ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Nobody puts Baby in the corner)

Is there a position group Sarkisian has been excited about that hasn’t panned out? Last year, he told us before the season he felt good about the LB room and everyone doubted him. Turned out better than most expected.
Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: Anwar Richardson
... Going back to the home finale against Kansas, senior Marcus Carr has made just 7 of 25 (28%) from long-distance in six straight Texas wins. If you expand the same size back two more games, he's shooting 11 of 43 (25.6%). At some point, this team needs him to get hot from distance.
This team was exactly that against Colgate. Honestly, if it weren't for our three point shooting against Colgate, it could have been a different outcome because we were incredibly careless with the ball in that game.

This team was exactly that against Colgate. Honestly, if it weren't for our three point shooting against Colgate, it could have been a different outcome because we were incredibly careless with the ball in that game.
There's no doubt about the fact that Rice was on fire against Colgate.

(Buy) That's much easier said than done. There doesn't appear to be any interest from either of them right now.
Not sure why Scott Drew would have ANY interest in the Texas job unless he just wants a change of scenery.

I don't get the talk about Jay Wright. Sure, he would be an incredible hire, but is anyone asking the question of why he isn't currently coaching at Nova? My take is that he is not interested in the portal/NIL world of college basketball. Seems to me like if he wants to coach again, it would be at the NBA level (assuming the NBA is interested in him).

He's a good man. I like rooting for good people.
He gets paid millions of dollars to do what he would probably do for free. I do not have any ill will toward him, but I am certainly disappointed in how poorly he performed at Texas. Seeing him succeed somewhere else does not bring me any joy. I was glad they lost.

Not sure why Scott Drew would have ANY interest in the Texas job unless he just wants a change of scenery.

I don't get the talk about Jay Wright. Sure, he would be an incredible hire, but is anyone asking the question of why he isn't currently coaching at Nova? My take is that he is not interested in the portal/NIL world of college basketball. Seems to me like if he wants to coach again, it would be at the NBA level (assuming the NBA is interested in him).
No one is thinking about these suggestions critically. It's just pie in the sky hope.

He gets paid millions of dollars to do what he would probably do for free. I do not have any ill will toward him, but I am certainly disappointed in how poorly he performed at Texas. Seeing him succeed somewhere else does not bring me any joy. I was glad they lost.
It didn't work out for him at Texas. My rooting for good people doesn't stop because they didn't succeed somewhere else.

Reactions: PreamoHorn
The team Turner played on had a higher ceiling than that. In 2013-2014 we went 11-7 in B12 play and made the round of 32 in what was a bit of a “turnaround” season for Barnes. In 2014-2015 literally the entire roster was back AND we added Turner. That was was a team that had a ceiling no lower than Sweet 16. Instead we limped to 8-10 in B12 then finished with a miserable first round loss to Butler. Then Barnes got fired

It was a disappointing season with some injuries factoring in, and maybe the team does better and gets a higher seed if Turner plays more than 22 minutes a game. Sure, preseason expectations were much higher for the team, but by the time this team reached the tournament as an 11 seed, they had defined themselves as a team that had zero chance of making the sweet 16.

It was a disappointing season with some injuries factoring in, and maybe the team does better and gets a higher seed if Turner plays more than 22 minutes a game. Sure, preseason expectations were much higher for the team, but by the time this team reached the tournament as an 11 seed, they had defined themselves as a team that had zero chance of making the sweet 16.

All I’m saying is that going into the season, that team was expected to be pretty damn good.

No one is thinking about these suggestions critically. It's just pie in the sky hope.
Looking at Drew not sure why he would leave Baylor for TX. Now if Kentucky comes open in the next couple of years that is right up his alley!:)

Wright despises the NIL and the portal. Not the way he built his program at Nova. He seems happy making $$ talking hoops right now.

I think no matter what happens next weekend Terry gets the job. 4 years at $16 million sound about right?

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

With 4:42 left in its Round of 32 match-up against Penn State on Saturday night, Rodney Terry's Texas Longhorns were in a fight or flight moment that threatened their very 2022-23 existence.

Nearly four minutes had passed since the Longhorns had scored a point and the Nittany Lions had gone on a 10-0 run to give them a 58-55 lead.

"Melting down," one Orangebloods staffer wrote in the OB slack channel.

I don't know that I would go that far, but you could definitely feel the grasp that this team had enjoyed for much of the game slipping away. As the team made its way to the bench, Terry had three things in front of him that needed to be accomplished.

a. Settle his players down.
b. Have a guaranteed winner of an offensive set for this team to get two points coming out of the break.
c. Remind his players that these moments are what they've been built for.

