into this thing and heading into year four, there are three elephants in the room that need be addressed.

1. There will be staff changes in the off-season.

Change is coming. It's just a matter of how much change takes place. Herman has prided himself on having staff continuity, but that's only a good thing if each member of the staff is performing at an elite level. Otherwise, you're just bringing back the same average power five coaches from the previous year with your fingers crossed that everything we're all seeing with the naked eye isn't true.

Whatever changes Herman makes to his staff, he should probably understand the stakes involved. Chris Del Conte and all of the various support systems in place will make sure that Herman has as much money as he needs to hire whomever Herman identifies as the group of people that can help flip the momentum back towards Herman's favor.

Here's the deal though ... you only get to do this once at a place like Texas. You get one get out of jail card, unless you have a mountain of accomplishments and goodwill stored up. Rarely do you get a third chance to correct one of the truly critical decisions you're tasked with making as the CEO of a college football program that pays more than six million per year for elite-level production and decision-making.

2. Herman has lost some of the Texas fan base

Del Conte and other Texas athletic officials will beg Texas fans to hold the rope and maintain full belief in Herman, pointing to injuries as the biggest reason for this season's problems.

The problem is that if you have actually taken the time to watch the team play all season, you'll know that it's incredibly disingenuous to suggest that injuries have been a bigger problem than the litany of other issues that exist, from terrible game-management to poor preparation to one confounding dumb action/decision after another.

While the majority of the Texas fan base will continue to hope that Herman grows into the coach he was hired to be, I'd suggest that a majority of Texas fans will also be taking a wait-and-see attitude going into year four and very little tolerance will exist if another wasted season occurs. It's a group that has seen the banana-in-the-tailpipe trick far too many times to voluntarily sign up for a repeat affair if it feels like it’s been to the circus and seen that kind of show before.

In the meantime, the type of Texas fan that patrols the Internet is likely going to be pretty cranky until the pain goes away.

It's going to be a tense next 10 months or so.

3. Recruiting is going to be tricky

A couple of months ago, Herman owned 2020/2021 recruiting at levels that have been rarely seen in the history of the state.

A lot of that was connected to the positive outlook following a Sugar Bowl win in January, but the failures of this season will create some doubt in the championship message that Herman and his staff have been selling since he arrived. As long as Herman's project is on an upward trajectory, the recruiting was always going to be outstanding.

That the momentum is mostly dead and there are serious questions about the trajectory of the program will make things more complicated moving forward.

Every school that recruits against Texas will point to the questionable trajectory and the fact that Herman could be coaching for his Texas career in 2020 as its main talking point against the Longhorns in recruiting.

Making things more problematic is that Herman is still competing against the most competitive recruiting landscape I've seen in 25 years of covering recruiting in the state of Texas. Oklahoma and Texas A&M will continue to be major thorns in UT's side, but LSU's rise this season will make the Tigers a much bigger problem in 2021 recruiting.

While the Longhorns could still sign a top-10 class in 2020 and have a tremendous start in 2021, things are about to get much tougher.

To put it frankly, the worst thing that can happen for the Longhorns in recruiting is for seeds of doubt to be successfully planted in the minds of the best prospects in the state of Texas because that's the kind of thing that can't be fixed overnight. It'll take the type of wins that Texas hasn't had at all this season and if those types of wins don't occur in 2020 pretty quickly (see at LSU and Vs. Oklahoma), Herman could find himself in real trouble.

Overall, we're suddenly at a critical moment in Herman's tenure. This isn't gossip. This isn't overreacting. This is real talk.

Herman has a huge contract that the school will hesitate to ever have to swallow, but that contract cannot and will not protect him from the court of public opinion, both with supporters and recruits.

We can all see the fire, so don't bother trying to argue that the only thing that's on fire is the candle that was lit to light up the room.

Everyone around here knows what a program in flames looks like. Herman's program isn't in out of control flames, but a call to the fire department is about to be made and we can all see it.

No. 2 - Let's talk about Sam ...

No one has been a bigger supporter of Sam Ehlinger than I have. At times, I've probably been too eager of a hype man.

Yet, with two games remaining in his junior season, it's time to make a confession of sorts - Ehlinger hasn't been as good as most of us thought he would be.

The expectation for Ehlinger is that he would take the next step in his progression this season, which would make him an elite-level college player, but that hasn't really come close to happening.

A year ago, Ehlinger posted a 146.8 quarterback efficiency number. This year? Through 10 games, he's at 150.8, which ranks behind Baylor's Charlie Brewer and Iowa State's Brock Purdy. In fact, Ehlinger is currently tied with Texas Tech's Jett Duffey in quarterback efficiency, and Duffy is Tech's back-up quarterback.

The simple fact is that he's been far too inconsistent this season to register as an elite player. Some of it is has to be connected to the injuries he's dealt with this season, but some of it also has to be connected to the fact that he's been pretty inconsistent as a player since his freshman season.

It has to remain a possibility that we all overreacted to Ehlinger's performances against Oklahoma and Georgia last year to such a degree that we lifted him into a status that he truly hasn't earned yet, which is scary because the entire premise of this program being ready to challenge for elite-level status was tied to the theory that it had an elite-level quarterback directing the show.

If it turns out that Ehlinger is merely going to be a very good college quarterback over the next 14 games or so, the rest of his supporting cast will need to pick up the slack, which has been problematic this season and one of the reasons this team is 6-4.

No. 3 - Five Players I'm Still Thinking About 24 Hours Later ...

Devin Duvernay - What will this team do next season to replace him? Is Jake Smith ready for this type of role? He better be because without Duvernay this season, we might be looking at a 3-7 or 4-6 team.

Brennan Eagles - This kid's talent practically oozes all over the field, but so does his own bouts of inconsistency. On one play, he'll create the spectacular and on the next he'll let a ball hit his hands and skip to the ground. It's basically 50-50 on any ball thrown his way. He's going to be an incredibly important player next year and Herman has to figure out how to get the best out of him because it's not currently occurring.

Collin Johnson - If Johnson is healthy and plays on Saturday, the Longhorns win the game. I'm convinced of that.

Jeffery McCulloch - I'm still kind of stunned that he let Juwan Mitchell take his job. How can a kid with all that talent go four full seasons without ever finding the light switch?

DeMarvion Overshown - Whoever coaches the defense next year is going to love working with this kid. He's a season away from being a true difference-maker.

No. 4 - A few thoughts on Texas basketball ...

a. My belief in this team has dropped over the course of the last week following the inspiring road win over Purdue, mostly because of choppy performances against California Baptist and Prairie View A&M. On the bright side, the Longhorns didn't lose either of those games, but on the bad side I can't say that I felt like I watched a team this week that I felt like was heading for a future Sweet 16 spot in March.

b. Texas keeps getting really good looks from three-point range, but just isn't making enough of them. I suppose I'm more likely to be encouraged by the quality of good looks than I am despondent by the lack of makes.

c. Will Baker was the No. 28 player in the country last year. I've yet to see anything from him in four games that supports that ranking. It's still very early in his career, but I was expecting more from him than this.

d. Courtney Ramey has been so up and down through four games that I wonder if he'd be more comfortable playing with the football team.

No. 5 - The Texas volleyball team deserves your adoration ...

Ho-hum, another two games this week for the Texas volleyball team and two more three-set beatdowns to teams in the Big 12 that can't hang.

I'm going to say this every week, but @TexasVolleyball is a must-follow on Twitter.

If you know nothing about the team, here's a few important bullet points.

* Freshman Skylar Fields is one of the best freshmen in the country, as she ranks second in the Big 12 in hitting performance. Basically, she's the one that will make you go, "Oooooh!"

* Senior Micaya White is probably the All-American on the team.

* Sophomore Jhenna Gabriel is the social media star of the group.

It's time to give them your support. Unlike some other sports around here, they won't let you down.

No. 6 - If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Alabama
6. Oregon
7. Oklahoma
8. Utah
9. Penn State
10. Minnesota

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) The contract that Herman is signed to will make me say yes to 2021 unless the 2020 season goes off the rails. Texas doesn't want to be Florida State.

(Sell) I think he just played that last offensive series by the book instead of leaning on what his offense had actually been able to do well in Ames. One of the real frustrating aspects of Herman's coaching is that he seems stuck in-between being a new-age coach or an old-school coach with his decision-making and game-management.

(Sell) I see a loss in Waco and a win over Tech at this point.

(Sell) It's one of the best jobs in America, even if it is also one of the most difficult jobs at times.

(Sell) Great question. He simply hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

(Sell) I can't get behind hiring someone as disgustingly immoral as Urban. I'd prefer to keep my soul.

(Buy) Of course, Manny Diaz is asking this question ... of course.

(Sell) It's close, but I'd have to Lincoln Riley, Matt Rhule, Mike Gundy, Les Miles and Matt Campbell ahead of him.

(Buy) You nailed it.

(Sell) That will never, never, never happen.

(Buy) You never specified whether it would be football or not, so in the other sports you might have to trust.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Even though Baylor led Oklahoma 28-3, I think I always believed the Sooners would win that game.

... I really don't know what to say about the Tua Tagovailoa situation other than he needs to start putting his future first and the Alabama football team second.

... Is there any way Joe Burrow can lose the Heisman at this point? We might be looking at a historic runaway.

.... I kind of want to believe in Michigan, but I know better.

... Goodness gracious, Baltimore beat the hell out of the Texans. Lamar Jackson was emphatically the best player on the field.

... It was a good day for the Cowboys to say the least. If the Boys had taken care of their business last week, we'd be talking about a two-game lead in the division. Nevertheless, today was a good day.

... I don't want to say anything nice about Dak because if I do, he'll have a terrible game next week, but he was pretty good today.

... Jamies Winston is just terrible.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 George Strait songs ...

I know this one will cause some arguments.

10. Ocean Front Property
9. Baby Blue
8. All My Exes Live in Texas
7. I Cross My Heart
6. Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind
5. The Cowboy Rides Away
4. You Look So Good in Love
3. The Fireman
2. The Chair
1. Amarillo by Morning

No. 10 – And Finally ...

Speaking of King George, I really can't believe that they didn't make a Pure Country 2.

Thanks, finally, for take No. 2. The over-hyping of Ehlinger has been beyond epic — and stupid.

Yes I agree. I've have been wondering all season what the hell has happened to Sam? I've heard it said he hurt his ribs in the LSU game and that's he's not fully healed but he seems fine but has just regressed immensely. How can this happen to a QB that looked so great last season unless he is truely hurt and has covered it all up.

I just don't want too buy that in 6 months from the Sugar Bowl he has forgotten how to be the Elite QB he was last year, am I imagining this?
He wasn’t an elite QB last year. He WAS, however, an elite single-wing runner. He’s not that anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT