ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's have an honest talk about where things stand...)

He was only elite a few times last season. The consistency from week to week is still missing.
I'm getting older so my memory isn't what it used too be , but it seems
he was much more confident last year and could run better etc vs this year where he is timid and off target with the interceptions and lack of running.
When I watch his press conferences he looks very frustrated either the coaches are holding him back or he's just regressed under Beck and Herman's watch but that's hard to believe that's why I was thinking maybe his ribs might be hurt.
He is a night and day different QB from last year no doubt.

No deal was ever completely close and Texas was never going to go up to 8 million to get him.

If there was a path to close the deal that kept Texas from breaking the marketplace for the hire, they'd have been interested.

They never got as far as you are thinking they did.

Ketch, financing considerations are just the UT administration's cover story for passing on Saban. A select group of UT's big donors were going to kick in outside business deals and incentive opportunites that far exceeded UT's salary limitations. Saban had huge losses on real estate deals, and the oil and gas properties UT's oil donors were assembling would have bailed him out and set him up big time.

The reality is that non-financial considerations also played a huge part. Bill Powers feared criticism for over-emphasis on football if Saban were brought to Texas, and Steve Patterson feared Saban's prestige would erode his control of Bellmont Hall.

Should I just use pictures next time?
tenor.gif

"The problem is that if you have actually taken the time to watch the team play all season, you'll know that it's incredibly disingenuous to suggest that injuries have been a bigger problem than the litany of other issues that exist, from terrible game-management to poor preparation to one confounding dumb action/decision after another."

I post like 3 times a year these days and this point is what I've chosen to hammer the last few weeks. The injury excuse is an absolute farce and an attempt at window dressing below par football. Unless it's your unquestioned starting QB gets injured for a stretch, there's no reason Texas shouldn't be able to plug and play capable football players to keep this train on the tracks. It particularly gets the blood boiling because Tom and co. (and some posters on the board) take the rest of us for being naive idiots when it comes to assessing the true nature of this football team.

It's a bad product all the way around. We've got two games left and yet to establish any kind of positive identity, one of the most penalized teams in the nation, worst defenses in the country, an offense that runs like an old beater in the cold, losing the same way over and over to lesser teams despite a "1-0" mentality bs, players regressing at key positions, and dumb comments in the media. 50-48 to Kansas allows you to go "1-0" for the week, but for all intents and purposes, that is a loss Tom.

The head football coach at Texas coming off of the success built by their predecessors, the money, the facilities, and the recruiting base available, should never have this kind of "floor". If you show the kind of floor that has been shown, you're not the guy for the job here. I support these players and this school, but the quote above is exactly why Tom lost me weeks ago.

If he runs well, his draft stock with be fine. If he runs average times, he's in trouble.

"Fine" is a broad word. The point people were making was him coming back could push him into round 1. The reality is he's never shown legit first round 1 ability. Now he's very much damaged goods. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still available after round 3.

Ketch, financing considerations are just the UT administration's cover story for passing on Saban. A select group of UT's big donors were going to kick in outside business deals and incentive opportunites that far exceeded UT's salary limitations. Saban had huge losses on real estate deals, and the oil and gas properties UT's oil donors were assembling would have bailed him out and set him up big time.

The reality is that non-financial considerations also played a huge part. Bill Powers feared criticism for over-emphasis on football if Saban were brought to Texas, and Steve Patterson feared Saban's prestige would erode his control of Bellmont Hall.
I assure you, I'm very up to date on what happened in that situation.

There were a lot of moving parts, but the financial issues were not settled.

"Fine" is a broad word. The point people were making was him coming back could push him into round 1. The reality is he's never shown legit first round 1 ability. Now he's very much damaged goods. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still available after round 3.
I could see him going later than the third.

Reactions: RLong68
I really believe that Sam limits our offense big time and the offense has been tailored to him. He is way too slow in all areas of Quarterbacking. When he runs, he starts like a snail and his blockers struggle to hold blocks long enough for him. He takes forever to realize his receivers are covered and he needs to run resulting in a lot of unnecessary sacks. His accuracy this year is terrible and the scariest part is, he is the best we have.

a. Who said I had faith in the basketball team?

b. The theater at Texas is always crowded.

c. Can you quote the part where I was being generous?

d. It wasn't that people thought Sam was elite IMO, it's the fact they thought he would take the step there this season.

Regarding d "People and They". Didn't you predict that he would be the best player on the field in every game and that he would be in New York for the Heisman ceremony?

Reactions: Jickerz7
Texas doesn't want to be Florida State.

Texas isn't even Texas right now. The Florida State comparison is irrelevant, no offense intended.

Insert "clean house" gif.

I like a lot of what you had to say in this thread but I think you are giving in to the negative posters on several points.

First - This team doesn't have many seniors or juniors and those that are true juniors should have been red-shirted.
That leaves red-shirt sophomores from the transition class of 2017, true sophomores from the class of 2018, red-shirt freshmen from the class of 2018 and Freshmen from the class of 2019. Some of these freshmen are being red-shirted for the good of the team.

Second - If you look at Alex's projected rosters for 2020, the team will have most of the team back for the next two years.

Third - Herman will hire coaches that he couldn't have hired as a new coach at the Texas level. He can now as he has proven he can win and he is loyal to his staff.

Those are facts. Now for my opinions.
Herman is a great CEO and he needs some help from his staff and I think he will make the right decisions and go with them.

I think because we overachieved in 2018 we expected too much from this young team. However this young team fought hard even when they were down and could have quit.

Our coaches are good men that are trying to make our players better football players, but more importantly, better men. They could be better coaches but they are good men and they deserve our respect.
Sorry but we are paying millions to these guys to win games, i judge coaches by W's and the product put on the field. Herman has not proven to be a great CEO and he hasnt proven he can make the right choices. And the young player thing is such a cop out. the great and elite teams have young players and rebuilds just as much as Texas and you dont see them falling off the edge. We have used the youth excuse for a decade. tell that to ou or osu or clemson or bama or georgia

(Sell) I think he just played that last offensive series by the book

If that is by the book then it is the one book in existence that should be burned. Those play calls were doomed to failure. I predicted both them and their outcomes correctly. Apparently so did the opponent D-Co.

(Sell) I can't get behind hiring someone as disgustingly immoral as Urban. I'd prefer to keep my soul.

And quit Texas football?

You'd take a big financial hit, yes?

CDC would consider the circumstances but 8-4 would be a terrible record with the roster we will have next year. At least 10 wins if you include the bowl game would be acceptable.
Should expect even more in 2021.
gonna keep pushing this out every year arent we? last year it was 2018 is ok but 2019 is the year, before this year 2020 was gonna be the year, now we are at 2021?

that a player doesn’t pan out doesn’t surprise me anymore...in fact the lack of good coaching at texas has been so endemic the past 10 years that i’ve come to almost expect it...all the top 20 recruiting classes at texas over the past decade haven’t amounted to shit...it’s beyond pathetic and literally nauseating
It really is man. I feel like doing one of those crazy Ive lost my mind laughs when I think about it

Reactions: rvrrun
ADVERTISEMENT