It's the single most amount of pressure that Terry has faced since taking over for Chris Beard as head coach back in December and he made like Shooter taking over for Norman Dale in the movie Hoosiers in designing a play that got Dylan Disu a point-blank shot at the rim to cut the lead to 58-57.

From that moment on, Texas didn't miss a shot the rest of the night, as it went on a 10-0 run of its own, before finally tapping Penn State out in a 71-66 win.

For the players on this team, rising to the top in such a moment takes a lot of pressure off of everyone going into the next round. The streak of 16 consecutive years without a Sweet 16 appearance is over. If it does nothing else, this team has safely placed itself in the discussion of being one of the five best teams in program history. Two more wins puts it in the discussion for the best ever.

Meanwhile, rising to the challenge in this moment might just be the final nudge Terry needs in his quiet quest to make this program his own.

In a world where timing is almost always everything, Terry has not only guided the team into a place that the program hasn't seen in almost half a generation, but he's suddenly deeper into the Tournament than pretty much all of the candidates Chris Del Conte might have had his eye on.

Arizona head coach Tommy Lloyd is a perfect example. His overall resume looks slightly better than Terry's because he's built what has been created at Arizona, but he didn't make the Round of 32 this year with the Wildcats, let alone the Sweet 16.

If Del Conte has a true banger of a head coach waiting to happen, then so be it, but if there's no sure-thing guarantee on the box out there, it's hard to debate that Terry is making one hell of a claim for the job that gets stronger with every game that is won in the Tournament.

The fact that there's not an obvious hire out there to make means that Del Conte could probably do worse than giving Terry a four-year deal that has some easy outs in a couple of years if all of this proves to be a Cinderella story that is creeping close to midnight. Maybe the timing for a Lloyd-like hire will be better. Maybe Terry runs with the job and never looks back.

Personally, I don't know how to feel about Terry's program-building chops. Will he recruit the Portal as well as he would need to? I just don't know.

What I do know is that with 4:42 left in the biggest game of the 2023 season to date, he had the chops and deft touch to drive this team into a round that the program hasn't known since 2008.

That's not an insignificant accomplishment.

No. 2 - Hometown Hero ...

A few weeks ago, Texas senior Dylan Disu was a hometown boy that was having a pretty good senior season on one of the best teams in the country.

Fast forward to the present and Disu is the hometown boy that is suddenly the best player on one of the best teams in the country.

What in the wild, wild world of Disuanity is happening?

From role player to Big 12 Tournament MVP to the guy you have to get the ball to when your season is on the line, Disu is a living Disney movie in real time. That he's the player that carried this team on his back when the pressure was its highest on Saturday means that Disu is the player entering the next round of play with The Glow.

If this team is on a one-possession game this week, is Disu the player you want the offense flowing through?

Sho'Nuff!

last-dragon.gif

No. 3 - Best sixth man ever?

Did you know that up until this season, the Longhorns have only had one Big 12 6th Man of the Year award winner in program history.

Take a moment to think about it. Let's see if you can think of the answer.

alex-trebek-trebek.gif

The answer is Kai Jones just two seasons ago when he averaged 8.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game on a team that we've all tried to forget. No offense to Jones, who played 27 minutes in a loss to the Sixers on Friday night as a member of the Charlotte Hornets. We've all just gone out of our way to forget Shaka Smart's final season.

Yet, there's no denying that Jones represents competition for Sir'Jabari Rice when we're talking about the best sixth men in Texas basketball history.

Brian Boddicker would have to get some run for his work (8.3 points, 3.9 rebounds and 43.9% three-point shooting) on the 2002-03 Final Four team. Gary Johnson averaged almost 10 points per game and 5+ rebounds per game in 53 games off the bench in 2008-09 and 2009-10.

There are others, I suppose. Perhaps I'm living in the moment, but it's hard for me to overlook the fact that Sir'Jabari Rice is averaging 12.9 points and 3.6 assists, while shooting 45.7% from the floor and 36.4% from the three-point range. He's not been a good role player as much as he's been the best player on the team on a lot of big nights.

Rice didn't even play anywhere near his best game against Penn State on Saturday night, but his below-average performance still netted the second most points on the team (13), while going a perfect 4 for 4 from the free throw line.

Maybe what happens in the next week will define this more clearly, but Rice is the only player in this discussion that was more than a role player on a great team. He's become the guy that decides wins and losses on a lot of nights.

Who needs to start when you can just be the best impersonation of Manu Ginobili the Texas program has ever seen.

No. 4 - Scattershooting on the NCAA Tournament ...

... It's an incredible sign about the complete nature of this team that the Longhorns could go 1 for 13 from 3-point range in a contest that has a spot in the Sweet 16 on the line and still win. Penn State outscored Texas 24-3 from line-distance and still lost. Thank God for Disu.

... Xavier is going to be a hard out for the Longhorns in the next round, but that's the name of the game when you get to the second week of the Tournament.

... Going back to the home finale against Kansas, senior Marcus Carr has made just 7 of 25 (28%) from long-distance in six straight Texas wins. If you expand the same size back two more games, he's shooting 11 of 43 (25.6%). At some point, this team needs him to get hot from distance.

... This is a reminder of what these young men have to give up or miss out on in the name of pursuing the dream. Very little things truly come free in this life.

... How important is winning in March? Kansas won the regular-season title and its season was deemed more than a disappointment by not advancing beyond the round of 32. That might be harsh, but that's how success in this sport is defined, especially at a blue blood.

... With Marcus Sasser back in the line-up, Houston looked a lot more like Houston on Saturday night. Man, a Texas-Houston match-up for a spot in the Final Four would be something to behold.

... The NCAA has to stop ranking these Ivy League teams among the lowest of the low seeds. Nothing about what Princeton has done in its two wins is screaming that it is an underdog to No. 2 and No. 7 seeds.

... Keep your shirt on, Eric Musselman. Make it less about you and more about your team. You're 58 years old, man.

... Right on, Rick Barnes. Right on. You've suffered through enough disappointment in March over the years that he deserved a moment like the one on Saturday when his Vols knocked off Duke. A Final Four spot is there for the taking.

... Speaking of ex-Texas coaches, it's hard not to feel sorry for Shaka Smart, but you could see that Michigan State loss coming a mile away.

No. 5 - Monday-Night Rematch at Moody ...

Earlier this season, Louisville and Texas played each other in the Bahamas, with the Longhorns taking it on the chin when they just didn't play well enough in the fourth quarter.

Texas played that game without star point guard Rori Harmon.

That won't be a problem on Monday night when these two teams replay their November 20th match-up. Not only with the Longhorns have Harmon back in the line-up, but the game will be at home.

A win over a 24-11 team that escaped Drake by two points in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in the Moody Center is all that stands between the Longhorns making the Sweet 16.

It's by no means a sure thing, but with Sonya Morris back in the line-up after missing 10 games in February and most of March, the pieces are in place for this Texas team to set up a match-up with No. 1 seed Stanford....er... No.8-seed Ole Miss next weekend.

No. 6 - I hate to be that guy, but ...

I'm not sure that the Texas defensive line is as much of a strength as Anwar Richardson and Steve Sarkisian have indicated that it might be.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good.

Barryn Sorrell has a chance to be a first-team All-Big 12 player and the combo of Byron Murphy and T'Vondre Sweat are solid as a rock in the middle, even if none of this trio has ever consistently been one of the best players at their positions in the Big 12.

Meanwhile, the edge position is a complete question mark with nothing but young, unproven players in place to serve as possible answers, while the likes of Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton have served as mostly lackluster depth in the last three seasons. There's no one right now that truly serves as a quality back-up to Sorrell.

Weirdly, every single one of those players outside of the Jack position is currently filled with Tom Herman-recruited players, which serves as a reminder that Bo Davis has only landed one super-blue prospect (Colton Vasek) since he returned to the Texas program back in January of 2021.

As much as our confirmation bias wants us to believe that all of those mid-four star prospects will turn into stars, the math says that the Longhorns will do well if one out of the Justice Finkley, Jaray Bledsoe, Ethan Burke trio turns into an NFL-level talent. Hitting two out of those three would represent a massive development win for Davis and the rest of the Texas defensive coaches.

Yet, none of those guys are even borderline standouts up until now. None made a proper dent as players on the field in year one.

I'm not saying that the defensive line position isn't on its way to being pretty damn good, but I'm not willing to say that at the moment. Not when there isn't a single All-Big 12-level player returning from last season and the young depth on the roster is undeveloped.

From my perspective, there are three things that Davis has to do in the coming 12 months.

a. Develop those babies at the Jack position into players that will justify not going into the Portal for help.

b. Develop some depth at defensive tackle.

c. Land some super blue chip prospects.

There's still a LOT of work to do.

No. 7 - The best running back in the 2024 class ...

The Longhorns are the favorite to land the nation's No. 4 running back in Jerrick Gipson from the IMG Academy down in Florida.

He's Tashard Choice's guy at the running back position and everyone seems to agree that it might just be a relationship made in heaven.

That being said, I'm starting to become convinced that the best running back in the country resides roughly 200 miles north of Austin in Duncanville, Texas.

Some of you know that I have Duncanville's Caden Durham ranked as the state's top-ranked running back and the No. 6 player in my LSR Top 100 list for the Class of 2024, while Rivals ranks him as the No. 29 player in the state, which higher than ESPN (32), 247 (40) and On3 (44).

Honestly, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, especially after watching him set a new personal best (10.44) in the 100 meters this weekend in 50-degree weather in mid-March. This is a kid who ran for nearly 3,000 yards and scored 36 touchdowns in Class 6A last season and might have been the best player on a field full of talent in the state championship.

For a program that covets speed as much as anything with its skill players, consider me shocked that Texas isn't going all out for Durham.

View attachment 4011

Three more thoughts on the 100 meters final at the TSU Relays this weekend.

1. Jelani Watkins running a 10.35 this weekend is why I have him ranked 22nd in the state. He might not be a great football player yet and he might be tiny at 5-9, 150ish pounds, but 10.35 in mid-March is 10.35 in Mid-March.

Check out the in-state rankings of Watkins and the wide variety of thoughts:

ESPN: 7
247: 14
LSR: 22
Rivals: 60
On3: 61

2. If Durham did nothing else but run in the 10.4s for the rest of his high school career, he'd be bringing elite speed with him to the next level, but this is a guy that might be in the 10.3s by the end of this track season and he's only a junior. Don't let this kid go to Oklahoma.

3. Serious kudos to Duncanville sophomore wide receiver Dakorien Moore running a 10.63 at this point in his career. That's what it should look like for a guy competing for future 5-star consideration.

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) That's much easier said than done. There doesn't appear to be any interest from either of them right now.

(Buy) I've got this team playing in the national championship game.

(Sell) The women aren't that good.

(Buy) I don't know about jinxing the team, but I wouldn't do anything that upsets the apple-cart with this group. Leave that carrot dangling over everyone and see how far it takes you. Chris Del Conte shouldn't do anything until after the season.

(Sell) We wish.

(Sell) It's the most important position that needs improvement, but it's not the only position group that is a question mark. Yet, it can be argued that if Ewers plays better, everything else becomes secondary.

(Sell) I'm not going that far yet.

(Sell) I think Texas has a 65% of making the Elite 8, a 32.5% chance of making the Final Four, a 20% chance of making the championship game and a 7.7% chance of winning the title.

(Buy) That's probably about right.

(Sell) The BBQ ain't quite that good.

(Sell) I'll say fourth-place.

(Sell) Give me flour.

(Sell) I don't want either.

(Sell) HOAs don't bother me.

(Sell) Lake water doesn't bother me.

(Sell) Give me the beach.

(Buy) I'm not ready to buy that he lives up to his No. 1 overall ranking.

(Sell) Hell, no, he's not overrated.

No. 9 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... I don't know if the Texas baseball team has beaten a good team during its current 10-game winning streak, but building some confidence is better than losing it against good teams. It'll be fascinating to see just how much momentum this team has when it hosts a Texas Tech team that opened Big 12 play with a 2-1 series win over Oklahoma State, which included a 12-1 win on Sunday in Lubbock. In other Big 12 hardball news, Baylor took two of three at home against Kansas State, while Oklahoma took two of three at home against TCU.

... I'm not sure how much I would have liked the Brandin Cooks trade for Dallas if it was paying the full $18 million he'll receive this season, but giving up a fifth-round pick in 2023 and a sixth round pick in 2024, while only paying $12 million of his 2023 salary, feels like a risk worth taking, especially if it keeps them away from Odell Beckham Jr.

... The Cowboys recently added Draft compensatory picks in the 5th (No. 170 and No. 176) and sixth rounds (No. 212) in the 2023 NFL Draft and they turned those picks into Cooks (No. 170) and cornerback Stephon Gilmore (No. 176).

That leaves the Cowboys with the following picks in the Draft:

1st Round: 26th Overall
2nd Round: 58th Overall
3rd Round: 90th Overall
4th Round: 129th Overall
5th Round: 169th Overall
6th Round: 212th Overall
7th Round: 244th Overall

... It's kind of crazy to think that Aaron Rodgers streak of not going to the Super Bowl (13 years) is almost as long as UT's streak of missing the Sweet 16 (15 years).

... I don't really understand Real Madrid being so good in the Champions League and so average in every other competition. After losing on Sunday in El Clasico to Barcelona, Real Madrid is now 12 points behind first place in La Liga. I just don't get it. Signed, Liverpool fan.

... Austin FC looks like a team that rode its expected goals luck last season to a second-place finish and is now a middle of the pack MLS team as it regresses back to the mean. Not much about losing 2-0 to Houston on Saturday night felt like bad luck.

... Arsenal just keeps doing the damn thing.

... Jordan Spieth hasn't been picking up wins this month, but he's played really good golf for two weekends in a row, finishing tied for third at this weekend's Valspar Championship. We're three weeks away from Augusta National and it's coming together for Spieth at the right time.

... Leon Edwards isn't the most exciting fighter in the UFC, but the dude hasn't lost a fight since 2015. All he does is win.

... Here's hoping for more of these in 2023.

No. 10 - The List: Patrick Swayze Top 10 ...

It's kind of shocking that I've never done a Swayze list when you consider that he's a Texas boy through and through.

While attending Houston Waltrip High School and San Jac CC, his Wikipedia page says "he pursued multiple artistic and athletic skills, such as ice skating, classical ballet, and acting in school plays. He also played football during high school, hoping to receive a football scholarship for college, until a knee injury ended his career. He concurrently practiced martial arts such as Wushu, Taekwondo, and Aikido, which he used to channel his ‘self-deprecating rage.’"

That man did everything.

Let's get to the list.

10. Donnie Darko

This movie has apparently turned into a cult classic, but I just remember being kind of "meh" about it when the movie came out. Do I need to revisit it?

9. North and South

This made-for-TV miniseries was a big deal when it was released in the mid-80s and I'm pretty sure it was my introduction to Swayze at the age of 10. It's the only thing I remember about it.

8. Youngblood

Swayze, Rob Lowe and a young Keanu Reeves (in his first movie) in a hockey movie? Yes, please.

7. 11:14

If you haven't seen it, give it a look. It's quietly the best under-the-radar movie that Swayze has ever done.

6. Red Dawn

Rocky IV might have ended the Cold War, but Swayze and a bunch of kids helped turn around World War III.

5. The Outsiders

As someone that really enjoyed the 1967 novel by the same name, this film holds a special place in my heart. Stay gold, Darrel Curtis.

4. Ghost

His only Academy Award-nominated/winning project.

3. Point Break

How did his portrayal of Bodhi not get nominated for an Academy Award? Total BS.

2. Road House

The most re-watchable cable TV movie of all-time.

1. Dirty Dancing

This probably a top-5 all-time movie for me. I've seen it hundreds of times. That is not an exaggeration.

giphy.gif

I said it in the bracket reveal that I didn’t love the Colgate matchup, I was fine with because the 2 I wanted to avoid was Princeton and Montana State(ended up higher than a 15)

I remember when they played Arizona they said Princeton was close despite not really playing well or out of their minds. That creighton matchup is fascinating

Been saying for three months that 25+ wins and at least a Sweet 16 would make it hard for CDC to not give him the job. Good to see you finally coming. Look at the body of work for this team and you see there aren’t maybe but 4 or 5 better seasons in 50+ years of Texas hoops.
Yea, it's beginning to look like it should be Terry. But I wouldn't announce anything until after the tournament. That gives CDC a little more time and, considering how much the team likes Rodney, it just gives them one more element of motivation.

Yea, it's beginning to look like it should be Terry. But I wouldn't announce anything until after the tournament. That gives CDC a little more time and, considering how much the team likes Rodney, it just gives them one more element of motivation.

I would be surprised if it is Terry that it comes before the season ends. That being said, if it’s not then a hire probably needs to be inside 2 weeks of the season ending. April is huge for the Portal in hoops.

I said it in the bracket reveal that I didn’t love the Colgate matchup, I was fine with because the 2 I wanted to avoid was Princeton and Montana State(ended up higher than a 15)

I remember when they played Arizona they said Princeton was close despite not really playing well or out of their minds. That creighton matchup is fascinating
Creighton can hoop, man.

Reactions: Buddah318
I would be surprised if it is Terry that it comes before the season ends. That being said, if it’s not then a hire probably needs to be inside 2 weeks of the season ending. April is huge for the Portal in hoops.
100% correct.

given that TJ Ford, Ivey, KD and Lamarcus Aldridge seem to be publicly backing Terry as "their head coach" I think its probably a done deal. Doesnt hurt that he was primary recruiter for the 2 incoming 5* as well.

Whoever we hire as the head coach, having these guys on board with the hire can only help in recruiting. You want Durant especially to be invested in the program and selling recruits on the virtues and benefits of our head coach.

So this is more than simply a reason why Terry will get the job. It's a reason TO give Terry the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT