ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Nobody puts Baby in the corner)

It occurred to me tonight that I haven't heard anyone talk about the Texas and RT situation as being a bit similar to the situation that had Interim HC Steve Fisher at Michigan. Maybe it's been talked about and I missed it, but I'm surprised in hasn't come up much.
That's because Fisher just coached the Tournament. It's not quite the same thing. Plus, it was 30+ years ago. Only us old people rememeber it. ;)

Are you hearing anything on which coaches might stay and which ones would probably leave? I’m guessing they would follow Beard to Ole Miss? Better coaches staying or leaving?
I was speaking more about the support staff.

“Speaking of ex-Texas coaches, it's hard not to feel sorry for Shaka Smart, but you could see that Michigan State loss coming a mile away.”

I don’t know why anyone would feel sorry for Shaka. Same ol shit with Shaka…can’t win MM games. He got paid a fortune at Texas and now Marquette for one run at VCU.

He should be in politics.
He's a good man. I like good people. I root for them.

Good analysis of the Rodney Terry coaching situation.

Some on here have talked about Texas needing to get a big-name "splash" hire, but I have wondered if that is really required. A splash hire usually means you get a proven Xs and Os coach as well as a guy with a name who can attract recruits and build a program.

But I think Terry's coaching performance throughout the season and especially in the year end game against Kansas, the Big 12 tournament and the first two games in the NCAAs has been excellent. Quality coaching was the theme of Ketch's lead in section of this column. For the first time in years, I don't giet discouragedust because we get behind and I am not worried that we are going to get out-coached.

As far as recruiting / team building, I believe this year's team performance and the NCAA tournament run is going to give Texas incredible recruiting juice. I think the video clips of the team's post-game celebrations are testaments to not just the team's success but also to the incredible closeness of the team and its love for its coach. I am guessing this kind of stuff is going to be more valuable for recruiting than getting a big name East Coast coach whose team was successful a few years back.

I believe these factors are much more relevant to the hiring decision than a coach's record from several years ago with a mid-major team.
I'm not sure I totally agree, but it is what it is.

I graduated with Patrick’s brother, Don in 1977 from Waltrip. Patrick graduated in 1971. Thanks for listing his top movies and remembering him on OB. Shelley Duvall (The Shining) and The Undertaker also graduated from Waltrip.
I did not know that. Learned something. Thanks!

He is the epitome of what Texas should have as its head coach except for his mediocre results in prior head coaching positions.

exactly GIF

Bohdi is his best character…spiritual, surfing, adrenaline junkie bank robber…come on...it doesn’t get cooler than that. So many great quotes and action scenes. Roadhouse and Red Dawn are solid, but Ghost and Dirty Dancing are chick flicks.

Bohdi rules!
He does. He's just not Johnny.

Ask 100 million American grandmothers and soccer moms.

I thought that Alfred Collins might have been a little overrated when he signed with us, but man I'm thinking he has to do something this year. He's been here forever it seems.

Wasn't overrated by Rivals, but was by a few others.

.. Keep your shirt on, Eric Musselman. Make it less about you and more about your team. You're 58 years old, man.

If we EVER make back to back Elite 8s and are one win away from a third consecutive Elite 8, I wouldn’t really care what our coach took off...
fair enough.

Reactions: Alejandro Stern
Sure. In the last week. Until then it’s been anyone but Terry
The dynamics change little by little every week.

I still think he'll rank among the bottom Big 12 coaches on paper if hired.

He did an excellent job this weekend, though.

Is there a position group Sarkisian has been excited about that hasn’t panned out? Last year, he told us before the season he felt good about the LB room and everyone doubted him. Turned out better than most expected.
I mean... his team is 13-12

He told us after the OU game in 2021 that he expected to play in the Big 12 title game and finished 5-7.

Reactions: Buffalosoldiers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT